Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wolf Among Us - Fables Telltale adventure game

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Using items is not necessary to progress in the game...there are no puzzles? is thinking not required to advance? Hmm doesn't seem to be an adventure game to me. Not sure if I want to try it out.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Using items is not necessary to progress in the game...there are no puzzles? is thinking not required to advance? Hmm doesn't seem to be an adventure game to me. Not sure if I want to try it out.

There are no puzzles. At least not in this episode.

Multi-headed Cow

http://steamcommunity.com/id/multiheadedcow/recommended/250320

I was grumping about that on Steam. Like Toro said, 0 puzzles. There are a few SUPER light "Investigation" pieces that I'm fairly sure are gated until you've clicked everything and can advance, so they don't even have the light adventuring in LA Noire.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://steamcommunity.com/id/multiheadedcow/recommended/250320

I was grumping about that on Steam. Like Toro said, 0 puzzles. There are a few SUPER light "Investigation" pieces that I'm fairly sure are gated until you've clicked everything and can advance, so they don't even have the light adventuring in LA Noire.

The no puzzles thing really bothers me because mental challenge is my favorite aspect in adventure games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Episode 1 which means that I've used only one item for the entire duration of the episode. This is really shitty for an adventure game.

On the other hand, everything else is quite great.
As I see it, using items is not required to progress in the game, but they are usefull to get some new story tid-bits, or alter the story a little. It will also probably have some effect later on. Like when you give money to someone, and the game tells you that he/she will remember that.

... and then she dies killing all the possible consequences :P
Yeah. :D Athough there are at least one (maybe 2?) more instances when you can do that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In Lost Horizon I just made a cat toy out of measuring tape and a ball so the cat would move away from the flies so that I could suck them up with my mechanic's tool.

THIS IS ADVENTURE GAMING DAMMIT.

Multi-headed Cow

In Lost Horizon I just made a cat toy out of measuring tape and a ball so the cat would move away from the flies so that I could suck them up with my mechanic's tool.

THIS IS ADVENTURE GAMING DAMMIT.
Just because there are stupid puzzles doesn't mean that's an excuse for no puzzles. :rpgcodex:

aris

Arcane

1. It has an over-arching "puzzle": Who-dunnit?
  2. Of course, there is a good chance that that puzzle will solve itself, with no chance of choosing the wrong culprit. It would be cool as hell if you had to take the decision based on mixed and/or uncomplete evidence, and you might end up convicting the wrong guy, or that you can end up in a situation where you don't have sufficient evidence against anyone.
  3. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen, and it will probably be quite rail-roaded.
  4. It is cool that at the end, you got to choose your primary suspect though, which should impact the next episode quite heavily and possibly the whole. It gives me hope. But we will see how it unfolds.
  5. Fuck, where did the games go where it is actually possible to fail?
  6. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

1. . It would be cool as hell if you had to take the decision based on mixed and/or uncomplete evidence, and you might end up convicting the wrong guy, or that you can end up in a situation where you don't have sufficient evidence against anyone.
  2. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen, and it will probably be quite rail-roaded.
Well in the walking dead there were several instances when you had to accuse somebody, or take someone's side, and the story changed a little according to this. I would be surprised it this game was any different.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
And there're some major plot holes in this one. For example - the Magic Mirror. We were introduced it's properties, then the heroes completly forgotten about them SECONDS LATER. I'm talking about the Toad phone call. This a huge screw up in storytelling and design.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I've enjoyed the first episode quite immensely, it made me want to go back and finish TWD series.

Wasn't Snow White a major character in the Fables series? I really wasn't expecting to see her dead at the end of the episode. I thought it'd be Beauty, since I decided to not get involved in her relationship with the Beast.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Are you saying they should've just looked at the mirror to find out who was at Toad's? I guess that may have helped to reveal who the intruder was, or they could've just gone to Toad's apartment and find out like you do eventually. (Toad reveals it's one of the Tweedle brothers.)

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well i enjoyed it as a interactive movie type... However one thing is for sure i wont buy the next episodes... Why? Because its expensive as hell for the 1-2 hours of content that you get. I might wait for them to complete all of the episodes and then buy it at a steam sale. But i will buy it in the future thats for sure.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Well i enjoyed it as a interactive movie type... However one thing is for sure i wont buy the next episodes... Why? Because its expensive as hell for the 1-2 hours of content that you get. I might wait for them to complete all of the episodes and then buy it at a steam sale. But i will buy it in the future thats for sure.
I don't think that it is expensive, if you like these kind of games. One episode is at least 2 hours, more if you replay it to make different choices. A whole season is 10 hours for 25 bucks, it think you get enough content for you money.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I could go 2-3 times to the movies for the price of this game. So yeah, it is expensive and I'm not excited to see gaming "evolving" to the point where the length/price ratio is 3 times worst than movies... and what we get from it? The ability to press buttons while the story plays itself. Oh, and maybe change some minor stuff that happens, like what secondary character waves at you at the end...

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Going 2-3 times to the cinema = 3-5 hours. Buying a DVD with a single (relatively new) movie on it = about 15$. Buying a single (relatively new) movie on BluRay = 20-30$.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Compared with other mediums but compared with other games, Wolf Among Us, the whole series is going to cost more than $ 100,00 in dollars for more or less 10 hours in which 8 are going to be cutscenes but if you guys are talking in the Monopoly money we use as currency here in Brazil, the whole series would cost more than R$ 200,00, that is the double a PC game cost around here. I don't know why TellTale episodes are so fucking expensive, they don't have any gameplay on it and the graphics aren't exactly really advanced stuff.

aris

Arcane
  1. 20 euros in Europe. Some major misunderstanding here. Considering that the whole game will probably last around 10 hours. 20 euros is closer to being a bargain than being the standard price, as far as gametime/price goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom