Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Wolf Among Us - Fables Telltale adventure game

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
adventuregames.jpg

Heh.

Bt

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wish I could stand this QTE bullshit, because unlike their last few games the story, setting and art style of this one appeals to me.

Multi-headed Cow

Played most of episode 1. Seems possibly even more linear and adventure-lite than Walking Dead. Voice acting and style is great. Still suffers a bit from exceedingly long pauses in dialog where there shouldn't be any. Writing's been fine, though I have no idea how true it is to the source material. The investigations make LA Noire look deep. Enjoying the setting, might get me to read the comics.

Thus far as a slightly interactive cartoon it's :greatjob:, but as an adventure game it's absolutely horrendous.

Eyeball

Arcane
Zero interest in this garbage. Watch an LP of it if you want to, but Telltale hasn't made any actual games since their Monkey Island series, which was pretty fucking railroaded as it is.

Where is my Sam&Max season 4, you cunts?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Zero interest in this garbage. Watch an LP of it if you want to, but Telltale hasn't made any actual games since their Monkey Island series, which was pretty fucking railroaded as it is.

Where is my Sam&Max season 4, you cunts?
If they ever release Season 4, it would be full with QTEs.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played most of episode 1. Seems possibly even more linear and adventure-lite than Walking Dead. Voice acting and style is great. Still suffers a bit from exceedingly long pauses in dialog where there shouldn't be any. Writing's been fine, though I have no idea how true it is to the source material. The investigations make LA Noire look deep. Enjoying the setting, might get me to read the comics.

Thus far as a slightly interactive cartoon it's :greatjob:, but as an adventure game it's absolutely horrendous.
They managed to make something more shallow than LA Noire? The idea of paying 20 dollars for a cartoon episode really don't please me.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In the end, if Telltale can sacrifice good game design and integrity and put in half the effort for 5x the profit, I kind of get why they've decided to do it. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy their shitty games though. And it's a pity, as I like the Fables comics a lot.

Multi-headed Cow

They managed to make something more shallow than LA Noire? The idea of paying 20 dollars for a cartoon episode really don't please me.
The few little investigations I've had so far seem to point that way. The biggest question will be how the C&C is, but given how that turned out with Walking Dead I doubt this one's gonna be much better.

aris

Arcane
  1. Finished the first episode. The formula is the same as in walking dead with the same QTE fights. So far it also seems more cutscene-heavy and linear.
  2. Art, voice acting and the minimalistic music is absolutely outstanding, and the story which is pretty different in tone from walking dead, this one being a murder mystery.
  3. The source material is also absolutely great, and a great take on the classic fairy tales.
  4. The C&C seems more meaningful this time around, we will see how it unfolds.
  5. I will follow this with interest.

aris

Arcane
  1. By the way, there was one entry in the book of fables I didn't get from the episode. The very last one. Did anyone get that one? How?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
  1. By the way, there was one entry in the book of fables I didn't get from the episode. The very last one. Did anyone get that one? How?
I didn't get that from my first playthrough either, but I got it in the second. I don't really know what triggered it though.
The only think I can think of that in the last fight with the big white dude, I ripped of his arm. The last Fable book is Bigby's bad wolf form by the way.

"Game" is absolutely amazing by the way. Yes, it is an interactive movie. So fucking what, I am not elitist enough to say that a genre like this has no right to exist. It has just as many right as FPS or RTS or RPGs. It is a genre in itself. Just like japanese visual novels.The writing, characters, music, graphics is outstanding, it is all that matter for me in a game like this. It would be even better if it had some good puzzles, but it is good as it is for me.

aris

Arcane
  1. Bahamut: No, I got that one.
  2. J_C: Yeah, that's probably it, I didn't rip off his arm. The more violent he his, the more he turns in to the wolf, probably.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I didn't get that from my first playthrough either, but I got it in the second. I don't really know what triggered it though.
The only think I can think of that in the last fight with the big white dude, I ripped of his arm. The last Fable book is Bigby's bad wolf form by the way.

"Game" is absolutely amazing by the way. Yes, it is an interactive movie. So fucking what, I am not elitist enough to say that a genre like this has no right to exist. It has just as many right as FPS or RTS or RPGs. It is a genre in itself. Just like japanese visual novels.The writing, characters, music, graphics is outstanding, it is all that matter for me in a game like this. It would be even better if it had some good puzzles, but it is good as it is for me.
The problem is that alot of retards, insist in calling it an adventure game. It is not a question of people thinking that this shouldn't exist but the difference between this and a real adventure game is big and should be made clear. You got that it is an interactive fiction but there is a legion of retards out there who don't. It is important to make the difference clear or we will end with the average steamtard thinking: "Hey, I tought this thing was an adventure game like Walking dead but this thing is full of puzzles and shit, I was lied to, I want a refund!" You just need to spend a little of time on steam forums to see such people. This confusion already happened with RPGs, there are people that seriously think CoD is a RPG because you get levels. While I think such retards should die on fire, their opinions are far from harmless.

Calling Walking Dead/Wolf among us adventure games is disingenous marketing, you can easily end on a situation where all adventure games are expected to be like Wolf Among Us if they expect to get publishers contracts or sell something. I can see gamming journalists : "Puzzles are so outdated, TellTale inovated and recreated the adventure game genre. There is the necessity for adventure games to get with the times." People that are inteligent can see that this is bullshit but unfortunately most people aren't.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I remember when I once thought Telltale was going to be a worthy successor to Lucas Arts. Hoooooo boy.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The problem is that alot of retards, insist in calling it an adventure game. It is not a question of people thinking that this shouldn't exist but the difference between this and a real adventure game is big and should be made clear. You got that it is an interactive fiction but there is a legion of retards out there who don't. It is important to make the difference clear or we will end with the average steamtard thinking: "Hey, I tought this thing was an adventure game like Walking dead but this thing is full of puzzles and shit, I was lied to, I want a refund!" You just need to spend a little of time on steam forums to see such people. This confusion already happened with RPGs, there are people that seriously think CoD is a RPG because you get levels. While I think such retards should die on fire, their opinions are far from harmless.

Calling Walking Dead/Wolf among us adventure games is disingenous marketing, you can easily end on a situation where all adventure games are expected to be like Wolf Among Us if they expect to get publishers contracts or sell something. I can see gamming journalists : "Puzzles are so outdated, TellTale inovated and recreated the adventure game genre. There is the necessity for adventure games to get with the times." People that are inteligent can see that this is bullshit but unfortunately most people aren't.

Everyone even remotely interested in it (or classic adventure games) can see what it is. If they'd have advertised 'deep and complex puzzles' and the like you may have had a point, but they didn't. Oh well, time for hipster central.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Is the "movie" part good in comparison to actual movies/TV shows, or just to other games? Also, are the interactive parts more meaningful/interesting than they were in TWD? Like I said on the previous page, if you want to be an interactive movie, you better be able to compete with actual movies. TWD failed at this quite miserably, imo.

aris

Arcane
  1. Bullshit. TWD can easily compete with many of the TV-shows when it comes to story.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Is the "movie" part good in comparison to actual movies/TV shows, or just to other games? Also, are the interactive parts more meaningful/interesting than they were in TWD? Like I said on the previous page, if you want to be an interactive movie, you better be able to compete with actual movies. TWD failed at this quite miserably, imo.
Well I think that TWD didn't fail, so you probably won't agree with my judgement. I think the Fables game is even better than TWD, although this is just the first episode.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Episode 1 which means that I've used only one item for the entire duration of the episode. This is really shitty for an adventure game.

On the other hand, everything else is quite great.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Finished Episode 1 which means that I've used only one item for the entire duration of the episode. This is really shitty for an adventure game.

As I see it, using items is not required to progress in the game, but they are usefull to get some new story tid-bits, or alter the story a little. It will also probably have some effect later on. Like when you give money to someone, and the game tells you that he/she will remember that.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

As I see it, using items is not required to progress in the game, but they are usefull to get some new story tid-bits, or alter the story a little. It will also probably have some effect later on. Like when you give money to someone, and the game tells you that he/she will remember that.

... and then she dies killing all the possible consequences :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom