Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Map exploration isn't really a gameplay element in Mass Effect at all, so yes, obviously.

Ok, that gives me more hope. How do the missions work: you go to the place once and can never go back?

Yes I know I know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, that gives me more hope. How do the missions work: you go to the place once and can never go back?

Uh, it depends. All Deus Ex games are essentially linear mission-based FPS/RPGs, but some "missions" are set in hubs where you can explore a fairly large area of a city and do various sidequests within it. Within each such hub, you can come and go as you please. Once you're done there, the story goes on and you can't go back (although you might return later under different circumstances).

DragoFireheart

Uh, it depends. All Deus Ex games are essentially linear mission-based FPS/RPGs, but some "missions" are set in hubs where you can explore a fairly large area of a city and do various sidequests within it. Within each such hub, you can come and go as you please. Once you're done there, the story goes on and you can't go back (although you might return later under different circumstances).

Based on what you said, it seems like this is a one-playthrough sort of game. Very low replay value.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mass Effect is a good analogy. The level designs are similarly limited in scope.

Meh, maybe I'll pass then.

He's wrong. FFS Metro it's nothing like Mass Effect.

Uh... the hubs are as small as Mass Effect. The locations/maps themselves obviously allow for more exploration but there's maybe... half dozen quests per hub at most.

Honestly, DragoFireheart if you haven't played the original you should go play that instead.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's the only worthwhile way to play so you'd be doing it the first time around. Playing the game as a straight up shooter would be awful.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Based on what you said, it seems like this is a one-playthrough sort of game. Very low replay value.

Not really. There's some C&C along the way and the environments are big and detailed enough that you'll often discover new things in subsequent playthroughs. Especially in the first game. Plus of course you can try out a different character build for each new playthrough.

Seriously, go play Deus Ex. WTF is wrong with you.

DragoFireheart

Seriously, go play Deus Ex. WTF is wrong with you.

Ignoring the fact that my computer's graphics card is being funky, there are many things wrong with me besides not playing a niche Codex recommendation. Many things.

Heresiarch

Prophet

fanboy mode activated

The various replies from you in this page are giving me repeated facepalms.

First off, just fucking play Deus Ex 1 at least. It's almost a crime for playing Mass Effect games but not this. Replayability? People replay it a dozen times and still can discover new stuff every time. There's a reason why whenever someone post a screenshot of it, dozens of people would reinstall it immediately.

Secondly, while Deus Ex: HR has smaller areas compared to DX1, mostly due to tech limit (in one of the commentary, the dev stated they hate putting in those decontamination areas to split up maps, but it was necessary because the engine's caching can't handle that), it's still sufficiently large and at least much bigger and more interesting than, say, the largest dungeons in Oblivion/Skyrim or biggest areas in ME. In fact, comparing DX:HR's areas to ME1 and 2 is a blasphemy. In ME you can't jump, sneak, interact with, or even find a meaningful second-route to finish a mission. All you can do is find cover, pick up ammos and shoot stuff. In all the DX games, each hubs have tons of hidden messages, items, and side quests to find. Tons of NPCs with unique dialogues to listen to. Lots of different approach to one solution. You can smooth talk guards, sneak from a backdoor, or even go full gun blazing. You can kill everyone, tranquilize everyone, or just ghost through the whole game like Thief. And even the game will acknowledge the way you do missions - people will (sarcastically) call you Ghandi if you didn't kill anyone for a mission, or if you go trigger happy in a certain mission, newspaper will tell of a horrible story of someone rampaged through a certain area. Not to mention how much interactivity the areas have: smashing through walls to knock someone out, moving vending machines around to use as cover, making noises to attract patrols and then hit him with a stun rod/gun...

Seriously I don't think we should try to "sell" you the game. The whole series - yes, including DX:IW - is unique and deserve to be one of the best cyberpunk FPS-RPG that have both parts (almost) right. Not playing them (especially DX1), let alone DENOUNCING them, IMO is as stupid as of not playing SS2 and VTMB while calling himself big fan and expert at FPS-RPG.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

fanboy mode activated

The various replies from you in this page is giving me repeated facepalms.

First off, just fucking play Deus Ex 1 at least. It's almost a crime for playing Mass Effect games but not this. Replayability? People replay it a dozen times and still can discover new stuff every time. There's a reason why whenever someone post a screenshot of it, dozens of people would reinstall it immediately.

Secondly, while Deus Ex: HR has smaller areas compared to DX1, mostly due to tech limit (in one of the commentary, the dev stated they hate putting in those decontamination areas to split up maps, but it was necessary because the engine's caching can't handle that), it's still sufficiently large and at least much bigger and more interesting than, say, the largest dungeons in Oblivion/Skyrim or biggest areas in ME. In fact, comparing DX:HR's areas to ME1 and 2 is a blasphemy. In ME you can't jump, sneak, interact with, or even finding a meaningful second-route to finish a mission. All you can do is find cover, pick up ammos and shoot stuff. In all the DX games, each hubs have tons of hidden messages, items, and side quests to find. Tons of NPCs with unique dialogues to listen to. Lots of different approach to one solution. You can smooth talk guards, sneak from a backdoor, or even go full gun blazing. You can kill everyone, tranquilize everyone, or just ghost through the whole game like Thief. And even the game will acknowledge the way you do missions - people will (sarcastically) call you Ghandi if you didn't kill anyone for a mission, or if you go trigger happy in a certain mission, newspaper will tell of a horrible story of someone rampaged through a certain area. Not to mention how much interactivity the areas have: smashing through walls to knock someone out, moving vending machines around to use as cover, making noises to attract patrols and then hit him with a stun rod/gun...

Seriously I don't think we should try to "sell" you the game. The whole series - yes, including DX:IW - is unique and deserve to be one of the best cyberpunk FPS-RPG that have both parts (almost) right. Not playing them (especially DX1), let alone DENOUNCING them, IMO is as stupid as of not playing SS2 and VTMB while calling himself big fan and expert at FPS-RPG.

Amen.

DraQ

Arcane
There's a reason why whenever someone post a screenshot of it, dozens of people would reinstall it immediately.
It even became a fucking meme:
Deus%20Ex.jpeg

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't want to sound like being brainwashed by the devs (though probably is), but I really like how sincere and actually have enthusiasm as they talk about the game.
You know who else sounds very sincere and enthusiastic when talking about their game?

Pretty much every dev.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So bros I was looking for an RPG with guns.

It can be a aRPG because I like New Vegas even with its terrible combat. Would I like this game?
Imagine New Vegas with bad pulp writing, very few side quests, minimal and broken progression mechanics, barely any player choice, some mediocre stealth sections, 100% more vent crawling, and pretty decent mole-popping. Art design and music are pretty good, I will give Eidos that.

Basically, f you're looking for a stealth-action RPG with guns, play Alpha Protocol. If you're looking for a polished, consolized, action-stealth game with RPG elements, play Dishonored. If you're looking for an action-stealth game with guns and RPG elements that explores transhumanist themes, play the original Deus Ex or Invisible War.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Alpha Protocol was better in every way except graphics and cover-shooting.

Invisible War, in my opinion, had much better story, player freedom, and character progression. I'd say it's an underrated gem. Level design was really solid despite the technical limitations on level size. Hacking actually let you do some cool stuff in that one - video cameras were relevant to stealth and you could take control of robots. The RPG mechanics were admittedly simplified from the original, but still much better than what they did in HR. You could join any of the four or five factions right from the start of the game instead of having a three-button choice right at the end. Human Revolution wins out again in terms of graphics and cover shooting.

Both of those games are technically flawed but ambitious. Human Revolution is technically solid, but doesn't innovate in any way and is actually a big step back from its predecessors in terms of freedom and RPG design. It's not terrible, it's just totally mediocre all the way through. There's nothing really good or interesting about it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The stealth gameplay in HR is about 100x better than both Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

The conversation system is also really cool and innovative (but partially let down by the conversation content).

Also, HR blows away Alpha Protocol with it's set pieces, which are actually interactive and branching and how set pieces should be done.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So bros I was looking for an RPG with guns.

It can be a aRPG because I like New Vegas even with its terrible combat. Would I like this game?
Imagine New Vegas with bad pulp writing,
No.
very few side quests,
It has enough, and the main quest has enough content.
minimal and broken progression mechanics,
Minimal. No. Broken? Fixed in directors cut.
barely any player choice,
BS
some mediocre stealth sections,
Stealth is OK.
100% more vent crawling,
Yep.
and pretty decent mole-popping. Art design and music are pretty good, I will give Eidos that.
Yep.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Stealth was okay in Human Revolution, not anything special. Dishonored did 1st person stealth far, far better. As for Alpha Protocol, I'd say it was about equal, but I'll admit maybe HR had an edge there. New Vegas, yeah, wasn't a stealth game.

The conversation 'system' in Deus Ex: Human Revolution is sort of promising at first, but unfortunately it's only used about 4 times in the entire game, and it falls into the win-button trap if you have that augmentation, or meta-knowledge. Alpha Protocol had a similar idea with the stances and timed responses, but did it way better, and did it first. Not to mention AP had good writing and voice acting, while HR did not.

DragoFireheart

It doesn't have to innovative or be the next Planescape: Torment.

Is the directors cut worth 30 potatoes?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alpha Protocol had a similar idea with the stances and timed responses, but did it way better
I disagree, it had better content, but a worse system.

Not to mention AP had good writing and voice acting, while HR did not.
HR has excellent voice acting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom