Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

I don't accept any Deus Ex game outside of the original as canon anyway ;d You can't make them fit together even if you tried, so whatever.
Me neither. I don't think it manages to justify its premise in vacuum either though. If it's supposed to be an analogy for racial conflict, it fails to portray that conflict in any meaningful way except, as you said, being forced to take everything for granted. Not much you can build on a shoddy infrastructure like that :P

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This universe's central conflict (augs vs naties) is just dumb and absurd. Not only does the game fail to provide good reasoning behind why such a large portion of the population would be against augmentations - to the point that there would be riots in the streets -

I don't know if you've looked out of the window recently but we're living in timeline where during deadly global pandemic there are people rioting on streets just for the lightest of restrictions and shooting others for being asked to wear lightweight fabric masks.

And you can't see why there'd be riots for physically altering humans and installing all sorts of shit on them?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I've never been too fond of this game, but to be honest I think I've only played it once. People keep saying it's great so I thought of giving it a second chance, this time around playing vanilla for better performance and to avoid the slog that is The Missing Link in the middle of the game. I was liking it at the beginning but now the flaws are all too apparent again. Some things that greatly annoy me:

-The XP system is still utterly retarded and the complete opposite of the original. Having every single little action rewarding you XP makes the game a bore because you're chasing every little nugget of experience you can get. I don't know why bother giving passwords when you simply are going to hack everything for XP and goodies. It rewards also pointless exploration (like doors that go nowhere) and gimps you if you don't want to play a saint (I try to vary my approach just to avoid playstyle burnout, even if it grants you less experience).

-The artstyle is good, but completely at odds with OG DX. I'm never feeling I'm playing Deus Ex, just a competent immersive sim.

-Hubs are way too big, which results in side quests being a chore. You get sick of traversing the whole city for fedex quests (A asks you to do B in the other side of the city, you do B but that only opens C, complete C and now have to inform A back). There aren't too many of these but it burns you out because you have to backtrack over and over in massive hubs, all that while limiting sprint to a few seconds (what a terrible decision).

-The level design has moments of brilliance, but also many lackluster ones. Besides the obvious vents to bypass the whole level and achieve an easy ghost rating, you rarely have a real reason to engage with the enemy. The excessive number of covers, the lack of visibility mechanic (out-of-sight is the only thing that matters), enemies not bothering to guard the outskirts of the map… all that makes stealth feel unrewarding, feeling more like a rhythm game of jumping from cover to cover whenever you're not using awesome vents. The original DX was a game of instinct, much more akin to Thief.

-Half of the augs are simply worthless, there are only there to provide a help to casual gamers. Also, I don't think the system succeeds in providing a decent roleplaying experience, not enough "builds" you can think of that could give some needed spice.

-Game also feels too long for its type of game, even without The Missing Link. I'm in Montreal now and feeling some burnout, and knowing I'm just barely at the middle of the game doesn't fill me with joy. I've unlocked already most of my desired augs for my intended playstyle and I'm not looking forward to unlock many more… still have 5 praxis points that I haven't spent. Game railroads into being a jack of all trades.

-The world, despite being full of detail, feels less alive than Deus Ex. NPCs say nothing of interest, it's less interactive.

Basically, I don't think I'm gonna change my view on this game. Don't get me wrong, it's decent and better than the modern popamole, but I still don't get why many say it's almost as good as the original. And I don't have nostalgia googles for DX, as I played it for the first time in my 20s, many more years later after its release. I don't think I'm going to finish this playthrough to be honest.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Anytime you think you might have fun playing DX:HR, you might as well play MGS3 instead because it's basically a DX-inspired MGS clone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom