Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Thread: Director's Cut™

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Finished the "missing link" section of the DC. You get the guns you were carrying previously not too long after beginning this section and then at the very end there's a pseudo-skill reset where it gives you the praxis points you had previously(and other previous gear).

The integration of ML into the game is well done with the exception of one thing, there's redundancy with the CG scenes where you see the scene of Jensen stowing away in a pod twice in a row due to the fact that the second scene was in the prior DLC to show where it tied into the story.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I haven't dedicated too much time on this (been addicted to Civ5 right now), only reached the office of the manufacturing plant. But from what I've seen so far from the commentaries, it really brought out a lot of interesting things, from minor tidbits to major insights:
- Without the commentaries, I never realized a lot of funny stuff: like the cans of golden paints (which is an inside joke for the gold, orange, yellow tone everywhere), how the various weird doings of AI, etc.
- The commentaries pointed out a lot of things that I've missed and would probably never find out by myself. For example, you can SHOOT THE BOMB to rescue the hostages (which is completely legit and well explained), there is a shooting going on below the glass skybridge, you can throw trashcans to destroy turrets, how a lot of the seemingly random clutters (like computers) actually have a meaning, etc.
- The devs give a lot of interesting and probably insightful background stories of the design, and even many confessions on the shittier things of the game. We all know if you delay too long to take the first mission it will make all the hostages killed, but the devs almost completely forgot to make that part work out and would embarass themselves. How the AI sucked because it was developed after some of the maps were designed. How even the devs themselves were not happy with some of the inconsistencies, like how Adam would miss his coat in a cutscene.
- The explanations behind some designs, and even some stories behind how the team cooperate or even bricker over some decisions make me appreciate the game's aspects more. Like how the humanity front was originally designed to be heavy armored soldiers with high firepower (lol), how the air vent cover, which its well designed operating animation seems like a given, was a PITA to design, how they put in thoughts on handling cutscenes (like: Adam never use a gun in cutscenes), and so on.

I don't want to sound like being brainwashed by the devs (though probably is), but I really like how sincere and actually have enthusiasm as they talk about the game. I especially love how Jonathan comments on the game's designs, JF on his decisions, Mary on the writing (well, just about everyone on their own jobs), they're all very honest and witty, and aren't shy from the various mistakes or ridiculous things that irked not only players but themselves too. It's almost like watching professional gamer commentaries on a game (though of course they can't call "this game is shit" like real gamers). Last but not the least, the way the game implement the commentaries (their own portrait with subtitles - just like in-game NPCs) feels really natural, not only because it's not intrusive, but also these guys talk very naturally and you can feel they're "into it" (I could say they're better than many real voice actors out there).

I really recommend this. It shows that the devs do have a passion and love on the game, and despite how many things didn't go as well as supposed to be, just listening to how they confess on the various less than perfect issues make me embrace the game even more.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Is there a key to stop commentary playback? Because I don't always want to listen through the whole thing.

I don't find one either. The only way to stop is to go to the menu and switch it off, return to the game, then go back and switch it on :/

Heresiarch

Prophet

Heresiarch

Prophet
So what is exactly new? Can someone who played it summarize?
- overhauled boss battles so you don't need to hard fight them anymore.
- hours of developer commentaries everywhere (automatically triggered during cutscenes, manually activated while normal gameplay) which are all very interesting to read. If you liked the original game, you'll love the ton of background stories of the game's design.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Made it to the third boss in the Omega Ranch(who's actually now the fourth one after the missing link one) and they've added two separate second floor areas where you can either hack a terminal to turn bots against him and the other one involves hacking to access a laser rifle or punching through a wall to access it through a duct on top.

Curious to see how the final one was altered....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think they altered the final "boss". It didn't have the problems the three actual boss fights did.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
So I've encountered the FPS drop and stuttering issue. And thanks to the steam community link posted here before, the solution was...open Google Chrome and play. WTF? It works btw

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I don't think they altered the final "boss". It didn't have the problems the three actual boss fights did.

Just finished doing that boss and that appears to be the case. I did notice for the first time that there's a terminal that you can hack to cut life support to those three women but I think that was always there based on Zhao's reaction.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted

Just finished doing that boss and that appears to be the case. I did notice for the first time that there's a terminal that you can hack to cut life support to those three women but I think that was always there based on Zhao's reaction.

Did you notice the shape that the nodes were arranged in?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So bros I was looking for an RPG with guns.

It can be a aRPG because I like New Vegas even with its terrible combat. Would I like this game?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes. Just don't expect an open world game, like New Vegas. There are small hubs, where you do quest. Similar to Bloodlines.

DragoFireheart

Yes. Just don't expect an open world game, like New Vegas. There are small hubs, where you do quest. Similar to Bloodlines.

Small Hubs like Mass Effect? Finite number of quests?

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mass Effect is a good analogy. The level designs are similarly limited in scope.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect is a good analogy. The level designs are similarly limited in scope.

Meh, maybe I'll pass then.

He's wrong.

Ok, try to sell me the good points.

*shrug* Did you like the first Deus Ex? It's basically the same kind of thing but with somewhat more cramped level design (but nowhere near as small and cramped as Invisible War). And by "cramped" I mean the levels are large, but the individual rooms within said levels are usually smaller.

As far as exploration goes, you've got vents to crawl through, crates you can pick up, push around and jump on, and even a special augmentation for punching through weakened walls. The layouts feel a bit more artificial than they were in the original Deus Ex, but they're fun enough.

DragoFireheart

*shrug* Did you like the first Deus Ex?

I have never played a Deus Ex game.

It's basically the same kind of thing but with slightly more cramped level design (but nowhere near as small and cramped as Invisible War). And by "cramped" I mean the levels are large, but the individual rooms within said levels are usually smaller.

As far as exploration goes, you've got vents to crawl through, crates you can pick up, push around and jump on, and even a special augmentation for punching through weakened walls. The layouts feel a bit more artificial than they were in the original Deus Ex, but they're fun enough.

Are these "levels" bigger and more interesting than crap in Mass Effect 1 and 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom