Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, E3 did to BT4's funding what the weekend couldn't
It's not E3. It's their stubborn decision to use checkpoints even though people are understandably very unhappy with it.
:decline: of inXile.

He talked about implementing a restricting save system before the weekend in his first Q&A video, and only spoke about it again a few hours ago, so no

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He did not say they're using checkpoints, people ... save points were mentioned on his checklist of all possible save game structures. Boneheads heard the words "save points" and ignored everything else.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't have a problem with a restrictive save system but again I only play Xcom on Ironman so I am not an average consumer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://thebardstalerpg.tumblr.com/post/121808260500/red-boots-dlc-unlocked

Red Boots DLC Unlocked!
You have impressed us yet again! Fan Art milestone 2 has been reached by our backer community, and you have unlocked achievement 12! The Red Boots DLC is officially a-go for The Bard’s Tale IV!

You can read the full Enclave of the Fairy Host story text right here on Tumblr. Let’s keep those achievements rolling in!

Room 12 Unlocked: Panic drives you into this room in a blind rush, which is unfortunate, because you find yourself facing ninety-nine Einarr berserkers. Well, okay, only nine, but that’s plenty. They’re all well over six feet tall and frothing with rage.

Behind them, the Einarr you saw in the room of bones stands on a wheeled cart loaded with looted treasure. "Get them, brothers!” he shouts. “I’ll guard the spoils!”

You turn to run back into the previous room and find that its ceiling is now waist high and dropping rapidly.

“We shouldn’t be running anyway,” says Shanko. “Running’s for elves. Attack!” And with that he charges straight at the berserkers as they thunder forward.

“Scatter!” cries Anders, and casts a spell of darkness and a spell of cat’s eyes in quick succession. You dodge the berserkers as they blunder blindly past you, then attack them from behind, your enchanted eyes easily piercing the sudden night. It’s totally unfair.

In moments, the treasure is yours. But where did the cowardly Einarr go?

This story is becoming a bit tongue-in-cheek. :)

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Man... they really push my patience with their non-existing, meaningless updates.
Every update they make, they just keep on repeating the same things they've told the interviews prior to the KS.
Nothing new or substantial. Not one thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Like I said, this campaign is basically on hiatus until E3 is over. They made it 38 days for a reason. Hopefully inXile have something planned to jump-start it back to life after the weekend.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
True. Still annoying.

Btw. regarding the Twitter quote about the talkative NPCs... again he's just twittering something that was already clear from the beginning. It was clear as soon as this stretchgoal was announced. It's like inXile just keeps on rolling over the same old phrases. Or is this a service for the dumb people? That they don't understand anything without it being repeated multiple times?

I can see 12 comments on that youtube video page and all of them are InxIle dicksucking.

Kickstarter comments.

So, E3 did to BT4's funding what the weekend couldn't:

dailypledges.png

There's actually some kind of weird fucking fight going on there.

No follow-up vids? Or lack of announcements...

Diablo169

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/1268769

Mangar, Lagoth, Tarjan and…Monte Cook?

Hey Exiles!

It's E3 2015 week, and it's hectic times all around. We have a great update for you all. We have lots to share, including some new talent we're hoping to have join the Bard's Tale team, some glimpses at the game's story background, and even a full track from the brilliant Mark Morgan!

First, here is a quick tour of our E3 showing. Brian, Thomas, Joey Betz and myself stopped by sunny LA to demo Wasteland 2 running on Xbox One. While it’s not Bard’s Tale related, it’s still exciting to show off.

31c8d88037c11c1acd1e494f180e2e81_original.jpg

Show-goers enjoying Wasteland 2 on console for the first time.
aee067281a5753056f85d824246471ca_original.jpg

Brian being interviewed by the press. This was not the first nor the last.
Monte Cook Prepares to Join the Ranks!
Monte Cook of Monte Cook Games will also be joining us as a stretch goal at $1,400,000! Monte Cook, as many of you may know due to his involvement with our other game Torment: Tides of Numenera, is an acclaimed author and game designer. Monte has written hundreds of tabletop roleplaying game books and articles and won numerous awards. Starting out with the Rolemaster and Champions game lines, he soon went to work for TSR where he worked on Dungeons & Dragons, including the 3rd Edition, and the much-celebrated Planescape setting. More recently, he is of course well known for creating the Numenera tabletop setting, The Strange and much more!

6b062206031fb8d4d180f55babd89d5f_original.png

Monte will be taking charge of the design for one of our dungeons with your support. We look forward to working with him to deliver some mind-bending dungeon designs!

Mark Morgan's First Song
As some of you may know, we have a long-standing relationship with the legendary RPG composer Mark Morgan, who is well known both for his work on the Fallout games, Planescape: Torment, and now, Wasteland 2 and the upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera. Mark has always been a fantastic fit for our games and with The Bard's Tale IV we feel that he will be able to deliver some excellent music as well.

Today, we're excited to offer you an extended peek at an early sampling at some of his work on the game. If it sounds familiar, the first 15 seconds of this song were used in the intro scene of our Kickstarter video.

Some of you may remember this song's inspiration – The Traveler's Tune – from the original Commodore 64 version of The Bard's Tale, and Mark has remastered and expanded the song featuring brand-new instrumentation and arrangements.

The Old and the New
Today we'd also like to give you a taste of some of the story and lore from the game. Many of our backers have been asking us how this game will fit into the world of Skara Brae. Our lead writer Nathan Long is happy to satisfy some of that curiosity...

In a hundred and fifty years even the bravest deeds become nothing more than bard's tales. Most people today in Skara Brae don’t believe Mangar, Lagoth Zanta, Tarjan, or the brave adventurers who defeated them and their horrors were ever more than legends - and those that do still believe keep silent.

Ever since the Church of the Sword Father civilized the land of Caith and chased out the heathen a hundred years ago, the new Skara Brae, built on top of its ruined predecessor, has become a god-fearing town, where it is dangerous to admit to harboring such superstitious notions or knowing anything of the old ways.

Which is unfortunate, because it's starting to look like the trolls and bloodfiends and hobgoblins from all those fairy stories have returned. Terrible things have been happening in Skara Brae - people slaughtered in their beds by unseen beasts, holy sites desecrated, folk disappearing between field and home, statues of the Mad God found in bloodstained back alleys, and the Song of the Maiden heard again for the first time in a generation. And worse, the people most equipped to deal with these old threats have been made outlaws.

Since the advent of the Fatherites, the practice of magic has been made a sin, and the old races of elf, dwarf, and trow have been banished, with all known ways to their realms smashed and sealed. And now, unable to stop the horrors that have been preying upon Skara Brae, the church has decided to put the blame for them on the Adventurer's Guild, shutting it down and calling its members cultists, witches, and pagans who must be burned at the stake for their unholy crimes.

But though the Guild is boarded up, it lives on in the Skara Brae beneath Skara Brea. Heroes gather nightly in the old sewers, exchanging rumors of fresh footprints in ancient crypts, of lights in the ruined towers of foes centuries dead, and of the Fuath and the Famhair, and a madman who would sacrifice the world to bring about their return.

With the Fatherites turning their backs on the truth and hunting down those who would tell it, the adventurers know they have no one to turn to but themselves. To survive, the elves and the dwarfs and the trow, and the men and women of Caith who still keep the old ways, must now band together and protect a land that wants them dead.

Community Updates
Some of you keeping an eye out may have noticed that milestone 12 has been unlocked! Thanks to an excellently comedic film script by Carlos Uribe (which you can read here), the FREE Red Boots DLC has been unlocked for all Bard's Tale IV backers at $20 or above (that is, anyone who is getting the game). If you’re wondering, “why red boots DLC?”, well, you'll want to check out the team's previous game, Wasteland 2!

2b378be132fc32c2ec0d6818fbfb047c_original.jpg

If you haven’t done so already, check out the full dungeon story text on our Tumblr page. Nathan's itching to continue the tale, so let's keep those achievements coming! We're close to getting a few more, and as you spread the word, it not only helps the campaign but unlocks cool goodies for everyone!

That's all for now, everyone! We hope you enjoyed this sneak peek into the lore. With your continued support we will be able to bring on an amazing roster of talent and make The Bard's Tale IV an even more epic game. As if that possible… :)

Chris Keenan
Project Lead – The Bard’s Tale IV
@RangerKeenan

Kz3r0

Arcane
Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo 4h4 hours ago
The @RichardGarriott voice work stretch goal negotiation is complete!

richardandrew3.png
So you've made it this far, after all. After all that has happened, still you live. You are difficult to kill. I must admit I underestimated you.

richardandrew2.png
I think it's about time I stopped hiding in the shadows. My name is Werdna. Andrew. Richard. Lord British. "My lord". The legendary hero the whole world has awaited? That'd be me. I go by many names.

gaider1.jpg
I hope you have prepared a proper speech, villain.

richardandrew2.png
Villain? Ahaha. I'm much less of a villain than you are.

todd1.png
We are?

richardandrew2.png
Look at your alignment and be frank with yourselves for a moment. You are all MY progeny! I'm the one who gave you life, brought you and the industry to where you currently are, and I'm the one to usher the world into a new era. I am the alpha and the omega! I was at the beginning of role-playing and I'm the messiah of the ultimate role-playing to come!
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-wizardry.66962/

Lord Andre

Arcane
Welcome back Jaesun. You were missed.

And on topic, looks like Fargo's not going down without a fight. Good.

Now if MCA is announced even for something insignificant like designing 1 (one) single artifact, I will gush like a japanese school girl.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
They could spice up their campaign with stretchgoals like "6 character party" and possible "Mod-Construction-Set"... so we could make our own Wizardry 8 remake blobbers (with a great AAA quality base if blobbers die out in future).

But even with such stretchgoals I somehow doubt we will reach much more than 1.3m $

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom