Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
dailypledges.png

$40k left. It won't be longer than a few days now, although the weekend might delay things.

82aa104378f6343b44f9134aa767a7f6_original.jpg

16a3a5baa624b8dc3a11d06dc809564e_original.jpg

[UNLOCKED] In the Fourth Room we add a physical code wheel to *all* physical tiers, including $65. Digital tiers will receive a digital representation of this code wheel.

In the Eighth Room... the party cannot as yet see so far in the darkness...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the dungeon story so far:

Enclave of the Fairy Host
Outside the Dungeon : Lioslaith leads you into a clearing and points her spear at the burial mound in its center. The barrow’s towering stone arch stands open, revealing a dark corridor. The door that sealed it lies shattered before it.

"These mounds were old when the Fichti were new,“ she says. “My ancestors blocked that door ten generations past. It was broken open two days ago.“

tumblr_inline_npuzyifMLk1rgj7s2_500.jpg

Room 1 Unlocked: A cold wind pierces your armor as you enter the barrow. The first room is empty but for cobwebs and mould, but footprints in the dust lead further in.

"Your enemies have got here before you, perhaps,“ said Lioslaith.

Room 2 Unlocked: The remains of a campfire blacken the floor in the center of this room. Chicken bones have been tossed in a corner, and crude Einarr runes have been scratched on the north wall. Galli, your dwarf head-knocker, translates them.

"Olf, we could wait no more. We’ve gone ahead.“

Room 3 Unlocked: There is nothing in the third chamber but a long smear of blood that ends at closed door. Behind the door you hear guttural muttering.

Lioslaith readies her spear. “Prepare yourselves, friends."

Room 4 Unlocked: As you enter, a pair of trolls look up from dining on a corpse in Einarr armor. Your bard, Fiona, winces at the sight. "Looks like Olf should have stayed with the group.”

The trolls stand, roaring, and toss aside tattooed arms and legs, then take up their clubs and charge you. A treasure chest glints in the darkness behind them.

With axe and sword and fire, you finally defeat the trolls, but cannot find the key to the chest. Then Shanko, your Trow thief, pipes up. “The daft bastards probably ate it!”

It’s not the most pleasant task, but you gut the trolls and find the key in their intestines, still clenched in the fingers of a severed hand.

Shanko snatches it from you and opens the chest. “Loot!”

But as you survey your glittering prize, a faint melody reaches your ears. It sounds like someone singing in the depths of the barrow.

Room 5 Unlocked: It takes an hour and many blows from Galli’s warhammer to break down the door to this room. It was barricaded from behind, perhaps against the trolls? A few Einarr helms and burnt out torches litter the floor.

You find a rolled up parchment near the door to the next room. Drawn upon it is what looks like a star field with lines between the stars. Your mage, Anders the Old, says they are elven constellations.

One of those constellations is carved into the door to the next room.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Brother None Hmmm, you know, you guys could gamify this some more by introducing an intersection in the dungeon where backers get to vote on where the party will go next.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://thebardstalerpg.tumblr.com/post/121421412325/tumblr-achievement-dungeon-room-6-unlocked

Tumblr Achievement & Dungeon Room 6 Unlocked!
We just flew past the 250 Tumblr Followers achievement! You guys are totally awesome. That means that the party has revealed another dungeon room and is on its way to finding more treasure…

Check out our Kickstarter and follow the full dungeon story here!

b3ebe5d0c9625b245e3d8dc92a4a6f52_original.jpg

Room 6 Unlocked: The floor of this room continues the star theme. It is patterned with the remaining constellations. It is also patterned with dead Einarr, all seemingly impaled by hidden traps in the floor.

By trial and error and constant checking with the parchment star map, you evade the traps and make it to the far side.

The singing comes again as you dodge the last line of stakes. Lioslaith hears it this time. She shudders. "Fairy song. Hear it three times and you are never seen again.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

9d12bd77542d60f1224849cf9ce1f57d_original.jpg

Room 7 Unlocked: This room is bare and cold - so cold your breath comes out in freezing clouds. Frost starts to rime Galli’s beard and moustache.

"Why is it so cold?” asks Shanko.

“Ghosts,” said Siolaith. “It chills the bones to pass through their forms.”

“Then there must be scores of them,” says Fiona. “I’m chilled to the bloody marrow!” She cuts off as a strange clattering sound comes from the next room.

Athelas

Arcane
This will prolly be their best game. Less budget = less cluttered with stretch goal crap.
Also less budget to make the game with.

I don't think previous InXile Kickstarters fell victim to the stretch goal disease. One of the T:ToN stretch goals was literally 'more reactivity'.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This will prolly be their best game. Less budget = less cluttered with stretch goal crap.
Also less budget to make the game with.
I don't think previous InXile Kickstarters fell victim to the stretch goal disease. One of the T:ToN stretch goals was literally 'more reactivity'.
Yeah, the only thing cluttery about Wasteland 2 was the backer shrines, and that had nothing to do with total budget.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That KS stretch goal table brought back the memories. Oh, the time when we were so young and guillible. My dear.

Apexeon

Arcane

I agree. POE would of been better if they cut the stronghold with that mega dungeon and focused on what mattered.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
There's a certain charm to modest under the gun budgets. Really lets the ingenuity out of the box.

True. Also this way first person view will probably stay in combat (which I prefer) and paper dolls wouldn't be required (except in similar style to Wizardry 8). This certainly spares a lot of resources.

Besides, my prediction for the kickstarter now only assumes 1.5 Million until the end. I doubt the amount will grow much larger - not even in the last week. The stretchgoals are somehow boring and the momentun is down. New pledges only trickling in by "pressure".

Bonerbill

Augur
I knew this campaign wasn't going to make that much money. To be honest with you, there wasn't a huge demand for this game.

However, I honestly think they'll have enough to do whatever they want even if the kicikstarter makes less than 2 million. Torment is going to make them at least 10 million dollars when that game comes out, and I'm sure they'll make a few extra bucks with Wasteland 2 coming on on consoles.

Zeronet

Learned
I have to admit to cancelling my pledge. The hype wore off and i realized this isn't really a game i'd be into..

I wonder whether stretching it over such a agonizingly long period will work out for them. I still hope it does, im not against the idea.

Btw, i just noticed, my early bird spot is open, free feel to grab it. edit: somebody snapped it up. No harm done right?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Admiral Rimjob POOBUM Is this cultural appropriation? http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/a...v-game-steeped-in-scottish-folklore-1-3801638

Bard’s Tale IV game steeped in Scottish folklore
3040132709.jpg

The Bards Tale IV will use cutting edge photogrammetry technology

IT IS a novel way of bringing one of Scotland’s most historic sites to life for a new generation.

An eagerly anticipated computer game will allow players to explore a fantasy version of Skara Brae, one of the world’s best preserved Neolithic settlements.

118776437.jpg

Picture: Contributed

While the prehistoric village has inspired generations of artists and filmmakers, the new game will seek to bring the Orkney site back to life as a bustling town.

The upcoming title, The Bard’s Tale IV, will use cutting edge photogrammetry technology to recreate Skara Brae’s features, while a degree of artistic license will imagine vast, dangerous catacombs below.

Those behind the venture say they hope to celebrate Orcadian folklore and Scottish culture in the game. Already they have hired the celebrated singer Julie Fowlis to play a part in the production.

The title is the long awaited sequel to one of gaming’s best loved role playing series. Originally released in 1985, the inaugural Bard’s Tale was a critical and commercial success thanks to its 3D style graphics and gripping fantasy narrative. However, since the release of the last sequel in 1988, the franchise has lain dormant.

‘It is very much based on Scottish culture, Orkney folklore’

Now, the video game designer who worked as a writer and director on the original trilogy has secured the rights to continue the series and is working to reboot it for the 21st century. With nearly a month left on its Kickstarter campaign, his company – California-based InXile Entertainment – is close to meeting its funding goal. Over 26,000 people have pledged over £750,000 to date.

Although the Skara Brae that will feature in the game is not an exact replica of the one on Orkney’s Bay of Skaill – its narrow passageways are peppered with various traps and monsters that must be overcome – Brian Fargo, the chief executive of InXile, said the history of the settlement and Scotland as a whole would form an integral part of the game. He and his team have already visited Orkney and other locations to take photographs to convert into 3D objects that appear in-game.

“One of the important aspects of The Bard’s Tale IV is its connection with Scottish heritage. It is very much based on Scottish culture and specifically the Orkney folklore.

“In both its music and visuals, it draws heavily from many elements of Scottish culture. We plan to integrate Scottish architecture in the look of Skara Brae and the game’s dungeons and wilderness.

2014804870.jpg

The 5,000 year old village of Skara Brae on the West Mainland, Orkney. Pcture: Jane Barlow

“I went to Scotland myself. There are all these cemeteries – we scan a tombstone and it looks perfect. It has the level of detail that no human artist could ever achieve. That’s a really organic, beautiful look.”

InXile is using an original song featured in the first game, which told the story of Skara Brae, and have translated it into Gaelic for Fowlis, who Fargo hailed as “one of the top Gaelic singers in the world”.

He added: “We couldn’t be more excited to involve someone of Julie’s immense talent and experience. Her music and background add a truly authentic Gaelic touch that will help us perfect the atmosphere and presentation of The Bard’s Tale IV.”

Fowlis, who enjoyed widespread international exposure after contributing to the soundtrack of Disney’s film, Brave, said she and her husband, Éamon Doorley, who plays the bouzouki and the fiddle, were thrilled to be playing a part in the project.

“Éamon and I are delighted to have contributed music for the iconic game,The Bard’s Tale,” she said. “For us, it has been a fascinating journey exploring and creating music, drawing from the depths of our ancient Scottish Gaelic tradition, and marrying it with the fantasy world of a renowned computer game, now 30 years old.”

Fargo and InXile have already started work on the game – which will be released initially for PC – and hope to complete it by 2017.

Backers of the project who pay £150 will receive the new game, the original trilogy, and a printed songbook and collector’s album of the music performed by Fowlis.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I almost forgot... the characters from the video look very plasticky. Remind me of Doom 3, even the low level of detail ... :/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Ooh, somebody just dropped $5k on the project. Now it'll definitely be funded by the end of tomorrow.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Ooh, somebody just dropped $5k on the project. Now it'll definitely be funded by the end of tomorrow.
There has been a spate of troll pledges on Kickstarter not long ago, or this is Fargo's back up plan in action.
Any fundraiser we don't know about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom