Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tex Murphy Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Backers

$48,053
pledged of $450,000 goal

:what:

Morkar Left

The kickstarter vid is great and 15$ for the game sounds allright. It seems like they are hoping for the masses to spend for the 15$ tier because the rest isn't that great, at least not for me. EDIT: I take that back, there seems to be more than I thought...

I'm considering it to spend 15$. Problem is I never played a Tex Murphy game before and it would make sense to play te others before spending money for this. On the other hand 15$ isn't that much and they show in the vid that they can already deliver the quality for a good sequel...

Under a killing Moon is a remake of the first Tex Murphy and I can start with that to get the full story? Can someone recommend me in which order I should play the games when I want to look into the series?

Kz3r0

Arcane
The kickstarter vid is great and 15$ for the game sounds allright. It seems like they are hoping for the masses to spend for the 15$ tier because the rest isn't that great, at least not for me. EDIT: I take that back, there seems to be more than I thought...

I'm considering it to spend 15$. Problem is I never played a Tex Murphy game before and it would make sense to play te others before spending money for this. On the other hand 15$ isn't that much and they show in the vid that they can already deliver the quality for a good sequel...

Under a killing Moon is a remake of the first Tex Murphy and I can start with that to get the full story? Can someone recommend me in which order I should play the games when I want to look into the series?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tex-murphy-games-opinions.46132/

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pretty cool. Why do they all (I mean the Space Quest guys too) set the funding goal so high, though, higher than DoubleFine did? That sounds a bit... stupid?

I really hope all these adventure game Kickstarter projects succeed, though. They all sound awesome. I'm in for $15, I guess.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Pretty cool. Why do they all (I mean the Space Quest guys too) set the funding goal so high, though, higher than DoubleFine did? That sounds a bit... stupid?

I really hope all these adventure game Kickstarter projects succeed, though. They all sound awesome. I'm in for $15, I guess.

Because DoubleFine's original estimation of 300'000 was ridiculusly low and as multiple times said only would have been a really small game (with only three people working on it).

Kz3r0

Arcane
What would be stupid would be to ask for less money than it takes to make the game.
Questionable, look at Wasteland 2, no voice acting, no cinematics, no expensive license for an engine, unless they don't have some specific need for 450K they could have asked for 400K without compromise all that much, let' see how much they will get in the first days.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Because DoubleFine's original estimation of 300'000 was ridiculusly low and as multiple times said only would have been a really small game (with only three people working on it).

$3,336,371
pledged of $400,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

I on the other hand am suprised trhat they ask for only 450k.Others mights cut costs but not having voice acting and some other stuff but since this is a Tex Murphy game they will need a lot of extra $$$ for the FMVs and the actors.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
3gtUI.png

I'll back this.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

$3,336,371
pledged of $400,000 goal
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

Watch the video, smartass.

Kz3r0

Arcane
By the way, at the moment Tex Murphy already got more that the two guys from Andromeda in the first day, seems that FMV adventures have their own demography.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You're thinking about Overseer.

trustno1code

Prophet
Well damn, that's a lot of cool digital content from the 150$ level. All of the Tex games and novels, and those (probably shiz, but whatever) casuals they did. Good pitch video as well.

I can't say I'm thrilled about this one though:
150$ tier said:
Additional DLC for “Project Fedora” featuring more game play, extra rooms, and 'Easter Egg' insights into Tex’s life and other citizens of Chandler Avenue.
Can we please keep "DLCs" out of adventure games?

Apart from that - all giddy and take my money now! (damn, I'd like that Tex Murphy BoxSet...)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn Chris Jones! Why couldn't he wait a couple more months? Oh well...fuck it, he has my rapier...:salute:
Awesome promo video too. Chris still brushes up great as Tex. I have no fear that it will be crap, just wish I could donate more.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Why exactly it's so stupid?
Would going lower than Schafer make people go "Oh, look, they're so humble, I'm gonna give them money I wouldn't have given them otherwise", or what?

It's just 50k more. Or 150k considering how Schafer only wanted to spend 300k on the game.

Even so:
300k -> small flash game (bonus OMG SCHAFER)
450k -> full game

If people are more willing to pay for a small flash game than for a full game, then they're the stupid ones.

However, I'm worried that Schafer might have been more realistic about what he can do with the money and that the people behind these other projects are hoping to get much more than they ask for so if they don't get it they might not be able to deliver on the promises.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Why exactly it's so stupid?
Would going lower than Schafer make people go "Oh, look, they're so humble, I'm gonna give them money I wouldn't have given them otherwise", or what?
How many copies of his games were sold, and how many copies of the Tex Murphy series?
There 's your answer.
And while we are at it, who sold more, Space Quest series or Leisure Suit Larry series?
Do you think that The Two Guys from Andromeda are right in thinking that they are worth the same money as Al Lowe?
It's just 50k more. Or 150k considering how Schafer only wanted to spend 300k on the game.
LOL, peanuts, don't let the millions blind you.
Even so:
300k -> small flash game (bonus OMG SCHAFER)
450k -> full game

If people are more willing to pay for a small flash game than for a full game, then they're the stupid ones.
Illogical, the problem is not if they want a full game but how many of them there are.
However, I'm worried that Schafer might have been more realistic about what he can do with the money and that the people behind these other projects are hoping to get much more than they ask for so if they don't get it they might not be able to deliver on the promises.
Bingo.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Bullshit. Jones and Connors know exactly what they want and how to spend it. This isn't some flash in the pan by some people jumping on the KS bandwagon. Here's a chat log from 2003 with Connors and Jones about the potential of another Tex Murphy game. Even then they had been thinking about it for 6 years already: http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/chatlogs/chatlog.php?id=10 They know what to ask for and KS isn't even their entire source of income.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Bullshit. Jones and Connors know exactly what they want and how to spend it. This isn't some flash in the pan by some people jumping on the KS bandwagon. Here's a chat log from 2003 with Connors and Jones about the potential of another Tex Murphy game. Even then they had been thinking about it for 6 years already: http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/chatlogs/chatlog.php?id=10 They know what to ask for and KS isn't even their entire source of income.
That's reassuring, anyone knows how much the series sold?

Morkar Left

I on the other hand am suprised trhat they ask for only 450k.Others mights cut costs but not having voice acting and some other stuff but since this is a Tex Murphy game they will need a lot of extra $$$ for the FMVs and the actors.

I don't know but doing some acting before a blue wall isn't all that expensive from a technical point of view. There was a German pc mag who did it every month. Plus a lot of fanfiction movies and the like. It's mostly programming and paying the actors I would say.

Alex

Arcane

LSL Kickstarter said:
How come it's costing you $500,000 to do a re-make of Leisure Suit Larry and it only cost Double Fine $400,000 for a brand new game?
This was another really popular question today. I (Paul) just got off the phone with Greg, the producer over at Double Fine and asked him how it was possible to make a full fledged adventure game for $400k when it's costing us $500k to re-make Leisure Suit Larry. He told me that they initially only planned on making a small iOS game with 3 people on the entire team: 1 artist, 1 programmer, and 1 producer. That, plus they already had a game engine they spent millions of dollars making for a previous game whereas we're using the Unity engine and we're starting with the PC English version, which is a huge, huge difference!! The only thing we can re-use is the original design. Everything else we need to create from scratch: characters, environments, animations, engineering, and even sound effects.

I figure it is simply that they actually need that much money. Whether asking for less would make them look more humble or not, things cost what they cost. If they ask less than what they estimate, they are gambling with other people's money. That would be way more prideful than asking for any absurd value, in my view.

Edit: I really expressed myself badly in my first sentence. I hope it is clearer now what I meant.

Deleted member 7219

At last. Not sure about those reward tiers though, DFA had some really nice goodies and so did Wasteland 2, eventually. Will still donate though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
100k in the first 12 hours....FMV adventures are dead and there's no market for them eh publisher cunts?

That's reassuring, anyone knows how much the series sold?

Read the interview...not much really according to Conners:
UKM did about 350,000 world-wide.....Pandora did about 120,000 world-wide.....TMO doesn't really count. For a full explanation, write to Intel and ask "What the Hell...?!"...
UKM had the advantage of a delayed release and a lot of Hollywood-related publicity. Pandora came out with very little fanfare.

Wiki explains the Intel remark:
Overseer was developed because Intel had wanted to bundle a new Tex game with one of its new hardware products. Due to a very quick turnaround Intel initially required, there was not time to write and produce a new game for the series. As some players might notice, Overseer is not a "new story", but rather a retelling of Mean Streets. Intel reportedly paid for the entire production but decided to cancel the software bundle anyway. Access released the game through normal channels in 1998.

Access released the game on DVD and CD(Intel were going with just DVD and AGP support) and since few people had DVD and even AGP cards at the time, the game ran like shit and looked like crap for the majority. The tech was too far ahead. The flip flopping and the tech limitations really hurt sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom