Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - remaster based on 2010 release

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and just to make last point clearer.

Pure lcd emulation pixel perfect art vs actual CRT from 90s with scanlines and how designers intended for art to look.

unknown.png
unknown.png

I spent way too much time playing Mortal Kombat in the arcade when I was younger, and the bottom right image definitely looks more "accurate" to what the graphics looked like back then.

The one on the left definitely looks better imo. I don't mind remakes that improve the graphics of a game somewhat. I don't think anyone has perfected transferring games designed for CRT monitors to modern monitors.

I think being a gaming purist is fine, but if that's a person's take then they should just buy the original system and CRT monitor, then play the game that way.

Not gonna lie, I've thought about building a retro gaming rig a few times, but playing emulated or enhanced versions of old games has been fun for the most part, so I haven't felt the overwhelming need too just yet.

Sprites seem heavily filtered and smushed to shit in this new version, I hope there's an option to disable it.

S.torch

Arbiter
Aha, but when is Matsuno going to get another project? You know... like a sequel for this game.

And for me the voices of the characters don't match the personality they have. Denam is young, calm if somewhat stoic. But his voice is just passive.
Catiua is way more mature (most of the time) than Denam, yet her voice sounds extremely girly.

Terra

Cipher
Have to concur the english dub does not sound promising and this is the scene they choose to showcase it with to boot; Leonar sounds too young and Lans, one of the most important characters sounds like a bog-standard officer from Dynasty Warriors, his inflection's all wrong and it really doesn't capture his character.

Fucks sake Square Enix, who the hell watched this scene and said, "yep, this is what we're going for." Just sell the IP to someone who gives a fuck.

flyingjohn

Arcane
English VA:
Read lines in their own voice and inject Whedon sarcastic tone.
Japanese VA:
Actually try to act by your voice with a fitting tone.

lightbane

Arcane
^Always have been.

Except for exceptions like Digital Devil Saga, where the Dub was okay or even superior to the weaboo edition in some cases.

Derringer

Prophet
^Always have been.

Except for exceptions like Digital Devil Saga, where the Dub was okay or even superior to the weaboo edition in some cases.
To be frank the voice acting in Digital Devil Saga just isn't very good in either Japanese or English. They don't try in most English Dubs though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of bad ones, too. They have restricted the number of skills you can have, and they removed a class.

Oh well, I might get for cheap in the future.

Sentinel

Arcane

S.torch

Arbiter
Less skills = More time grinding.
Also, level cap for the party while still having to grind.

It's all so tiresome.

jungl

Augur
japanese voice actors suck as usual. older men roles always talk in that comical puffed up chest voice that does not sound natural at all outside a Japanese dinner table where a patriarchal dad talking down to his sons.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Less skills = More time grinding.
Also, level cap for the party while still having to grind.

It's all so tiresome.
How does less skills mean there's more griding? if anything there should be less because you don't have to level up the passives that increase elemental damage anymore.

S.torch

Arbiter
How does less skills mean there's more griding?

The whole point of skills is to make your character stronger or having useful actions. Without them you will need to depend more on raw power because you have less strategic moves.
Then, grinding. Unless they plan to nerf enemies and I don't think so.

I read through the "improvements", and they were almost all UI and grinderino changes. At this point I think corporate boomers just don't care, they put the grinding even knowing that people come because of story and characters.

At least we're getting some Akihiko goodness. <3

image.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I read through the "improvements", and they were almost all UI and grinderino changes. At this point I think corporate boomers just don't care, they put the grinding even knowing that people come because of story and characters.
They also completely revamped the AI and made it much smarter. This is one of the reasons there are less skills now. It was easier to make good AI after dumping skills that it couldn't figure out how to use well.

notpl

Arbiter
Reading that they've implemented a story-gated level cap and inferring that the game has somehow increased grinding is a very impressive, almost codexian feat of logic.

S.torch

Arbiter
You don't appreciate original voice acting, your opinion is irrelevant to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom