Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - remaster based on 2010 release

somerandomdude

Learned

Is it just a rehash of the PSP version with voice overs and shinier particle effects? Unless they add some new content to the game over what the PSP version had, I don't see any point in getting it if you already got and played the PSP version.

I am not sure about content. I heard there will be new music tracks, voice acting, and a rebalance of systems.

I might still get it depending on how it turns out. Ideally, i was hoping they'd add some new classes, or a new arch/path, or some bonus areas, etc.

kyosuke

Educated
Patron
Leonar's voice doesn't fit him. I imagined him sounding deeper.

Anyway, I wonder how many people will commit mass murder trying to get Ravness.

EpsIXI1.jpg

Some did go the Law route just so Vice(Vyce?) doesn't go full retard.

S.torch

Arbiter
Look! Is exactly the same game but now with voice acting and all the gorgeous pixel graphics apparently destroyed by some sort of edge-softening. Are you not happy? I can feel the total love for the fans here!

On another note, if I'm not mistaken, we can see some covert art at the end of the video made by Akihiko. At it seems great like always. Good. I wish we could have that in a well sized poster or wallpaper.

i84rZP3.png

Denam and Catiua look so adorable. <3

No, he gets exactly what he deserves in the chaos route.

S.torch

Arbiter

No, he gets exactly what he deserves in the chaos route.

Never said he didn't.
Just saying the characterization of him in the Chaos route is disappointing compared to the Law route.

It wasn't, his true character is just made more clear in the Chaos route. He is not really driven by a sense of justice for the weak in the Law route, and neither he is entirely compelled to do it because of practical reasons in the other path. What really drives the actions of Vyce is the envy and jealously he feels for Denam, that's why whatever you choose he will pick the opposite direction. The Chaos route is only showing what he is more evidently.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just got a little hype boner when you said that. I have some more games to beat with gusto.

Ent

Savant
Looking at the screen shots this seems to be a hybrid of Snes and PSP versions of the game mechanically.
-They seem to be bringing back the personal unit elements from the SNES (along with ice and lightning which was introduced in the PSP remake). They even have a screenshot in the trailer were it looks like you have to choose Denam's element/patron goddess.
-They are removing TP so Weapon arts and class skills are either going to use MP or some other system
-There seems to be a magic and item load out just like the SNES version so you can't just rock the entire spell list but you seem to have more item slots compared to the SNES version.
-The Union level mechanic which seems to constrain your party's max level in some way.
I'm assuming there's going to be a big change to the games skill system as well.

Arthandas

Prophet
"The unparalleled details of the characters and backgrounds from the original Tactics Ogre (1995) have been recreated in high definition, while the detailed pixel art that gives the game its unique feel has been preserved and enhanced."
Those fucking retards... it's neither recreated, enhanced nor preserved.
:negative:

Perkel

Arcane
"The unparalleled details of the characters and backgrounds from the original Tactics Ogre (1995) have been recreated in high definition, while the detailed pixel art that gives the game its unique feel has been preserved and enhanced."
Those fucking retards... it's neither recreated, enhanced nor preserved.
:negative:

You are reading to much into it. They will just use PSP artwork and use original pixel art with some extra res.
PSP remaster/remake was solid but it changed some things i didn't like and looks like this will be fixing those issues.

Arthandas

Prophet
They will just use PSP artwork and use original pixel art with some extra res.
There's no such thing as "original pixel art with some extra res". You can't just bump up resolution of pixel art, you can only upscale/filter it which makes it look like shit and that's exactly what they're doing.

Perkel

Arcane
They will just use PSP artwork and use original pixel art with some extra res.
There's no such thing as "original pixel art with some extra res". You can't just bump up resolution of pixel art, you can only upscale/filter it which makes it look like shit and that's exactly what they're doing.

You can clearly see you can. Increase resolution, 16:9 + zoom out a bit and original sprite work looks much better.

original:

large.jpg

psp

EY0hxqSWAAQmoca

not shown: scanlines that make out of those pixel messes smooth image.

Perkel

Arcane
and just to make last point clearer.

Pure lcd emulation pixel perfect art vs actual CRT from 90s with scanlines and how designers intended for art to look.

unknown.png
unknown.png

Arthandas

Prophet
You can clearly see you can. Increase resolution, 16:9 + zoom out a bit and original sprite work looks much better.
No you can't. The pixel art (sprites) are the same exact "resolution" in both versions. The only thing you can enhance is the resolution of the 3D battleground.

vota DC

Augur
i played with Ogre Battle march of the black queen. Is much different from Tactics Ogre? The system was very strange: defending against enemies would make you evil....if you want to stay good you were supposed to have evil high level warriors to fight and weak liberators to take cities.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The price tag is obviously too much
At the time of release, I got the PSP's Premium Edition for no more than either 30 or 40 euros

Now I more interested in the mechanical changes, specially this AI revamp

I don't see the point of rerecording the OST yet again

The VA sounds a bit dull, but in the worst case they can always be turned off

Finally I think the visuals look good

On a final note I think Square are doing this solely to keep the IP
LUCT is supposedly meant to be the 7th chapter of this franchise, yet it only has 5 games for over 20 years now

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I guess I will just play this on PSP then for now. That looks beautiful.

Perkel

Arcane
I guess I will just play this on PSP then for now. That looks beautiful.
You should wait imho. PSP version is amazing but it has one of the most annoying changes ever that imho detract from experience.
in PSP version you level up classes not individual soldiers. This might sound like a plus and at the time i thought it was but when i started playing i quickly realized that most of characters became lesser, obsolete and not like in original providing unique addition to battlefield. Game characters lost a lot of charm when you realize that your new party memeber with unique class can be just replicated 20 times when you get access to his class card. Suddenly someone who never once used bow becomes master archer, someone who was magician suddenly becomes barbarian and so on. Obviously there is gear to switch in such cases but the gist of problem you can see.

Characters loose their individuality and become just soldier in a machine. Which is antithesis to whole game.

Also there will be changes that will increase speed of ui actions which will be huge positive changes. Game had definitely issue with bilions confirmations you had to do at any point for every single unity. I mean game literally asks you before every action YES or NO and by default choice is on no.

Characters don't immediately die upon reaching 0 HP; they're down for 3 turns and if they aren't revived by that time (or if the battle hasn't ended yet), then they die. Also, you can time travel back up to 50 turns, so you're rarely ever in any real danger of actually losing someone. The only time I came close to losing a character was during the second phase of the last battle of the game, where the boss deals ton of damage and one shots characters, and because there were so few units on the battlefield the turns started elapsing quickly, so it was possible that my guys lying on the floor might have expired before I finished off the final boss. Unless the remake changes these two mechanics, then changing leveling up classes into leveling up individual characters isn't going to make any difference.

... Except for when your units desert, because earlier in the game you may have recruited some guys from a Bakram town and then the last chapter of the game is pretty much about slaying hundreds of Bakram soldiers as you conquer their territory. A unit who might have been with you for most of the game and a core member of your team might leave, and now you need to find a replacement. Thanks to class levelling in the PSP version, this isn't too bad. You just need to do a few battles to get the necessary skill points. Irritating but not that bad. If class levelling is removed as you suggested, then this would becomes an extraordinarily tedious grind.

EDIT:

Huh, it was only 80 Bakram? Hm. Felt like it was a lot more. Anyway, might point stands. One of my archers deserted as I was marching in early chapter 4 and I had to waste a lot of time trying to farm skill points for his replacement.

deuxhero

Arcane
A reminder that half the good new content in the PSP release was actually separate DLC in Nippon, it was just added to the western release of the PSP version by default to satisfy Sony of America's demands for an arbitrary amount of new content in PS1 to PSP ports.

S.torch

Arbiter
You can clearly see you can.
No, it can't.

Pixel-Art can only be upscaled, it can't change resolution because that would practically destroy it. The size of the sprites in both the PSP and the SNES version are exactly the same, the only difference in those images you posted is the filter and the particlerinos of the PSP version. And scanlines have nothing to do with resolution, but with the display of old screens.

The original visuals were beautiful already (images found on the deep web).

For what we saw on the trailer, it seems like on top of the PSP filter they're now going to add another effect that soften the backgrounds, taking out even more of their charm. And probably even more grinding, that's almost always a given. Because we all know that this game is universally remembered because of the grinding. But since for the first time is going to be on PC, who knows if maybe someone has the energy to make a couple of mods for the game that let you avoid any of this.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202208/17272199.html
Interview with Matsuno & Co. Main takeaways:
New Famitsu interview with Matsuno and other staff members reveal more info on the game
*Yasumi Matsuno confirmed to be heavily involved in development
*No new characters or scenarios
*New levelling system makes it so units that are comparatively lower level compared to your other units level up faster
*New consumable items such as one that grants more experience
*Confirmation that the goal was to make Reborn closer to the original than the PSP version
*310,000 characters of voiced dialogue
*JP voice cast picked by Matsuno
*New music for specific cutscenes composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto
*Newly designed from scratch more complex AI on the enemy units
*"Double Speed Mode" allows you to speed up the flow of battle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom