Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - remaster based on 2010 release

Perkel

Arcane
https://tactics-ogre.square-enix-games.com

Looks like remake/remaster is coming:

unknown.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Palomides

Augur
That's nice art. It would be nice if they kept the original title, too.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks like remake/remaster is coming:

unknown.png
I hope they do a good work fixing the broken progression. Great news nonetheless.

WIll only buy because the commitment of making beautiful art, among hords of western woke devs committed to ugliness and evil.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I will buy it so I don't have to use a shitty emulator anymore. On sale of course.
Not sure how it is decline to wait for a 70 percent or more sale a year or two from now but whatever.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
That's funny - I'm currently playing the Snes original and having a blast. I've tried the PSP remake before that and gave up after initial missions due to severe butthurt (22 new systems added, all of them shit, interface vastly inferior to the original, etc.).

Another funny thing is, I've played the PS1 remake back in 2004 (I still have my savegames), but now I'm liking the game even more that back then.

tl;dr

If they keep the shit added in the PSP remake, I'm not interested.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I replayed this and FFT recently on PSP emulator. My nostalgia told me that Tactics Ogre had the superior story, but after playing them back to back, FFT's story and characters are much more realized, while the gameplay is mostly the same.

Excited about the prospect of a remaster or remake for modern systems, hopefully its released on PC.

Dhaze

Cipher
Potential good news, that remake or remaster.

And considering the remaster of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song is coming out this year, perhaps one day Square will—finally, at long last—recall Vagrant Story being a thing.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They will a barebone remaster and then make a news Tactic Ogre gacha games that died in 2 years because SE milking the shit out of it that whales stop playing.

Then the series will return to be dead.

SE has been doing this with their franchise the past 5 years or so.

They will a barebone remaster and then make a news Tactic Ogre gacha games

I highly doubt SE would do that, as they would be competing with themselves. They already have a SRPG gacha game with War of the Visions. It even has a very similar aesthetic as Tactics Ogre (character designs by Akihiko Yoshida's company, CyDesgination, after all). Only major difference is that WotV leans towards having prettyboy and waifu designs, whereas TO wasn't afraid to give you people who didn't look like youthful supermodels.

jungl

Augur
They gave front mission a face lift why not tactics ogre? Be cool seeing all the stages in 3D the bird men and lizard people. The godawful crafting fixed and dumb class progression system and I can see a game getting 7k positive reviews on steam but we probably are going to get a cheap port instead that nobody even pirates. When is the last time a jap rpg studio really hit that home run in a remake/remaster? Its rare.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
SE ports tend to be super shit. Like Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy remasters/ports should have been free money, but they've managed to fuck all of them up. It's bananas.

They also tend not to port things that should also rake in tons of cash like FFT.

Repressed Homosexual
They should just give it up, the PSP remake just made the game too easy, cluttered and worse.

I don't see the point of remaking the exact same game another time. They should make a sequel.

They probably do because Tactics Ogre is very popular in Japan and has quasi legendary status.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's a shame that triangle strategy hasn't been announced for PC, by all accounts it's a pretty decent game for any fans of FFT and Tactics Ogre.

Amurada

Educated
It's a shame that triangle strategy hasn't been announced for PC, by all accounts it's a pretty decent game for any fans of FFT and Tactics Ogre.
I enjoyed the Triangle Strategy demo, but I would hardly say that it is in the same vein as Final Fantasy Tactics; not that striving to emulate FFT is what any tactics game ought to. FFT feels like a misnomer to me, as it is more akin to a CRPG such as Divinity, than it is to a proper tactics game, and what I ended up getting out of FFT was the discoverability that came with class experimentation -- it helps that I was a kid when I initially played the game. I'd still say that this aspect is unrivaled by most western crpgs cut from the same cloth, but most of these games lack tactics outside of just sending units out to commit to Operation Human Shield. Triangle Strategy seems to take after Octopath, and has almost a complete lack of unit customization, in place of having more defined tactical roles per unit. That, meshed with the translation of Octopath's hybrid of Bravely Default's Brave-Default & SMT's Press-Turn systems makes for some interesting considerations.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, spaming screnshots ITT, 'cuz only steers and queers post in the "Screenshot" thread recently. :(

Playin' Tactics Ogre - LUCT (Snes) with the infamous Aeon Genesis' translation patch from 2010.

Good:

- Still looks glorious after all these years. IMO it looks more "sharp" than the PS1 remake.

a) Snes:

oUlyjSO.png

iJL8dCp.png

HhMPon4.png

b) PS1 (screens taken using my old saves from 201x):

YCYEqYG.png

wMByBsd.png

iTvQR43.png

- No constant loading (even when accessing menus), which PS1 version is (in)famous for:

5D9cmoB.png

:negative:

Bad:

- Font is kinda meh (not that the PS1 one is much better), "slides between chapters" don't work properly:

5rqD9iU.png

There are some glitches in the "units" menu. But no crashes or anything (at least when going ALL CHAOS, BABY!):

YKfnX3t.png

Anyway, I'm 30 hrs in:

OMZr0vW.png

but fun has just started:

a) Kurt dies!

I3k4R3k.png

:cry:

When suddenly!

iyfYUnx.png

ZbLAbou.png

lJnWvNQ.png

:dance:

b) We meet some quite atypical Shop Owner, who sells us a ton of weird shit:

1rkAU1a.png

When suddenly!

Ugf6Kky.png

FYfCpRk.png

:yeah:

npQlaqY.png

:love:

c) Next stop:

72bx87n.png

Just look at the time!

Kidding, I'm gonna reach like floor #25 this time and GTFO. This shit is insanely long.

Verdict: first and still best japtactical evar, shits all over FFT and the PSP remake.

:obviously:

And people complaining about "constant need of equilizing levels of your fags" probably don't even lift:

9y5XXHC.jpg

I mean, with my cheats, it takes like one minute to bring all your fags to desired level (somebody's max).

:smug:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I enjoyed the Triangle Strategy demo, but I would hardly say that it is in the same vein as Final Fantasy Tactics; not that striving to emulate FFT is what any tactics game ought to. FFT feels like a misnomer to me, as it is more akin to a CRPG such as Divinity, than it is to a proper tactics game, and what I ended up getting out of FFT was the discoverability that came with class experimentation -- it helps that I was a kid when I initially played the game. I'd still say that this aspect is unrivaled by most western crpgs cut from the same cloth, but most of these games lack tactics outside of just sending units out to commit to Operation Human Shield. Triangle Strategy seems to take after Octopath, and has almost a complete lack of unit customization, in place of having more defined tactical roles per unit. That, meshed with the translation of Octopath's hybrid of Bravely Default's Brave-Default & SMT's Press-Turn systems makes for some interesting considerations.

I seriously considered buying a switch for it, as I can't get it to play on an emulator, but thought that they might eventually release it on PC like octopath. The political intrigue story really interests me, wish more games would do that.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, doublepost!

How to remove teh suck from Tactics Ogre - LUCT (Snes)?

Well, by using my cheat table. :obviously:

Things to do:

1) Get Retroarch, download bsnes-mercury Balanced core (Accuracy & Performance should work to).

Vke6gOR.jpg

2) Get my cheat table from here.
3) Run the game, load the cheat table:

PyOb9cZ.jpg

4) Cheat.

Cheats & their applications.

a) You want to "equalize" units' levels after a fight (example: all fags are Lv18, and one fag went to Lv19).

Solution: use Cheat#0: EXP = 99 for Units #1-#10
  • Go into Training
  • Choose up to 10 fags (so not the one with higher level)
  • Start the training. Fags should have their normal EXP:

Ue9dntL.png

• Enable Cheat#0. All 10 fags should now have EXP=99:

2M34enE.png

• Disable Cheat#0, unless you want to grind more than one level.
  • Let the stoning commence...

b) During the "multiple-stage" mission one unit went 1-2 levels above the rest (MVP can be a bitch here). So you can't go into training, and another mission will have enemies with levels higher than your team.

Solution: use Cheat#1 - Cheat 10
  • Remember the order in which you selected your units.
  • Enable cheats responsible for EXP of desired unit.
  • In 1-2 actions these units will be at the desired level.

c) Denam keeps getting raped in some mission (esp. the one against certain cynical knight).

Solution: use Cheat#11: Denam's HP
  • Keep this one enabled, and Denam's HP will be 254 all the time.

d) You missed some cool weapon or don't want to waste your time obtaining it (Rifle).

Solution: use Cheat#12: 1st weapon on the list
  • Buy some cheap-ass weapon. Make sure it's 1st on the list:

015g1MT.png

• Enable the cheat.

ewbgyb8.png

• Disable the cheat (or you fuck up your weapons after sorting the inventory).
Experiment with the value. Examples:

Code:
01 Mini Dagger
96 RimFire
97 Shotgun
98 Rifle

e) You don't want to waste your time constantly buying and churning down the Magi potions (fucking Undead, mang).

Solution: use Cheat#13: MP - UL Corner & Cheat#14: MP - UR Corner
  • Deploy all 10 units. Put the desired 2 mages into UL & UR corner:

VtltKj3.png

• Enable both cheats and start the fight. Voila (don't worry, it won't go down):

cBzbyTW.png

f) You want to skip some boring battle / random encounter.

Solution: use Cheat#15: Instant Win
  • Start the battle. You can deploy only Denam to make things quick. Trust me.
  • Enable the cheat.
  • Go into the "commands" menu or do anything else.
  • PROFIT!
WAIRJ2B.png

With this, you can skip all random encounters on the world map.

:incline:

Warning: you wan't get any EXP or items. So maybe don't use it for "story" missions...

g) Your fag has certain Alignment or Element, but you would like to change it to sth else.

Solution: use proper code from this site.
  • Create a new cheat at the bottom
  • Make sure that the handler = emulator
  • Enter desired code into the "Code" section. Enable the cheat.
Examples:
  • You want to change Denam's alignment? Use code 7EB2F2##, where ## is either 00 (N), 01 (L) or 02 (C).
  • You want to change Denam's element? Use code 7EB2F3##, where ## is either 00 (none), 01 (wind), 02 (fire), 03 (earth) or 04 (water).
Just to be sure it sticks, make a normal console save, disable the cheat, then restart the game and load the save.

zYeZyTW.png

vhWQgLx.png

And people claim that playing games on the original hardware > playing them on emulators...

:smug:

jungl

Augur
cheating in snes tactics ogre... level a character in archer 3-4 times. Done he now useful. This is like cheating in super mario. You do not need 99 lives to win the game or rushing for the power armor in fallout 2. You do not need cheats in baby difficulty games they ruin the experience.

spekkio

Arcane
Thanks for your extremely valuable input, BRO.

Posts about how other fags should / shouldn't play their games and how much cooler is fag B due to playing the game in different way than fag A, are the best.

:love:

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Man, i played translated snes like 20 years ago, and the bloated psp remake like... 10 years ago?
If you want more just play the gba prequel, is smaller in scope but still very solid.

Man, now i want a new ogre battle using a modern action rpg engine.

S.torch

Arbiter
One thing this game let me asking myself if is that they planned to have a romance between Denam and Catiua (with Olivya like an optional route) either in this game or in a sequel. Because the ending lets me wanting for way more of what was showed up.

By the way, amazing game and amazing story. I feel like a child again playing it. The story deserved more expansion and time, and the long grinding session less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom