Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim in-game footage

Mortmal

Arcane
So if you dont like this what will you play instead ? The new mass effect 3, the star wars mmorpg ? Its either skyrim or watching tv, theres no alternatives.Oh theres a few projects in codex worshops , in 5 years they will be good.
It will probably be voted as second rpg of the year after witcher 2.

Mortmal

Arcane
oh i found an alternative game to play , enjoy codexers, its on steam:
512BK8WI5xL.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Released already? Fuckin' yay!

Japanese rpg+ Lollis+ witch story = combo .I knew it , i knew a certain codexer would be interested into it :)
Is it any good ? In some moment of weakness i confess to enjoy zelda type games sometimes.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mortmal said:
Crooked Bee said:
Released already? Fuckin' yay!

Japanese rpg+ Lollis+ witch story = combo .I knew it , i knew a certain codexer would be interested into it :)
Is it any good ? In some moment of weakness i confess to enjoy zelda type games sometimes.

Bought it, d/loaded, played through the first few areas. It starts out a bit boring, but gets more fun and challenging as you progress. The gameplay is pretty basic, but it has a neat magic system where you combine diamonds of different colours and in different numbers to get various attack/defense effects. The level design is nothing to write home about (even though there are some hidden chests and stuff), but the combat is well-paced and responsive. Overall, so far I'd say it's definitely worth the $9 price if you like this kind of games.

Oh, and it plays just fine with keyboard. And the controls are remappable, which is good.

DraQ

Arcane
Bahamut said:
Holy fucking shit

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... s-in-rpgs/

To me the only interesting issue right now with RPGs is the question of stats. From what we have seen, TES seems to be slowly going towards the elimination of stats. To me that would be GREAT news, bringing their games closer to my dream RPG.

Here are my thoughts on this and I would really like to know what others think about the issue.

Many people are against the idea of “dumbing the games down” accusing TES of becoming commercial etc. For example, the introduction of a “quest marker” clearly fits in this category and does indeed lower the depth and complexity of the games. However, the removal of stats in the game does NOT, and in fact, it could potentially eliminate the duality: complex game vs dumed-down game.

The key is that there needs to be a “surface level” to the world that is completely accessible and simple. But this surface does not constitute the entirety of the world. Whoever chooses to look deeper can do so. On the surface level there are signs and hints that point to a deeper reality (such as books, NPC, items etc etc.) Just like in the real world; one can live a basic life, going to work every day etc all the while clueless about the depth of science, philosophy, politics, religion, fringe movements etc etc. Anyone who just wants to live on the surface can do so… it should be the same in a good RPG.

In a game without stats, it’s possible to have the best of both worlds. On the SURFACE, a simple game and world; looking deeper, a world full of complexity. Someone who wants to just pick up a sword and go kill “bad guys” could do just that, without worrying about all other aspects of the world (including the ambiguity of what “bad guy” means). Another type of player, could decide to explore many aspects of the game, finding rich lore and many skills, guilds etc.

:retarded:

1) Stats are not exclusive domain of RPGs, most games have stats.

2) Stats are there to confer limitation - even such stat as HPs does so, in this case it limits the ability to soak damage.

3) One of the hallmark features of RPGs is that stats differ between characters and are used to define them and their differences.

4) A character that is tabula rasa (no stats defined on chargen) must be a viable jack of all trades right from the start since the alternative is "dead meat, still walking" - it defeats the fucking point of a fucking RPG.

5) Removal of stats from menus while keeping them in game leaves us with a misdesigned clusterfuck of an interface that doesn't convey vital information to the player.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just remove all player stats (yes all including mana and HP) and make him immortal. It's better for roleplaying, a lot better. If the player wants to roleplay a badass, he can, even if he sucks at playing the game - because RPGs are not about player skill, so sucky player skill should not stand in the way of the role playing! But if he wants to play a character who sucks at combat, he can press the "DEL" key on his keyboard to kill off his character, which would simulate him being killed in combat. Similarly, he can either roleplay a high mage who never runs out of mana, or just stop casting after 5 spells and pretend he ran out of mana if he wants to roleplay a novice.

Can't you see how incredibly this would increase roleplaying? Heck, he can even be a badass all the time but in one situation spontaneously decide to be killed in combat - roleplaying that he had a bad day! The possibilities are endless!!

Gord

Arcane
In principle, the idea isn't bad.
It's very likely for the execution to suck, though.

In order for it to work, you need a reasonably complex system. Make it in a way that every casual console player can indeed just pick up a sword and go out to slay some monsters. If he never ever opens up that stats page in his character sheet because he doesn't feel any need to do so, why not?
Just offer me the possibility to play it like a proper RPG if I choose to do so.

My point is, I'm fine with that as long as I have an reasonable complex set of rules in the background that's available to me and that can be used to customize my char, offers different builds/classes and so on.

The problem I see is that
a) the system will not be a complex one (can't risk to alienate those casual players or shooter fans that bought the game because of your cool trailer) and
b) even if it was, playing it as an rpg would make not much sense, because what's the reason to do so if you can just play it like a fps with swords? Playing it as an rpg should give you some kind of reward, but that would mean the casual gamers lose out on something which is a no-go (can't risk to alienate those casual players or shooter fans that bought the game because of your cool trailer).

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Just remove all player stats (yes all including mana and HP) and make him immortal. It's better for roleplaying, a lot better. If the player wants to roleplay a badass, he can, even if he sucks at playing the game - because RPGs are not about player skill, so sucky player skill should not stand in the way of the role playing! But if he wants to play a character who sucks at combat, he can press the "DEL" key on his keyboard to kill off his character, which would simulate him being killed in combat. Similarly, he can either roleplay a high mage who never runs out of mana, or just stop casting after 5 spells and pretend he ran out of mana if he wants to roleplay a novice.

Can't you see how incredibly this would increase roleplaying? Heck, he can even be a badass all the time but in one situation spontaneously decide to be killed in combat - roleplaying that he had a bad day! The possibilities are endless!!
My brain is now a huge vortex of fuck.
I hope it made you proud, at least.
:rage:
Gord said:
In principle, the idea isn't bad.
It's very likely for the execution to suck, though.

In order for it to work, you need a reasonably complex system. Make it in a way that every casual console player can indeed just pick up a sword and go out to slay some monsters. If he never ever opens up that stats page in his character sheet because he doesn't feel any need to do so, why not?
That would be very simple to do - just add option of generating your character through action, during (preferably optional) prologue. After that, stats you used are your main ones, and the others drop to baseline level. May be justified via storyfaggotry if necessary. The point is that the stats are there to enforce limitations, PC shouldn't be viable JoAT from the start.

Hell, one of the very few good ideas in oblivious was making it guess your class based on your early gameplay (it was botched by being obligatory and by limited selection of viable approaches, but credit where credit is due).

Complexity and accessibility aren't always at odds.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
LittleJoe said:
Can you take on a dragon at level one?
If so it's fucked up.

Or maybe dragonz will spawn only after specified level. Also fucked up.
And who cares? Like this is the only problem. This whole "game" is fucked up.
For people who think it will be quite good hiking simulator - yeah, enjoy walking on extremely small world full of retarded NPCs. Oh, and good luck fighting infinite (!) dragons (Personally I will torrent it - just for lulz purpose :smug: ).

Btw becoming Champion of Cyrodill, Archmage, Master of Fighters guild (all at once ofc), etc. on level 1 rulez. :thumbsup:
Mocking Oblivion never gets boring.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
4) A character that is tabula rasa (no stats defined on chargen) must be a viable jack of all trades right from the start since the alternative is "dead meat, still walking" - it defeats the fucking point of a fucking RPG.

derp

By this logic if you are not born with a certain level of competence in a skill, you can never ever successfully become competent at it. The game can give you opportunities to improve yourself in an area you don't know jack shit about. IE: the player starts off sucking at everything. He decides he wants to become a great warrior, so he starts off by joining the local militia. They provide him with training in exchange for aid with certain tasks. Or he wants to become a thief and finds a local crime boss who employs him for mundane jobs and offers specialized training in other areas (burglary, intimidation, etc.) once he knows he can trust and count on you.

Anyway, I remember one interview where beth said your race will affect your starting stats so not everyone will start off with the same stats. I would prefer a decent class system but this is hardly the end of the world.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Gord said:
The problem I see is that
a) the system will not be a complex one (can't risk to alienate those casual players or shooter fans that bought the game because of your cool trailer) and
b) even if it was, playing it as an rpg would make not much sense, because what's the reason to do so if you can just play it like a fps with swords? Playing it as an rpg should give you some kind of reward, but that would mean the casual gamers lose out on something which is a no-go (can't risk to alienate those casual players or shooter fans that bought the game because of your cool trailer).

The system will probably be the most complex one since daggerfall. It's not like it took a mensa chapter president to decipher Oblivion and Morrowind character generation and development.

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
This concise summary of your post would've been completely adequate, you know.

By this logic if you are not born with a certain level of competence in a skill, you can never ever successfully become competent at it.
Except when you're born, you don't have to smack the life of those pesky mudcrabs with your puny toddler arms - there is a lengthy period of time between being born and becoming an adventureer, this period is generally filled with getting taught shit and learning stuff - most of it not by charging people with butter knife, which tends to just get you killed. Old-school RPGs tended to have decency to streamline (the irony!) this lengthy period of nothing of interest via clever use of one to several chargen screens.

The game can give you opportunities to improve yourself in an area you don't know jack shit about. IE: the player starts off sucking at everything. He decides he wants to become a great warrior, so he starts off by joining the local militia.
Except newer TES games have become increasingly epic, so we can safely bet that just joining <guild_name> and doing boring chores till we learn that pointy end goes into the enemy won't be present in TES V: Rimjob

Anyway, I remember one interview where beth said your race will affect your starting stats so not everyone will start off with the same stats. I would prefer a decent class system but this is hardly the end of the world.
Finally! Some incline! ...oh, wait, no. It's just bog-standard and least-expectation in pretty much every RPG made prior to next-gen era.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
At least Skyrim looks pretty and the animations are a fucking improvement over Oblivions cluster fuck.

Nael

Arcane
Looks rad. Will preorder and gift to all naysayers just to spite them.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
This concise summary of your post would've been completely adequate, you know.

Ohh, "I know you are but what am I!" Deadly counter-attack from the DraQ Polish School of Riposte. You gonna call me a poopie head next? :lol:

Except when you're born, you don't have to smack the life of those pesky mudcrabs with your puny toddler arms - there is a lengthy period of time between being born and becoming an adventureer, this period is generally filled with getting taught shit and learning stuff - most of it not by charging people with butter knife, which tends to just get you killed. Old-school RPGs tended to have decency to streamline (the irony!) this lengthy period of nothing of interest via clever use of one to several chargen screens.

This is true but not really relevant to your claim that you HAVE TO be a jack of all trades to survive. The point of bringing up starting off with no skills is to show that all skills are eventually learned. Furthermore, TES usually covers a wide range of character ages, and up to this point it has not bothered to make it affect gameplay. Making an old man in Daggerfall provides no extra knowledge or benefits compared to making a young girl. If the skills you learned up to that point are the skills the average member of that race learns up to that point, it's serviceable enough.

Except newer TES games have become increasingly epic, so we can safely bet that just joining <guild_name> and doing boring chores till we learn that pointy end goes into the enemy won't be present in TES V: Rimjob

What? Every TES game has had an "epic" plot with major players and far reaching consequences involved. On this one matter the series has stayed consistent from Arena to Shivering Isles.

Finally! Some incline! ...oh, wait, no. It's just bog-standard and least-expectation in pretty much every RPG made prior to next-gen era.

Depending on how they do it it could be real incline. Dungeons and Dragons ushered in the "elves are pointy eared humans with +1 to dexterity and a bunch of shitty abilities" school of race design and very few RPGs have been free of its curse. With the rape of the spell system there might actually be something in the way of unique abilities for some of them.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nael said:
Looks rad. Will preorder and gift to all naysayers just to spite them.
Really? Well shit, Skyrim is obviously going to be fucking terrible. No redeeming qualities whatsoever, and I know that even though I'll never play it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I will never pollute my computer with this fucking filth.

Am I the only codexer who has flat out refused to ever play Oblivion?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jaesun said:
I will never pollute my computer with this fucking filth.

Am I the only codexer who has flat out refused to ever play Oblivion?
Nope, me too.
But I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll dl Skrym when "fixing" mods pop up.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No amount of mods on the entire earth can fix a shitty game engine.

See New Vegas. Just FYI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom