Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim in-game footage

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think there was a 1st person finishing move there as well. Though in it the finishing blow killed the target without actually hitting them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Renegen said:
3rd person finishing blows = I'm out, so long Skyrim.
I can handle shitty character system, generic quests, bland enviroments, infinite dragons and retarded AI but don't fucking break my immershun.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's probably copy-pasta from the "fatalities" in FO3? Couldn't you turn those off? Would be weird to copy a feature and leave that out.

Duskification

Novice
That's one badass guard. Take fire from a dragon in the face and still be able to stand, but dies from getting grabbed.

Guy gets a cut across his throat and doesn't give a shit until he gets stabbed.

The dragon grabbing the giant was luls-worthy though.. :D

Looks shitty.

Leonard DeVir

Educated
I never thought Id say that one day, but I miss Morrowind more than ever. Gimme my skills back.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
DraQ said:
DragoFireheart said:
The question is, am I a moron if I buy this
Yes.

for the Xbox360
Doubly so.

and after playing it for a couple hours
:what:

I enjoy it for what it is?
Game over, man, game over.

Bethesda's hiking simulators are a guilty pleasure of mine. I know I shouldn't like them but I end up enjoying them to some extent regardless. So, call me a moron, it's too late for me.

Edit: I'll probably wait and see what flaws the game has. If it has level-scaled quest rewards again I probably won't buy it.

MCA
They certainly learned a great deal from Fallout 3. Now they can do slow-mo finishing moves. A truly innovative next-gen adrenalin packed visceral experience.

A user named cat

Icewater said:
Guy gets slashed across the throat and just gets knocked back a little? lol
I think I cracked up the most at that part, looked so stupid. His throat was slit and he only slightly stumbled, then raised his shield again. When will action games like this ever implement some kind of area or limb-based damage effects? It's sad that a console game over 10 years old was able to do it, which was Bushido Blade.

bussinrounds

Augur
Phantasmal said:
Icewater said:
I think I cracked up the most at that part, looked so stupid. His throat was slit and he only slightly stumbled, then raised his shield again. When will action games like this ever implement some kind of area or limb-based damage effects? It's sad that a console game over 10 years old was able to do it, which was Bushido Blade.

Blade of Darkness and Demons Souls also have much better combat than this crap. At least if they're gonna make a damn action game, would it be too much to ask for them to make some engaging combat and not this boring ass shit ?

anus_pounder

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
DraQ said:
DragoFireheart said:
The question is, am I a moron if I buy this
Yes.

for the Xbox360
Doubly so.

and after playing it for a couple hours
:what:

I enjoy it for what it is?
Game over, man, game over.

Bethesda's hiking simulators are a guilty pleasure of mine. I know I shouldn't like them but I end up enjoying them to some extent regardless. So, call me a moron, it's too late for me.

Edit: I'll probably wait and see what flaws the game has. If it has level-scaled quest rewards again I probably won't buy it.

Guilty pleasure is fine, but why pay for it? I'm pretty sure 360 games can be pirated.

DraQ

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
Icewater said:
I think I cracked up the most at that part, looked so stupid. His throat was slit and he only slightly stumbled, then raised his shield again. When will action games like this ever implement some kind of area or limb-based damage effects?
In nineties, possibly eighties.

Fuck, Barbarian on c64 had better combat.

A user named cat

How sad that we can already pinpoint what needs to be modded before the game even comes out.

I'm sure within 1-2 weeks of its release, we'll be seeing a mod for fixing the gravity. There was a nice one for Oblivion that also made rag doll effects much more natural. Hopefully there will be a Darnified UI mod too, then at least the game will be a tolerable time-waster.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Phantasmal said:
How sad that we can already pinpoint what needs to be modded before the game even comes out.

I'm sure within 1-2 weeks of its release, we'll be seeing a mod for fixing the gravity. There was a nice one for Oblivion that also made rag doll effects much more natural. Hopefully there will be a Darnified UI mod too, then at least the game will be a tolerable time-waster.

My thoughts are the gravity doesn't bother me nearly as much as the combat freeze cam finishing moves do. It would be nice to think that these could be turned off, but I think you were stuck with them in DA1, and they seem like a vanity part programmers would force you to watch.

The second thing I didn't see was the horse turn 90° to the left and venture off the path. That would be the deal killer for me. We are assuming you can go anywhere you want, but I just want confirmation that the game will be full world access, no NWN2 rolling hills with fixed paths.

I'll probably buy it as the problems I see can be modded away, except that last part. It still looks better than DA2, but time will tell. There are still 3+ months to go, and I don't pre-order anything. Unless I get TF2 hats, then all bets are off (*walks away, rocking Geralt scout wig...*)

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I dont plan on playing the game, but I do hope that the slow motion EPIC KILL part gets kept in the game, image getting swarmed by 5 viscious monsters, you cant backpedal out of the combat as per usual, these fuckers hit hard (yeah I know, Beth game, they only tickle at worst) and you manage to kill one of them trying to force a hole to dart through so you wont die (Alternatively check inventory for remarkable world pause as you chug 500 potions) but slowmotion EPIC KILL kicks in, and you get to watch in slow motion as your dragonbored gets pummeled and gangbanged and the opening for your daring escape is closed before you can regain control of your derpborn, you die, you rage, you cry, you post on Bethforums, they make the game easier for you with a patch, cant remove the EPIC KILL.

Id love to read the butthurt over that, or mod a game with hundreds of swarming, low hp mobs to force an EPIC KILL chain so that the player cant do shit but get buried in a sea of corpses.

Too much though gone into shitty game, now I feel bad. :(

Bahamut

Arcane
Holy fucking shit

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... s-in-rpgs/

To me the only interesting issue right now with RPGs is the question of stats. From what we have seen, TES seems to be slowly going towards the elimination of stats. To me that would be GREAT news, bringing their games closer to my dream RPG.

Here are my thoughts on this and I would really like to know what others think about the issue.

Many people are against the idea of “dumbing the games down” accusing TES of becoming commercial etc. For example, the introduction of a “quest marker” clearly fits in this category and does indeed lower the depth and complexity of the games. However, the removal of stats in the game does NOT, and in fact, it could potentially eliminate the duality: complex game vs dumed-down game.

The key is that there needs to be a “surface level” to the world that is completely accessible and simple. But this surface does not constitute the entirety of the world. Whoever chooses to look deeper can do so. On the surface level there are signs and hints that point to a deeper reality (such as books, NPC, items etc etc.) Just like in the real world; one can live a basic life, going to work every day etc all the while clueless about the depth of science, philosophy, politics, religion, fringe movements etc etc. Anyone who just wants to live on the surface can do so… it should be the same in a good RPG.

In a game without stats, it’s possible to have the best of both worlds. On the SURFACE, a simple game and world; looking deeper, a world full of complexity. Someone who wants to just pick up a sword and go kill “bad guys” could do just that, without worrying about all other aspects of the world (including the ambiguity of what “bad guy” means). Another type of player, could decide to explore many aspects of the game, finding rich lore and many skills, guilds etc.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In a game without stats, it’s possible to have the best of both worlds. On the SURFACE, a simple game and world; looking deeper, a world full of complexity. Someone who wants to just pick up a sword and go kill “bad guys” could do just that, without worrying about all other aspects of the world (including the ambiguity of what “bad guy” means). Another type of player, could decide to explore many aspects of the game, finding rich lore and many skills, guilds etc.

So, without stats you can play any character you want, you can decide what you want to do, you can decide how deep you want to delve into the gameworld, have lots of control about how your character turns out...

... and where does he say why you cannot do this in a game with stats, because in a game with stats you can do this even better because you can define multiple character types by taking different stats.

WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah, I mean what an idiot. First he says that the elimination of stats is his "dream RPG" and then goes on mostly to say that no stats would make the game more accessible, like he's some armchair game designer or something. Fuck it, his job as a gamer isn't to ask for something more accessible, it's to ask for fun. It's the publisher's job to bring "accessibility".

His arguments really don't make any sense, and it shows how many people are willing to believe anything they are told. It's this very slow brainwashing that gaming websites tell people that going the way of casual games is in their best interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom