Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Seeing how butthurt swen is....i am beggining to think that this sad cock sucker is actually swen the great larian pedolord.
codex.png

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I feel like age is really catching up with me and my eyes are no longer what they used to be.

Because how else to explain the recurring accusation (at least i seen it multiple times on the steam forums and now the watch thread) that rpg codex should be ashamed or something because JA3 is not an rpg?

Like it says right there in the title, GOTY, not RPGOTY.
The nominations list included titles like age of wonders 4 and my time at sandrock, whilst plenty of people feel robocop got cheated, so never felt like there was confusion about this until the results dropped and now we have to test for rpg purity.

Beans00

Augur
Why do you always beg/demand from people to gift you games? I find it pathetic and arogant at the same time. Aren't you at least a bit ashamed of yourself?

1. because I like getting free games
2. you're entitled to that opinion, I'm a big believer in free thought and free speech
3. not at all because it works sometimes and I get free games, I'm assuming most people/codexers with iq higher then a potato(no pun intended) understand Its a schtick to piss the lower iq members of the codex off

This is also a forum where a significant percentage of the userbase(less since rpghq opened) are literal 40-50 year old freaks/virgins/incels/actual schizophrenics. So no, when ugly ass retards like jamesdixon(who takes it in the ass) or people from third world countries, or fat dweebs like jenkem who never leave their house and kill cats, call me out for begging for games I literally do not give the slightest fuck.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Is that why you slide into the DMs of one of those "third worlders" to,continue begging to avoid the shame of doing it in public forum after you lost a draw? That's a shtick eh Beansy?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel like age is really catching up with me and my eyes are no longer what they used to be.

Because how else to explain the recurring accusation (at least i seen it multiple times on the steam forums and now the watch thread) that rpg codex should be ashamed or something because JA3 is not an rpg?

Like it says right there in the title, GOTY, not RPGOTY.
The nominations list included titles like age of wonders 4 and my time at sandrock, whilst plenty of people feel robocop got cheated, so never felt like there was confusion about this until the results dropped and now we have to test for rpg purity.
Actually, the poll is meant to be for RPGs only, but I'm okay with felipe including games with "RPG elements" in it.

From Jagged Alliance 3's first dev diary: https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-1-game-vision-r3/

A significant part of our gameplay takes place in non-combat situations and focuses on exploration, choice and conversations. Even though Jagged Alliance 3 is not a full-fledged RPG, our goal was to create a persistent world that responds to your actions and is changed by your decisions, much more than in the typical tactical game.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Actually, the poll is meant to be for RPGs only, but I'm okay with felipe including games with "RPG elements" in it.

From Jagged Alliance 3's first dev diary: https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-1-game-vision-r3/

A significant part of our gameplay takes place in non-combat situations and focuses on exploration, choice and conversations. Even though Jagged Alliance 3 is not a full-fledged RPG, our goal was to create a persistent world that responds to your actions and is changed by your decisions, much more than in the typical tactical game.
Well i stand corrected and now add my voice to the indignation: Age of Wonders 4 made the cut but Robocop didn't?

:mob:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jagged Alliance 3 is an RPG. You want character creation and stats-driven character development with real build variety? It has it. You want NPC interaction through dialogue, quests with multiple outcomes, and stats-driven choice and consequence that influences those outcomes? It has it, and it constitutes a significant part of the experience - much, much more so than in JA2. I refer you to this post:
The more I play this, the more I realize that not only is it a solid strategy/tactics game, it's secretly the full fledged RPG I never knew I wanted. Character advancement is much less stingy than earlier titles, with enough level-ups and new perks to keep your squad evolving even if you never hire more than a team of 6. But you CAN hire more, and in essence have multiple "parties" operating at once, calling back to the team splitting mechanic in Wasteland, which I always expected more from. Turns out this here is the realization of that ideal. When I look at the map, my primary concern isn't conquering territory (although that's important too); I'm mainly checking the Notes tab for unfinished plotlines. It's a quest log. There's so much more to pursue here than "paint the map and kill the enemies", and building up not just your roster but each individual merc scratches the RPG itch so satisfyingly. My mind is kinda blown.
This is what it can be like to play JA3. Anyone who claims it doesn't belong in this poll is being obtuse.

Beans00

Augur
Is that why you slide into the DMs of one of those "third worlders" to,continue begging to avoid the shame of doing it in public forum after you lost a draw? That's a shtick eh Beansy?

I do it because it's funny. I still want free games though idiot, where did I say I didn't want free games?
I dm you all the time because you don't give me free games because you're mad I'm racist towards serbs and other balkan peoples.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Well i stand corrected and now add my voice to the indignation: Age of Wonders 4 made the cut but Robocop didn't?

Was Robocop suggested for the polling? Also is it good?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The flip side of that: I'm also okay with felipe not including certain games with RPG elements. It's a gray area.

jaekl

Educated
Patron

The shooting part of robocop is good, but the rest of the game is extremely painful and involves sloooooooowly trudging around the same few city blocks doing banal, low quality sidequests.

Harthwain

Magister

The flip side of that: I'm also okay with felipe not including certain games with RPG elements. It's a gray area.
It would make more sense (and be more consistent) to limit the selection to games featured in the RPG section (regardless of whether we agree with games being in this particular category or not). With that said, it's interesting to see what people were willing to vote on with criteria for an RPG being much looser. (I wouldn't exactly count Remnant 2 as an RPG, for example, despite me liking the game A LOT.)

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

The shooting part of robocop is good, but the rest of the game is extremely painful and involves sloooooooowly trudging around the same few city blocks doing banal, low quality sidequests.
This is why robocop is so skub. On the flipside you will get people citing these same reasons as to why robocop is good: you walk around slowly as robocop should and do a lot of casual police work dealing with mundane situations, the actual shooty bits is like 20% of the game at best.

Example of banal side quest: a bunch of punks playing loud music right outside a shop owner telling them to turn it down because they are scaring customers to which the punks laugh. You have several ways to deal with this like you do every quest, but if you're a robocop fan the lore accurate response is obvious: smash the boombox as the punks look on horrified, thank them for their cooperation and to warn them to stay out of trouble.
Another sidequest with less reactivity is just you going around the precint to get people to sign a get well card.

All of this is 100% banal and unexciting. But it fits robocop and is what he is about, the people who made this game "get" Robocop in that regard.
But if you were to judge it based on its own merits without the wish fulfilment fantasy of larping as robocop? Then yeah you'll probably be like "wtf is this shit?" and then i imagine the game becomes painfully average and boring because it can be a while between the shooting segments.

jaekl

Educated
Patron

This is why robocop is so skub. On the flipside you will get people citing these same reasons as to why robocop is good: you walk around slowly as robocop should and do a lot of casual police work dealing with mundane situations, the actual shooty bits is like 20% of the game at best.

Example of banal side quest: a bunch of punks playing loud music right outside a shop owner telling them to turn it down because they are scaring customers to which the punks laugh. You have several ways to deal with this like you do every quest, but if you're a robocop fan the lore accurate response is obvious: smash the boombox as the punks look on horrified, thank them for their cooperation and to warn them to stay out of trouble.
Another sidequest with less reactivity is just you going around the precint to get people to sign a get well card.

All of this is 100% banal and unexciting. But it fits robocop and is what he is about, the people who made this game "get" Robocop in that regard.
But if you were to judge it based on its own merits without the wish fulfilment fantasy of larping as robocop? Then yeah you'll probably be like "wtf is this shit?" and then i imagine the game becomes painfully average and boring because it can be a while between the shooting segments.
Oh man, don't remind me about that stupid card signing quest, that one made me so mad. Of course I did these horrible quests because I wanted exp to level up my armour so it could ricochet bullets back at people. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.

Harthwain

Magister
This is the question whether the game should only be about constant action or about being truthful to the source material (or more than just action in general). Frankly, I think they managed to strike a good balance here. It reminds you that at the end of the day you're a Robocop, not Rambo and that's fine - not every game will be for everyone. Most people seem to get it as the game has good reviews on Steam (Very Positive, with 91% out of ~6800 being positive ones).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom