Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Ryzer

Arcane
Larian should never forgot:

View attachment 47195

:martini:

2013 Codex is different from the 2024 one, which has gone full retardation. I backed Larian too back then, and they delivered what was expected and more. They even gave two CD keys instead of one. They dont owe me, nor us, anything; they fulfilled the contract. It's sad they no longer want to post here, but that's fully understandable. Back then, Larian was risking bankruptcy, and they almost did because of some tax issues. Now they finally have worldwide success. To attract investors, you need to show good numbers, ROI, organic growth, etc which Larian shows and scores points with the dominant ideology, which they obviously do, as everyone knows. They still deliver excellent RPGs, the best ever in my opinion. Why would they sully their company name to speak with demented retards? Someday, Swen will retire, sell the company, and cash in like a billion or more, and it will be well-deserved. No one here is worth the risk.
Criticism is what gave us good things, if anything, Planescape Torment exists because Chris had enough with generic mundane fantasy crap and wanted to make something new. Praising them to heaven will only confort them in making the same crap over and over again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Larian should never forgot:

View attachment 47195

:martini:

2013 Codex is different from the 2024 one, which has gone full retardation. I backed Larian too back then, and they delivered what was expected and more. They even gave two CD keys instead of one. They dont owe me, nor us, anything; they fulfilled the contract. It's sad they no longer want to post here, but that's fully understandable. Back then, Larian was risking bankruptcy, and they almost did because of some tax issues. Now they finally have worldwide success. To attract investors, you need to show good numbers, ROI, organic growth, etc which Larian shows and scores points with the dominant ideology, which they obviously do, as everyone knows. They still deliver excellent RPGs, the best ever in my opinion. Why would they sully their company name to speak with demented retards? Someday, Swen will retire, sell the company, and cash in like a billion or more, and it will be well-deserved. No one here is worth the risk.
Criticism is what gave us good things, if anything, Planescape Torment exists because Chris had enough with generic mundane fantasy crap and wanted to make something new. Praising them to heaven will only confort them in making the same crap over and over again.
That has already happened. After crap that was DoS now they are on 3rd version of same crap

Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
After having reviewed 37 plus pages of “discussion” regarding how the ‘23 awards shook out, I am convinced of the following: thank god for dex’s brand of internet autism and if anything, those of you who voted 1/5 for the Tranny Goon Simulator 3 were too merciful. BG3, Minthara aside, is troon bait and should have been had a much lower ranking. Since w/ you all being a bunch of autists, tranny chasing and otherwise, we must grade the results on a curve here. FagWatch and FagHQ both declared the troons sections of BG3 their 2023 game of the year.
:imperialscum:
Codex, do better in 2024. If Florida can erase trannies from the state, sure we can do better than second place for the likes of BG3.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
After having reviewed 37 plus pages of “discussion” regarding how the ‘23 awards shook out, I am convinced of the following: thank god for dex’s brand of internet autism and if anything, those of you who voted 1/5 for the Tranny Goon Simulator 3 were too merciful. BG3, Minthara aside, is troon bait and should have been had a much lower ranking. Since w/ you all being a bunch of autists, tranny chasing and otherwise, we must grade the results on a curve here. FagWatch and FagHQ both declared the troons sections of BG3 their 2023 game of the year.
Codex, do better in 2024. If Florida can erase trannies from the state, sure we can do better than second place for the likes of BG3.
know your place newfag

roguefrog

Liturgist
Nice how this mirrors my own top 3 games of the year.

I definitely had the most fun with Jagged Alliance 3. BG3 was good but had too many elements that pissed me off (Because it's Larian). Colony Ship was decent enough I played through it twice. Granted it's only competition for third was Space Wreck, which I finished like 4 times. Although that game just takes an afternoon but was janky as fuck. Navigating the narrow corridors is complete ass. It's almost worth it to always steal the scav ship and go that route instead.

Last edited:
But Jagged Alliance 3 isn't an RPG.
As much as an RPG as any other title on the list, arguably.
And easily above stuff like Diablo.

You have a stats-based abilities affecting the effectiveness of every character, you have quests, areas to explore, exp-based progression, looting and equipment, a cast of companions and NPCS with a set personality who will react to your actions, branching narrative and decisions to make, etc. etc.
Even the turn-based tactical combat is nothing if not a good fit for the genre.

And the same was true for JA2 incidentally, despise people still being butthurt about how to label it 25 years later.

Harthwain

Magister

You have a stats-based abilities affecting the effectiveness of every character, you have quests, areas to explore, exp-based progression, looting and equipment, a cast of companions and NPCS with a set personality who will react to your actions, branching narrative and decisions to make, etc. etc.
You're pretty much describing Diablo (sans companions, although it HAS a multiplayer...).

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
But Jagged Alliance 3 isn't an RPG.

Even the turn-based tactical combat is nothing if not a good fit for the genre.

And the same was true for JA2 incidentally, despise people still being butthurt about how to label it 25 years later.
Jagged Alliance is just RPG with a 1970s setting. I dunno why people pretend it isn't. *Tons* of fantasy games with less actual RPG mechanics that people call RPG cause wizards and dragons.

those of you who voted 1/5 for the Tranny Goon Simulator 3 were too merciful.
What else were we supposed to do moron? There wasn't a negative option or we obviously would have chose it.
You know I am right. RPG Codex is a light in the darkness, seemingly surrounded unstoppable pozzed out-of-its-mind degeneracy. Instead of complaining about how your hands were tied by the polling options, spend your time contemplating ways to bring attention to RPGs embody the best of this venerable institution stands for.

Let these results in this thread in this place act as a beacon for the remnant for the RPG enthuistatic autists on the internet who have not sucummed political correctness, tranny goon chasing, DEI, etc…. Let this place be about removing degenerate politics from the discourse.

:whiteknight:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Guys, Jagged Alliance 2 put you in the role of a laptop guy with an internet connection. It wasn't a period piece.

Modron

Arcane
If the Bard's Tale series count as rpgs then so does Jagged Alliance. You can dismiss your entire party and create new ones in Bard's Tale, you're as playing the party's manager.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They still deliver excellent RPGs, the best ever in my opinion

Yup

Fuck Fallout, Arcanum, Morrowind, ToEE, Dark Sun, Wizardry, Grimoire, Underrail

The best ever RPGs are Baldurs Gate 3 and DOS, where you can get fucked by a 7-feet Dragoness matron, and get quests from a talking lobster

They still deliver excellent RPGs, the best ever in my opinion

Yup

Fuck Fallout, Arcanum, Morrowind, ToEE, Dark Sun, Wizardry, Grimoire, Underrail

The best ever RPGs are Baldurs Gate 3 and DOS, where you can get fucked by a 7-feet Dragoness matron, and get quests from a talking lobster
See, I know you are just taking the piss here, but there are tranny chasers that lurking on this forum, who likely will get their pozz fix by deliberately ignoring your sarcasm. Not sure there's much to add beyond Arcanum is the bee's knees. ぞっとするなら、カクテルという用語の由来を調べてください。

NotSweeper

Educated
know your place newfag
Go get your dementia checked grandpa, we're taking over.
ELEX sucks btw.
There exist people, and I use the term people loosely, who unironically believe this.
I won't name names.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom