Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Game of the Year 2015 - VOTING HAS BEGUN [AUTISM ALERT]

hell bovine

Arcane
Maybe he secretly wants PoE to win.

Fairfax

Arcane
felipepepe You could make the poll require people to log on a google account, then ask everyone to send you their email. If any vote looks shady, you can check with the user. This would prevent multiple votes per user and lurkers from voting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Should have just used a forum, where only people that have been here a year or more can only vote. The vote would be a post in a thread, and that way, we can publicly mock you FOREVER based on your vote. Just like the good old codex days. :M

Gregz

Arcane
I meant the total lack of awareness. In the real world people are usually voting for 5-15 games, not manually clicking on +100 answers...

Whoever wrote the script even made it jump 1-2 answers to "make it look real". "Yo, I only voted for 98 games, I'm not fake!"

Well, now the script folks know how to tailor their results to 'fit in', same problem. This poll has no rigor or scientific validity whatsoever until some effort is made to ensure 1 person 1 vote.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
felipepepe You could make the poll require people to log on a google account, then ask everyone to send you their email. If any vote looks shady, you can check with the user. This would prevent multiple votes per user and lurkers from voting.

We could tie each vote to a Paypal donation.

Fairfax

Arcane
Should have just used a forum, where only people that have been here a year or more can only vote. The vote would be a post in a thread, and that way, we can publicly mock you FOREVER based on your vote. Just like the good old codex days. :M
:baka:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I played Undertale. Fun for a little while, but for some reason a game consisting entirely of QTE did not grab me for long...
I cannot understand the hype one bit.

Danmaku (even very casualised) is not a QTE, what the hell is wrong with you.

It's also not danmaku. I swear I'm going to snap and murder the mailman Awor-style if I read this idiocy enough times.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I played Undertale. Fun for a little while, but for some reason a game consisting entirely of QTE did not grab me for long...

It's also not danmaku. I swear I'm going to snap and murder the mailman Awor-style if I read this idiocy enough times.

It's literally dodging many bullets. Sure, there should be shooting element and some positioning, not to mention some actually complex patterns. That's why I called it casualized. Would calling the combat Popamole Inspired by Danmaku Minigame or PIMP for short be any better?
EDIT:
Or maybe DICK? Danmaku Inspired Combat Kusoge

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I respect people who can concentrate on difficult problems. I think whoever calls them autistic is a moran, and is himself contemptible.

Ashenai

Learned

I just finished the game, and I thought it was amazing. But that's because I love well-done, literate artsy stuff. And if you asked me what was great about Undertale, I'd say, in order: the characters, the meta shit it does with saves etc, the music, and the fun twitch/puzzle combat.

Notice that not one of those has anything to do with Undertale's quality as an RPG.

So yeah, it's easily my favorite game of 2015, but I wouldn't put it on any "top RPG" lists, because I don't think it's much of an RPG, and the best parts of it are literally everything that makes it not really an RPG. I wouldn't blame someone for feeling betrayed if they were looking for an RPG and were recommended Undertale.

I think it's a fantastic game that people should play. I wouldn't recommend it as an RPG.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

It's literally dodging many bullets. Sure, there should be shooting element and some positioning, not to mention some actually complex patterns. That's why I called it casualized. Would calling the combat Popamole Inspired by Danmaku Minigame or PIMP for short be any better?
EDIT:

It's not danmaku because it doesn't follow danmaku design conventions in regards to hitboxes (they're big) or pattern design (mostly small amounts of bullets with weird shapes and trajectories). There are some bullet patterns in the game that would be at home in a simple bullet hell, but most of them are something more fitting Gradius or a Taito game. Subjectively, Undertale doesn't feel like a bullet hell game either, and I say this as someone who spent the past year playing a ton of bullet hells.

EDIT:

It's not danmaku because it doesn't follow danmaku design conventions in regards to hitboxes (they're big) or pattern design (mostly small amounts of bullets with weird shapes and trajectories). There are some bullet patterns in the game that would be at home in a simple bullet hell, but most of them are something more fitting Gradius or a Taito game. Subjectively, Undertale doesn't feel like a bullet hell game either, and I say this as someone who spent the past year playing a ton of bullet hells.

Fair enough. As for feeling I think Assgore was pretty Danmaku like.

Wait, the ones that clicked everything picked different ratings each time. Are you sure that's even the same person? Because there's no common agenda there, like spamming the same rank on x game a few hundred times.
The agenda is to disrupt the poll to prove that it's an inferior method.
:1/5: In that regard

Dead State: Reanimated: :3/5:. It got same problems as original, none of most glaring problems (midgame slog, plot holes with cure, characters running out of content near the midgame if you pay attention to them, etc) was resolved. Still, I liked the atmosphere, some of the characters, and, most importantly, environmental storytelling. Mods definitely won't fix it, sadly, but while being disappointed by wasted potential I don't regret my backing of original game.

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut: :2/5: Didn't like new VO, run into bugs, story is as retarded as in original installment, never finished it either. But can't give 1/5 because of TB combat.

Conquest of Elysium 4: :4/5: Why is that in RPG poll I'll never know, but it's a very good TBS with stats, sharing some (not many) elements with earlier HoMM (and some elements from MoM). I never got into Domninions, sadly, but this game is more user friendly, offers unique playstyle depending of what race you would chose, and if you can get past simple graphics - quite fun. Can't give it 5/5 though, it has its problems (confusing for beginners, fonts and tiles are way ugly even for an indy game, not atmospheric enough).

Legends of Eisenwald: :3/5: Sadly, I couldn't like it. When I first tried it it crashed on my laptop constantly, which soured my experience with it. It would have been fine if it had a great writing, or a great atmosphere, or unit variation, or maybe a system where all units are unique so you would care about losing them more. It could have benefited from revamping the combat - that restrictive movement rule wasn't interesting or fun, and just made the battles more repetitive. Oh well. Still, not a bad game, I never regretted backing it, kudos Aterdux.

Age of Decadence: :5/5: Still need to finish it, I went with Jack of all Trades approach to build and got stuck permanently. Very good writing and atmosphere, solid combat (though I would have preferred more tactical options and called shots). I like CYOA games, so such approach to skills never bothered me. I love both post-apoc and Ancient Rome, so I liked the setting this much. :love: All in all, the game got all my favorite things.

Fallout 4: :2/5: Not a RPG per se, nor a proper Fallout, but for Bethesda hiking simulator it's better than Fallout 3. They even tried to write a story and make unique companions. Bethesda, unsurprisingly, failed at that, but at least some of companions were tolerable (Dogmeat and Valentine). Shooting element is, well, playable (with mouse fixes at least). It plays like a retarded cartoony brother of STALKER, which is a distinct improvement over Fallout 3 which played like retarded shit in all aspects.

Pillars of Eternity: :2/5: I can't really give it a 1/5, if only because I played Fallout 4, and gave it a 2/5. Still, I'm very tempted. Hell hath no fury like a woman fan scorned, and I was a fan of IE games, mostly PST, but I also liked BG series. Never liked IWD. So when I was promised a "spiritual successor", I expected memorable companions with banter and interjections, also with inter-party banter and conflicts. I expected a variety of enemies, I expected cool tactical battles without :whatisfun: "improvements" such as broken engagement system, lmited rest, clusterfuck-y (and boring) combat. After imagining Athkatla 2.0 instead I got stale and small main hub filled with often nonsensical quests (bordello prices for people!), and terrible cutscene stupidity at the end of Act II. I'm not even talking about idiocy of all those reneaming of monsters, fampyres et al. Gah. Stronghold was really a facebook-like mini-"game". Companions were underdeveloped, I disliked the main story, I disliked overly verbose but stale and encyclopedic (in a derogatory sense) writing style, in fact, the only thing I liked were CYOA parts, and not all of them. Oh, and MCA companions. Still, while I immensly dislike it, it's still a RPG, just a bad and bland one.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong: :5/5: Unpopular opinion here, but I loved the game. I loved companions, I loved HK ambiance, I loved quests with multiple solutions and reactivity (Ghoul principal Gaichu in Vampire Queen quest, decker's assembly and remote socializing in Is0bel's quest and quite a few others). Only thing I wanted it to be longer, and the combat was way too easy. Still, I really loved the game, and can't understand the general dislike.

Sunless Sea: :3/5: (writing 4/5, gameplay 1/5). Liked the writing, but it still played like all the worst parts of Fallen London mechanics combined with tedious arcade combat.

Underrail: :5/5:
Great turn-based combat, very good atmosphere, decent graphics, serviceable writing, engaging crafting, great non-linear areas, skills acually have value and impact on gameplay, stealth is very nicely implemented. Only weak link is the music, it was annoying. Still, a great game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, I think I can safely identify the fake votes:

4d3VNLQ.jpg

So yeah, autism.

Looks like they want to downvote H, AD, AN and BA - while upvoting BQ.

What games are those?

If I had to guess I'd say that the first are Witcher, Underrail, Age of Decadence and some other game (Hong Kong) and BQ is Undetale.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Did anyone else go into the poll with the intention of giving Fallout 4 a 5 and everything else a 1, just for shits and giggles? And then get there and discover that you just can't give it that high a ranking, even as a joke?

I did actually end up voting normally, if anyone's wondering.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Looks like they want to downvote H, AD, AN and BA - while upvoting BQ.

What games are those?
Divinity:OS, W2, Invisible Inc, Age of Fear 2 and Fallout 4, of course.

This poll has no rigor or scientific validity whatsoever until some effort is made to ensure 1 person 1 vote.
We here at the Codex value choice, so there's like 5 different polls you can align yourself with depending on the qualities and opportunities you wish to see in a GOTY poll.

If nothing pleases you, you can always open your very own poll... just remember to inform Ludo Lense so he can add you to the poll of GOTY polls.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Assuming they're listed in the same order as in the poll, AN should be Hard West and BA AoD. That would make AP Eisenwald, which is a bit weird. Lots of Russian lurkers, maybe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom