Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

musouking

Novice
Patron
Uh, Heluo probably won't translate HTLS or Path of Wuxia until they win the case from their evil disguesting former publisher Soft-World. If they lose, these two games will be judged to Soft-World as collateral which only worth half of the compensation.
And whether they win or not, there is no more Tale of Wuxia sequel made by Heluo.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Heluo is translating Traveller of Wuxia (that semi sequel to HTLS card game) to English
Too bad it's the shitty card game they're translating, so I can't even support it in good faith. The pain never stops with Heluo.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Heluo is translating Traveller of Wuxia (that semi sequel to HTLS card game) to English
Too bad it's the shitty card game they're translating, so I can't even support it in good faith. The pain never stops with Heluo.

The game dialogue is pretty short overall so that's probably why they are translating it. And still require like 7 months to get out. Probably will post my impression later. Translation is ToW tier, understandable but with awkward phrasing sometimes. Very likely edited MTL as they have the knife/blade issue that's common with MTL in regards to weapon. Descriptive text of card is actually good tho, it's mostly the dialogue that's kinda awkward.

Jinn

Arcane
Jesus, so they didn't even hire a professional for their low-load translation job? They will never learn.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Uh, Heluo probably won't translate HTLS or Path of Wuxia until they win the case from their evil disguesting former publisher Soft-World. If they lose, these two games will be judged to Soft-World as collateral which only worth half of the compensation.
And whether they win or not, there is no more Tale of Wuxia sequel made by Heluo.

Not sure about Path of Wuxia. IIRC they established a Hong Kong company especially to do PoW to make sure it is under different bodies and thus not under Taiwan's Heluo asset. Not really sure how the law works in this case tho but I would assume they especially choose Hong Kong because unlikely Taiwan's court of law can forcefully apply it to Hong Kong legal entity.

But if the PC is still in Taiwan, it might as well get raided if they lose the appeal.

Hopefuly Gu Long game will be translated.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Jesus, so they didn't even hire a professional for their low-load translation job? They will never learn.

To be fair, Chinese - English TL for Wuxia fiction especially is probably rather expensive. That being said with a lot of group translating webnovel and webtoon from CN to EN I would assume it shouldn't all that hard to get a group going. They seems to especially lack a community maanager in English too.

A lot of big Chinese Indie games, including Wuxia related, that has initial strong sales in CN thus signalling good appeal usually starts to have English CM, Discord, etc to start engaging with English audience. Heluo seems very behind, evene Traveller of Wuxia TL kinda comes out of nowhere after they hype of the game died down

Jinn

Arcane
I understand the difficulties involved in such a complex translation process. The point I'm making is that if they and other Chinese game companies don't start investing in real professional translations, they're never going to see solid results in western sales. Half-assing it constantly isn't going to win you a player base. But whatever. I'm starting to grow tired of it myself over all these years to the point that I'm starting to lose interest in Chinese gaming altogether. It's just a shame, is all.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Not sure about Path of Wuxia. IIRC they established a Hong Kong company especially to do PoW to make sure it is under different bodies and thus not under Taiwan's Heluo asset. Not really sure how the law works in this case tho but I would assume they especially choose Hong Kong because unlikely Taiwan's court of law can forcefully apply it to Hong Kong legal entity.

But if the PC is still in Taiwan, it might as well get raided if they lose the appeal.

Phoneix Games is a mainland China company with Hong Kong branch which has nothing to do with Heluo or Soft-World.
The question is the 1m USD compensation will destroy Heluo.

Huh, maybe I misread but didn't Heluo also has issue with Soft World? So it's 2 separate drama?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I understand the difficulties involved in such a complex translation process. The point I'm making is that if they and other Chinese game companies don't start investing in real professional translations, they're never going to see solid results in western sales. Half-assing it constantly isn't going to win you a player base. But whatever. I'm starting to grow tired of it myself over all these years to the point that I'm starting to lose interest in Chinese gaming altogether. It's just a shame, is all.

Some games like Sand Salazaar, Amazing Cultivation, Tale of Immortal has decent translation, but most of them are open world mechanic focused sim with not much dialogue. I guess the Indie/AA just doesn't have the budget. The games with relatively long narrative that actually get strong translation are AAA titles like Gujian or Xuan Yuan.

It is indeed unfortunate that the AA level, especially Heluo who make strong narrative in their games, seems to be behind in reaching EN audience.

musouking

Novice
Patron

Phoneix Games is a mainland China company with Hong Kong branch which has nothing to do with Heluo or Soft-World.

Huh, maybe I misread but didn't Heluo also has issue with Soft World? So it's 2 separate drama?
No, it is the case between Heluo and Soft-World. Nothing with Phoneix Games. Sorry for making it confusing.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

No, it is the case between Heluo and Soft-World. Nothing with Phoneix Games. Sorry for making it confusing.

I guess you misunderstood me as well

Heluo does make a branch in Hong Kong, someone posted the company listing in Discord

Pretty much just a shell company from my understanding. some "Path of Wuxia is totally made by different company in Hong Kong" legal bullshit from what I understand. But I am no lawyer so eh

Jinn

Arcane
Some games like Sand Salazaar, Amazing Cultivation, Tale of Immortal has decent translation, but most of them are open world mechanic focused sim with not much dialogue.
Yeah, we've had a few decent ones that were a big step above the machine translation garbage, but still lacking in basic polish. I can enjoy these ones, but the barrier remains for those who buy something and expect a polished finished product. Banner of the Maid was probably the best attempt I've seen, actually. They did a pretty good job.

musouking

Novice
Patron
Banner of the Maid was probably the best attempt I've seen
You can contact with the devs of Banner of the Maid easily in any way.
Heluo only post offically in Weibo or Facebook with no comments or reactions to fans.
Heluo seems very behind

you will only be able to rate posts once you have been a member for 12 months or more
:negative:

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

To be fair, Chinese - English TL for Wuxia fiction especially is probably rather expensive. That being said with a lot of group translating webnovel and webtoon from CN to EN I would assume it shouldn't all that hard to get a group going. They seems to especially lack a community maanager in English too.

A lot of big Chinese Indie games, including Wuxia related, that has initial strong sales in CN thus signalling good appeal usually starts to have English CM, Discord, etc to start engaging with English audience. Heluo seems very behind, evene Traveller of Wuxia TL kinda comes out of nowhere after they hype of the game died down
It's funny, because the "professional" translation work in the Wuxia genre is all absolutely terrible. The Legend of the Condor Heroes translation took four fucking years, and it doesn't even come close to the work of some of the better and more prolific webnovel/wuxia translators like Jeremy Bai, AKA Deathblade.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Xuan-Yuan Sword: Mists Beyond the Mountains now has Steam Workshop support, and apparently one of the original DOMO devs uploaded a mod for 4K backgrounds? O.o

Would be amazing if someone modded the difficulty back to the original release. I have all the files from the original, would try to do it if I knew anything about programming.

EDIT: Lol, the update also came with tools to unpack the files, there's a .txt file with all translations and .lua files with all the combat numbers, very easy to edit. Will play with this during the weekend :3

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sad. It does not show up when you search on Steam. Gives an error when you try to link its store page, but you can search for it in a search engine. "Notice: Vigil: The Longest Night is no longer available on the Steam store."

1691689187171.png

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Damn, I'm glad I got a copy of it already, because that's a real Winnie the Pooh moment right there. Taiwanese developers just can't catch a break. Number 3 is particularly fucked if true.

Endemic

Arcane
Sounds like it's Neon Doctrine's fault to me. Without knowing the exact nature of the "Formosa" portrayed in the DLC, there's no way for us to judge if it violated the regulations for games in China. Even so, it would just be blocked from sale there at most. ND were already aware of the product's themes in advance and didn't say anything about it ahead of time, then proceeded to take action that had nothing to do with the DLC like withholding revenue.

Joseph King

Literate
Beyond Price of Qin, are there any other Chinese, Taiwanese, or South Korean games in the vein of Baldur's Gate?
It sounds like looking for Fallout clones there is a lost cause.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've been looking for something like Fallout too, but I'm starting to think the Ministry of Culture would never accept a portrayal of society like that. It's Wuxia/cultivation all the way down I'm afraid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom