Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not thanks to you.
I do my best!

I think I have bought five copies of three of their games.

If I was a billionare, I'd hire a translation group for them!

notpl

Arbiter
Heluo has enough following for the game to be picked by online group or just particularly free fan

It's on technical issue, it' hard. This game seems more ToW/PoW than HTLS so I am worried that Heluo won't release workshop for it

I kind of doubt that a fan translation group will pick it up in any reasonable amount of time. We're still waiting for Tale of Wuxia to get a decent editing pass/DLC translation. Not to mention the prequel. The ai translation of Ho Tu Lo Shu is atrocious. And the only reason we got something as decent as the Path Of Wuxia fan translation was because of COVID. If we see anything for this new game, it'll probably be half a decade or more away. These fucking Chinese just need to realize their games are wanted in the west. They just need to hire actually competent translators instead of half-assing it all the time. Heluo in particular is terrible about it, to the point where they ignored the west completely for a massive success like Path of Wuxia.
There's a translation available for the ToW dlc with the dr. poison romance and the new martial arts and so forth, just so you know. Team patched it together just a few weeks ago. And the prequel is perfectly playable start to finish in the official release, no idea what you mean.

I read somewhere that Tale of Wuxia sold around 30-40,000 copies outside of the chinese-speaking region, which is dozens of times more than they could have spent on the localization - which was obviously a lowest-bidder type situation. They know we want to play their games, they seem to just not care.

Jinn

Arcane
And the prequel is perfectly playable start to finish in the official release, no idea what you mean.

It's playable, yes. But it's garbled and half nonsensical. It's a fucking garbage translation and not something that should have been sold as a finished product. You're delusional if you think what's presented there is acceptable. And I'm someone who'll put up with some serious ESL shit.

notpl

Arbiter
And the prequel is perfectly playable start to finish in the official release, no idea what you mean.

It's playable, yes. But it's garbled and half nonsensical. It's a fucking garbage translation and not something that should have been sold as a finished product. You're delusional if you think what's presented there is acceptable. And I'm someone who'll put up with some serious ESL shit.
??? I played it for the first time recently and have no idea what you're talking about, truly.

Jinn

Arcane
Are you really going to make me install that fucker, take screenshots, and give you examples of why it's an unacceptable machine translation with thousands upon thousands errors throughout? I'm a huge fan and advocate of these games on this forum, but let's get real.

notpl

Arbiter
Are you really going to make me install that fucker, take screenshots, and give you examples of why it's an unacceptable machine translation with thousands upon thousands errors throughout? I'm a huge fan and advocate of these games on this forum, but let's get real.
Did you pirate or buy? Played the most recent version with DLC? Are you talking about the western regions NPCs? I admit giving them a shitty font and all lowercase text was a bad design choice, but I think it was pretty clear they were meant to sound retarded, it wasn't a translation error but a dumb design decision.

Jinn

Arcane
Did you pirate or buy?
Bought, of course.

Played the most recent version with DLC?
The last time I played it was a couple years ago, post DLC release.
I admit giving them a shitty font and all lowercase text was a bad design choice, but I think it was pretty clear they were meant to sound retarded, it wasn't a translation error but a dumb design decision.
Every dialogue from the beginning of the game onward was of similar quality or worse than the last quarter of Tale of Wuxia, which was notoriously bad. Garbled syntax, spelling errors in almost every line, absurdly bad punctuation. Like I said, a machine translation and a bad one, with little to no editing devoted to it.

I mean for christ sake, they named the game "Pre-Sequel", which was a stupid joke title for that terrible Borderlands game. The Google-fu was strong in that hackneyed "translator" in charge of the project.

Last edited:

TheScarecrow

Educated
Gu Long waifus and husbandos are extremely high quality.

I would've played that card game due to its connection to HTLS but now that they're using upgraded Unity the autotranslate chit no longer works.
Someone is already translating Traveler of Wuxia, there is a mod in the workshop. It is not a finished translation yet, but the game is more or less playable with it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

??? I played it for the first time recently and have no idea what you're talking about, truly.
Dude, the options menu goes "On / Close" instead of "On / Off". And even the intro scene is full of translation and formatting errors.

u2ETINK.png

E1z2dAP.png

Yes, you can understand what is going on, but it looks like crap and destroys the atmosphere of the game. Imagine if you're reading Lords of the Rings or watching the movies for the first time, and instead of memorable lines like "One does not simply walk into Mordor", you get something like "Themordo r is not easy to walking". Yeah, you get that Boromir is saying it will be hard, but all the fun of the line is gone. These bad translations are this over and over and over.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
At least with ToW they did provide something, even if highly flawed (though with the dlc they at least fixed the translation here and there).

Once they became aware ang moh were doing fan translations, they basically stopped even considering an official translation. Fate Seeker devs are the same (they even gave that translator guy a free key).

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

Dude, the options menu goes "On / Close" instead of "On / Off". And even the intro scene is full of translation and formatting errors.

u2ETINK.png

E1z2dAP.png

Yes, you can understand what is going on, but it looks like crap and destroys the atmosphere of the game. Imagine if you're reading Lords of the Rings or watching the movies for the first time, and instead of memorable lines like "One does not simply walk into Mordor", you get something like "Themordo r is not easy to walking". Yeah, you get that Boromir is saying it will be hard, but all the fun of the line is gone. These bad translations are this over and over and over.
If that's your standard for "unacceptable engrish," then we have been playing different games and I envy you. The intro is unusually dogshit - most of the game is obviously not MTL. There was no MTL that could translate Chinese with that degree of accuracy available at the time, even DeepL at its most recent is still pretty garbage. TOW and the prequel were obviously translated for real, just not edited particularly well.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ill take a ToW PreSeq clone. Honestly out of 3 kind of games they make (raising sim RPG/ToW, HTLS clone, and PreSeq clone) it probably my least favorite style, but in the end of the day it is still enjoyable thorough.

notpl

Arbiter
Ill take a ToW PreSeq clone. Honestly out of 3 kind of games they make (raising sim RPG/ToW, HTLS clone, and PreSeq clone) it probably my least favorite style, but in the end of the day it is still enjoyable thorough.
It's fine, I just want Ho Tu Lo Shu combat again.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
You have main characters from different Gu Long works together in the same game. It's p. wild, reminds me of that Moorcock book where Corum, Elric and Erekose were working together.

notpl

Arbiter
You have main characters from different Gu Long works together in the same game. It's p. wild, reminds me of that Moorcock book where Corum, Elric and Erekose were working together.
It's really weird to me that they're making a fanfiction-style game with Actual Characters instead of just taking clear inspiration like they have with all the jin yong stuff in the past. That's ok, I'll keep playing that garbage.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But that's what their very first game was, Heroes of Jin Yong had you meeting and recruiting characters from several Jin Yong's novels. This is basically "Heroes of Gu Long".

It's a pretty cool concept. Like you said, Moorcock is the first one that pops to mind, but I wonder if this concept would work with other Western writers like Terry Pratchett, Ursula Le Guin, Brandon Sanderson, Neil Gailman...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Another one of these got an english release:

Trying it now, translations seems good and got no technical issues. It's not a great remaster - there's few graphical options, it doesn't look super sharp and they made some HORRENDOUS AI upscalling on the pre-rendered cutscenes, but it's playable.

What is bothering me is that maybe they changed the difficulty? Bosses are still hard, but I remember random enemies being more of a pain... now there's so quick to kill that it's even hard to weaken & capture them.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, it's supposed to be absurdly easy throughout, even more so than the original was. What a shame, but not a big surprise considering the series. I won't be playing it unless this changes, and the series as a whole is kind of dead to me for the same reason.

oasis789

Arcane

so the long-awaited sequel to "castle" just released for a few months and the company is already going under ffs

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

so the long-awaited sequel to "castle" just released for a few months and the company is already going under ffs

CN speakers I know who played this game said the game clearly ran out of budget and it affect the quality

I guess the sales is not good enough to keep the company afloat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom