Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Faith of Danschant is basically Chinese Final Fantasy.

The Scroll of Taiwu is a bit of everything.

Path of Wuxia is made by the Tale of Wuxia, Pre-sequel, and Ho Tu Lo Shu studio.

Xuan-Yuan 7 is a competent action rpg.

There's more if one has the patience to search. There are Steam curators to check out.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there a list of top chinese RPGs somewhere on the codex? I keep seeing people say that modern chinese rpgs are better than western ones but it's not clear to me what GOOD chinese rpgs even EXIST.

Ho To Lo Shu is THE shit basically and for people coming from western CRPG prolly the one that will click the most.

It is lighting in a bottle kinda of game that does everything it needs to do well pretty well and much like Arcanum also makes the studio almost goes bankrupt

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Is there a list of top chinese RPGs somewhere on the codex? I keep seeing people say that modern chinese rpgs are better than western ones but it's not clear to me what GOOD chinese rpgs even EXIST.

Ho To Lo Shu is THE shit basically and for people coming from western CRPG prolly the one that will click the most.

It is lighting in a bottle kinda of game that does everything it needs to do well pretty well and much like Arcanum also makes the studio almost goes bankrupt
Is there a good english translation for it though?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

No, that's the challenge. It's playable, but it's definitely frustrating how you're only getting a part of the experience. Some quests & systems you'll only understand if you translate Chinese guides.

Also, it has a ton of mods (including total overhauls), none of which was ever translated :(

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
45.png

OttoQuitmarck

Educated

No, that's the challenge. It's playable, but it's definitely frustrating how you're only getting a part of the experience. Some quests & systems you'll only understand if you translate Chinese guides.

Also, it has a ton of mods (including total overhauls), none of which was ever translated :(
Well I know a little chinese so maybe this is a good motivation to improve my chinese skills!

Latro

Arcane
Faith of Danschant is basically Chinese Final Fantasy.

The Scroll of Taiwu is a bit of everything.

Path of Wuxia is made by the Tale of Wuxia, Pre-sequel, and Ho Tu Lo Shu studio.

Xuan-Yuan 7 is a competent action rpg.

There's more if one has the patience to search. There are Steam curators to check out.
Does scroll of taiwu have good combat at least? Last I saw, the Chinese were review bombing because the dev abandoned it after release

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ehh, the combat isn't amazing, but it works within the confines of the game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion came out yesterday:

I'm only a few hours in but it's really interesting, with many unique combat styles and A LOT of choice & consequence. It's very open-world and open-ended, you can recruit a dozen of different companions, join sects, marry, duel people, etc...

5s59aTU.png

sAq7t4O.png

vv8sdqd.png

KIHLy2T.png

Translations aren't perfect, but it's mostly minor issues like calling spears and staffs "long weapons". The biggest annoyance might be the in-game clock, that is based on classic Chinese timekeeping. The day is divided into 12 sections of 2 hours, each with a unique name... and some quests will go "meet me in the village at mao", so keep like a jpeg in your phone showing the full names.

I got to beta-test the game and have 4 codes for it, first come first serve:

• KLLJ?-JB3BG-RE2WK
  • QA9R?-XE60W-2HFY7
  • 98B4G-R?K32-NJT84
  • 85XHW-R73G9-Q?KXN
*Replace "?" for the 1st letter of the first game :littlemissfun: worked on.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion came out yesterday:

I'm only a few hours in but it's really interesting, with many unique combat styles and A LOT of choice & consequence. It's very open-world and open-ended, you can recruit a dozen of different companions, join sects, marry, duel people, etc...

5s59aTU.png

sAq7t4O.png

vv8sdqd.png

KIHLy2T.png

Translations aren't perfect, but it's mostly minor issues like calling spears and staffs "long weapons". The biggest annoyance might be the in-game clock, that is based on classic Chinese timekeeping. The day is divided into 12 sections of 2 hours, each with a unique name... and some quests will go "meet me in the village at mao", so keep like a jpeg in your phone showing the full names.

I got to beta-test the game and have 4 codes for it, first come first serve:

• KLLJ?-JB3BG-RE2WK
  • QA9R?-XE60W-2HFY7
  • 98B4G-R?K32-NJT84
  • 85XHW-R73G9-Q?KXN
*Replace "?" for the 1st letter of the first game :littlemissfun: worked on.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ld-sandbox-rpg-with-turn-based-combat.148770/

I grabbed the first code. Much appreciated!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There have been some War of Genesis remake updates
So, it's coming out in December, Korea-only, they put out a demo and all the comments are about how much it sucks... what a shame :(

I checked the videos and it does have a language selection option on the menu, but the only language available is Korean. They probably do want an English release at some point.

musouking

Novice
Patron
Seems that Heluo win the lawsuit. :bounce:
Care to paraphrase?
原判決主文第一項判命上訴人應連帶給付被上訴人新臺幣貳仟肆佰萬元及其遲延利息與假執行之宣告、第二項判准被上訴人請求上訴人排除侵害部分,暨上開部分訴訟費用之裁判,均廢棄。二、上開廢棄部分,被上訴人在第一審之訴及假執行之聲請,均駁回。三、被上訴人於二審所為追加及變更之訴,均駁回。四、第一、二審(除確定部分外)及更審前第三審訴訟費用,均由被上訴人負擔。

Google translate in summary:
1. 24 million is what Zhiguan asked Heluo to compensate before.
2. Previously, Zhiguan wanted the copyright of Path of Wuxia and Ho Tu Lo Shu because Heluo refused to pay compensation (or was unable to pay compensation).
No compensation means no copyright deduction. (That is, the additional request mentioned in the judgment)
3. Zhiguan asked Heluo to eliminate the infringement part which probably mean the chivalrous style, martial arts heroes of Legend of Wulin Heroes was also rejected.
Maybe the character drawing of Tale of Wuxia can be changed back.
4. All previous court fees will be paid by Zhiguan.

Last edited:

GuardHei

Novice
Woah, it looks pretty good too. I'm guessing it's Taiwanese? I'm still surprised either way. That publisher is also bringing out Showa American Story, which I almost forgot about. It's kinda similar and something to keep an eye on.
Nah it's a small team (3-4 ppl) called ZJoy from mainland China. I bought this game back in 2021 because they were releasing content updates almost every two weeks with good community support back then.

GuardHei

Novice
To add to the Chinese RPG topic, the future doesn't look bright.
The sequel to the Faith of Danschant which was announced 2 years ago has remained silent since the start of this year. I can't be 100% sure, but from what I've heard in the industry, the project is canceled.
The same goes for the other essential title under 网元圣唐, Gujian 4 was announced but the core team had left the company (i think they launched their own studio but there's no public news). The mother company 网元圣唐 is more into mobile anime Gacha games recently, seeing the massive financial success of Mihoyo's Genshin Impact & others.

The longtime "opponent" of Gujian, and the starter of the Chinese "jRPG" genre, Sword & Fairy will no longer have any new standalone sequel according to Softstar. They have sold the IP to Chinese Mobile Gaming 中手游, whom're making a Genshin-like online open-world f2p RPG. It upset me when I realize S&F7 was made by a core team of 20ish ppl. (but it doesn't change the fact that the game plays like shit) And even then the game doesn't earn enough profit to justify the cost.

Pathea, the creator of great titles like Planet Explorers and My Time at Portia/Sandrock, had already turned into a shit hole years ago. They're hiring for a new arpg title, but i have no faith in them now.

There are dozens of indie studios making "souls-like" games using Unreal, basically re-skin of each other.

Giant tech companies like Netease, Mihoyo, and others who succeeded in f2p/mmo games are now investing in RPG areas. There's this on-developing game called Where Winds Meet from Netease that presented some interesting ideas. But it's Netease and they said "f2p", "mmo", "multi platforms", so fuck it. Arknight Endfield from Hypergraph is a game mixing Xenoblade & Factorio that looks fun, but again "f2p" "multi-platform". And then you have Mihoyo which I don't think I need to elaborate too much.

As someone who just stepped into the Chinese video game industry, the general atmosphere was pretty negative. There is a lot of money, but that doesn't generate good games. Everyone's talking about making AAA games but rarely talking about making fun games. So i guess the result is fair...

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As someone who just stepped into the Chinese video game industry, the general atmosphere was pretty negative. There is a lot of money, but that doesn't generate good games. Everyone's talking about making AAA games but rarely talking about making fun games. So i guess the result is fair...

Essentially the good games will come from Indie or AA studio instead. Taiwan is frankly not in better condition where all the game dev studio are aiming for gacha mobile games (or multi platform these days).

That being said Tencent is heavily investing in AAA single player titles so hopefully some Wuxia stuff will come out from one of their studios

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom