Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I had to reup my 2fa today (from yesterday), despite having the 30 day thing clicked. Just restarting the browser did not make me have to reup, so I don't think the issue is cookie retention on my end?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had to reup my 2fa today (from yesterday), despite having the 30 day thing clicked. Just restarting the browser did not make me have to reup, so I don't think the issue is cookie retention on my end?

What browser are you using out of interest?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sides, if the problem was cookie retention, we wouldn't even be able to login.
Well, we would, but the cookie would get deleted instantly, giving the appearance that we can't.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Firefox

Hmm, I'm tempted to try logging in via Firefox and see if it requires re-authing later.

I've never had any issues with the 2fa (been using it since it was first introduced), but I've only ever used it with Brave and Vivaldi so probably worth double checking there isn't a browser compat issue at play here.

Edit: Have logged in with Firefox with a 2fa prompt and 30-day checked. I'll check it again later today and tomorrow and see if I get prompted again.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
not sure how viable it is to implement but just being able to post messages or even read without 2fa fuckness would be nice. then deleting / editing messages would require whatever jewish code 2fa is.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Refusing to enact basic digital security hygiene TO TRIGGER DA LIBS xDDDD
Every time my account gets hacked a blue haired dyke gets TRIGGGURED xDDDDDD
those stupid fucking libruls never think anything over properly. what if a gust of wind blows the 2fa code sheet out of my hand and takes it over the edge of the flat earth? it's like the jews want me to post on rusty's lolirpgloliuohhhlolicodex.gov

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I see the discord trannies continue to be deranged and obsessive. reminder to anyone complaining about 2FA: these are the type of ''''''''''''''people'''''''''''''''' that DarkUnderlord and Infinitron caters to, NOT you.

those stupid fucking libruls never think anything over properly. what if a gust of wind blows the 2fa code sheet out of my hand and takes it over the edge of the flat earth? it's like the jews want me to post on rusty's lolirpgloliuohhhlolicodex.gov
Someone should compare these two posts as part of a serious academic study, though on what topic I have no clue

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I activated 2FA after I read about Kony's account, a few hours before this thread announced that it was mandatory. So far I've only had to login once. Seems to be working on my machine(tm).

BruceVC

Magister
. what if a gust of wind blows the 2fa code sheet out of my hand and takes it over the edge of the flat earth
" what if a gust of wind blows the 2fa code sheet out of my hand and takes it over the edge of the flat earth " :lol: :lol:

You know you are one of the funniest people on Codex, I love your sense of humor

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Anyone with half a brain
Might as well stop right there as that part is still accurate. There's a huge population of internet dwellers who have various "security" addons installed up the wazoo because every time that they read somewhere that they NEED another one, they just press the button and install it without having a clue what it actually does and which things it can mess up for them. The fact of the matter is, it's not the site owners' responsibility to babysit users who install addons or mess with default browser settings that are beyond their comprehension and ability to tweak when they interfere with normal website use. Especially those who like blaming the site owners for shit they they've caused themselves to themselves.

Now, the complaint about having to reuthenticate when using multiple devices is valid (assuming that it holds true -- if you're just blocking cookies everywhere, then shit's on you), but hasn't even come up in the thread until your post, which indicates that most users here don't actually switch between several devices every day. We've had debates on this before and the norm here is that users either hate mobiles and never use them and only post from their PC, OR they more or less constantly use mobiles only OR they normally post from their PC and only sporadically access the Codex from their mobiles. Naturally, there will be exceptions as well, but not that many.

We've discussed possible alternatives to using 2FA in this thread and they might replace it, so nothing's set in stone at this point. I've pulled the trigger on 2FA because it was a quick solution to the problem at hand, but if DU wants to spend time on implementing alternatives and change the site rules to match, he can go ahead.

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Hmm, I'm tempted to try logging in via Firefox and see if it requires re-authing later.
It doesn't, I use Firefox, it works fine. It'll be either blocked cookies or one of the addons that they've installed or something else that's affecting default browser functionality.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Took a while to even remember what mail i used, pass thru 2 step there to pass this step and you cant even read about whats happenin since it redirects you to 2stepfagetry all the time

Kz3r0

Arcane
So darkpatriot thoroughly violating op-sec made necessary to redact his posting history and Russian hackers are blamed while prestigious Codexers are pestered and have their rights restricted.
Since when hilary clinton is the new administrator of this site?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone with half a brain
Might as well stop right there as that part is still accurate. There's a huge population of internet dwellers who have various "security" addons installed up the wazoo because every time that they read somewhere that they NEED another one, they just press the button and install it without having a clue what it actually does and which things it can mess up for them. The fact of the matter is, it's not the site owners' responsibility to babysit users who install addons or mess with default browser settings that are beyond their comprehension and ability to tweak when they interfere with normal website use. Especially those who like blaming the site owners for shit they they've caused themselves to themselves.

Now, the complaint about having to reuthenticate when using multiple devices is valid (assuming that it holds true -- if you're just blocking cookies everywhere, then shit's on you), but hasn't even come up in the thread until your post, which indicates that most users here don't actually switch between several devices every day. We've had debates on this before and the norm here is that users either hate mobiles and never use them and only post from their PC, OR they more or less constantly use mobiles only OR they normally post from their PC and only sporadically access the Codex from their mobiles. Naturally, there will be exceptions as well, but not that many.

We've discussed possible alternatives to using 2FA in this thread and they might replace it, so nothing's set in stone at this point. I've pulled the trigger on 2FA because it was a quick solution to the problem at hand, but if DU wants to spend time on implementing alternatives and change the site rules to match, he can go ahead.

You are one of these coders who always blame layer 8 right?

People like you are responsible for both lack of information in UI because "if the plebs are too stupid to use it it's their fault huehuehuehue" and Windows 8 "Plebs are too stupid to use things therefore we put everything in bubble wrap so they can't hurt themselves huehuehuehue"

Just to make that clear, I do not have the re-authentication issue but your retarded stance regarding cookies tells much, you behaved similar with the forum upgrade, shamefur dispray.

Semiurge

Cipher
So now the authenticator codes worked without having to disable and re-enable the 2FA. The only difference is that I didn't login from a mobile before, but I can't see how that would matter as the hive of codes remains the same. Also I had the app running before signing in with username and password.

It's the only thing I can think of.

I put in the 2FA code yesterday, and I had to put it in again today.

I think it's cookie-based. Might be browser plugins you are running.

For reference, I use Codex on Brave browser usually whilst connected to VPN and have never noticed this behaviour. The only notable addon I really run is uBlock Origin.

I see, I block all cookies by default.

Not all, because otherwise you wouldn't be posting here. All sign-ins require 1. party cookies.

Firefox

I've never had any issues with the 2fa (been using it since it was first introduced), but I've only ever used it with Brave and Vivaldi so probably worth double checking there isn't a browser compat issue at play here.

Edit: Have logged in with Firefox with a 2fa prompt and 30-day checked. I'll check it again later today and tomorrow and see if I get prompted again.

Firefox is retarded in that way that you can't keep specific cookies unless you delete all others manually. From a list of possibly thousands. Even if you set exceptions you can't use the built-in ways of mass deleting cookies, for those settings don't respect exceptions. It's all or nothing.

Last edited:
Anyone with half a brain

To summarize:

Zanthia

Novice
Firefox is retarded in that way that you can't keep specific cookies unless you delete all others manually. From a list of possibly thousands. Even if you set exceptions you can't use the built-in ways of mass deleting cookies, for those settings don't respect exceptions. It's all or nothing.
This isn't true, I use Firefox and auto-delete all cookies apart from whitelist. This forum is whitelisted, and I had to do the stupid 2fa twice which I thought meant I'd have to do it every visit, but it's working now as I expect it to. Maybe you are getting tripped up by the obnoxious way you have to add cookie exceptions as http and https and www. and not for no reason for most sites (I can't remember if it's like that for this site). Check what is in the currently saved data list and copy that and it works fine.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Anyone with half a brain

You are one of these coders who always blame layer 8 right?

People like you are responsible for both lack of information in UI because "if the plebs are too stupid to use it it's their fault huehuehuehue" and Windows 8 "Plebs are too stupid to use things therefore we put everything in bubble wrap so they can't hurt themselves huehuehuehue"

Just to make that clear, I do not have the re-authentication issue but your retarded stance regarding cookies tells much, you behaved similar with the forum upgrade, shamefur dispray.
If taluntain doesn't actually look like this, this is his spirit animal:

8u0aHQo.png

BruceVC

Magister
So darkpatriot thoroughly violating op-sec made necessary to redact his posting history and Russian hackers are blamed while prestigious Codexers are pestered and have their rights restricted.
Since when hilary clinton is the new administrator of this site?
I realize you and others are too lazy to read the thread or understand the issue but thats okay, I will summarize it

Its not just DP that was hacked, it was several users and thousands of posts were deleted and many of them were not political posts

2FA is the easiest way to prevent this from happening again, happy ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom