Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mmmm... so many options to join this discussion:

1- I have used medium armor for several characters of my group [honest]

2- Medium armor is like that girlfriend with great tits, average body, and kind of a weird face. It's subpar but you still fuck her every night [clever]

3- Medium armor is not garbage, stop being such gigantic faggots [aggressive]

4- Medium armor is good for what it is [codexian]

Mmmm... so many options to join this discussion:

1- I have used medium armor for several characters of my group [honest]

2- Medium armor is like that girlfriend with great tits, average body, and kind of a weird face. It's subpar but you still fuck her every night [clever]

3- Medium armor is not garbage, stop being such gigantic faggots [aggressive]

4- Medium armor is good for what it is [codexian]
This is when I regret not discovering (and registering on) Codex for so long, because I really want to brofist that!
Well, anyway: :bro:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are all popamole faggots by the way, true Codexian set up the game so it doesn't show the attribute prerequisites in the dialogue. :martini:

Lord Andre

Arcane
You are all popamole faggots by the way, true Codexian set up the game so it doesn't show the attribute prerequisites in the dialogue.

True dat. PotD + Expert is the only monocled way to go. However, Expert also hides the area indicators for AoE spells. :negative:

Using my fingers on the screen to gauge fan of flames probable cone area.:argh: Good thing that eventually my tanks were twinked enough to cast through them with impunity.:lol:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I went through the 'what difficulty are you playing on thread'. You replied with normal. So no, on normal you don't have to min max , or even be at your keyboard for the combat. When people are talking about the advantages of min maxing they are not referring to normal.
Beat the game on normal when it realeased, and I used the standard 2 tank 4 dps strategy because it was the most obvious thing to do. If you had looked through the more recent posts in that thread you will see where I mentioned that I did a second playthrough on hard, using only mid armor, and it has proven more effective.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Fair enough. I hadn't read through the whole post. Heck I havent played through the whole game. The bit out deflection getting better the more of it you have is still true. I am wondering if you have tried just not even having *tanks* ? I've been wondering if you can get away with it on hard and just smash stuff nice and quickly instead of trying to tank damage. Also might make you actually need to use CC abilities.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are all popamole faggots by the way, true Codexian set up the game so it doesn't show the attribute prerequisites in the dialogue. :martini:
Why don't you hide the combat log while you're at it too?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Beat the game on normal when it realeased, and I used the standard 2 tank 4 dps strategy because it was the most obvious thing to do. If you had looked through the more recent posts in that thread you will see where I mentioned that I did a second playthrough on hard, using only mid armor, and it has proven more effective.

Normal difficulty in PoE = Very Easy
Hard difficulty in PoE = Easy
PotD difficulty in PoE = Normal if you use custom characters, Hard if you go with set companions

99% of fights are same, there are no ambushes, no "rule changes", no "enviromental effects", no specific debuffs for battle, no absence of certain characters per fight, no obstacles on battle-field, enemies never use stealth (bonus point: some of enemies you fight are clearly rogues or thiefs who should have stealth).

oh and 1% of fights (bosses) are a joke, that can be easy cheesed with status-effects. Or if you are lazy - with crafted scrolls (you will have enough for them for boss fights).

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
enemies never use stealth (bonus point: some of enemies you fight are clearly rogues or thiefs who should have stealth)
I don't think you remotely understand how this game works.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I need to add that medium armor is ofc viable. If you like slower battles.
Since you can as well fight in heavy armor or no armor at all, you are guaranteed to win battles easy no matter what armor you will wear with chars. Its just having no armor for dps chars will make fights go faster.

But if you like it "safe and slow" you can play with all 6 chars equiped in heaviest of armor. It is still viable. Just very,very slow battles.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
enemies never use stealth (bonus point: some of enemies you fight are clearly rogues or thiefs who should have stealth)

This didnt stop me from winning easily on 1st playthough (Hard, mage with set companions <- got confused by difficulty name), and PoTd on 2nd run (2 custom tanks and 4 ciphers).

This speaks a lot about game design and encounters if i didnt had any difficulty with game on hardest difficulty - while not remotely understanding how it works )

Athelas

Arcane

This didnt stop me from winning easily on 1st playthough (Hard, mage with set companions <- got confused by difficulty name), and PoTd on 2nd run (2 custom tanks and 4 ciphers).

This speaks a lot about game design and encounters if i didnt had any difficulty with game on hardest difficulty - while not remotely understanding how it works )
I don't know how you can finish the game twice and miss the fact that rogues aren't the only class that can use stealth. They aren't even the best class at using stealth.

Nor am I sure why'd you do two consecutive back-to-back playthroughs for a game whose encounter design left you that bored. I'm probably gonna wait on the expansions/game-improving mods/inevitable GOTY edition before doing another playthrough myself.

Last edited:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well that is the failure of the min/max mindset: thinking that because deflection and DR are important that they have to increase those number as high as possible at the expense of everything else. There is a point where they're high enough to achieve the purposes of a tank, and spending more points and item slots on them becomes suboptimal.

My thoughts as well. Eventually (at least when using Fighters) you get tanks which are basically invulnerable except when they are subjected to repeated stuns or the hardest of enemies. At that point it's more efficient to invest in dealing more damage to speed up the encounters (unless you are going in for some redundancy to keep them tanky for a particularly hard battle).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah because being stunned means you stopped taking damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom