Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LoL is fucking terrible, but it has better combat than Pillars of Eternity, so I'm not so surprised.
Too bad Josh doesn't come to the Codex. He would update his txt on how to appeal to the LoL audience.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Even if I hadn't played PoE or heard anything else about it, I would now know that it's shit because it's been praised by Kotaku.

Kotaku would praise Torment as well if it came out today. Not because they understand anything about quality in video games, but because it would score higher in their list of "things that make a game art". It would be like an hipster douchebag who thinks Boyhood is a great masterpiece of cinema praising Fellini's 8 1/2 because it is also kinda artsy as well, without having no idea whatsoever of why 8 1/2 is a great film.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Even LoL players can see what's wrong with PoE
But can they see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?!

roshan

Arcane
I won't deny I'm only posting this because it's hilarious:

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.co...es-pillars-of-eternity-have-such-high-reviews

The fan creations are bs. Don't look at the tombstones, don't ever hit the "reach out for the soul" option. I assure you these fan creations which serve as ghosts whom tell you their life stories which have virtually no impact on the game have nothing worthwhile to say whatsoever.

The devs caved into an SJW on twitter and sucked the dick of a transgender man-woman and removed a pathetically non-offensive limerick from the game.

Funny enough, one of the GHOSTS that ONLY I CAN INTERACT WITH caught me stealing from a persons house and somehow reported me. Getting mad I decided to kill the ghost, which my companions somehow knew was there, and after killing it it dropped loot and the rest of the village became hostile to me because I killed a ghost no one could see.

The game itself has 10 companions, wheras the original Baldur's Gate (game it tries to succeed) has 30.

Their excuses for joining you, risking their life for you, and doing chores around your keep are: It seems less boring than waiting around. Whoever wrote dialogue for the Paladin was so awful I cringed at almost every line of dialogue.

More than that, most dialogue in the game is a boring letdown. Can writers just understand quality doesn't equal quantity? Good writers write pages and pages describing every detail, then when they review it they condense the material so that it has the maximum effect. It's called efficient writing, and this is something PoE doesn't have. It has redundant, boring writing the average college professor would give a C- for.

Grieving mother has some of the most boring dialogue in the history of the fucking world. And not only that, she tests you. If you don't pay attention you have to go through it again if you want to pass her crappy questline.

It's riddled with game breaking bugs. The characters don't even try to connect with you on a personal level. The monsters only sometimes give experience points. The mages have almost only useless spells and cc that lasts about 2-4 seconds.

The combat is so awful, you pretty much only lose if you can't micromanage every decision besides autoattacking, and the backline that does damage on your team is just sitting ducks if your tanks can't peel the ever increasing number of enemies off.

The loading screens (Loading screens of Eternity) are the equivalent of seeing a man made of obsidian rock reach his hand out of your pc to grab your neck and crush your soul.

The "incentives" to buy the delux edition or the "royal" edition 60->80$ are cheap ass digital wallpapers and soundtrack stuff that I was lucky enough not to be suckered into.

The graphics in general-> spells for instance, are horrid. They are reused and crappily done, some of them don't even have a graphic.

TLDR; BAD: Combat, class system, loading screen, story, dialogue, companions, graphics, bugs, marketing, and world in general.

:lol:

Not actually very different from typical Codex complaints. It's great to see that even some of those outside these forums can tell the game is mostly shit.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, i sort of had a falling out with moderntardism, and there's a lot of moderntarded shit in the films of Fellini. I still rank him among the greatest filmmakers of all time, but i just have an harder time with his movies now than i used to. Stuff like 8 1/2 in particular is where that Jungian shit first started to show up in full force, and i seriously hate that crap. Back when i had no idea what it is he was talking about, i found that stuff interesting or at least fascinating. Now, i just find myself arguing with the movie while i'm watching it, which is a bit distracting, to say the least.

Eitherway, 8 1/2 is like this relentless tour de force where Fellini takes us through the facade of life using himself as the subject. The structure of the film may seem hard to understand at first but that's because it is essentially polyphonic rather than linear. You have multiple themes running parallel to each other, each developing in conjunction with the others in what in a veritable "point against point" fashion. And this is done because Fellini is looking at himself from different angles. You have Fellini the man (Mastroianni), Fellini the intellectual (the critic), Fellini the artist (the magician) and so forth. And each of those point of views provides its own commentary to what is happening, often at the same time. Now i'm not going through each and every single theme the movie happens to thread upon (and there's a shitload of them), but to me the one thing that elevates Fellini above the rest is the fact even his moderntardism is ultimately also a facade, whether he himself knew it or not. What i mean is that an element of transcendence and even beauty remains even when he is at his most nihilistic. And this sense of transcendence is a recurring theme in all of his movies, and was the main subject of his last film, La voce della luna. Modern art as a whole is basically but an exploration of what is "below" man, usually under the assumption there is nothing "above" him. All of our values and ideals are basically lies our conscious mind has created to cover up the dark forces that truly drive our existence. But unlike the vast majority of modernists, Fellini does perceive there is something above man, and he is a modernist not because he truly believes in modernism, but because he feels the falsity and hypocrisy of our "normal" existence, not from the point of view of someone who believes there is nothing above that, but from the point of view of one who was looking for true meaning, and that falsity and hypocrisy posed as an almost insurmountable obstacle, and he is acting against it out of a feeling of resentment more than anything else. And to be frank, i cannot entirely blame him, not the least because i went through an identical phase myself, and in many ways i'm still struggling with it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not actually very different from typical Codex complaints. It's great to see that even some of those outside these forums can tell the game is mostly shit.
"Baldurs Gate had 30 companions."
This is a quality review we got here!!

roshan

Arcane

It had 25 companions, so that's not really too far off the mark. Pillars of Eternity has only 8 companions, and with that number, you would expect them to have surprising levels of depth, but that is not the case.

EDIT: If you count tutorial companions, then the 30 vs 10 figure is accurate.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It had 25 companions, so that's not really too far off the mark. Pillars of Eternity has only 8 companions, and with that number, you would expect them to have surprising levels of depth, but that is not the case.

Damn, it really had that many NPCs? My memory is foggy about that, but I never knew it had 25. Still, 30 missed the mark. :P

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Lyric Suite sorry you conform yourself to despicable, desiccated high culture standards that you were force-fed in Film History 101 and had to learn by heart for the exams. If a film used to be important and influential in its time, it doesn't mean it has to be idolized like a holy relic forever. When you get over worshiping the high-minded lofty art-house dramas of some old fart's younger days, reread your post and we'll both have a good hearty laugh about it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haaaa, you are one of those people. A by "those" people i mean you are one of the many retards that populate this planet who don't know shit about anything but still think they already have everything figured out.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A European art house drama is like an omega male, he sends you music tracks on skype, tries to console you, shyly touches your shoulder on your 8th date, implies that he's got a deep personality.
An American movie is like an alpha stud, it takes you for a ride with awesome music and visuals, offers you a drink and half an hour later you're already banging at the back sit of the car and the movie's even got a finger up your ass.

No homo.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
No, that's a gay movie if we go back to my previous metaphor. It's for gays.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Damn, it really had that many NPCs? My memory is foggy about that, but I never knew it had 25. Still, 30 missed the mark. :P
It has 21. Bg1EE added 4 more.

roshan

Arcane

It has 21. Bg1EE added 4 more.

Wow what is it with classics being mentally downgraded? First it was Infinitron claiming that BG1 had two redundant stealth skills, now apparently no one can even believe how many NPCs the game had.

Baldur's Gate 1 had 25 companions. Alora, Ajantis, Tiax, Branwen, Shar Teel, Eldoth, Skie, Quayle, Dynaheir, Minsc, Edwin, Garrick, Xzar, Montaron, Khalid, Jaheira, Coran, Xan, Yeslick, Imoen, Viconia, Kagain, Kivan, Faldorn, Safana.

In addition to these 25 companions, there are 5 training companions in Candlekeep. For a total of 30 vs 10, which counts the two training companions in POE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, I guess I was wrong. I took my number from faulty memory of a guide site where I was checking out all companions stats and classes while planning my next play.

BTW, I never played the tutorial in BG1 but I watched someone on stream play it at end. And same companions from the game were in it: for example Branwen was showing priest spells.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ok, I guess I was wrong. I took my number from faulty memory of a guide site where I was checking out all companions stats and classes while planning my next play.

BTW, I never played the tutorial in BG1 but I watched someone on stream play it at end. And same companions from the game were in it: for example Branwen was showing priest spells.

Sorry, Did any critics of IE actually play the fucking game ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom