Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Berathian Priest Robes (from Readric Hold quest) are the best light-medium armor in the game when it comes to DR to recovery penalty ratio, and they can still be enchanted.

They look pretty good too.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I would agree about their effectiveness. Not the looks though. I thought they were straight up fuggers personally.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
People are intentionally playing the game badly to increase combat diversity ? And then call the rest of us retarded...
:gumpyhead:
What the fuck are you talking about? I (and some others) just said that I play on normal difficulty so playing with the most optimal build, using only the best spells is not mandatory. I'm playing more casually. You can say that I'm a casual faggot.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
What the fuck are you talking about? I (and some others) just said that I play on normal difficulty so playing with the most optimal build, using only the best spells is not mandatory.
uh even playing on PotD doesn't require optimal builds J_C.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
It does seem a little funny to claim on the one hand that the game is too easy, and on the other that the only way to play is a single party configuration.

Yeah, it's not too difficult if you play in the safest and most boring playstyle possible. Other party builds are just as viable and more fun. After experimenting a little I wouldn't even say the two ultra-heavy tanks + 4 ultra-light ranged is even the optimal party, just the easiest and safest.

My current party configuration is: PC Monk in hide armour with fists, Eder in Saint's War armor and sabre/mid shield, Durance in gambeson and mace/small shield, Pallegina in breastplate and morning star, Grieving Mother in padded armor with crossbow, and Aloth in leather armor with a wand. GM and Aloth are my most squishy characters and even they can stand up to some melee combat. Everyone has good damage output, including my frontline. Everyone except my monk and Eder have both ranged and melee abilities.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm sorry, but there is no such thing in this game as "other party builds", unless we talk about silly things like 6 wizards.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't see how playing without a dedicated tank would be impossible, unless you find the game extraordinarily difficult for some reason.

Ziem

Arbiter
It does seem a little funny to claim on the one hand that the game is too easy, and on the other that the only way to play is a single party configuration.
2 tanks 4 dpsers is just the easiest, most foolproof way, not "the only way"
i didnt want to ruin my first playthrough with some stupid minmaxed character builds so i decided not to use any hired adventurers, and finished the game on hard with 1 tank (eder) and 5 damage dealers (druid pc, aloth, grieving mother, durance, kana)
everything is viable as long as you have a tank
even a party with 5 tanks should be viable, the fights are going to take fucking forever though, since tanky characters dont have good damage output (inb4 retaliation :roll:)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone uses Medium armor?

It looks like only Heavy armor for tank is useful, for ranged dps its best to not put any armor at all.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I do this with nearly every RPG in order to get enjoyment out of them. You probably do too.

I don't play 2 tanks and 4 ciphers because I want to experience more classes, have more variety, so yes - it's normal to a degree. But I'm not gonna use a brigandine instead of full plate for diversity, not when full plate has a clear defense advantage at the loss of 5% attack speed. And probably neither would you.

My Kana wears a Brigandine and doesn't give a shit. Enjoy being trapped in your own autistic limitations.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I do this with nearly every RPG in order to get enjoyment out of them. You probably do too.

I don't play 2 tanks and 4 ciphers because I want to experience more classes, have more variety, so yes - it's normal to a degree. But I'm not gonna use a brigandine instead of full plate for diversity, not when full plate has a clear defense advantage at the loss of 5% attack speed. And probably neither would you.

My Kana wears a Brigandine and doesn't give a shit. Enjoy being trapped in your own autistic limitations.

So? You enjoy the game, good for you. Other people have different standards. If the point is to let everyone know that you like it "sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much", mission acomplished I guess. If the point is to let us know that we're retards for having different standards than you, then guess what we think of you...:roll:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Anyone uses Medium armor?

It looks like only Heavy armor for tank is useful, for ranged dps its best to not put any armor at all.
Medium armor is completely adequate for frontliners. Seems like a lot of people around here cannot into striking a *~balance*~ in a system that has tradeoffs. :balance:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I avoid the need to wear anything higher than robes in 90% of cases through positioning and controlling enemy targeting. Wearing heavier armor would be detrimental in that case because it just means I kill things slower and end up taking more damage.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I avoid the need to wear anything higher than robes in 90% of cases through positioning and controlling enemy targeting. Wearing heavier armor would be detrimental in that case because it just means I kill things slower and end up taking more damage.
For your front line / tanks?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They're always in the heaviest armor. In my current save I have Exceptional Plate and Fine Plate or something on them and whatever items boost defenses/DR. Hadn't found the Sanguine Plate that everyone else uses at the stage of the game I was in.

tdphys

Learned
This whole discussion on what's hard or easy is totally moot. The game is brutally *hard* if your underleveled. It's simplistically easy if your overleveled. The problem is, the target range of just right between the two is fairly narrow. This is a 4e mindset, which works a little better when an actual DM can actively tune the encounter. I rather like the 5e DnD mentality of Bounded Accuracy, where one tightens the range levelling, so that lower level monsters remain meaningful, and higher level ones are accessible. Then interesting things can happen with encounter design. However, I can see the game designer attitude, where higher power scaling allows them to "level" the game easily. In POE, due to the massive amount of possible XP, it can make it get trivial fast. It also allows some crazy power swings when buffing/debuffing.

I just finished the last battle. It took me 20+ tries, since I was doing it the hard way... kill bottom golem using will based attacks, kill top golem using reflex attack, stand up characters knocked down by Thaos... I had almost done it a few times.

Then I tried an anti-magic debuff on thaos, which dropped his def by 50ish (greatest debuff in the game) and nuked him down in 10 seconds while some figurine summons ran screens against the golems. There is some huge swings in power levels in this game. You might even say, I had a hard counter ... and used it.

Sensuki

Arcane
Lol that's what I was planning to do for the final battle when I get to it, actually use Arcane Dampener, which I've never used once in the game.

Still sounds like a pretty shitty fight though.

tdphys

Learned
well, I was really enjoying trying to do it the hard way... but it was a relief to finally end it. I actually hated Thaos way more then Irenicus by the end of this game. It was some good schadenfreude to put him away. If you don't take care of him quickly, he really puts the boot to you though...

Ninjerk

Arcane
Making medium armors worthwhile seems like a struggle that's never been satisfactorily resolved. Whether D&D, Arcanum, DA:O, New Vegas, etc. I always either go light or the heaviest I can find. Sawyer's one in a long line of designers who couldn't answer the question. Oblivion/Skyrim did the obvious and just streamlined it to light and heavy.
The obvious answer I saw, in this very system, is not giving armor sets a "default" DR and maybe going back on armor not giving avoidance.

tdphys

Learned
IMHO the best way to make midrange/lighter armor meaningful is to allow talent investment in removing recovery penalties, going up the chain of light->medium-> heavy. At least it would allow a build for which that type of armor was *optimal*.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
IMHO the best way to make midrange/lighter armor meaningful is to allow talent investment in removing recovery penalties, going up the chain of light->medium-> heavy. At least it would allow a build for which that type of armor was *optimal*.

That's what D&D 5ed does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom