Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Lhynn

Arcane
You are all popamole faggots by the way, true Codexian set up the game so it doesn't show the attribute prerequisites in the dialogue. :martini:
:nocountryforshitposters:
True codexians turn on the tags so they can be spared of the writing.

continue...

continue...

continue...

........[Benevolent]
other stuff

why yes, im a good guy

continue continue continue

..........[clever]
other stuff

why yes, im smart

continue...

continue...

end convo.

Check journal.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You are all popamole faggots by the way, true Codexian set up the game so it doesn't show the attribute prerequisites in the dialogue. :martini:
:nocountryforshitposters:
True codexians turn on the tags so they can be spared of the writing.

continue...

continue...

continue...

........[Benevolent]
other stuff

why yes, im a good guy

continue continue continue

..........[clever]
other stuff

why yes, im smart

continue...

continue...

end convo.

Check journal.
You missed a perfect opportunity to make fun of the difficulty setting he chose.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I enjoy seeing what prereqs I have or have not hit in dialogues. I don't like seeing the effects of dialogue options on reputation/disposition, it plays to Mass Effect-style minmaxing, even though the gameplay doesn't really reward that from what I can see so far. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the effect after I click the dialogue, though I guess that could reward savescumming or some other degeneracy.

Revealing your disposition numbers somewhat takes away from the magic of the varied dialogue though, some villager saying "I heard you're a bit of a cunt" would ~*feel*~ better if it tried a bit harder to hide the fact that it was just checking the number on your character sheet.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You have to see the effect of dialogue on your reputation/disposition, because otherwise you cannot tell which option is which. The writing is not good enough for a person to behave in a given manner without knowing in advance how the author interprets the response options. Stoic, for example, just means "mute" in this game.

The system is poorly implemented so you need the training wheels if you want it to work.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had no problem with figuring out reputation/dispositions just from reading the dialogue options. Maybe I have life experience and social contact.

Or maybe you're a simpleton, because the dialogue options don't allow you to play a stoic character unless you interpret stoic to mean that you got your tongue cut out and you have the IQ of a chimpanzee

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I had no problem with figuring out reputation/dispositions just from reading the dialogue options. Maybe I have life experience and social contact.

Or maybe you're a simpleton, because the dialogue options don't allow you to play a stoic character unless you interpret stoic to mean that you got your tongue cut out and you have the IQ of a chimpanzee

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Bottom line is, the dialogue responses are poorly written, the authors have strange definitions for the reputation types, and the whole thing feels very artificial. If you want it to kind of work, and get the reputation bonus for your priest, it's best to just put on the training wheels.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I got Benevolent 4, rational 3, honest 3 and a lot of other shit, including cruel and agressive. I liked the system and in my next playthrough I'm gonna roleplay a dumbfuck cretin. No need for help to determine how that is.

Israfael

Arcane
This guy awarded 95% to DA2 and 75% to MotB, mind you.

So clearly there is no point with reading his review then, is there?
Well, while that statement is certainly close to truth, he's more incline than the mainstream journalists. It's just almost every game is banalshitboring for him, apart from his favourites. So 82% from him is kinda high mark, i guess.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kotaku review:

ArchAngel

Arcane
finished in 33 hours?! WTF? Did he skip reading dialogues and skip 50% of side quests?! I bet he played on Easy and finished the game on lvl 9 or something.

Lhynn

Arcane
finished in 33 hours?! WTF? Did he skip reading dialogues and skip 50% of side quests?! I bet he played on Easy and finished the game on lvl 9 or something.
So he played it in the most fun way possible.

Lhynn

Arcane

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Even if I hadn't played PoE or heard anything else about it, I would now know that it's shit because it's been praised by Kotaku.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

As long as we're having an existential moment, this would be a good time for the RPGCodex's "Thaos" moment.

Sensuki: What is this?

Josh Sawyer: It is the Engagement system.

Sensuki: What is it for?

Josh Sawyer: It has many uses. Its primary purpose is to bring order to the chaos that surrounds it.

Sensuki: Did you lie to me when you said there was incline?

"Josh Sawyer says nothing"

Sensuki: Is there no incline?

Josh Sawyer: What is incline? Hm? Feats and skills? Attributes that open pathways in the dialogue wheel? A set of statistics and a steady drip of loot that gives power gamers something to fixate over when their days seem like a bridge from one boredom to the next? Our systems are all of these things.

Sensuki: IS THERE NO INCLINE?!

Josh Sawyer: ... we are in a sacred place, within earshot of Avellone and Tim Cain themselves. This is not the time. You have been through much these past few months. You will return home and rest. The incline is far from over, and I will have need of you.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
What a disaster. I'm surprised a reviewer from Kotaku played more than 5 minutes of the tutorial.

While it is nice if they partake in 1 or 2 side quests and finish the main story.... last I checked, reviewers are under absolutely no pressure to finish a game let alone 100% complete all possible content. That would be complete madness.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I won't deny I'm only posting this because it's hilarious:

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.co...es-pillars-of-eternity-have-such-high-reviews

The fan creations are bs. Don't look at the tombstones, don't ever hit the "reach out for the soul" option. I assure you these fan creations which serve as ghosts whom tell you their life stories which have virtually no impact on the game have nothing worthwhile to say whatsoever.

The devs caved into an SJW on twitter and sucked the dick of a transgender man-woman and removed a pathetically non-offensive limerick from the game.

Funny enough, one of the GHOSTS that ONLY I CAN INTERACT WITH caught me stealing from a persons house and somehow reported me. Getting mad I decided to kill the ghost, which my companions somehow knew was there, and after killing it it dropped loot and the rest of the village became hostile to me because I killed a ghost no one could see.

The game itself has 10 companions, wheras the original Baldur's Gate (game it tries to succeed) has 30.

Their excuses for joining you, risking their life for you, and doing chores around your keep are: It seems less boring than waiting around. Whoever wrote dialogue for the Paladin was so awful I cringed at almost every line of dialogue.

More than that, most dialogue in the game is a boring letdown. Can writers just understand quality doesn't equal quantity? Good writers write pages and pages describing every detail, then when they review it they condense the material so that it has the maximum effect. It's called efficient writing, and this is something PoE doesn't have. It has redundant, boring writing the average college professor would give a C- for.

Grieving mother has some of the most boring dialogue in the history of the fucking world. And not only that, she tests you. If you don't pay attention you have to go through it again if you want to pass her crappy questline.

It's riddled with game breaking bugs. The characters don't even try to connect with you on a personal level. The monsters only sometimes give experience points. The mages have almost only useless spells and cc that lasts about 2-4 seconds.

The combat is so awful, you pretty much only lose if you can't micromanage every decision besides autoattacking, and the backline that does damage on your team is just sitting ducks if your tanks can't peel the ever increasing number of enemies off.

The loading screens (Loading screens of Eternity) are the equivalent of seeing a man made of obsidian rock reach his hand out of your pc to grab your neck and crush your soul.

The "incentives" to buy the delux edition or the "royal" edition 60->80$ are cheap ass digital wallpapers and soundtrack stuff that I was lucky enough not to be suckered into.

The graphics in general-> spells for instance, are horrid. They are reused and crappily done, some of them don't even have a graphic.

TLDR; BAD: Combat, class system, loading screen, story, dialogue, companions, graphics, bugs, marketing, and world in general.

:lol:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.co...es-pillars-of-eternity-have-such-high-reviews

The fan creations are bs. Don't look at the tombstones, don't ever hit the "reach out for the soul" option. I assure you these fan creations which serve as ghosts whom tell you their life stories which have virtually no impact on the game have nothing worthwhile to say whatsoever.

The devs caved into an SJW on twitter and sucked the dick of a transgender man-woman and removed a pathetically non-offensive limerick from the game.

Funny enough, one of the GHOSTS that ONLY I CAN INTERACT WITH caught me stealing from a persons house and somehow reported me. Getting mad I decided to kill the ghost, which my companions somehow knew was there, and after killing it it dropped loot and the rest of the village became hostile to me because I killed a ghost no one could see.

The game itself has 10 companions, wheras the original Baldur's Gate (game it tries to succeed) has 30.

Their excuses for joining you, risking their life for you, and doing chores around your keep are: It seems less boring than waiting around. Whoever wrote dialogue for the Paladin was so awful I cringed at almost every line of dialogue.

More than that, most dialogue in the game is a boring letdown. Can writers just understand quality doesn't equal quantity? Good writers write pages and pages describing every detail, then when they review it they condense the material so that it has the maximum effect. It's called efficient writing, and this is something PoE doesn't have. It has redundant, boring writing the average college professor would give a C- for.

Grieving mother has some of the most boring dialogue in the history of the fucking world. And not only that, she tests you. If you don't pay attention you have to go through it again if you want to pass her crappy questline.

It's riddled with game breaking bugs. The characters don't even try to connect with you on a personal level. The monsters only sometimes give experience points. The mages have almost only useless spells and cc that lasts about 2-4 seconds.

The combat is so awful, you pretty much only lose if you can't micromanage every decision besides autoattacking, and the backline that does damage on your team is just sitting ducks if your tanks can't peel the ever increasing number of enemies off.

The loading screens (Loading screens of Eternity) are the equivalent of seeing a man made of obsidian rock reach his hand out of your pc to grab your neck and crush your soul.

The "incentives" to buy the delux edition or the "royal" edition 60->80$ are cheap ass digital wallpapers and soundtrack stuff that I was lucky enough not to be suckered into.

The graphics in general-> spells for instance, are horrid. They are reused and crappily done, some of them don't even have a graphic.

TLDR; BAD: Combat, class system, loading screen, story, dialogue, companions, graphics, bugs, marketing, and world in general.

Hilariously true maybe:smug:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Being a roxxorite grognard even I have to admit this review isn't totally accurate - it makes up for the inaccuracies with hilarity though, still laughing my ass off.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, the main thing that got me laughing was that someone coming from LOL is able to identify where the game is weak and is actually baffled at how come it has such high scores in reviews. Something beyond the capabilities of PoE apologists on the esteemed RPG discussion community... oh well. ;)

It has redundant, boring writing the average college professor would give a C- for.
GOD, YES!

Even though the guy's English writing has problems, his reading comprehension is good enough.

It's riddled with game breaking bugs. [...] The monsters only sometimes give experience points.
:lol: I knew this would happen to someone.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
LoL is fucking terrible, but it has better combat than Pillars of Eternity, so I'm not so surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom