Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing KotOR for the first time, does it get better?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Et tu, Sceptic?

For someone who has played range of games over a longer period than I have been alive, I can't believe you'd defend KotOR 2. A game with a terrible, sluggish System Shock wannabe opening. A game with pathologically depressed characters who cry on your shoulders all the time (even Mandalore Canderous Ordo!). A faux-open-ended game with funnel points in every area, such that most or all incomplete side quests shut down in each area once you've done the main quest in that area? A game with terrible pathing problems with AI running into turrets to kill itself? A game with a pointless Influence System, which rewards with more shoulder-crying from depressed NPCs and a lightsaber in their hand? All in the name of BioWare-Bad-Obsidian-Good?

Et tu, Sceptic?

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
KOTOR 1 I actually didn't get into until my younger brother got to the *SPOILER* you are Darth Revan part /SPOILER/.

Afterword I got interested. I probably beat the thing at least twice and started games on it many times, but I still consider it one of my best-loved games despite having trouble playing it recently.

It's biggest sin I felt was the vibroblade making blasters seem pointless, or at least a lot less satisfying to use as you watch many of your lasers fly completely off target. Vibroblades feel like the trash that was added through the "Expanded Universe" (the Emperor being cloned) and prequels (C-3P0 being built by Darth Vader, R2-D2 booster jets, rapid fire blasters, etc..).

Number two I have only managed to play through once and start a few less times than the first. The more I played the more horrendous bugs I encountered. Also, Obsidian added more to the game, but "improved" is not what I would call this (hated that they added all these items able to enhance your Force abilities, as that makes the whole mythology seem more plastic than midichlorians). The story was indeed more complex, but felt much harder to relate to. I have not once read anything that makes that whole "you are the DEATH of the Force" main plotline make any sense (not to even mention Obsidian's own notes on Darth Nihilus actually being a part of your character let behind on Malacor IV, but they didn't manage to get this into the game.

Anyways, my main point is KOTOR 1 is much easier to enjoy although still slow and with flaws.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
racofer said:
It works for FO3/NV, why shouldn't it work for KotOR as well?
Better quest design, which The Sith Lords did not have.

mountain hare

Scholar
KOTOR 1 = Mediocre and easily forgettable

KOTOR 2 = Same lousy gameplay as KOTOR 1, and significantly less polished. However, the game takes some risks with its plot and character development that make it far more memorable. I'd take an unpolished diamond over a gleaming cubic zirconia any day.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mountain hare said:
However, the game takes some risks with its plot and character development that make it far more memorable.

I agree with this assessment. Atrociously shitty plot and characters are indeed more memorable and risky. :smug:

Deleted Member 10432

Mastermind said:
Djadjamankh said:
Mastermind said:
Djadjamankh said:
I am pleased that this does not seem to be the case with your current entourage.

He actually says that... with Atton in the game... :lol: :retarded:
Yes. Possibly it's an incredibly stupid oversight, possibly Avellone is the one American with enough of a glimmer of intellect - however slim - to recognise and be able to deploy irony.

Irony is most often deployed unintentionally.
herpderp det- oh, nvm, it's Mindermast. Herpderp is herpderp.

Wyrmlord said:
Et tu, Sceptic?

For someone who has played range of games over a longer period than I have been alive, I can't believe you'd defend KotOR 2. A game with a terrible, sluggish System Shock wannabe opening. A game with pathologically depressed characters who cry on your shoulders all the time (even Mandalore Canderous Ordo!). A faux-open-ended game with funnel points in every area, such that most or all incomplete side quests shut down in each area once you've done the main quest in that area? A game with terrible pathing problems with AI running into turrets to kill itself? A game with a pointless Influence System, which rewards with more shoulder-crying from depressed NPCs and a lightsaber in their hand? All in the name of BioWare-Bad-Obsidian-Good?

Et tu, Sceptic?
It would help your crushingly boring rhetoric enormously if you had bothered to learn more than one Latin cliché.

relootz

Scholar
Jaesun said:
KotOR: Fucking Shit

KotOR II: Pure Awesome.

The End.

One can never forget the pure awesome gamebreaking bugs and crashes and zounds of unfinished quests and an ending that should have been added as DLC.

KOTOR 2 A truly masterful game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
relootz said:
One can never forget the pure awesome gamebreaking bugs and crashes and zounds of unfinished quests and an ending that should have been added as DLC.

KOTOR 2 A truly masterful game.
Bugs and crashes that only affected a few lucky chosen ones and unfinished quests that aren't noticeable in-game because they weren't implemented at all. And KOTOR2's ending is fine.

Jaesun said:
KotOR: Fucking Shit

KotOR II: Pure Awesome.

The End.
:bro:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wyrmlord said:
Et tu, Sceptic?

8785.jpg

Et tu, Sceptic?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I love having to Tab and spam queuing Master Flurries because once I stop, the AI decides to use normal attacks.

visions

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Et tu, Sceptic?

For someone who has played range of games over a longer period than I have been alive, I can't believe you'd defend KotOR 2.

Et tu, Sceptic?

Older people tend to be less tryhard.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
well bro you will have to consider whether that will make the fights more interesting or just make your party build process mildly exciting

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well part of the reason fights weren't interesting was because you could steamroll everything. Even after I modded npc health and damage and shit.

You're right, though, it'd be better to find something that improves the combat mechanics themselves.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
relootz said:
I'm aware newer hardware can cause different results, but I didn't get any gamebreaking bugs except for nonworking swoop races (I just didn't do them), it crashed about as frequently as its predecessor, the only quest I couldn't finish was against the escaped criminals on the planet who never spawned, and after reading what the original ending and HK Factory are like I'm glad they were cut (more body hopping, thanks a million Avellone). They should have cut the G0-T0/remote cutscene though since they never actually show its resolution.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mangoose said:
I love having to Tab and spam queuing Master Flurries because once I stop, the AI decides to use normal attacks.

Yeah, this was great in the game, as long as you micro-manage the fuck out of the npcs and yourself, everything's fine, as soon as you've stopped, woo, autoattacks and retarded specials.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wyrmlord said:
For someone who has played range of games over a longer period than I have been alive, I can't believe you'd defend KotOR 2.
Well you've probably noticed I have a rather eclectic taste in games. I play a lot of games in a genre I generally don't like (FPS), I absolutely, irredeemably suck at the genre that I think is the pinnacle of computer gaming (wargames), and I generally manage to enjoy some games even when I can honestly say they're really not that good. But the main point is that, if a game does something well, so well that this one thing distracts me from the flaws, that game tends to get fondly remembered. I don't really want to compare Arcanum and KOTOR 2 for obvious reasons, but the fact is that if I had to factor the minutes I was raging at Arcanum vs the minutes I was enjoying my playing experience, the former are very likely to outmatch the latter. Yet Arcanum ranks as one of my favorites. So yeah, despite KOTOR 2 being very similar to KOTOR on a gameplay level, the little improvements are there. And I admit that I dislike Star Wars, so playing a SW game made by someone who obviously dislikes many of the same elements I do was quite refreshing.

One of these days I'll finish it with RSLRCM.

Zomg

Arbiter
Ruprekt said:
What was the point in deconstructing star wars in a game series whose only saving grace was being star wars?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom