Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing KotOR for the first time, does it get better?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
KOTOR series is alright. both games are vastly overrated.

Captain Shrek

Volourn said:
KOTOR series is alright. both games are vastly overrated.

Overrated with respect to what? NWN? BG? Dragon age? Mass effect?

Sith Holocron

Novice
Storyfag said:
Wha? You can kill the fucker? How? The little shit always escapes me on the final planet...

Jdnoa created a mod that allows you to kill Carth on the Star Forge if you successfully romanced him before you reached the Unknown Planet. Though the site where the mod was available is long gone, you can see what happened if you used the mod on this YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INW76J9AoA

TripJack said:
no not really and the fish planet is probably the worst of the 4 as i recall, you have to do some shit with some court trial that really doesn't matter and then you run around really slowly underwater for awhile to do some shit and make some goodie two shoes choice or make the ultimate evil doer choice

but if you play for a little longer you get the chance to murder carth and most (not all) of the other shit characters so that's a plus i guess
you know what really pissed me off? if you make the ultimate evil doer choice you're cut out from the further assassination missions. and those were the only reason i tried a second playthrough.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Tasted some space mentos lately?

fresh goes better

nBgMn.png

TripJack

Hedonist
Storyfag said:
TripJack said:
but if you play for a little longer you get the chance to murder carth and most (not all) of the other shit characters so that's a plus i guess

Wha? You can kill the fucker? How? The little shit always escapes me on the final planet...

oh that's right i forget that he runs away crying like a little bitch, that's even better than killing him honestly

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
TripJack said:
i forget that he runs away crying like a little bitch, that's even better than killing him honestly

these so called best roleplaying games always have a 'convince the boss to give up and go away' speech option

I ask you, where is the 'make boss cry and run away' speech option

I have a dream that one day this genre will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed

Arikel

Novice
I kinda liked hk47, you need a fairly high repair skill to get into his backstory though, if I remember right. He's nice to have around as he tends to approve of killing and smashing things, like shale in DA. As to whether it's a great rpg, I'd tend to rate it as average-ish. Like every bioware game it squandered any really fun combat on realtime crap, and melee is super overpowered, there is some choice, but it is the cartoonish ultrabad and superhero type stuff, no shades of grey. The best part is the setting, so if you aren't into starwars then it's probably not for you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Knights of the Old Republic is the RPG of choice for 2 out of 3 edgy 2007 Codexers. A good game to spend some time on, especially when you need some "romantic" story. Wonderful, wonderful characters and story. Pretty graphics, great writing, excellent voiceacting, amazing storytelling. Polish that makes the product actually professional.

Also KOTOR2 is a worse game because Peragus and the body-hopping single-character shit on Nar Shaddaa are far, far worse than anything in the first (and I may have some more complaints once I actually finish). Otherwise combat is just as brainless and quest design is just as linear. All it has going for it is writing. Oh yeah and anyone who says it's a great game just because it has better writing is a fucking moron.

TNO

Augur
I, like the two previous commenters who made "seven times" references, would like to summon skyway for his opinion.

Manaan is meh, from what I remember. As you've soldiered through half the game, you might as well complete it though. Take the evil option. I'm surprised OP likes Jolee for all his hackneyed 'wise cantankerous old man' BS, but it's pretty damn slim pickings for KOTOR1 anyway.

KOTOR2: Combat is banal, and if anything easier (I'm pretty sure you could get through the game on normal by just autoattack). Quest design remains fairly linear (although there are occasional neat tricks with betrayal etc.) However, the writing and characters are zillions of times better (indeed, the portrayal of Revan in KOTOR2 is far better than KOTOR1). It's like KOTORs illegitimate offspring by the nameless one.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
No, not really.

In fact, unless you intentionally sabotage your character, the combat gets worse as you go on. I always found it funny when... a certain dark-sided-lady-who-shall-remain-nameless gets defeated in quite literally less than 5 seconds. She then mocks you, attacks again, and is once more dropped like a bag of hammers into a neutron star. Then she does it again! You will be lucky if she lands a hit on you. This is the penultimate encounter of the game, and, to be honest, you aren't missing much after that.

As far as the writing is concerned... it remains relatively flat and underwhelming--until you reach last level at which point a noticeable decline occurs. In a moment of true evil, Malak even delivers a soliloquy ending in evil laughter, just to show you how evil he is. He even talks to the audience about his future betrayal of someone while they are still in the room, but don't worry: they can't hear.

I would continue playing though, so that you can form your own opinion.

Lightknight

Liturgist
The first one is more for fans of Star Wars than anything.
Not for fans, for fanboys. Fanboys will eat anything, fans are disgusted with omnipresent edged weaponry instead of blasters, and utter worthlessness of lightsabers.

This is the penultimate encounter of the game, and, to be honest, you aren't missing much after that.
Unless, like me, you chose the mage jedi class, in which case there really isnt much after that, as the final boss is nearly impossible to defeat. By my calculations even with fully leveled warrior jedi with best gear, your attacks will miss him in 60% of times. What chance do you have with a mage is a stupid question.

J1M

Arcane
Pazzak, the water planet, HK47, and the Mandalorian are the best KOTOR has to offer. If you don't enjoy them than there is no reason to continue.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
J1M said:
Pazzak, the water planet, HK47, and the Mandalorian are the best KOTOR has to offer. If you don't enjoy them than there is no reason to continue.

Personally, Pazzak was one of my least favourite parts of the game: I am certain that the computer was flagrantly cheating. Not only did the NPCs ALWAYS draw second, guaranteeing them a large advantage, but, also, they managed to draw twenties an obscene amount of times--without even using their hand. If you want to make any respectable amount of credits playing Pazzak, you are essentially forced into abusing the save system.

Sacculina

Educated
TNO said:
I'm surprised OP likes Jolee for all his hackneyed 'wise cantankerous old man' BS, but it's pretty damn slim pickings for KOTOR1 anyway.

Jolee is the only jedi in the game I can stand to talk to. The others pepper their speeches with the F-word. Canderous is okay, but HK-47 is a disappointment. See, I played KotOR2 about four years ago, and the little droid has more personality than most of these idiots.

I'm not a Star Wars fan either; it's not my cup of SF. Manaan, for instance. It's an ocean planet. The whole planet is covered in water. Then why are the selkath amphibious?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO INSTEAD OF ASKING SKYWAY ASK YOUR DOG IT WILL KNOW MORE ABOUT RPGS

hakuroshi

Augur
Dark path in the ending was amusing but hardly worth enduring the game you don't like.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Just drop this piece of shit and play Jedi Knight games instead if you want something actually fun rather than dumbed down faux-aRPeeGees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom