Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playing KotOR for the first time, does it get better?

Sacculina

Educated
anus_pounder said:
Didn't HK47 make fun of Carth and Bastilla in KotOR2 ?

"My master had quite the collection of tortured individuals that seemed unable to confront their basic personality conflicts. Let me cite some specific examples. Mockery: [In Carth's voice] 'Oh, master, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you or anyone ever again!' Mockery: [In Bastila's voice] 'Oh, master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for, but I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!' [Returning to his own voice] Such pheromone-driven human responses never cease to decrease the charge in my capacitors and make me wish I could press a blaster pistol to my behavior core and pull the trigger."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9LgUXdxkE0
:mca:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
It's certainly understandable that people like KOTOR2 better than its predecessor, but the games have too much in common to declare that the first one was shit and the second one brilliant.

I did like how they tried to make something out of all the different "gamey" things in KOTOR2. For instance, the influence thing, combined with the story aspect of the PC forming intense bonds with everyone that travelled with them. They basically tried to offer an explanation of why exactly the other party members would help you slaughter innocents if you initiated a fight with them, and in all kinds of choice situations, you didn't just have to consider whether it would make you more light or dark, but also how party members would respond to your choices. This would determine how many conversation options you'd get with them. It was pretty unlikely to get all the characters' dialogues and backstories in one playthrough.

It also determined your ability to train certain party members as (Dark) Jedi. I'm pretty sure it's not very usual in the Star Wars universe for anyone to be able to train force-sensitive adults into fully-fledged Jedi, but departing from silly conventions like that and giving the player the opportunity was the right choice to make. Of course they gave some dumb Force-related explanation for that, but nobody takes that seriously anyway. Whereas in the first game, they exerted just a bit too much effort to make it into a Star Wars game: it had to include Tatooine, wookiees, Jedi training, redemption of evil characters, etc., just to mirror the films. Although for both games, the best decision was to set it 3 millennia before that.

Combat in both games was hardly worth mentioning, but in the first game, you could breeze through every problem easily by mashing the "Flurry" button. KOTOR2 did at least have some enemies that could actually hurt you at times.

DemonKing

Arcane
I actually quite enjoyed the original KotOR (particulary taking the Dark Side path) - it's only with the passing of years that you realise it was the unwavering template for every Bio game since that you begin to get annoyed with it.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe it helps make KOTOR1 more tolerable when you've never been spoiled by Bioware's subsequent output. Would it be fair to say that those later games took all the worse aspects of KOTOR? I honestly have no idea and I don't intend to find out.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Bruticis said:
You're playing the wrong one, skip to 2.

Definitely, I had much more fun playing 2 without having played the first one. Anyway, I have finished 1 after 2 and the only thing it did, it made kotor 2 less enjoyable...

J1M

Arcane
Storyfag said:
Wyrmlord said:
As for KotOR itself: David Gaider, who wrote HK-47 and a few other situations/characters, was surprised by the excessive praise given to his narrative contribution to the game by critics. He didn't even think HK-47, his own creation, was funny.

*That* would explain why HK is a cool character despite having been written by that hack!
Well according to something else he said, HK47 was written very quickly. Essentially in an afternoon.

Deleted Member 10432

anus_pounder said:
Didn't HK47 make fun of Carth and Bastilla in KotOR2 ?
Yes.

HK47 said:
My master had quite the collection of tortured individuals that seemed unable to confront their basic personality conflicts. Let me cite some specific examples.

Mockery: 'Oh, master, I do not trust you! I cannot trust you or anyone ever again!'

Mockery: 'Oh, master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for, but I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!'

Such pheromone-driven human responses never cease to decrease the charge in my capacitors and make me wish I could press a blaster pistol to my behavior core and pull the trigger. I am pleased that this does not seem to be the case with your current entourage.

Relay

Educated
I don't understand Kreia's cult following (which is the primary reason why people praise KOTOR2 so much), Kreia is the textbook antagonist : [something] (in Kreia's case, the force) felt messed up in my life, I feel butthurt about this [thing] and thus will engage in a crusade to eliminate it, no matter what the cost. How is that not evil ? Most actually evil people will pretend they're doing things in the name of the greater good. The only people who will actually do things "in the name of evil" would usually end up in an insane asylum. Kreia is like the Fallout's master, or BG2's Irenicus. Not bad, but certainly not worthy of so much praise. I could even compare Kreia to DA2's Meredith prior to her being under the influence of the idol.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Relay said:
I don't understand Kreia's cult following (which is the primary reason why people praise KOTOR2 so much), Kreia is the textbook antagonist : [something] (in Kreia's case, the force) felt messed up in my life, I feel butthurt about this [thing] and thus will engage in a crusade to eliminate it, no matter what the cost. How is that not evil ? Most actually evil people will pretend they're doing things in the name of the greater good. The only people who will actually do things "in the name of evil" would usually end up in an insane asylum. Kreia is like the Fallout's master, or BG2's Irenicus. Not bad, but certainly not worthy of so much praise. I could even compare Kreia to DA2's Meredith prior to her being under the influence of the idol.
:mca:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Relay said:
The difference is that Kreia has a lot more to say, especially when it comes to important stuff, than the last two and had a legitimate beef with predestination.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Djadjamankh said:
I am pleased that this does not seem to be the case with your current entourage.

He actually says that... with Atton in the game... :lol: :retarded:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Vaarna_Aarne said:
The difference is that Kreia has a lot more to say, especially when it comes to important stuff, than the last two

"More to say" isn't a good thing when what you're saying is stupid shit.

and had a legitimate beef with predestination.

And I have a legitimate beef with gravity. Can I be worshipped like Fagellone too?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mastermind said:
And I have a legitimate beef with gravity. Can I be worshipped like Fagellone too?
If you can write as well as him, sure.

:smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mastermind said:
and had a legitimate beef with predestination.

Well, there's more than a subtle difference between life without gravity and life without The Force...

Deleted Member 10432

Mastermind said:
Djadjamankh said:
I am pleased that this does not seem to be the case with your current entourage.

Yes. Possibly it's an incredibly stupid oversight, possibly Avellone is the one American with enough of a glimmer of intellect - however slim - to recognise and be able to deploy irony.

Stinger

Arcane
Ummm can't the Exile call HK47 out on this and say that her "Entourage" really is that messed up?

EDIT: Yes, yes you can. Click on Abnaxus's vid and go to 3:09. One dialogue option is "Maybe you should turn your photoreceptors up a little more and pay more attention" - Avellone was parodying Kotor knowing full well he was doing something similar. An "affectionate" parody if you will.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Djadjamankh said:
Mastermind said:
Djadjamankh said:

Yes. Possibly it's an incredibly stupid oversight, possibly Avellone is the one American with enough of a glimmer of intellect - however slim - to recognise and be able to deploy irony.

Irony is most often deployed unintentionally.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
^ an example of an absurd opinion since they're pretty much the same only one has slightly better themes and a lot of annoying body-hopping bullshit to get through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom