Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I contact them and ask. Most of the time I get ignored, but sometimes I find an employee that's willing to talk with me.

PrettyDeadman

This sounds extremely fake...

I'm just relaying what I was told by one of the developers via email.
Something about this doesn't sound right based of my experience with russian corporate culture and psychological profile I've made based on one of the writer's steam profiles link to which was posted here earlirt.
It just sounds extremely unrealistic, like a semi-believable story made up by a person with only a passing familiarity (if any) with russian corporate culture. This sounds like something that might've happened in a canadian game developing company, but not in a russian one.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It just sounds extremely unrealistic, like a semi-believable story made up by a person with only a passing familiarity (if any) with russian corporate culture. This sounds like something that might've happened in a canadian game developing company, but not in a russian one.

I don't know the first thing about Russian corporate culture, but this isn't a difficult story for me to believe. Making people believe Chris Avellone is the lead writer is easy backer money.

really. but why? :lol:

Why not? I enjoy digging up information on developers and games I'm following.

Shadenuat

Arcane
tenor.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've introduced friends to the infinity engine games and they all disliked them (except one, but he still ended up quitting). They enjoyed other older games, but not the Infinity Engine games.

I'm firmly convinced the infinity engine games...

• Were always overrated

• Even moreso today

• The only people who still get massive enjoyment out of them are nolstalgia fags

If you want to prove me wrong, find a modern gamer to stick one of them out for at least 20 hours. I bet they can't do it.
Thousands of hours of VODs from twitch and youtube make your stupid statement just that.. stupid.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This explains a lot.
What's it explain?
I'd prefer clear, intelligible combat over flashy graphics, all day long. Who cares how good it looks if it sucks to play?
Sure. Does that mean complaints regarding the games graphics are invalid?

People really will go out of their way to defend shit for no fucking reason. Game could be great, wouldn't make the graphics any less shit. With these recent revelations regarding the games writing however? I doubt it.
It explains why you complain about graphics. We understand millennials cannot help themselves.
Go play ToEE and Knights of the Chalice, graphics are always less important than gameplay for a true RPG gamer (unless they are weeaboo shit) .

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go play ToEE and Knights of the Chalice, graphics are always less important than gameplay for a true RPG gamer (unless they are weeaboo shit) .
ToEE has fine graphics for what it is. I care about the art style of a game, not the graphics perse. The art in Pathfinder is just gross.

Thonius

Arcane
Amazing graphics are overrated. I'd take Soulbringer's (google it, newfags) graphics over the newest AAA garbage graphics because low poly count adds to the aesthetic.

I don't have an attention span for most games because I have a life. What's the fucking point of slogging through hours of shit content when I have a job, school, workout schedule, and a social life to maintain? Especially when I can play a game that's good right off the bat.

I have the same things, but I'm also a musician who plays two instruments and am a PhD candidate, yet Fallout can keep my attention. You also post on the Codex.
Well, it's not about polycount...or shaders, or FX. There is a word for it - artdirection. This game (Pathfinder) got it. All assets look good with same lvl of details, all made in same style. Clear, easy to read, serviceable.
The only thing that is wrong with it in this game is that it somewhat reeks of WoW and mobile games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
ToEE has fine graphics for what it is. I care about the art style of a game, not the graphics perse. The art in Pathfinder is just gross.
Compared to IE games or POE it is not even close. Same games you compared Pathfinder with.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Compared to IE games or POE it is not even close. Same games you compared Pathfinder with.
I agree, it isn't close. But again, I don't care so much about graphical fidelity, but more so about whether or not the graphics take away from the game or add to it. The graphics in ToEE are good enough that I can see myself trying the game and enjoying it for the combat. The graphics in Pathfinder are bad enough that I don't want to try the game until I know for sure that it's good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
New page, finally. I have a leak about drama inside Owlcats related to the lead narrative designer. It's all based on an anonymous source.

The lead narrative designer of Pathfinder: Kingmaker is upset because he wasn't recognized for his position during the kickstarter campaign and marketing. He believes the company is trying to mislead people into believing Chris Avellone is the head writer to boost sales. They refused to put his bio on the Owlcats website with the rest of the lead developers, mislead journalists to believe that Chris Avellone was the lead writer, and the studio head even told him not to advertise that he was the lead narrative designer onl;ine.

The issue has caused a lot of tension and resentment between him and the management.
Hey dipshit,at least have the decency to tag the guy your are talking shit about! Chris Avellone
Here is a nice place to put your great news/drama:click

PS:Now i am 100% sure that you are a retarded Obsidian Dev. Can we have some mod give him the Dev tag,Infinitron ?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
"Owlcat Games is formed by people who still remember how it was to make your game runs on 32 Mb RAM."
32 Megabytes? I suppose 20 years from now, there will be a game development studio touting that they'll take us back to the halcyon days when games ran on 32 Gigabytes of RAM. :negative:
512 KB is all we need anyway.

bDOJG2e.jpg

Or 1 MB for Dungeon Master and other more intensive games.

:dealwithit:

Mortmal

Arcane
1mega and you had great things indeed, but thats not oldschool enough . With the limited C64 64KO you had great stuff like pool of radiance, wastelands , even ultima up to 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom