Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian working on a new mysterious game

grotsnik

Arcane
Roguey said:
Defiance also sounds totally unappealing (another Tolkienesque fantasy... WITH EDGE!!!!).

Hopefully the Tolkein bit was just an obvious analogy for pitch-meetings. A La Resistance fantasy-plot, all about internalised conflicts and the difficulties of relationship between invader and invaded...well, in the right hands, you'd like to thnk that'd move in completely the anti-Tolkein direction.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
grotsnik said:
Roguey said:
Defiance also sounds totally unappealing (another Tolkienesque fantasy... WITH EDGE!!!!).

Hopefully the Tolkein bit was just an obvious analogy for pitch-meetings. A La Resistance fantasy-plot, all about internalised conflicts and the difficulties of relationship between invader and invaded...well, in the right hands, you'd like to thnk that'd move in completely the anti-Tolkein direction.

They pitched it to Square who doesn't have the rights to LOTR. So, I'd guess they would create a new world for it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ruprekt said:
If the Nazis had won WW2 we'd have real fantasy not this fucking english pastiche.

And we wouldn't need RPGs anyway. There'd be 4000 miles of eastern frontier where a man could live real adventure.
I guess the surviving Russians hiding in the wilderness would make for fine foul orcs.

grotsnik said:
Roguey said:

That would be cool.

Project: Eternity
Roguey said:
We have a great idea for a new world we've just started pitching to publishers and we have an older pitch that we really like called "Defiance" which is about a fantasy world where, basically, Sauron won.
511GEZMsjNL._SS500_.jpg

"Brandon Sanderson, fantasy’s newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge?"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
IronicNeurotic said:
Also Feargus wants to do a new Ultima entry if possible.

Since EA owns the rights, that will never happen. Bioware could....

What could possibly go wrong...?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Also Feargus wants to do a new Ultima entry if possible.

Since EA owns the rights, that will never happen. Bioware could....

What could possibly go wrong...?

Feargus was visiting EA last year. And the WOT game runs under them too.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Feargus is hyping

NEW RPG FROM OBSIDIAN
A new RPG from Fallout: New Vegas developer Obsidian Entertainment will be announced in the coming months, possibly at the E3 entertainment expo in June. We caught up with CEO Feargus Urquhart to talk about Obsidian's latest project, Dungeon Siege III, and he also dropped a few hints about the unannounced new game. He says it'll take the RPG genre to awesome new levels, and that everyone who's seen early footage has been very impressed. We'll keep you up to date with the latest details on the mysterious new game. In the meantime, Dungeon Siege III will hit the PS3, 360 and PC on May 31st.

If thats true its as good as cancelled

:smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is interesting. I don't remember Obisidan devs ever hyped their games as "bringing the genre to a new level", they probably knew that they are not that good. Hypeing is reserved for Bioware anyway. I'm curious what are they up to.

tehRPness

Educated
J_C said:
This is interesting. I don't remember Obisidan devs ever hyped their games as "bringing the genre to a new level", they probably knew that they are not that good. Hypeing is reserved for Bioware anyway. I'm curious what are they up to.
Sad, but true :x

Andhaira

Arcane
It could be the wheel of time game.

Doubt it though, as it has already been 'revealed'.

Maybe it's a new Lands of Lore game?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
Apparently, Obsidian has 2 unannounced titles in development. Once is a downloadable-only Original IP title with Josh Sawyer at the helm, another one using a license (WoT? Kotor3? BG3?)

No, Virginia (which is most likely the XBLA title) has been in development since 2010 and it is lead by one of the Obsidian art guys.

Its more like three titles.

Currently they have like 4-5 Project Leads at disposal and to support.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Morgoth said:
Obsidian has only 110-120 people, I don't think they can handle 4-5 projects, unless Über-Menschen are working there.

They share strongly between projects.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Between KOTOR3 and BG3, I'd take neither. KOTOR3 b/c that is BIO/OBS' most overrated series and BG3 because that's BIO's baby and it would be using 4E. No thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom