Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian working on a new mysterious game

Exmit

Scholar
Fuck, i'm banned again on making new threads WTF mods ? my threads are good :M

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freelance Henchman said:
Hell, I'd totally buy that. Avellone deconstructing the silly Reapers would be FFFUUUUYYYYEAAAAHHH

Anything Avellone wold come up with would end up being magnified bioware shittiness. Just like kotor1 vs kotor2.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mastermind said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Hell, I'd totally buy that. Avellone deconstructing the silly Reapers would be FFFUUUUYYYYEAAAAHHH

Anything Avellone wold come up with would end up being magnified bioware shittiness. Just like kotor1 vs kotor2.
We all know how much you love MCA's work. You don't have to prove it all the time.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stop quoting mastermind, it ruins my ignore.

m_s0

Arcane
Angthoron said:
Could just be a New Vegas DLC, don't get worked up just yet.
They wouldn't bother keeping it secret and giving it a code name.

Seeing that Obsidian is a mainstream developer and knowing what mainstream rpgs have to look like in order for them to sell, I have no hopes for this one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Necro'ing. I think I probably jumped the gun a bit too soon with the Facebook MMO thing and I'm sorry. New interview:
GR: Do you see another sequel, licensed game, or an original title coming out of Obsidian after DS3?

FU: There's nothing that's been moved forward, but we'd love to develop Dungeon Siege 4. On the flip side I think as a studio we have some original ideas and stories to tell. We have a great idea for a new world we've just started pitching to publishers and we have an older pitch that we really like called "Defiance" which is about a fantasy world where, basically, Sauron won. Everything isn't happy in The Shire, they didn't get the ring in the fire and the hobbits are all dead. We think that's a cool pitch and we hope to have a publisher pick that up at some point.

We're also working on an original IP XBLA game. so that hopefully will be out first quarter next year.

GR: I deal with so many of those, so I love seeing bigger developers explore that space.

FU: It'll be an action RPG that's focused on fun, not Dungeon Siege, it's quite a bit different in a different genre with a different camera.

We also might throw our hat in the whole free-to-play thing. In the game industry there's a lot of different opportunities for all different kinds of products.

GR: It's great that you can take an IP that's not original but you can do something completely different and fresh and new.

FU: There actually is another game that I can't talk about at all.

GR: Are you sure?

FU: No, I'll get killed, but it's a licensed product but it's a licensed product that when people hear about it they're going to be "well you had to do that. there's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that I would just do it."

I'm hoping that'll be announced around E3.
Xbox Live Arcade Action-RPG, oh yes, that's so much better. Defiance also sounds totally unappealing (another Tolkienesque fantasy... WITH EDGE!!!!).

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Roguey said:
Defiance also sounds totally unappealing (another Tolkienesque fantasy... WITH EDGE!!!!).

No, it suggest a pretty unused scenario in games.Its actually pretty interesting.

:thumbsup:

Also Obsidian writers are good enough to portray the politcal and economical reprucassions of such a scenario.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am just really upset about Tolkien's omnipresent influence in fantasy RPGs. Fuck him, fuck him to death.

Ruprekt

Scholar
If the Nazis had won WW2 we'd have real fantasy not this fucking english pastiche.

And we wouldn't need RPGs anyway. There'd be 4000 miles of eastern frontier where a man could live real adventure.

Rogue

Educated
As fascinating as this is, I for one don't care. I'm replaying a bunch of classics and am having a blast. Waiting for a good *new* RPG to pop up is pointless.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Obsidian making 20 games at once again? Probably the most promising ones will get canned again and we'll get Alpha(version) Brotocol 2. yay...

Arcanoix

Scholar
Exmit said:
Fuck, i'm banned again on making new threads WTF mods ? my threads are good :M

Stalker. :roll:

racofer said:
Obshitian will manage to make it suck more than usual. Fear not.

Just like your title is starting to wear off.

EDIT: Hahahaha all this suspense..... *whistles innocently* I think I'll get to 500 posts and just disappear. mwahahaha...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Roguey said:
I am just really upset about Tolkien's omnipresent influence in fantasy RPGs. Fuck him, fuck him to death.
Don't blame Tolkien, blame the devs who are not willing to come up with something original.

Actually a well written, well designed world where the evil had won, is quite interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom