Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Mojomancer

Novice

Quillon

Arcane
what if it is published by Microsoft as an XBONE and WIN 10 STORE exclusive?

:negative:

What if it becomes a development mess and the publisher cancels it? :negative:

Maybe Obsidian is the developer and Dark Rock aka DRIL is the publisher

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe Boyarsky earned too much moneh from Blizzard since 2006 and is acting as the publisher.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Source 2 isn't released yet.
It probably comes out with the Dota 2 card game.
Doubt it. Gaben said in August that releasing it isn't a priority, they're gonna keep working on a couple internal projects before it's ready for release.
If that is the case then it'll be interesting to see what game (if any) they release along with it.

HALF-LIFE CARD GAME?!

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That's a response to this comment:

Wait, they paid for you to come over, hear about a failed project and write about it?

Fair enough, but the fact that it was Paradox who was behind the studio tour invite suggests either it WAS a weird, backward way of getting media hype because Bastard's Wound was releasing or that Paradox is the publisher of whatever the still-unnanounced new title is.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Keep your eyes peeled for any Obsidian writers on LinkedIn who you know who aren't working on PoE2.

Chris L'Etoile, Senior Narrative Designer role, hired in May: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisletoile/

Did some major writing role in Mass Effect 1/2.

KEY SKILLS
• Strong writing, IP development, narrative design, and content design skills for single- and multi-player.
• Extensive experience writing dialogue for voiceover.

KEY CREDITS
RPG: Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2
CCG: Magic: the Gathering
MMORPG: The Elder Scrolls Online, Asheron’s Call
MOBA: Dawngate

Strong writing, IP development, worldbuilding, and quest design skills for single-player and multiplayer roleplaying games. Particular strength in non-linear (“choose your own adventure”) narrative and writing dialogue for voiceover.

Seventeen years in the games industry. Seven shipped titles: two console RPGs (Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2); one PC RPG (Dragon Age: Origins); one console DLC pack (Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky); two MMORPGs (Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2: Fallen Kings); one retail MMORPG expansion pack (Asheron’s Call: Dark Majesty). One MOBA (Dawngate) run in open beta for seventeen months.

Five years of single-player console roleplaying game design and writing experience, seven years of massively multiplayer online game design and writing experience, seventeen months of MOBA live team experience, eighteen months of MMORPG live team experience, and one year of CCG web story team experience.

Mojomancer

Novice

Wait, they paid for you to come over, hear about a failed project and write about it?

Fair enough, but the fact that it was Paradox who was behind the studio tour invite suggests either it WAS a weird, backward way of getting media hype because Bastard's Wound was releasing or that Paradox is the publisher of whatever the still-unnanounced new title is.
Seems a bit expensive to fly "journos" out to Cali from Europe and then pay for their accommodation in California just to promote an expansion for a side project game.

santino27

Arcane
Patron

Seems a bit expensive to fly "journos" out to Cali from Europe and then pay for their accommodation in California just to promote an expansion for a side project game.

Agreed, which is why I think it's more likely that paradox is publishing the unannounced project.

The big news there was that paradox was the ones who invited them out.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Flying number of journos half across the planet to promote an expansion to mildly popular niche isometric RPG?

:hmmm:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like Chris L'Etoile had some involvement in the ME3 ending fiasco. Specifically, he was one of the writers who left the series before ME3 and caused some minor drama by posting about how he would have done things differently.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For reference, his work at Bioware according to his Linkedin profile:

General Duties
• Developed and maintained the technical background of the Mass Effect IP. Served as go-to person for continuity and "technobabble" rationalization across multiple teams and titles.

Mass Effect 2
• Story planning and dialogue: party character Thane Krios
• Story planning and dialogue: party character Legion
• Story planning and dialogue: location Citadel Zakera Ward
• Dialogue: character EDI
• Led multidisciplinary teams designing the Recruitment and Loyalty mission levels for Thane Krios and Legion.
• Developed mission level concepts and wrote first draft dialogue for party members Miranda Lawson, Tali’Zorah vas Neema, and Jacob Taylor.

Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky (DLC)
• Dialogue: Simon Atwell
• PC Tutorial Codex entries

Mass Effect 1
• Story planning and dialogue: planet Noveria
• Story planning and dialogue: planet Therum
• Story planning and dialogue: planet Caleston (cut from final game; ~50k words of dialogue)
• Dialogue: Gunnery Chief Ashley Williams
• Wrote all in-game Codex entries.
• Rewrote procedural planet descriptions and edited Galaxy Map layout on personal initiative to improve quality and scientific accuracy.
• Produced lore-related marketing materials for BioWare's website and game news network sites.

Dragon Age: Origins
• Wrote the first draft of the Human Noble Origin.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
The big news there was that paradox was the ones who invited them out.

FYI we've known this since this media blitz started a week and a half ago

Then why are we spending pages debating who the publisher for the unannounced project is? I'd think Paradox footing the bill for this press blitz makes that pretty clear. :) (Unless, as mentioned, they want to throw money away on obliquely promoting the developer purely for the benefit of their DLC for Tyranny.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom