Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
When about did this new ue4 project enter development? I mean, after Fallout 4's release there was a very vocal choir of "we want Obsidian to make another fallout" so.. what if they're doing a Fallout New Vegas spiritual successor? The job descriptions point towards this being a multi-platform game which makes me think this thing is already signed to a publisher plus they're asking for team members with AAA experience so they must have a budget.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
When about did this new ue4 project enter development? I mean, after Fallout 4's release there was a very vocal choir of "we want Obsidian to make another fallout" so.. what if they're doing a Fallout New Vegas spiritual successor? The job descriptions point towards this being a multi-platform game which makes me think this thing is already signed to a publisher plus they're asking for team members with AAA experience so they must have a budget.

The Boyarsky/Cain project is an original IP, but there's s strong hint it's a post-apocalyptic action RPG.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up on that old canceled Troika Games pitch:

Got bored and left

The Boyarsky/Cain project is an original IP, but there's s strong hint it's a post-apocalyptic action RPG.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up on that old canceled Troika Games pitch:

Oh wow, I never heard anything about this. Any details on what that was supposed to be exactly/how far into development they were?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Oh wow, I never heard anything about this. Any details on what that was supposed to be exactly/how far into development they were?

It was in Troika's dreams going to end up being Fallout 3 but they didn't have the money to buy the IP.

Quillon

Arcane
And about general Obsidian topic:

Currently, however, Obsidian's hands are full, the 175-person studio occupied across four and a half projects: the Tyranny expansion, Pillars of Eternity 2, a small Pathfinder card game, a small idea the studio is "spinning up" and a considerable something else. And I'll tell you a bit more about that next week as well.

"A small idea"? Wonder if it is the urban fantasy thing Feargus has been said. And yeah, looks like some kind of announcement is coming up next week.

Sawyer would quit if another "small idea" gets greenlit before his FYSMD.

And "a bit more about" the secret project doesn't sound promising, he'll beat around the bush I guess, maybe the publisher gets revealed.

Flou

Arbiter

Boyarsky joined Obsidian around April 2016, so they've been working on that project since then. They most likely got fully staffed when Armored Warfare was stolen by Putin. So around december to february? The team is a bit bigger than Deadfire team (according to the Eurogamer tour video) so around 50-70 people would be my guess. Some of the staff members are working on all of their games as explained on the same office tour video.
Dunno if some of the staff from Tyranny transitioned to Indiana as well, since I haven't seen the credits for Bastard's Wound and I have no idea how big that DLC team is.

They have a publisher for it. I believe it was confirmed around Deadfire Fig campaign.

Flou

Arbiter
Sawyer would quit if another "small idea" gets greenlit before his FYSMD.

And "a bit more about" the secret project doesn't sound promising, he'll beat around the bush I guess, maybe the publisher gets revealed.

Don't think Sawyer is that petty. That "small idea" will probably turn out to be a bigger idea later on if they can find a publisher/funding for it and get some staff to work on it, while Sawyer's game will be a smaller project for the company even when fully staffed.

Unless Deadfire flops badly, I think Sawyer will start working on his pet project next.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
half life 2 was 40 million to make (not sure if this includes marketing) but this was in 2004.

extrapolate from that amount for AAA games made now. unlike movie making though the production costs haven't inflated that high, considering FNV and PoE (and Tyranny) were all made under 10 million.

Flou

Arbiter
BTW I believe Anthony Davis may be working on that small idea.

Yup, I remember him saying that he wasn't working on Indiana, Deadfire nor Tyranny. That leaves only Pathfinder which was already staffed when Anthony got freed from AW. So that pretty much leaves him working on one of the pitches they were doing at the time

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't been given a number but the estimates being floated in this thread seem like they should be accurate enough.

Latelistener

Arcane
I think it was said already that they found a publisher for this project.
My bet is on one of the European ones, like Focus or THQ Nordic.
At this point its either Pdx or Microsoft :D
An AAA console game made on UE4? Paradox is a bit out of this league.
And I don't think they'll be working with MS anytime soon.

Yeah, there's no way they were allowed to showcase Stormlands without greenlight from MS. So at least they've been talking.
Some contract obligations could've just expired. And maybe not even now, and like years ago, but right now is a perfect time for some good shilling.

Latelistener

Arcane
Anyone who has played MotB would've understood what does this mean.
Every time I think that modern gaming journalism reached an absolute bottom, it finds new ways to show me that it can go even deeper.

BZ3c.png

Last edited:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
An AAA console game made on UE4? Paradox is a bit out of this league.
Funding a blitz that culminates in an announcement from another publisher would be stranger. Seems more likely that Para/Obs are having a go at the mainstream, hopeful to capitalize on bio/bethfugees while mantaining grog cred through appeals to nostalgia and PoE. It's a risky gambit hence the need for the blitz in the first place, but if successful the rewards would be massive for both parties. The "publisher shuffle" Feargus has exploited to keep the lights on over the past decade may finally be unnecessary.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Paradox would have to be punching way above their weight to fund something like this. But at the same time it does make some business sense, both companies have a fanbase that borderlines on retarded fanboyism.

By the combined powers of the collective nerdgasm Captain Parabsidian will be born to shine the light of incline on us all.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They don't need to make an AAA rpg. It could be AA. They can still make an ambitious game without it having a huge budget.

Prime Junta

Engines have improved. You could make a pretty snazzy first/third-person mainstream title at less than an AAA budget, if you cut some expensive corners. Obsidiox popamole can't be ruled out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom