Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Sentinel

Arcane
Keep your eyes peeled for any Obsidian writers on LinkedIn who you know who aren't working on PoE2.
We know Megan Starks, Paul Kirsch, Carrie Patel and Josh Sawyer are working on Pillars of Eternity. Eric is also working on Edér as a freelance.
Who does that leave? Robert Land (Sirin, Tyranny), Boyarsky and Matt MacLean?

Olivia Veras?
IIRC Olivia Veras wasn't a writer (as in, that isn't her job at Obsidian), they just needed someone to write Kana Rua and she ended up getting the trial. Is she back to writing? Because Kana Rua was fucking awful and incredibly annoying.

Sentinel

Arcane
We know Megan Starks, Paul Kirsch, Carrie Patel and Josh Sawyer are working on Pillars of Eternity. Eric is also working on Edér as a freelance.
Who does that leave? Robert Land (Sirin, Tyranny), Boyarsky and Matt MacLean?

Robert Land doesn't work at Obsidian currently. He left a year ago and joined ArenaNet.
That's depressing. I thought his character in Tranny was easily the most interesting.

Sentinel

Arcane
Can it please, be a turn-based game.

It's multi-platform so I'm guessing it won't be, also considering how Feargus referenced FNV I think that's telling.
I meant the smaller project.
Cain/Boyarsky is probably first person or third person.

I'm not holding up hopes. FU isn't into turn-based games, as far as I know.
Wouldn't mind a D&D 5E turn-based dungeon crawler a la ToEE tbh.

Can it please, be a turn-based game.

It's multi-platform so I'm guessing it won't be, also considering how Feargus referenced FNV I think that's telling.
Didn't Boyarsky say something about how he wanted to have first person for exploring and then the camera would change to isometric for turn-based combat? Admittedly since they are being funded by a publisher and it's a triple-A project, I doubt anyone would sign up for that, but yeah it's a p interesting idea.

Flou

Arbiter
IIRC Olivia Veras wasn't a writer (as in, that isn't her job at Obsidian), they just needed someone to write Kana Rua and she ended up getting the trial. Is she back to writing? Because Kana Rua was fucking awful and incredibly annoying.

Yes, she is writing some for Deadfire. I'm too lazy to find my source for it, I have her listed as designer and writer on the Deadfire team over at Obsidian's forums.

Sentinel

Arcane

Yes, she is writing some for Deadfire. I'm too lazy to find my source for it, I have her listed as designer and writer on the Deadfire team over at Obsidian's forums.
I trust you friend.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

how many 'A's is something like this? AA? A?

btw, can anyone find out what song clip/track is playing in this demo video? or who composed this bit of music? I really like it.

i imagine it was probably done by the same guy who did their ToEE music since it reminds me of the space-y synths utilized in ToEE, but i'm too lazy to find out since we have people like Roguey who can do it faster

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Engines have improved. You could make a pretty snazzy first/third-person mainstream title at less than an AAA budget, if you cut some expensive corners. Obsidiox popamole can't be ruled out.

Mainstream game without a mainstream budget is a worst place to be. Those games just end up being underwhelming in every way, Risen, Elex, Mars:War Logs, at all. Not hardcore enough for us and not popamole enough for casuals, they end being forgotten by both sides.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
how many 'A's is something like this? AA? A?

I doubt a publisher would trust Troika with more than 10 million, so it would have ended up single A.

Mainstream game without a mainstream budget is a worst place to be. Those games just end up being underwhelming in every way, Risen, Elex, Mars:War Logs, at all. Not hardcore enough for us and not popamole enough for casuals, they end being forgotten by both sides.

Bloodlines remains an eternal exception. If you deliver the art direction and the writing, people will remember.

Latelistener

Arcane
An AAA console game made on UE4? Paradox is a bit out of this league.
Funding a blitz that culminates in an announcement from another publisher would be stranger. Seems more likely that Para/Obs are having a go at the mainstream, hopeful to capitalize on bio/bethfugees while mantaining grog cred through appeals to nostalgia and PoE. It's a risky gambit hence the need for the blitz in the first place, but if successful the rewards would be massive for both parties. The "publisher shuffle" Feargus has exploited to keep the lights on over the past decade may finally be unnecessary.
IIRC Feargus said something like "you will be surprised" when you'll learn who is the publisher, so I don't think it's Paradox.
Their recent shilling is for PoE2, and other future projects.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Engines have improved. You could make a pretty snazzy first/third-person mainstream title at less than an AAA budget, if you cut some expensive corners. Obsidiox popamole can't be ruled out.

I pray for you.
giphy.gif

Flou

Arbiter
IIRC Feargus said something like "you will be surprised" when you'll learn who is the publisher, so I don't think it's Paradox.

Well it would be quite surprising if Paradox was a publisher on a multi-platform AAA game. I would only rule out EA and Bethesda. EA because they have BioWare and they won't give up IP rights to a company and Bethesda because why would they fund an IP that could be a direct competitor against Fallout if they can't keep the IP for themselves.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm:

Mojomancer We don't really know anything about the game other than it's a new IP multiplatform action-RPG by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. Just wait for it to be announced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom