Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

baronjohn

Cipher
Well fuck. I've been playing NV in Linux+Wine and it works fine, except that my pc locks up completely every time after a minute or so going up to the black mountain, where I need to go for some stupid BoS mission. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So I've somehow spent 39 hours in the game already, and I still have some things to do (visit Great Khans, and I guess endgame). Pretty good experience. Not the best, but pretty good.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Shit, just realised I've been playing for a while on Very Easy without realising it. I know I slapped it on to deal with one or two parts where I'd saved myself into the mercy of cazadors or something, but I always put it back to Hard afterwards.

I'm kind of irrationality annoyed at myself, I've been noticing the sudden lack of challenge for a while :(

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Shit, just realised I've been playing for a while on Very Easy without realising it. I know I slapped it on to deal with one or two parts where I'd saved myself into the mercy of cazadors or something, but I always put it back to Hard afterwards.

I'm kind of irrationality annoyed at myself, I've been noticing the sudden lack of challenge for a while :(

Well, you're already a big ol' wuss for switching it to very easy at all, so you might as well roll with it.

Pansy. :M

hoochimama

Liturgist
Even on very hard without companions it's still easier than morrowind on default settings.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
And now I'm at like level 24 after less than that many hours. Not sure how people were getting 60+ hours out of this game; there's certainly a lot I haven't seen or done, but breezing through half the game's content at level 30 with full equipment seems a bit of a waste.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
And now I'm at like level 24 after less than that many hours. Not sure how people were getting 60+ hours out of this game; there's certainly a lot I haven't seen or done, but breezing through half the game's content at level 30 with full equipment seems a bit of a waste.

I guess it's how you play. I tend to look in every crack and crevice, check every hotel room, open every container and loot. Most of it's junk but I'm sure it would be useful if I was into crafting. I'm level 26 at 56 hours and have explored a bit of New Vegas and am currently in the Terminal building.

I haven't touched the game for a few days. I think it's what happened in KOTOR (which I never finished), I just couldn't bring myself to open another box and piss around in the shitty inventory anymore. It gets very tedious after awhile.

I'm playing on normal hardcore and there have been very few tense moments. Most of my weapons are crap and I have a lot of them but only ever use one or two. I have ED for a companion and ditched Boone as I heard he's an 'I win' button and I'm finding it easy enough as it is.

I imagine I'll continue on again but start clearing up quests instead of exploring because I just seem to be packing around a lot of junk and selling it for money that I don't seem to need. After raiding the growing co-op I have more corn than I can carry so foods not an issue.

Hopefully it get's challenging at some point but saying it's worth buying (and still believe that for the fifty hours I've played) I'm getting that bored feeling.

Ruprekt

Scholar
The game is definitely more fun if you turn the difficulty up to at least "hard". Otherwise you don't have to give a fuck in what you do... wipe out the gun runners... no problem... short of heading into a deathclaw infested cave.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'll give that a shot, didn't realize you could change it mid-game.

I've still found it fun overall despite the combat being unchallenging and the other issues that have been discussed to death. I was enjoying the looting but that inventory just gets tedious, I might try one of the mods for that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Even on very hard without companions it's still easier than morrowind on default settings.

Hell no. Morrowind was not difficult. At all. And it's even more broken after about 10 hours.

Hard is pretty OK, Very Hard/Hardcore can be quite difficult if you don't focus on combat skills too much and avoid some companions whose levels are sometimes broken (i.e. Boone will oneshot everything for a while).

You get too much XP though, there are some easily modified values in the GECK to temper this.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have one of 'dem "realistic damage" mods on now... All fine and dandy, 'cept combat ends in one shot most of the time. It kind of shows how poorly Oblivion engine fits to a game like that.

Still dig the idea that power armours make you nigh invincible to anything other than large calibre guns. But the goddamn robots...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Andyman Messiah said:
I always play on the easiest difficulty. I got shit to do.

Used to do that too, but the fact I could finish the game 20% faster wasn't enough compensation for having much less fun from playing it, in the long run. Now I usually stick to default difficulty level.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Power Fist (Meat of the Dog)

This is your host V. Dweller
Comin' to you live from the Californian Wasteland
To share a tale of human warmth and loss in this cold bleak world
Let the story be told, yeah, yeah, come on bitches

For twenty-three years I been wanderin' this waste
Walkin' past endless houses that're copy n paste
Saw a radscorpion the other day nigga
I ain't ashamed to tell you that I ran away nigga
Tried to join the Brotherhood but they weren't havin me
Said I'd bring their image down unacceptably
I told them to take their power armor n run
I chase them down and fuck their faces with my big floppy dong
I wear a leather jacket and I carry a shotgun (click click)

Found me a dog in a town made a junk
Initially planned to kill him and hide him in my trunk
To make for good eating when I travelled the land
But he came up to me and he just licked my hand
My heart nearly broke there, but I became a man
Now me n Dogmeat travel 'cross the desert sand
If there was anything left in my life that I missed
I found it when I found my new toy, my Power Fist

Now this is where my story might get kinda sad
Where I recount an experience of which I'm not glad
Like any kid I'd heard tales of great underground vaults
Where people grew up, clean as newborn colts
Dismissed them all as an old wives' tale
Spread by tribal elders, their sanity bailed
So imagine my surprise when I met a young lass
Clad in a vault jumpsuit that showed off her ass

Chorus:
I invited you to stay with me n Dogmeat in our hut (hut)
But you said you didn't want me to Power Fist you, what (what)
It should be an honour to let my dog's meat in your butt (butt)
Now I know you're getting freaky with Harold n Bob, slut

I could've offered you safe shelter n protection
All I wanted in return was some slightly unusual action
But you said that was too much, the price was too high
And that's why I threw you out, I ain't gonna lie
Dunno what you have against me n my power fist (power fist)
But if you wanna stay, learn to love my power fist (power fist)
Cause I ain't never letting go of my power fist (power fist)
Power fist, muthafucka
Power fist
Power fist

Now that girl wanders the waste, just like I did
But without a loyal dog or a fist like I had
Girl's gonna come to a sticky end, and I'm pissed
It coulda been avoided if she'd accepted my fist

I caught a report on the radio the other day
Three Dog and his homies were comin out to play
They told me about a girl from Vault 108
Who'd been ravaged by Supermutants over the course of three days
Her body was left for scavengers to find
Picked clean of all but the most basic supplies
You could almost hear the jokers dryin their eyes
But you know it, nigga, I never even cried
cause

Chorus:
I invited you to stay with me n Dogmeat in our hut (hut)
But you said you didn't want me to Power Fist you, what (what)
It should be an honour to let my dog's meat in your butt (butt)
Now I know you're getting freaky with Harold n Bob (slut)

The moral of this story, kids, is easy to see
You ever find yourselves lost just come runnin to me
Me n Dogmeat can offer you safe haven at last
All we ask in return is that we DP your ass

muffildy

Educated
done

*sigh* so sad, im at 116 hours and ive done everything there is to do now :( i wish they had more quests for caesars legion, house/yesman - it seems that the number of quests for the NCR is quite a lot more.

It would be nice if there was a mod to remove pointless areas from the map though incase i play again in a few months id rather not waste my time exploring places that dont have any quests related to them.

spectre

Arcane
Have you considered... I know it's revolutionary and all, but not going into these places?

muffildy

Educated
of course

Well naturally there is that option, but you cant help but stumble upon them in your travels and so the map will get cluttered needlessly.

Relay

Educated
Andyman Messiah said:
I always play on the easiest difficulty. I got shit to do.

Come on, what else is there to do in a game that is as easy as FNV ? you spend at least half of your gaming hours walking through that piece of shit avoiding invisible walls and going back and forth in the walled Freeside and Vegas. Make combat shorter and it's more like two thirds of the game spent walking.
The fucking amount of walking, I can't stand that shit. When I did all of the quests for the Brotherhood to get the goddamn power armor training it felt at least as bad as Morrowind, if not worse. Go fetch teh bodies of da hood spread everywhere. Go walk to three dumb vaults spread all over the world.. now, go fetch the three faggots who have been doing recon. All of course done with slowass running speed in an open world (instead of a map like FO1).

Of course people report having played that piece of shit for more than 50 hours, it's because of all the walking. It's like Morrowind except not even half as good when it comes to the lore, the setting and the skill sets.
FNV doesn't have a lot of content or combat, it has a lot of mindless walks. Look, unless you're a cripple, you can walk in the real world. I don't see the point of a walking simulator.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I find combat utterly boring in almost every RPG. I'm more into it for the story, and if I have to walk five hundred miles and a five hundred miles more just to be the man horse that walked a thousand miles just to have a good story, then so be it. Call me crazy.

You can mod the running speed, btw.

Relay

Educated
Andyman Messiah said:
I find combat utterly boring in almost every RPG. I'm more into it for the story, and if I have to walk five hundred miles and a five hundred miles more just to be the man horse that walked a thousand miles just to have a good story, then so be it. Call me crazy.

Adventure games are better at storytelling than RPGs. I love games like The Longest Journey. I would seriously hate them if I had to walk for thirty minutes straight just to get at the next part of the story.
Combat is part of what makes a RPG fun to me, and while I prefer turn based games like Fallout I still enjoyed Infinity Engine games a lot because of the variety of encounters particularly in BG2.

You can mod the running speed, btw.

I hate that argument. "You can fix X if it sucks" it shouldn't have been broken in the first place.
Anyway modding the running speed could seriously break the game's balance in combat as you can already play the kite with many of the stronger opponents.

I don't believe in fully consistent, open maps trying to simulate a tiny real-world like place. Walking is never going to be fun. Instant travel to interesting, content-filled places has always worked and done the jobs in great RPGs, it should stay that way.

Topher

Cipher
hoochimama said:

Yep. I always though Morrowind was so much better at %100 difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom