Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Vault Experiments.

I'm glad there are others who share the same passion of hate regarding Cass.

MCA wrote Cass. I hate Cass. Some could draw the conclusion: I hate MCA.

Tycn

Savant
I though they were a parody of trigger-happy conservatives. One of their idle lines is "once a Republican, always a Republican". But yeah, it's retarded.

Felix

Arcane
The bombard is pretty cool, but lol when the bomber flew across hoover dam I thought: "WTF is this WWII bullshit?"

Suchy

Arcane
Tycn said:
I though they were a parody of trigger-happy conservatives. One of their idle lines is "once a Republican, always a Republican". But yeah, it's retarded.
Yeah, I noticed that. But it's way over the top.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Made it past the dreaded ghoul quest. Reminded me a lot of Fallout 2; while the subject matter was unbearably retarded, there were enough choices and options to make it bearable, and there was something for every character to do. I loved the fact that even the "diplomatic" route resulted in two different endings depending on whether you'd brutalised your way through the other Nightkin or stayed your gun hand until you worked out the full extent of the situation; is this an approach that will pay off in the rest of the game? It's not really one that games normally reward you for taking, even good RPGs, so I don't want to waste effort doing it again if it was a one-off.

Also, helping the human scientist kill off the retards to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries was immensely satisfying. My "kill people for being retarded" approach to game morality is resulting in a rather high body count so far, but it's oh-so-satisfying to be able to follow through on it with suitable consequences (people being glad that the retarded people have gone away).

Anyway, so far, it feels very much like Fallout 3 done right. That is, it's Fallout. It's very much Fallout. I'd go so far as to say it incorporates more skill checks, alternate routes and rewards for unconventional thinking than either of the originals ever did. However, it's still very, very much wrapped up in a new shit packaging, and if you can't get past that, it might not be worth it. I'd say "did you enjoy Bloodlines?" is a pretty good test.

There seem to be other quests where solving everything peacefully pays off, or at least where it's possible. Currently playing the White Glove Society quest and it does have an awesome amount of multiple solutions, with many different possible dialog checks. It's kinda stupid because it's about cannibalism (not half as bad as FO3's cannibals-become-vampires quest, but being even half as bad as that one requires huge amounts of derp), but it's awesomely designed.

Playing as a chick with both Black Widow and Cherchez La Femme perks is also paying off. That guy, Benny, who shot you and whom you have to confront? I fucked him. He was like "Holy shit you're a weird girl... I shot you and you want to have sex with me? But whatever, why not..."
After having sex you can even decide to kill him in his sleep, which probably skips a part of the MQ (I left him alive but I guess so because your next quest is to find him *again* because he went to some other place).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Suchy said:
Boomers.
What the fuck is this retarded shit? Who designed it? It's down on Fallout 3 level and makes the ghoul quest shine. I don't mean just the artillery, but pretty much everything about Nellis AFB, apart from the AFB itself. The characters are terrible, their "story" is fucking dumb and so are related quests... Fuck.
:picardwtfisthisshit:

What's the issue really? The whole point of the Vaults was social experimentation. When you have a vault with massive amounts of artillery and no lock or whatever, one assumes it would create a society of gun nuts. Is it exaggerated? Of course... so is the entire Fallout universe.

I don't get the problem. The Republican line was stupid, but other than that...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Darth Roxor said:
What comes to your mind instantly when someone says 'night'? Because for me it's 'Can't see shit, cap'n', not 'hey, the sun finally stopped blinding me, let's go on a fun stroll through some forests now that I can see everything!'.
Click Options, set Screen Effects to None. No more disgusting white glow on objects.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's also worth noting that the Vegas lights illuminate the whole area, similar to being 10 miles outside of New York I am sure the night is not pitch black.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Made it past the dreaded ghoul quest. Reminded me a lot of Fallout 2; while the subject matter was unbearably retarded, there were enough choices and options to make it bearable, and there was something for every character to do. I loved the fact that even the "diplomatic" route resulted in two different endings depending on whether you'd brutalised your way through the other Nightkin or stayed your gun hand until you worked out the full extent of the situation; is this an approach that will pay off in the rest of the game? It's not really one that games normally reward you for taking, even good RPGs, so I don't want to waste effort doing it again if it was a one-off.

Also, helping the human scientist kill off the retards to the tune of Ride of the Valkyries was immensely satisfying. My "kill people for being retarded" approach to game morality is resulting in a rather high body count so far, but it's oh-so-satisfying to be able to follow through on it with suitable consequences (people being glad that the retarded people have gone away).

Anyway, so far, it feels very much like Fallout 3 done right. That is, it's Fallout. It's very much Fallout. I'd go so far as to say it incorporates more skill checks, alternate routes and rewards for unconventional thinking than either of the originals ever did. However, it's still very, very much wrapped up in a new shit packaging, and if you can't get past that, it might not be worth it. I'd say "did you enjoy Bloodlines?" is a pretty good test.

There seem to be other quests where solving everything peacefully pays off, or at least where it's possible. Currently playing the White Glove Society quest and it does have an awesome amount of multiple solutions, with many different possible dialog checks. It's kinda stupid because it's about cannibalism (not half as bad as FO3's cannibals-become-vampires quest, but being even half as bad as that one requires huge amounts of derp), but it's awesomely designed.

Playing as a chick with both Black Widow and Cherchez La Femme perks is also paying off. That guy, Benny, who shot you and whom you have to confront? I fucked him. He was like "Holy shit you're a weird girl... I shot you and you want to have sex with me? But whatever, why not..."
After having sex you can even decide to kill him in his sleep, which probably skips a part of the MQ (I left him alive but I guess so because your next quest is to find him *again* because he went to some other place).

I guessed that, but what I mean is quests where the diplomatic route isn't exactly... well, conventional. Like in this one, I'll admit that I found out on the wiki that there was a stealthy path and alternate result for not killing any Nightkin, but if I'd gone into it blind? I'd have written off the other Nightkin as cannon fodder on a level with Fallout 3's supermutant orcs, only there to be cleared out until you get and talk to their boss like nothing happened. It's not jumping to conclusions, it's just having a basic awareness of bad RPG tropes :( was incredibly cool to see someone finally recognise and subvert that one, though.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
BTW, if (like me) you have to play in windowed mode for the game not to crash, I can recommend using this so that the game actually plays full screen... well, look for yourself.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
JarlFrank said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

I guessed that, but what I mean is quests where the diplomatic route isn't exactly... well, conventional. Like in this one, I'll admit that I found out on the wiki that there was a stealthy path and alternate result for not killing any Nightkin, but if I'd gone into it blind? I'd have written off the other Nightkin as cannon fodder on a level with Fallout 3's supermutant orcs, only there to be cleared out until you get and talk to their boss like nothing happened. It's not jumping to conclusions, it's just having a basic awareness of bad RPG tropes :( was incredibly cool to see someone finally recognise and subvert that one, though.

Eh, weird. I just checked the wiki and managed to get the "best" result even though I killed a bunch of nightkin. Thing is, I first went to their boss to get the quest to find out about the stealthboys, and he warned me that his kin is rather aggressive and might attack me. So they did. I still managed to solve his quest even though I killed a bunch of nightkin.

Project: Eternity
I liked the Nellis AFB quest. There's something charming about the Boomer's messianic fervor for The One Who Will Raise A Crashed Bomber From the Bottom Of A Lake. And the bomber flyby at the battle of Hoover dam was a great touch. I even liked the "history mural" bit. The whole tone of the thing felt like a homage to Mad Max 3 I thought.

(I'm not spoilering anything since this thread is spoileriffic anyway.)

jaylittle

Scholar
I'm like 40 hours in and beyond the technical issues, this game is a masterpiece. It really goes a long way towards redeeming the franchise after the total clusterfuck that was Fallout 3. I'm most impressed with the practical way things are put together. There don't seem to be any crazy BS scenarios like in F3 such as Megaton. Shit so unbelievable it made me wanna scream. The game keeps things level and sensible and actually manages to provide some very thought provoking moral choices along the way. At first I was skeptical of the whole legion thing, but after actually speaking with Ceasar... I get it. However that doesn't mean I'm not going to run him down on this play through. I still haven't decided who I'll be supporting in the end though. It is actually a difficult choice.

Not to mention there seems to be no end to the amount of content. There is so much crap to run around and do. Just hit level 28 and took the Explorer perk and I can see that there are dozens of more places I've never been. Can't wait to visit some of them :)

Anyway I give the game two thumbs up. It is definitely one one the better RPGs to be released in recent years. Which frankly is a stunning turn around as Fallout 3 was an abysmal failure in so many ways.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
As I said a page before, I was doing a Kill-Everything-That-Moves playthrou... and I stopped. Why? It was fucking boring. After destroying 5 camps/town.

Achilles

Arcane
What's the point of attempting a "kill everybody" playthrough? Don't you get enough of that from the gazillion of shooters out there?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Alexandros said:
What's the point of attempting a "kill everybody" playthrough? Don't you get enough of that from the gazillion of shooters out there?

To see if the game can be completed, if I kill every named NPC.

UserNamer

Cipher
this game is great, in my opinion. Compared to the rest of similar games, it's fucking perfection. It has its flaws, but let's remember what the contenders are. In absence of an ideal, imaginary perfect game, it is the perfect modern rpg.

I will eagerly wait for a sequel or a dlc. I would like a less shitty engine for starters.

Darth Roxor said:
Bros, I'm not stupid. I tried waiting for various amounts of hours and checked both the saloon and the house during various times of the day and no, nobody appeared.

Roffelz. Look around town or something. If the quest compass is shit, then don't rely on it so much. There's a radiant world out there for you to explore.

Darth Roxor said:
What comes to your mind instantly when someone says 'night'? Because for me it's 'Can't see shit, cap'n', not 'hey, the sun finally stopped blinding me, let's go on a fun stroll through some forests now that I can see everything!'.

For me it's "Oh hay, there's the moon"

moonlight.jpg

Sady, the guy that made Fellout also doesn't believe in the moon goddess so he made nights into "go to the pipboy and wait for 8 hours" events.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Stumbled across Vault 11 last night and explored it. Holy shit, that place got down the whole ironic, bleak yet morbidly funny Fallout tone down to a T - I'd say as well as anything in the originals, and it shows up retarded shit like the Vault full of stupid clone-men shouting GARY as the retarded shit that it is.
However, I found a mini-nuke, which depresses me. I hoped they'd have excluded the portable nuclear catapult. Anyway, besides that, this game continues to impress more and more.

http://news.filefront.com/homosexuality ... ay-heaven/

Homosexuality and Fallout: New Vegas: A gay marriage made in gay Heaven
By: Jim Sterling | Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 | 12 Comments

As much as we like to talk about how videogames are art and worthy of cultural respect, there’s no denying that the medium has a lot of growing up to do. Nowhere is this more evident than with the general treatment of homosexuality within games. I can list on one hand the amount of gay characters I’ve seen in videogames that aren’t treated as borderline offensive jokes or identified almost exclusively by their gender preferences. Even the ones who are portrayed in a serious light are often so overwrought and needlessly camp that it looks patronizing at best and ignorant at worst.

This is why Fallout: New Vegas is such a wonderful game in its portrayal of gay characters. In fact, one character in particular has been realized so superbly, that you might not even know he’s gay at all. His name is Arcade Gannon, a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse. You may have had a high enough Speech Skill to recruit him as one of your companions, and you’ll find that he’s a rather excellent ally to have on your side. He’s armed with a deadly Plasma Rifle and a dry, cynical wit that makes him one of the more affable characters in the game. He’s also gay, and you’d hardly know it. In fact, he only really references his sexual inclination a handful of times should you converse about his life, and even when he talks about it, it’s in an incredibly offhand manner.

While completely downplaying what he insists is a boring and dull life, Arcade sarcastically asks why some man hasn’t come along and swept him off his feet. If you have the Confirmed Bachelor Perk, you can also flirt with him and win his trust, but for anybody else, this is the only real clue we ever get as to which way Arcade leans. This makes him, quite easily, the best gay character a videogame has ever had.

Kinda wondering now when FOX News will pick up on this and start screaming about how VIDYA GAEMS MAEK OUR KIDS GHEY!!!!

UserNamer

Cipher
I hated gannon as soon as I met him. Then two seconds later he talks about his gayness, and I left him in his stupid camp forever.

hoochimama

Liturgist
UserNamer said:
I hated gannon as soon as I met him. Then two seconds later he talks about his gayness, and I left him in his stupid camp forever.

Pretty much, also search&replace : Arcade Gannon-> Veronica, copy paste into lesbian gamer blog.

Was Veronica seriously lesbian? I played through her whole personal mission and I can't even remember her mentioning her preference in one way or the other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom