Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
baronjohn said:
Mangoose said:
I dunno, with Arwen's realism mod I'm having decent trouble.

That's the mod I'm using too. Trouble where? With groups? My game turns into a slideshow when there's more than 5 npcs on screen, but it doesn't really matter. I used the Avenger minigun (easily acquired) with large groups. You alert one and the rest come running right into the hail of bullets.

In caesar's tent I used two turbos. Caesar managed to take two steps before dying.
Like when I try to take out the Van Graffs. And the Legate.

baronjohn

Cipher
The Van Graffs can be picked off one by one with a silenced weapon. You can then sell their weapons to the vendor, and then kill her too.

Probably best to nuke the legate.

Radisshu

Prophet
baronjohn said:
The Van Graffs can be picked off one by one with a silenced weapon. You can then sell their weapons to the vendor, and then kill her too.

Probably best to nuke the legate.

I think the Ballistic Fist can take care of him pretty quickly, too.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
My battle with the Legate turned into a comical skit where he ran about trying to beat up Rex/Boone, his soldiers ran around in circles unable to decide whether they were hostile or not (I convinced him to fight me one on one) and heckling me and I smacked him about with melee VATS attacks whenever I got the opportunity. It wasn't very dignified, really.

Radisshu

Prophet
I had to reload right before the Legate because wearing the Advanced Power Armor helmet bumped my Speech skill down a few points. :x

That's a shitty thing about NV, IMO. TONS of items give various stat bonuses and penalties, while the stats were pretty much set in stone in F1 and 2 (unless you got some pretty expensive surgery done).

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
One question for all. Related to endgame battle.

I did all the quests getting different bros on my side and so on, but when it came to the battle at the Dam, nobody showed up except for the NCR and the Legion. I recruited the Boomers to House's cause and raised the bomber, I recruited the Brotherhood to the NCR, I got the Followers on the independent side, I think I got the Khans on the NCR's side (quest bugged out and I had to tell her they were dead, but I got the ending where they survived and prospered). In the final battle, I was independent, friendly with NCR and hostile to the Legion. I figured I'd at least see the Boomers in their bomber or some Khan machete fodder, but if they showed, I didn't see them. What gives?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well unfortunately I was Energy Weapons focused so I had no ammo for the Silenced pistol I had. Ended up chucking plasma nades and then running to the office and keeping watch on the door while picking them off through the window with my laser rifle.

All my companions also died on me, lol.

Radisshu

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:

I did all the quests getting different bros on my side and so on, but when it came to the battle at the Dam, nobody showed up except for the NCR and the Legion. I recruited the Boomers to House's cause and raised the bomber, I recruited the Brotherhood to the NCR, I got the Followers on the independent side, I think I got the Khans on the NCR's side (quest bugged out and I had to tell her they were dead, but I got the ending where they survived and prospered). In the final battle, I was independent, friendly with NCR and hostile to the Legion. I figured I'd at least see the Boomers in their bomber or some Khan machete fodder, but if they showed, I didn't see them. What gives?

Bugs, most likely.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:

If you convinced Papa Khan to go find greatness or whatever, that means The Khans wont show up to the battle at all. I think the only way to get them to ally with the NCR is to eliminate Papa Khan quietly and let the other guy take his place.
The Followers aren't fighters and are busy with wounded and stuff in Freeside while the fight lasts, no matter what. Well, unless you kill them, but then they're just busy being dead.
I didn't see the Brotherhood either, but if memory serves you never ask them to fight at hoover dam, just to call a truce with the NCR. Make sure they won't attack Helios while NCR is busy with Hoover Dam.
The Boomers show up in their plane, bomb shit and fuck right off again. Takes less than thirty seconds and could be easy to miss if you didn't hear the bomber come swooping in or you were busy showing some centurions what their insides look like. Or you could have forgotten to ask Pearl to fight with you, but I don't think it's possible to progress any of the end quests without doing that.

Radisshu

Prophet
The Brotherhood definitely helped me in my playthrough, they sent a few paladins.

baronjohn

Cipher
Radisshu said:
I had to reload right before the Legate because wearing the Advanced Power Armor helmet bumped my Speech skill down a few points. :x

That's a shitty thing about NV, IMO. TONS of items give various stat bonuses and penalties, while the stats were pretty much set in stone in F1 and 2 (unless you got some pretty expensive surgery done).

I didn't even know you could talk to him because I was sneaking around and wanted to get the first shot. But even a sneak critical with the sniper rifle only took 1/10 of his health, then he and 10 others rushed me and I had to perch myself where they couldn't reach me and then snipe them for 15 minutes at around 2 frames per second. I wasn't sure if I could even finish it.

Next time I'm going to bring either a minigun or the fat man. Probably both.

roll-a-die

Magister
baronjohn said:
Radisshu said:

I didn't even know you could talk to him because I was sneaking around and wanted to get the first shot. But even a sneak critical with the sniper rifle only took 1/10 of his health, then he and 10 others rushed me and I had to perch myself where they couldn't reach me and then snipe them for 15 minutes at around 2 frames per second. I wasn't sure if I could even finish it.

Next time I'm going to bring either a minigun or the fat man. Probably both.
Antimat rif sneak crit took off about a third of his health when I used it. Unfortunately that translated to about a tenth without the sneak crit, and my character was a totally gimped character without his 1 shot kills everything gun. Que mini nuking him from the ledge.

roll-a-die

Magister
Oh it wasn't the Legate that was the problem, if it were just him, he'd have been dead in a few seconds, it was the 12 other sons a bitches who decide to unload with ballistic fists on my shitty 1 str 1 end 10 perc 10 agi 9 int character.

hal900x

Augur
Hrrrm, I guess the way I played it, not all of them attacked simultaneously. I only recall at most 4, not including him. Did all 12 come from his tent? I killed several from stealth while proceeding up the hill. Then again the game is still fairly glitchy, so every play is a bit different.

Reading up a bit on the wiki, I guess having the 12.7 with tons of ammo isn't that common. I just did all the right things I guess. It was a fun little weapon.

roll-a-die

Magister
Ehm, I wanna say 4 came from the tent, 4 spawned in below, and 2 more came from somewhere, probably spawned in outside the gate. So around 10 give or take 2. and I cleared the camp using my amazing sneak far enough away to still be able to hit, but be outside the ai's detection range and kill something in 1-2 hits.

baronjohn

Cipher
Yeah perception and charisma are useless. I always take 5 str 5 end 1 per 1 cha 9 int 9 agl 10 lck

Relay

Educated
roll-a-die said:
1 str 1 end 10 perc 10 agi 9 int character.

New Vegas is not fallout. It's not turn based, you don't need 10 in agility, and perception doesn't do much in that game either.
Using endurance as a dump stat is also fully retarded since you can get one implant per point of endurance, if you took a single point from each of your SPCIAL stats and put them in E you can win them back through implants later. You shouldn't start with a 10 in any of your SPECIAL stats except maybe int if you feel you need that extra skill point so much.

Black

Arcane
I bet he gets it now, I too went high AGI, INT and PER on my first playthrough only to realise that only INT is somewhat good.
What'd be interesting is if this isn't roll's first playthrough.

SoupNazi

AGI increases you run speed. That enough was reason enough to bump it as far as I'm concerned, because running across the wasteland can be annoying as fuck.

Nijedit: As for my fight with the Legate, I Stealth Boy'd through the camp to him and tried reverse-pickpocketing a dynamite in his pants. Found out that's not possible :)x ) and killed him in two headshots of the Anti-Material rifle.

roll-a-die

Magister
Black said:
I bet he gets it now, I too went high AGI, INT and PER on my first playthrough only to realise that only INT is somewhat good.
What'd be interesting is if this isn't roll's first playthrough.
That was my first playthrough, second one I pretty much equalized my stats at 7 each. Much better playthrough that time. Currently on my third playthrough, this time with mods.

SoupNazi said:
AGI increases you run speed.

Does it? I haven't noticed any difference between AGI 6 and 10 and eventually ended up using a faster running esp because of how boringly slow movement across the wasteland is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom