Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: XCOM + Classic + Iron-Man OR: Reserve Your Corpse's Name!

Zeriel

Arcane
Ordered the game two days ago and got it today. Failed miserably in my first campaign on Classic, but atleast i stuck with it a bit.. but now im just gonna restart the whole thing.

Pro tip that I didn't realize at first, having come from X-COM 1 where losing countries is a sign you're retarded: in new X-COM, losing a bunch of countries is just fine. In fact, it can make the game easier, since it narrows down the places that can be targeted by attacks. I made the mistake of restarting the game on Classic + Iron-Man until I got a perfectionist 0-1 countries lost first win, but you can easily beat it with 7 countries lost (as we shall see in this LP).

Yeah, Xcom 2 takes a bit of getting used to if you played X-Com 1 before. The main things to keep in mind are - A. When in cover, you can be shot and seen by any unit that can see the square you are in or any adjacent square, B. Heavy cover is still pretty chancy, better to stand 1 step away from the corner then move up and scout/shoot when needed, C. Running straight up to aliens is a hell of a lot less risky and often your best tactic when shit hits the fan, whereas in X-Com 1 nearly every alien would be able to get off a reaction shot with the few TUs they had left, Aliens in X-Com 2 only do it in overwatch which is rare, fairly predictable, and really inaccurate.

Zeriel

Arcane
Also, while flanking is nice and really opens up late-game, trying to move around aliens to get flanking shots is a good way to get yourself raped early game. The safest way to play on Classic (esp. before armor and weapon upgrades) is to move forward very slowly, with everyone on overwatch, never activating more than one alien pack at once. When the odds are always 4-6 soldiers against 2-3 aliens, it's hard to lose.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's probably my biggest issue with this new XCOM difficulty, IMHO the hardest missions are the first ones... one hit from a alien, one overwatch trigger, one poison cloud, one simple mistake and bam, your soldier is dead.

Yeah, flanking is really weak for the most part since MUST BE 90 DEGREES AWAY FROM THEIR COVER AND ONLY 90 DEGREES MOTHERFUCKER. Since flanking tends to have you in vulnerable positions you might as well just right next to them for more accuracy, since if you miss a shot on a flank you'll die.

That's probably my biggest issue with this new XCOM difficulty, IMHO the hardest missions are the first ones... one hit from a alien, one overwatch trigger, one poison cloud, one simple mistake and bam, your soldier is dead.

Not that it was much different in X-Com 1, the problem is that in X-Com 2 a soldier is worth anywhere from 5x-50x more. Even late in the game if you have to restart with all rookies you are in a world of pain in X-Com 2, whereas in X-Com 1 you could kind of sort of manage with more casualties.

Zeriel

Arcane
Update 8: Alien Base

ALIEN BASE
EstZX.jpg
j5u7i.jpg
dYpqQ.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Oh, come on! What's a little mass-murdering alien invasion among friends? These people are more whiny than Sill!
JAAyX.jpg
Some good news: Light Plasma Rifle researched. We'll never build these weapons, but it opens up research into the Plasma Rifle, the basic end-game weapon.
yebgV.jpg
G32iX.jpg
Meanwhile, we tase a UFO pilot, which mysteriously transforms into a crystal of some kind.
EyNSi.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
Is that all that's left of the specimen we attempted to capture?
gCBPh.jpg
Yes. I believe we may have found the source of the strange readings we picked up when we first encountered it.
tlIWT.jpg
What is it, Doctor?
gCBPh.jpg
We're not exactly sure. It's organic in nature yet highly magnetized. And it appears to resonate, very faintly, within a specific electromagnetic spectrum. It is currently unclear how or--
IweYH.jpg
Perhaps... that's because this is outside of your field of expertise, Doctor. If what you're saying is true, this object is an antenna, one that's receiving a signal.
tlIWT.jpg
That signal... can we trace it?
IweYH.jpg
No. At least not yet. We would first need to determine its encryption algorithim.
gCBPh.jpg
My team can handle that.
IweYH.jpg
In that case, I will focus on constructing an interface between this object and our global communications array, which we'll need to trace the signal.
tlIWT.jpg
Then it looks like researching this... "crystal" should be our top priority.
lAfUt.jpg
The last rank of the Assault skill tree offers the definitive skill of the class: immunity to critical hits. Considering that a single critical hit can do more health than most characters have, this is a big deal.
oy1PT.jpg
Like Bradford said, this is our top priority. We need to find the Alien Base before X-COM gets shutdown by a panic-ridden council.
HBjvv.jpg
A few days later...
ecRtC.jpg
Q6ZOS.jpg
Buffering. Buffering. Buffering...
MHGcz.jpg
Motherfucker! I knew that link in Skype from HotRussianSk8er16 was malware.
tlIWT.jpg
There you are... Tactical, do we have an eagle over these coordinates?
4zKmO.jpg
Bradford's "listening to worthless subordinates" face is perfect.
1SZ7T.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
Nothing...
IweYH.jpg
No, that's impossible. I know it's there.
gjnUO.jpg
Maybe it's hidden by the spell of a vile magician?!
tlIWT.jpg
Hidden... that gives me an idea. Switch to thermal.
q2hxl.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Bingo!
tPiii.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
Think of what we might find once we get inside that facility. Imagine what they might be doing down there...
gjnUO.jpg
Listening to old Kenny G records? I wouldn't put it past them. Their evil is truly unspeakable.
IweYH.jpg
I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
xa4WT.jpg
IweYH.jpg
I thought you'd never ask...
Lqw1V.jpg
diUaW.jpg
Time to cowboy up, gents.
PjHTU.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
The methods involved in creating these "crystals"... an organic machine capable of complex communications. We could spend years studying this technology.
ZX0b4.jpg
Sure, we could. We could also spend years researching a new shape for potato chips. It's been DECADES. Why must we still labor under the tyranny of a round paradigm? FREE THE SALTY CRISPS! SHIFT YOUR MIND! Get to work on that, Doc.
yStqn.jpg
The Skeleton Key is produced instantly.
zqCGQ.jpg
So, the Alien Base is in the middle of the ocean. You might say it's a... Terror from the Deep!
ZnM3O.jpg
Meet the A-Team.
rk2Qt.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
Thanks to Dr. Vahlen's research, and some clever developments down in Engineering, this "Skeleton Key" should allow you to breach the alien compound. We've only got one chance to make this work though, so let's make sure we do it right.
ZX0b4.jpg
Men, when you see an alien, pretend it is a beautiful, sobbing young girl. SHE MUST BE ASSAULTED! This is your mission.
nyPfQ.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
God only knows what they're doing to these people. All the more reason to blow them to hell. Get moving.
uWrpL.jpg
Thanks, Grandma! We're moving, we're moving... sheesh.
wHkhh.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
So far we don't have visual confirmation on the hostiles. I wouldn't get too comfortable though, we're expecting heavy resistance. They're probably moving into position as we speak.
ZX0b4.jpg
Or maybe they've already fled before our mighty army! I am here, after all. That would be the smart thing to do. Run and hide, gray-skinned nancies!
CAV8M.jpg
Noise to the northwest.
NwCE0.jpg
Drones! These are robotic medics, who usually support the Cyberdisc, a fearsome mechanical enemy. Today, it looks like they're alone.
3Ld1d.jpg
On their own, they're not very threatening, and we take them out quickly.
ZX0b4.jpg
Hah! The aliens have mistaken us for cows, and sent Rectal Probing Bots after us! They will regret this tactical error.
gCBPh.jpg
I... don't think that is the purpose of those robots, Commander.
gjnUO.jpg
True. Rectal Probing Bots would be much more dangerous enemies.
iZsKk.jpg
Floaters! Ulminati gets a reaction shot.
Qmb0N.jpg
Floater Alpha down.
JJQ5j.jpg
A miss blows up a crate of fissile alien material behind the floaters.
ft1PC.jpg
Come on, TNO!
VDMzp.jpg
That's a thing of beauty.
vpdE0.jpg
More floaters.
ZX0b4.jpg
Eeeeugh. This place's got more floaters than the barracks bathroom after BlitzKitchen gets done with it.
rWYak.jpg
Feeling the pressure, Tigranes misses the shot.
UxbrU.jpg
Those are some truly... Awesome odds. :smug: I'll be here all night, folks.
x86z9.jpg
tm7l4.jpg
We move up into the next room. One floater jetted away into the darkness, so we're leery.
4G8QK.jpg
Something out there...
60Z8c.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
What could they possibly be storing in those tanks?
gjnUO.jpg
Powerade? It's got electrolytes! Did you know that's what plants crave? Electrolytes?
qJ2WS.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Hello!
QrlF6.jpg
9KCeJ.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Goodbye!
KJd0S.jpg
The floater's back.
PPL2s.jpg
And decides to spend his turn jetting around uselessly. Perhaps this is the alien version of panicking.
sQMHH.jpg
Cya!
AUMuv.jpg
IweYH.jpg
What in God's name are we looking at?
gCBPh.jpg
I didn't want to believe it... but it's clear the aliens have been experimenting on the abductees... what could they be hoping to accomplish through this?
ZX0b4.jpg
What were you expecting? You don't abduct someone to feed them vanilla soft-serve, and it's not like we got a ransom note. Your logic is about as shoddy as your blowjob technique. I'm only surprised they're not making party favors out of human livers, with how many people they've been taking.
ficKh.jpg
AkTBQ.jpg
Textbook overwatch farm.
2CIVP.jpg
Textbook Chrysallid ambush!
DE4YU.jpg
Oh, Bee! Her honey brings all the insectoids to the yard.
eHXHP.jpg
Some sectoids, too.
m56UD.jpg
Ulminati using his scope on a target from ten feet away. Majestic.
dVvcP.jpg
Double Tap is a sniper perk that lets Ulminati shoot twice on the same turn if he doesn't move. It has a 1-turn cooldown.
GOdQJ.jpg
uzyun.jpg
Don't be Negevative. Or do.
yWnkE.jpg
Chrysallids are down, and Bee's safe. Now, for that sectoid...
bLe2C.jpg
vh4Zq.jpg
Another Chrysallid, hiding in the back.
XpWvo.jpg
AxCMQ.jpg
AxUXB.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Advancing into rearmost quadrant of enemy HQ, Central. Resistance relatively light so far.
w3D2Y.jpg
A plasma blast comes through the wall from an enemy we can't see. This freaks me out a little.
QeKAK.jpg
Turns out it was the last sectoid.
VTHim.jpg
Before advancing, we lightly perfume apply medikits to the injuried.
dzt0Y.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Contacts ahead. Stay frosty, men.
r2ISY.jpg
Drones. Not much for a so-called Alien Base--
FCvxP.jpg
I retract my previous statement.
6NzwP.jpg
uWrpL.jpg
DEPLOY FUCKING EXPLOSIVES NOW!
m40CK.jpg
BCjGa.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
... (Tears of joy running down his face.)
A748V.jpg
Awesome takes a shot...
CV5yW.jpg
...and nails it. One drone left.
xIGZR.jpg
gCZtR.jpg
Let's unpack that sniper rifle to deal 1 damage, shall we?
4agT8.jpg
You may sneer, but every little kill counts when you're talking shop with fellow snipers. "Oh, you've only killed 250 marks? I'm at 310."
2p8M3.jpg
One little Chrysallid showed up to the party late...
naDSD.jpg
...but we're always handing out free Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation! As an aside, you know it's going to hurt when the gun barrel is actually inside of your head.
HT8vV.jpg
TbRkS.jpg
Thin Men! Like the worms they are, they run away.
v3b6L.jpg
Zm2YV.jpg
The Retinal Implant wins out again!
1lwxf.jpg
The Sectoid Commander.
gCBPh.jpg
That alien is clearly different from the others... it's wielding a power unlike anything we've previously encountered. It almost looks like a larger version of the sectoid, but what is that energy?
ZX0b4.jpg
Tai chi?
LALF6.jpg
Sectoid Commander, meet Ulminati.
i9QQb.jpg
Double Tap brings us the kill.
ZX0b4.jpg
Hah! Doesn't seem so dangerous to me. Just another midget with delusions of grandeur.
6rJQu.jpg
With the Sectoid Commander down, Ulminati throws a battle scanner to locate the last aliens.
KkqH1.jpg
AvAT3.jpg
apfOW.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
It feels like we're finally turning the tide. Now that we've captured their device, the aliens are running out of secrets.
gCBPh.jpg
It's imperative that we begin the research as soon as possible.
IweYH.jpg
Now that we've captured this device, we should probably be expecting the aliens to pursue us more... aggressively. I doubt losing it was part of their plan.
gjnUO.jpg
You might say we've given them an unwanted pregnancy!
tlIWT.jpg
I would never say that.
nYYOB.jpg
tlIWT.jpg
Roger that, Voodoo Three-One. See you inside. Central out.
C2An9.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
Don't you think a victory celebration is a bit premature at this juncture?
tlIWT.jpg
We just NEUTRALIZED their central command. We've got no other alerts on the entire system, AND we took out their leader. In my book, that's a win, Doctor.
TMsNG.jpg
A little later, in the labs...
gCBPh.jpg
Commander, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who understands this war isn't over yet. The existence of this artifact, which we believe to be a communication device of some kind, begs the question--if the Sectoid Commander was the alien leader, then who, or what, was it communicating with? I believe this is indeed the same creature we encountered when we made first contact with the aliens. As we have observed, it is somehow capable of using its mind as a weapon. If we were to study this specimen's brain tissue, perhaps we might be able to adapt this ability for own purposes.
ZX0b4.jpg
Like telekinetically lifting short skirts! Yes! A brilliant plan, Doc.
iHhHr.jpg
cbfbm.jpg
Our next objective. Since this will bring us close to the end-game, we'll delay chasing it for the moment. Previously, the aliens used the Hyperwave relay in the Alien Base to communicate and pilot all their UFOs. The "pilots" (Outsiders) we saw in alien spacecraft were really just sophisticated, human-shaped drones. Now that we took their communication toy, Sectoid Commanders will start showing up in every UFO, since they have to pilot the ships directly.
C5mSd.jpg
Just what we needed! Panic reduced worldwide by our daring raid on the alien base. We won't lose any countries from the project this month.
URMpC.jpg
The current situation.
iDw62.jpg
Turns out the aliens were keeping geneslurry in those barrels, not powerade. Unlike in the original X-COM, you can't research these flavor items. They're purely for selling.

plT8i.jpg
I know, I know. What use could the French possibly have for weapons? But they offered a good price, so we made some scatter lasers Just For Them!
ModvT.jpg
The month ends on a positive note. It looks like we might finally be seizing the advantage in the war against the extraterrestrials.
L95RZ.jpg
Normally, dissecting the Sectoid Commander would give us access to the Psi Labs, and psionics in general. But a Second Wave option requires us to capture a psionics alien (i.e Sectoid Commander) alive, so for now we just get some exposition. Oh, well.
XuGHH.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
This is an extremely dangerous species, Commander. Although not physically intimidating, the 'psionic' power that this creature wields is perhaps the greatest threat we've encountered so far.
ZX0b4.jpg
You keep saying that, but it died the same as the other sectoids.
v8TJp.jpg
ERj9V.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
This unit appears to be a "Drone", which is similar to the military drones we are familiar with. This particular example seems to have the ability to repair damaged equipment. Dr. Shen and I believe it should be possible to capture and repurpose these for our own use in the field.
a7r4z.jpg
3QpPE.jpg
Hey, it's a scout! The smallest ship size. This'll be a quick and easy mission.
Here's a video of what happens next:

I didn't have any screenshots of this mission, so thought I'd just have to describe this from memory, but then I realized I had some video clips of it. Normally I prefer the flavor and character of a screenshot-with-text-LP, but this will be a one-time exception because it's just too hilarious to see this in action. Enjoy.
hrcgF.jpg
There's a really annoying song about Irony, but it's less ironic than this.
uWrpL.jpg
How is this possible? I AM THE HERO OF THIS TALE! Vahlen, fire up the cloning labs, and get the genetic samples out of cryo. This can't be allowed to stand.
ALIEN BASE ENDS

lightbane

Arcane
Well that was a terrible disgrace... Time to bring up more recruits/meatshields!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bro, that was on tense battle, I could almost hear you scream when they started to mindcontrol and Bee missed that rocket. :lol:

gCBPh.jpg
I didn't want to believe it... but it's clear the aliens have been experimenting on the abductees... what could they be hoping to accomplish through this?
Talk about being a hypocrite... what was that again on how important it was risk our solider to capture, interrogate and autopsy every alien, FOR SCIENCE? :roll:

Zeriel

Arcane
That video illustrates the essence of XCOM so well, I think. A long game of caution and perfect missions thrown away in an instant of carelessness compounded by RNG. I knew there would be sectoid commanders in UFOs from then on, but in previous playthroughs I'd never seen more than one in a pack at once (and certainly not more than one on the smallest ship type). Three mind-controllers is nothing to sneer at, especially when one decides to fuck off and hide away from everyone else after mind-controlling your deadliest soldier.

War is hell, gentlemen.

Bro, that was on tense battle, I could almost hear you scream when they started to mindcontrol and Bee missed that rocket. :lol:

gCBPh.jpg
Talk about being a hypocrite... what was that again on how important it was risk our solider to capture, interrogate and autopsy every alien, FOR SCIENCE? :roll:

Yeah, I fucking love how absurd some of the dialogue is, it makes it really easy to write Rancian replies.

Cool name

Arcane
The mission did capture the essence of X-Com very well. :P

Yet I do however have to wonder who did write the script. "Let us interface this completely non understood alien communications device to our global communications network. What could go wrong?"

Zeriel

Arcane
The mission did capture the essence of X-Com very well. :P

Yet I do however have to wonder who did write the script. "Let us interface this completely non understood alien communications device to our global communications network. What could go wrong?"

And a flurry of pop-ups obliterates the XCOM base operating system.

Yeah. There are some moments where, as a writer, I wanted to insert something hugely subversive. To be fair, though, I can't think of any recent game that had genuinely good writing, and at least XCOM isn't about narrative (it would be improved with less set events, for example).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Glorious deaths!! You appear to be in want of new recruits. Let me join the queue:

Mrowak 'Pilgrim' Mrovakowitsch, Male, Sniper, Slav. :salute:

3 mutons 10 feet away with 2 rocket launchers ready.

"Let's charge the commanders".

RIP

Also this is why we should be packing Disabling Shot, gentlemen.

Zeriel

Arcane
3 mutons 10 feet away with 2 rocket launchers ready.

"Let's charge the commanders".

RIP

There's a lot of things there that seem retarded as fuck, but really, the moment the sectoid commander MC'd my best assault and then ran away and hid, the map was over. Should have just had everyone run away at that point and left Tigranes behind. Or shot him in the face and called it a day. This is the great problem with trying to keep your best soldiers alive.

Trying to kill the mutons there really wouldn't have mattered--Tigranes would have just butchered the rest of my team. Also, once they're activated, squads do tend to work well together, so if I had focused on the mutons there would have been even more MC'ing from the commander(s), since there's no limit on how many times any given unit can MC units. If the rocket hadn't missed, I would have gotten control of him much earlier, and it would have played out a lot differently. In retrospect you're probably right, though--it would have been maybe 2 deaths in that turn, instead of 4.

Tigranes still only gets one shot a round with a relatively weak weapon compared to uber plasma rifles, everyone except Bee at that point would probably have survived it with one or two HP left (granted Bee is closest and probably screwed, but you can still hope for artificial stupidity). Since MC goes away at the end of the next alien turn you would have your Run and Gun back which automatically beats one of their commanders, leaving the rest of your team to deal with the other and that 4th muton. Not sure how well you cleared the area though, maybe Run and Gun would be in danger of revealing more enemies.

The rocket miss was a shitty moment, though I doubt the end result would be all that much better had it hit.

Goes to show that the worst thing to do in X-Com is activate multiple groups at once.

Zeriel

Arcane
Tigranes still only gets one shot a round with a relatively weak weapon compared to uber plasma rifles, everyone except Bee at that point would probably have survived it with one or two HP left (granted Bee is closest and probably screwed, but you can still hope for artificial stupidity). Since MC goes away at the end of the next alien turn you would have your Run and Gun back which automatically beats one of their commanders, leaving the rest of your team to deal with the other and that 4th muton. Not sure how well you cleared the area though, maybe Run and Gun would be in danger of revealing more enemies.

The rocket miss was a shitty moment, though I doubt the end result would be all that much better had it hit.

Goes to show that the worst thing to do in X-Com is activate multiple groups at once.

Yeah, unfortunately the mutons kind of just wandered over. I think they were drawn by sound, though? Not entirely sure on that. The whole thing revolved around there being multiple sectoid commanders in a single pack, something I had never seen before this most recent patch. I'm not sure what's up with that--it's been a few months since I last played, and it feels like a few things have been tweaked under the hood without them mentioning it.

This is one of the perfect examples of where I don't agree with people who say that much of XCOM is out of your control. Just a brief, cursory glance over a video I played through myself shows multiple things I could have done much better that would have had a better out-come... in one of the most shitty scenarios to get yourself into you could imagine, let alone on a normal mission.

It's out of control when you have rookie squad members. Have fun with the upcoming missions by the way.

:mhd:

Zeriel

Arcane
It's not so bad at this level of tech, honest! We only lost like... 8 rookies, okay? That's nothing.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I'm dead! Nooooooo and we didn't even see it. For a moment, I thought I might survive that onslaught.

Still, this is nothing to the bloodbath that were my failed TFTD-LP's, so take heart.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm dead! Nooooooo and we didn't even see it. For a moment, I thought I might survive that onslaught.

Still, this is nothing to the bloodbath that were my failed TFTD-LP's, so take heart.

I wish we could travel back in time to October of last year, for when I first got the game. My first thoughts were along the lines of: "Hah! This game looks super modern and console-tastic! I bet it's way too easy, I'll just put it on Impossible + Iron-Man so I won't get bored." Ten failures on the first mission later...

Zeriel

Arcane
Screw cloning, I want a chance at dying a dog's death too. For mankind.

Almost everyone who posted early on for names who didn't get in was a matter of classes. It's hard for me to fit 4 snipers on one squad (and by hard I mean NOPE!), so sorry about that. If you don't care about class, I will get you in there for the Battleship mission or whatever we have coming up after the next update (which is already pre-screenshotted and all).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Almost everyone who posted early on for names who didn't get in was a matter of classes. It's hard for me to fit 4 snipers on one squad (and by hard I mean NOPE!), so sorry about that. If you don't care about class, I will get you in there for the Battleship mission or whatever we have coming up after the next update (which is already pre-screenshotted and all).

In that case, in order to improve my chances of dying painful, gruesome death valiantly popping alien moles pick whichever class you prefer for my recruit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom