Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: XCOM + Classic + Iron-Man OR: Reserve Your Corpse's Name!

Shadenuat

Arcane
You can lower the difficulty you know. Classic or normal Ironman, with all the LOS problems, bugs and random spawns could be just as deadly. Still ironman afterall.

Zeriel

Arcane
Opposite problem. Game is too easy! Well, more accurately, every mission includes a fairly small number of soldiers compared to the original, and my personal decision was that LP'ing tons of filler missions that are identical to stuff we'd already seen wasn't a good idea, so, there you go. Anyway, screenshots are all ready for the next few updates, I just need to stop being lazy and put it together. Probably somewhere in the next few hours.

Absalom

True dat. I think a battleship even has more aliens than the final mission which is insane.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to mention that they have only HARD aliens and they came in packs, 1 etheral with 4 muton elite and 2 sectopods... not that retarded shit that is facing 4 sectoids alone, then 4 thin man, then 4 hoverguys...

Zeriel

Arcane
Update 9 - Supply Barge

oesW1Cf.jpg
Ironies continue to pile up. After losing our main squad in its entirety, we finish researching Plasma Rifles.
ifz6Z1P.jpg
...and an All Rookies Terror Mission runs into an army of Cyberdiscs, best described as Zen prayer circles that unfold into horrible death spiders from space.
2gWkbku.jpg
Cya, new guys!
vct2q5y.jpg
The aliens have done what Hitler never could. Rest in peace, fish & chips shops.
ejADnSp.jpg
We do recover a Cyberdisc wreckage, though.
gCBPh.jpg
We've yet to recover one of these in functional condition from the field - the men seem to enjoy using them for target price. At the present time, we know that the "Cyberdisc", as they've been calling it, is heavily armed, but it shows no clear pattern of behavior on the battlefield.
ZX0b4.jpg
Don't hurt your brain trying to figure them out, Doc. I've established a pattern of behavior: they're fucking our shit up!
eiBGriE.jpg
QyxGcnK.jpg
We capture a Sectoid Commander, and prepare for interrogation. This is essential to unlocking Psi abilities for our soldiers.
hkBgsNK.jpg
kh27QCd.jpg
The power of Brainiac compels you!
c5JXVpg.jpg
Interrogation unlocks Psi Labs and research credit for psionic subjects.
gCBPh.jpg
Nothing will ever be the same. The work that we've done here--to adapt the technology of a hostile enemy force--has advanced the scientific progress of mankind by untold generations. These weapons... these abuses of science, we still have an opportunity to use them for a greater good. We have paid a heavy price, but our efforts have not been in vain.
ZX0b4.jpg
Is that science-speak for "we're gonna mind-control us some aliens now"?
0yQjgDT.jpg
The Foundry is complete. This lovely place lets us upgrade our weapons, armor, and other toys, in ways other than simply making new types of them.
DuRaV4N.jpg
Like, say, Ammo Conservation. While ammo is only a concern in XCOM insofar as having to reload during a firefight (hence wasting a turn), those days are behind us with this project. Never stop firing, gents.
dUewMWb.jpg
Research is coming along on replicating the alien spacecraft design. Just a little longer...
gSDA8fr.jpg
oc7rWK9.jpg
Plasma Rifles start rolling off the assembly line and into the firing range. Also, a reminder that mutons were incredibly cheesy-looking in X-COM - UFO Defense.
Zpy4XQN.jpg
Titan Armor, the best (for pure survivability) armor in the game. It's safe to say we're approaching the end of our journey.
ODIotMi.jpg
Finally! Dogfighting's about to get real.
4qThr6Q.jpg
Titan Armor in action.
fucMu4a.jpg
Hyperwave Communication lets us build the Hyperwave Relay base facility, which is kind of like the Enigma codebreaker, but for aliens. Once complete, it'll let us tell what types of aliens are defending a UFO before a mission, in addition to pushing forward the narrative.
XBDSkFT.jpg
Yes, that's a Plasma LMG. No, we don't have the funds to build them just yet.
qds8w4y.jpg
Many dead rookies and weeks of effort later, the squad is rebuilt.
X029FQL.jpg
vJes0LS.jpg
IweYH.jpg
This looks to be a supply ship of some kind, and the potential storage capacity is enormous. If the aliens are really attempting to bring in this much outside material, it can only mean they're ramping up the scale of the invasion.
ZX0b4.jpg
Then I guess we better ramp up our forceful molestation of their bodies. Ulminati, get me a visual.
NbjmfKK.jpg
IARv4Bm.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Oh, hello! Set tasers to FUCKING ERADICATE THEM ALL!
f7phXsE.jpg
Ulminati with a nice laser snipe for 7 damage.
s3epeYe.jpg
Say hello to the Muton Berserker. He likes long walks on the beach, clawing faces off, and high base health. Berserkers don't have a long-ranged weapon, and have to attack in melee like Chrysallids. They have a lot more health than Chrysallids, and do more damage. In addition, when they take damage they get a free move towards whoever inflicted damage on them.
uWrpL.jpg
Redscum, cast fireball!
vepNYHC.jpg
w1UJg6O.jpg
z4ZgRSL.jpg
Good ol' Bullet Swarm lets our heavies fire twice a turn if they didn't move.
ENJLbiY.jpg
4Mn7Eq7.jpg
As you can see, if you have a lot of room to work with and no other distractions, Berserkers are fairly easy to deal with. The free move on damage can be used to control them and move them where you want.
bHY1SLZ.jpg
May he rest in pieces.
J3YFTqz.jpg
This wondrous doohickey is basically an alien elevator.
eicOJ6J.jpg
ijwtBVt.jpg
Moving BlitzKitchen to the exterior of the ship, we find more mutons.
vWmywo8.jpg
The normal muton rushes inside, while the Berserker stays outside.
dz0VGQf.jpg
qPJ5n8T.jpg
Agassi with the kill!
S0RGdSB.jpg
The very definition of majestic: using a sniper's pistol to pull a berserker back into a death-trap.
A66a9FU.jpg
Hey, buddy! 1 WHOLE DAMAGE! Better freak the fuck out!
qRzNDwq.jpg
The Berserker's free move takes him close enough to BlitzKitchen to trigger the too-close reaction shot assaults get. Oh, strategery!
nXw6vWT.jpg
This is my boomstick.
OCwxmoq.jpg
46uRI7x.jpg
The Berserker is no match for BlitzKitchen's kenyan guile.
exFgwqT.jpg
The team moves aftward. This ship is sizable.
ZXep9EK.jpg
Bee scouts around a corner, and finds a pair of Sectoid Commanders.
dtiMAHH.jpg
uWrpL.jpg
THESE assholes? Oh, hell no! We're not gonna have a repeat of the Disaster That Shall Not Be Named. Put these guys underground, now!
zp5dHZi.jpg
BlitzKitchen with the Run & Gun.
wMZdkDY.jpg
Bee sees BlitzKitchen's Run & Gun...
NpejcN8.jpg
...and raises him a Run & Gun, AND Rapid Fire double shot.
sCPRdah.jpg
As expected. :smug:
GjfxfcV.jpg
The Commander shoots BlitzKitchen in the face instead of using mind control.
QMJAIjf.jpg
Sectoid, begone!
QrOJLIE.jpg
Beep, beep, I'm a jeep muton!
nnzwvzT.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
No, no, it's fine. Keep missing. It's not like you're the LAST LINE OF DEFENSE against an ALIEN INVASION OF THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD!
QCGeItv.jpg
ZX0b4.jpg
Better.
cIK4z63.jpg
xpMnTwp.jpg
Down and out.
BfJk7GX.jpg
yP0hc2h.jpg
Welcome to Corridor Shooter: The Strategy Game.
ZaVToqn.jpg
4uMPx7Q.jpg
xsxpEnp.jpg
hSs7Xxa.jpg
Oh, that's where the last muton went! He's up on the roof.
h4uVPIU.jpg
jEoUz1J.jpg
Bee once again claims her mantle as Xeno Destroyer in Chief.
JkHamun.jpg
1CL8tL8.jpg
Meanwhile, Agassi hooked around to the right and advanced into sight of a new pack of mutons.
vcbGgKu.jpg
The Berserker punches Agassi in the face for 11 damage. Ouch.
yYCPSQT.jpg
You got a problem with five-yard-long-sniping? Ulminati doesn't.
v1qRxsv.jpg
Revenge! For a pretty face all clawed up, that is.
xpUvHQK.jpg
WSswX2D.jpg
Scandal! BlitzKitchen misses a flanking shot.
wUCPxH6.jpg
B3vvcMf.jpg
Eh, we might as well reduce the ship to rubble in the process of killing these guys.
xfG94rg.jpg
LNoIDjl.jpg
I have a good feeling about this.
khGooyq.jpg
Crispy-fried muton with a side order of sit down, son.
lZlZf8y.jpg
MbCrD84.jpg
Meanwhile, back at the base...
tlIWT.jpg
I think we just leveled the playing field.
uWrpL.jpg
OH GOD! A UFO HAS LANDED IN THE BASE! GIVE THE EVACUATION ORDER!
IweYH.jpg
Commander, this is the Firestorm, not an enemy ship. It's our best attempt to replicate the alien technology.
ZX0b4.jpg
Uhh... I was just testing you. Carry on.
fKJQSpq.jpg
The Plasma Cannon. Surprisingly, it is not the ultimate ship-to-ship weapon, but it'll do a good job of taking down the enemy.
tlIWT.jpg
Thanks to the aliens, our engineering team has managed to negate billions of dollars in traditional aerospace development with a single ship.
ZX0b4.jpg
Don't you worry, Bradford. I'll put those unspent billions to good use. My mattress needs more padding!
7IREtLv.jpg
Ulminati's wet dream. This thing is a monster.
jcsJ0kp.jpg
s9Wg4qj.jpg
OgNMMWR.jpg
IweYH.jpg
Mark it in the history books. This is the end of an era for mankind. Even after we've defeated the remaining aliens, what then? Have we sacrificed our own humanity for a taste of their technology? And if we manage to exploit this power further, do we risk being consumed by it...
ZX0b4.jpg
Nope! Nothing could possibly go wrong! We're the heroes of this tale, after all.
p59d5sc.jpg
Yes, our first gifted psionicist is a meathead heavy. Mindfray is the first psionic ability--it does only minor damage (5), but reduces the target's stats, and never misses against normal, low-will targets. This makes it ideal for taking out weaker targets at range or in high cover.
P54azoU.jpg
The EMP Cannon. Despite the flavor text, it doesn't appear to have any effect on what you recover from crashed UFOs. However, it does markedly more damage than the Plasma Cannon, devastating ships once within range.
xDmGT1e.jpg
gjnUO.jpg
I'm hungry. Can we do a vivisection, Doc?
gCBPh.jpg
...You're unbelievable.
Oq5KB5a.jpg
gCBPh.jpg
The men are calling this beast the "Berserker". Although it shares the same structure as the Muton, for reasons yet unknown to us, the Berserker seems to be consumed by blood lust, with little regard for its own safety.
ZX0b4.jpg
Tastes like chicken!

Zeriel

Arcane
That's what you get with no level-scaling on the story missions :troll:

The alien base definitely has "level scaling", what you find there depends on the power of the enemy in average missions at the time (i.e the month). The only mission (well, disregarding Council Missions which are just dumb anyway) that has scripted spawns that are fairly tame is the Temple Ship, and it was apparently designed as a victory lap more than a challenging mission in of itself, which is backed up by the fact that if you fail it, you can just replay, even on Iron Man.

Shadenuat

Arcane
No fair, those old farts got reanimated and grabbed all the plasma toys :x I will see you die second time you stoopid A team

Zeriel

Arcane
No fair, those old farts got reanimated and grabbed all the plasma toys :x I will see you die second time you stoopid A team

I feel guilty. =( My only defense is that a lot of this stuff was already screenshotted and done by the time I realized I needed to fit more people in.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

I feel guilty. =( My only defense is that a lot of this stuff was already screenshotted and done by the time I realized I needed to fit more people in.
I see I got demoted. No doubt so I could have ITZ and not because I died off-screen in a cheap cop-out. :smug:

Gozma

Arcane
It's funny that the new XCOM guy said that they had only added ironman late in development without much thought about it, because it is accidentally tuned to make a first play of the game (on normal for normal video game people or classic for TB people) work. The mid-late game is all way too easy but the threat of having to start over if you really fuck up badly with a TPK or so keeps it interesting. They really seemed to have gone for "one and done" replay non-value otherwise so I thought that was just what they meant to do.

Zeriel

Arcane

I see I got demoted. No doubt so I could have ITZ and not because I died off-screen in a cheap cop-out. :smug:

You're so optimistic.

:troll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
From what I understand you'll love the final mission.
:troll: On my playthrough, the only character out of five or six in my squad who got psi was redhead woman medic/support named Sarrah Kerrighan.
Imagine my face on getting psi and last mission both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom