Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - completed

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elwro said:
Why are druids superior to clerics? Being able to cast Cure Serious Wounds is one thing, but what about other differences? Is their Turn Undead ability better or what?
Only Clerics can turn undead. Clerics are limited to level 3 cosmos-sphere spells, so 4th and higher cosmos-sphere spells such as cure-level-wounds, slay-living or raise-dead cannot be cast.
But they can use any level elemental spells, a fire-sphere cleric can cast flamestrike but not stoneskin(earth-sphere) for instance.

A druid also have the elemental sphere limitation but they can always cast all level cosmos-sphere spells plus their elemental-sphere spells.

There are also different equipment restrictions but that won't matter to multiclass characters.

Jim Cojones, did you miss the guy gathering salt in the area with the Dragon landmark?

LPs everywhere, is it due to the summer holidays? I feel like doing one for Ultima Underworld 2, which I consider to be the best game ever. I even have the discs, manual and hint book.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@Mighty Mouse: yes, but that was my point: Andhaira said that druids > clerics, I wanted to know why. Thanks on correcting me w.r.t. Turn Undead, though.

Also, please do the UU2 LP!

Andhaira

Arcane
@Mighty Mouse: Yes plaese! I never finished Ultima Underworld 2 so a LP would be fantastic. But play a magic using character, not a boring fighter. (I suggest a paladin)

@Elwro: Druids have a better spell list :)

Though in the pnp game clerics are superior (though I prefer druids) save for in 4th edition (where its harder to make a comparison. Clerics have the edge becuase they are leaders while druids are controllers, but druids have stryker as a secondary role...so its tough to compare.)

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Mighty Mouse said:
Jim Cojones, did you miss the guy gathering salt in the area with the Dragon landmark?
I missed him first time but found him when I was returning to Teaquetzl. I didn't post it because it was only few dialogue lines and it will be more clear what I'm doing if I post it right before buying a mastyrial. And it would be nice to find the place in the north where the birds live first.

Do the UU2 LP!

Ammar

Scholar
I'd recommend a Druid for UW 2, but that's just personal preference. I'd also enjoy watching a Mage without any weapon skills.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter IX: Freedom Fighter

We're heading south from the red sands just to find out that we haven't move far enough to change the landscape.
dsun8001.jpg

This is the group on the north west:
dsun8002.jpg

I'm sure I've already met similar guys before.

And the two groups on the south west:
dsun8003.jpg

dsun8004.jpg

Let's meet the first one.
dsun8005.jpg

Now I know why they did look like someone familiar.

dsun8006.jpg

We'll kick some asses here. But first...

dsun8007.jpg

Worth checking later.

The giants can deal decent damage but the fact that I could use a bridge to confuse AI mad combat easy. It will be more demanding with the southern group but only a little more.

dsun8008.jpg

dsun8009.jpg

My new "allies" are fantastic at helping giants. Here you can see how Tank lost two turn. First when I didn't realised he was blocked, second because he was the last one to move in the first round and the first in the second round. Now that I think about it I could tell him to wait until the end of the round. I feel ashamed.
dsun8010.jpg

Did I mentioned that only my warriors and giants were fighting? I really could use some help. Staying in a one place and starring at me doesn't count as helping.

dsun8011.jpg

dsun8012.jpg

Finally, just after the fight ends, the caravan guards come from nowhere. I guess they were hiding behind some rocks and waiting until someone kill all the bandits.
dsun8013.jpg

dsun8014.jpg

dsun8015.jpg

dsun8016.jpg

Time to visit the dungeons under the bridge!

dsun8029k.jpg

That's an original name!

dsun8030.jpg

"Though they were warned of Tristram, a few brave souls have ventured into the chaotic labyrinth beneath."

dsun8031i.jpg

dsun8033.jpg

dsun8034.jpg

Wrinkled dress is the least of your problems. In case you haven't realised, you're dead, babe.

dsun8035.jpg

dsun8036.jpg

dsun8037.jpg

No problem. Just give me a minute to dig it out from a thousand tons of sand. I'm not sure if the other ghost will be happy when he see her in this state of mind.

dsun8038.jpg

dsun8039.jpg

dsun8040.jpg

dsun8041.jpg

dsun8042.jpg

dsun8043.jpg

dsun8044.jpg

dsun8045m.jpg

Heart crystals mission status: 1/2.

After visiting the north east area we can move north to find some beautiful butterflies. One swing of a huge sword is enough to kill one of them and collect its wings.
dsun8017u.jpg

dsun8018.jpg

It was only a single butterfly!

dsun8019.jpg

dsun8020.jpg

Good thing I don't have wings.

dsun8021.jpg

dsun8022.jpg

dsun8023.jpg

Do I know you? Oh, yes... You're that annoying announcer.
dsun1013.jpg

dsun8024.jpg

dsun8025.jpg

dsun8026s.jpg

dsun8027.jpg

dsun8028.jpg

Did I mentioned Draj's guards are one of the least dangerous enemies? Should've given me the money.

We'll have enough time to dig out the treasure. Now we'll move farther north.

dsun8049.jpg

dsun8046.jpg

dsun8047.jpg

dsun8048j.jpg

dsun8050.jpg

dsun8051.jpg

Say, nice hair.
Oh, well thank you.

dsun8052.jpg

dsun8053.jpg

dsun8054.jpg

dsun8055.jpg

dsun8056.jpg

dsun8057.jpg

dsun8058.jpg

dsun8059.jpg

Power of diplomacy. If I weren't cautious here (and I weren't for the first time) I could've ended fighting all the guards. I could even be forced to fight with all of the camp with my bare hands but that would take a different level of stupidity (you end asked to give all your equipment and go to the slave pens).

dsun8060.jpg

dsun8061.jpg

dsun8062.jpg

dsun8063.jpg

dsun8064.jpg

Reinforcements didn't help him much.

dsun8065.jpg

dsun8066.jpg

dsun8067u.jpg

dsun8068q.jpg

I proposed he'd help me finding another allies.

dsun8069.jpg

dsun8070e.jpg

dsun8071.jpg

dsun8072.jpg

dsun8073.jpg

dsun8074.jpg

dsun8000.jpg

Elwro

Arcane
It's nice you took this solution to the slaver issue, it was quite surprising for me you could just interrupt that conversation... there are at least 2 more potentially combat-heavy areas where proper approach to dialogue will be very worth it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's cool you recruited them. Now you should go North to the caravan.
But then you should really backtrack and either go West (Bandit Castle areas) or East (Magera Temple areas). There are badass items to get in both, but in the eastern area you can get the best armor, in addition to 2 very good weapons... 3 actually now that I think about it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter X: Sleeping Beauty

Let's buy some stuff from a nearby trading caravan.

dsun10001.jpg

dsun10002.jpg

dsun10003.jpg

dsun10004.jpg

dsun10005.jpg

We'll leave caravan master for later and first visit all the other merchants.

This guy was quite useful - he sells some items of unknown power, including some gems - one of them may be the crystal for the ghost - and a special teleporting gem for the nearest obelisk.
dsun10006.jpg

dsun10007.jpg

dsun10008.jpg

dsun10009.jpg

dsun10010.jpg

dsun10011.jpg

dsun10012.jpg

dsun10013.jpg

dsun10014.jpg

I could guess the same future for me and save 35 coins. Never mind, money doesn't mean much in a game, at least until now.

dsun10015.jpg

That's very kind of you, sir.

dsun10016.jpg

Not so kind?

dsun10017.jpg

Fuck!

We'll try find some more about the soldiers but don't expect anything unusual - they're just some Draj's man, one of the group sent to deal with a problem. And it seems my humble party is one of the biggest Draj's problems - nice thing to hear but maybe it would be nicer if I wasn't lying unarmed in the centre of a desert.

dsun10018.jpg

dsun10019.jpg

dsun10020.jpg

dsun10021.jpg

dsun10022.jpg

dsun10023.jpg

dsun10024.jpg

The monsters are much more dangerous but killing soldiers mean we can take their weapon so it seemed to be better tactic to take at least two of them first.

Now we should kill the trader but something tells me it wouldn't be understood by other merchants. We should meet the caravan master first so we make good first impression and she'll believe us more likely during the confrontation with the poisoner.
dsun10025.jpg

dsun10026.jpg

dsun10027.jpg

dsun10028.jpg

dsun10029.jpg

dsun10030.jpg

dsun10031.jpg

dsun10032.jpg

We'd do it even if she hadn't asked so why not get some additional gratification.

dsun10033.jpg

dsun10034.jpg

dsun10035.jpg

dsun10036.jpg

dsun10037.jpg

dsun10038.jpg

Damn! I'd kill him without hesitation if not the other merchants here.

dsun10039.jpg

dsun10040.jpg

dsun10041.jpg

dsun10042.jpg

dsun10043.jpg

dsun10044.jpg

dsun10045.jpg

dsun10046.jpg

dsun10047.jpg

dsun10048.jpg

dsun10000.jpg

In the next update we'll destroy an evil wizard whose power is a threat for all the living creatures!

VentilatorOfDoom said:
With Dagolar dead, one of the 2 high level defilers who would like to rule Athas is DEAD.
Now what about the other one? He has demons and stuff...
It will be an update with epic combat encounters, daemons, ghosts, giants and multi-headed <s>dicks</s> living stone monuments! More than a hundred pictures! And it's almost ready to post!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It will be an update with epic combat encounters, daemons, ghosts, giants and multi-headed dicks living stone monuments! More than a hundred pictures! And it's almost ready to post!

I'm looking forward to it! I can almost feel the gritty, dark and mature athmosphere, right down my spine...

Don't forget to create the evul poison dagger, save or die is always pretty mature (gritty/dark) property for a weapon.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I had some problems with using the items on the bowl but I managed to create it. It is difficult to miss the opportunity if you read all the books in the location.

How many posts do we have? A little too less to think about going to the next page. I guess I will post the next chapter on the same one, nobody will die because of it. It probably won't be more than 10 MB on this page. But I need some sleep now.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
I had some problems with using the items on the bowl but I managed to create it. It is difficult to miss the opportunity if you read all the books in the location.

How many posts do we have? A little too less to think about going to the next page. I guess I will post the next chapter on the same one, nobody will die because of it. It probably won't be more than 10 MB on this page. But I need some sleep now.

I had problems too, you have to read the book - true, but it is in the same room so... but then you have to stand really close to the tub for the dagger-creation dialogue to trigger...

Elwro

Arcane
I hope you did explore the fascinating possibility of siding with the guy whom you have to kill to make the uber-dagger. It's quite funny.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The game's pretty much gives me good fun in doing quests and resorting to violence when things don't work out. I still remember crashing after beating the final wave of baddies in the finale. Happens everytime but at least I knew I beat the game with a lot of stuff undone.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter XI: Eric

In which not everything goes according to plans.

This should be interesting...
dsun468.jpg

...but first, we stop for a small chat with lizardmen.

dsun469.jpg

dsun470.jpg

dsun471.jpg

dsun472.jpg

dsun473.jpg

No time to waste on killing some ghosts. To the cave!

dsun474.jpg

dsun475.jpg

dsun476.jpg

dsun477.jpg

Such is a power of diplomacy.

dsun478.jpg

dsun479.jpg

dsun480.jpg

dsun481.jpg

Not very helpful.

dsun482.jpg

dsun483.jpg

dsun484.jpg

dsun485.jpg

No problem but, as you can see, there is another route leading south (I'm in the south east corner). Since I was asked to go east, south seems to be much more interesting direction.

dsun486.jpg

And here we have...
dsun487.jpg

...daemons!

dsun488.jpg

And another ghost.

The daemons don't look too friendly but I'm sure I can get something from talking to ghost.
dsun489.jpg

dsun490.jpg

dsun491.jpg

dsun492.jpg

dsun493.jpg

dsun494.jpg

dsun495.jpg

Annoying fucker! Now I have to hear his story from the beginning. Off course we'll skip to the end.
dsun496.jpg

dsun497.jpg

Well let's see. Balkazar is:
- powerful,
- dangerous,
- rich.
That's more than enough to kill him without any stupid excuses like justice.

dsun498.jpg

dsun499.jpg

dsun500.jpg

dsun501.jpg

dsun502.jpg

dsun503.jpg

dsun504.jpg

To Balkazar.

dsun505.jpg

Let's see what do we have here.
dsun506.jpg

dsun507.jpg

An island north to the entrance.

dsun508.jpg

A single house by the abyss - the old wizard is probably Balkazar.

dsun509.jpg

And the rooms on the south east. Sweet!

But first...
dsun510.jpg

And he vanishes.

We're stopped again...
dsun511.jpg

...and again.
dsun512.jpg

dsun513.jpg

dsun514.jpg

dsun515.jpg

dsun516.jpg

After dealing with the last inconvenience we get to the house.

dsun517.jpg

dsun518.jpg

dsun519.jpg

dsun520.jpg

dsun521.jpg

dsun522.jpg

dsun523.jpg

Fantastic, just fantastic. The unconscious cleric blocks the way to the house. Reload.

dsun524.jpg

It's better to interfere because it leads to a fight with two babaus and one magera instead of three babaus. Daemons are much more difficult enemies because their attacks can destroy my armour (I can deal with it, I don't have any unusual yet) and weapons, including magical ones. So we not only have to win fight but also avoid being hit at least once. Fighting without weapons isn't a valid choice - it is guaranteed deat of all my men. Did I mentioned that babaus are one of the toughest regular enemies so far? And have some magical immunities? Summoned creatures helps a lot at preventing babaus from attacking me (but they're extremely weak in comparison to daemons and are destroyed within one turn without doing much harm) and so does charming magera but if it wasn't a tough fight then... the next fights here definitely are. Hooray!

dsun525.jpg

dsun526.jpg

dsun527.jpg

dsun528.jpg

dsun529.jpg

dsun530.jpg

No,thanks.

dsun531.jpg

dsun532.jpg

I guess you forgot about daemonic laughter.

dsun533.jpg

dsun534.jpg

The Unnamed One? Sounds interesting. I'd like to see it.

dsun535.jpg

dsun536.jpg

dsun537.jpg

dsun538.jpg

dsun539.jpg

dumbfuck.gif

What if something goes wrong and we'll have to fight against a huge raging daemon? Or against whole army of daemons?

dsun540.jpg

dsun541.jpg

:picard:

dsun542.jpg

dsun543.jpg

dsun544.jpg

dsun545.jpg

The summoned daemons aren't very fast - attack only once per turn - and miss a lot but when they hit... Let's say that the weakest of my men would be dead after two-three hits. If not the fact that this number goes to one attack because of damage taken in previous fights. And the enemies are too close at the start of combat while the room is too small to have any chance to pull the weaker men back. I can win one fight with big difficulties but then Balkazar tries again and...

dsun541.jpg

BTW it wouldn't hurt if Balkazar fought the summoned daemons instead of just looking at my party being slaughtered.

Taking a little breath and go outside to have a rest seems a good idea. Going back we meet magera leaders again.
dsun553.jpg

dsun554.jpg

dsun555.jpg

dsun556.jpg

dsun557.jpg

dsun558.jpg

dsun559.jpg

Hey, I didn't say I'd do this right after speaking with you. You should've waited for your turn. It's not like you're the only ones seeking help.

What if I kill ghosts after getting out of cave? It shouldn't be so hard with turn undead.
dsun585.jpg

dsun586.jpg

What? At least I took a magic ring from the spirits.

After having a nap, we can go back and face Balkazar. At first I tried to check if he'll be able to eventually summon the Unnamed One but five fails in row is an evidence he's too weak. Good, he shouldn't be difficult to kill.

dsun587.jpg

Except I can't hit him but after every my attack he summons another daemon!

Think about it, Jim, what did ghost tell you?

dsun503.jpg

dsun588.jpg

Yes!

dsun589.jpg

dsun590.jpg

Hell yeah! You aren't so tough now, are you?

dsun591.jpg

Let's collect our payment.

dsun592.jpg

dsun600.jpg

dsun601.jpg

dsun602.jpg

dsun603.jpg

This means AC of my fighter is 6 points lower now. Not bad.

In the chapter XII, "Redding Is The Hard" we'll finish our busyness in the caves. See you on the next page! Feel free to spam the thread to get there.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
What is needed to take slaves to the regeneration chamber? I thought magera leaders will let me to do this after I kill the defiler but I don't have any dialogue option about this now and it looks like I will be missing a possibility of bringing dead characters back to life. :-(

Fezzik

Cipher
If I remember it right, it pretty much comes down to talking to the blind magera in the lower left corner of the base. He organizes it with you.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
You have to speak to the blind magera first, he will brief you in the situation and hint that you might find help from Tanelyv. Tanelyv will request that you help make the temple *holy* again or whatever.... You go back to Old Blind one and lead him to the healing chamber - which will complety restore him (it can also completely restore - even resurrect - your party, any time you wish after that). Formerly blind one will want that you lead all the other tongue-less magera-slaves in the healing chamber to be restored as well. The magera will be convinced now that the old temple is true while this transformation nonsense of Balkazar is a fraud. They rebell. There will be a short fight with the evil defiler, or to be more precise with some of his minions. After you healed the magera and the temple is sacred again, all you have to do is getting rid of Balkazar..

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Thanks, I didn't find the blinded magera because after a few slves/workers I was sure there isn't anyone important amongst mageras except the leaders. I was afraid it was something to be done before killing Balkazar but fortunately the game is very elastic and it wasn't a problem, although the dialogue with the blinded one is funny if you've already done everything he's asking.

I am going to check whether a little smaller pics (480x300) are big enough for everything to be easy to read. I don't have any problems but it may differ with other screen sizes and resolutions so give me any info if it is too small:

dsun12002.jpg

I can also upgrade it to the next gen so the contrast between letters and the background. But I'm lazy and won't do that if it's not necessary.

dsun12002.jpg

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
Thanks, I didn't find the blinded magera because after a few slves/workers I was sure there isn't anyone important amongst mageras except the leaders. I was afraid it was something to be done before killing Balkazar but fortunately the game is very elastic and it wasn't a problem, although the dialogue with the blinded one is funny if you've already done everything he's asking.

I am going to check whether a little smaller pics (480x300) are big enough for everything to be easy to read. I don't have any problems but it may differ with other screen sizes and resolutions so give me any info if it is too small:

dsun12002.jpg

I can also upgrade it to the next gen so the contrast between letters and the background. But I'm lazy and won't do that if it's not necessary.

dsun12002.jpg

fine, continue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom