Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - completed

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
Thanks for the support! I guess I'll post sixth chapter after only two more messages.

Turok said:
How is that your party go away??

You lost 2 guys or is just temporal? they come back?
They didn't go away on their own - I told them to do this - they were useless anyway: a preserver without any spells or psi points left and a character with one hit point and without a good melee weapon (you can't harm slimes with bows). And if both characters still fighting turned unconscious while the other ones were far away from slimes, the combat would end with all my characters "magically teleported" to the place where conscious characters were. Probably. It might as well bring them back to a place the party was fighting Dagolar. I'm not sure how does it work. It is good I didn't have to check this or I'd have to reload once again (because I didn't win the battle at the first time).

VentilatorOfDoom said:
With Dagolar dead, one of the 2 high level defilers who would like to rule Athas is DEAD.
Now what about the other one? He has demons and stuff...
I have some suspicions...
avengers.jpg

And your suspicions are?

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter VI: Come in, chosen one

We shall see what are the consequences of killing Dagolar.
dsun6000.jpg

No reaction. I guess I was expecting too much. :(

Never mind, there's no time for whining when we have a chance to get out of sewers and breath the fresh air again. The skull was suggesting using a secret exit to avoid the guards but why would I care about some guards?

There is (was, actually) a group in the sewers...
dsun6001.jpg

...and a second one outside.
dsun6002.jpg

dsun_6_003.jpg

dsun6004.jpg

dsun6005.jpg

dsun_6_006.jpg

dsun6007.jpg

dsun6008.jpg

But I have found only this small group:

dsun6014.jpg

dsun6009.jpg

dsun6010.jpg

dsun6012.jpg

dsun_6_013.jpg

I can't do anything with the obelisk for now but I'd be amazed if it wasn't an important object.

dsun6015.jpg

After meeting the first trader in a game I already have more than 30 000 coins. I couldn't find any more interesting stuff so I can head north, to the wastes.

dsun6016.jpg

dsun_6_017.jpg

dsun6018.jpg

dsun6019.jpg

dsun6020.jpg

dsun6021.jpg

A group of heroes chosen by fate? Who could that be? I should look for them to tell them people are counting on them.

dsun6022.jpg

dsun_6_023.jpg

dsun6035.jpg

This location is quite simple and there's not much interaction but I really like its graphic style.

dsun169.png
dsun179.png
dsun181.png

dsun178.png
dsun177.png

The last pic shows a graphical glitch which occurs quite often in DS. There is only one man but the sprite stays in the place he was a while ago.

dsun6025.jpg

dsun6026.jpg

dsun6027.jpg

dsun6028.jpg

dsun6029.jpg

dsun6030.jpg

dsun6031.jpg

He clearly haven't played any computer game. Come on, how can one ignore a prophecy anticipating a group of chosen heroes will save the lands?

There's another character and after talking with him (her?) we'll go to a village not far north from here.
dsun6037.jpg

scalie00.jpg

He can't go back to his tribe because a tunnel which led to his home collapsed and now he is trying to find a new tribe. I will give the details if it will be relevant to the future events.

dsun6038.jpg

dsun6039.jpg

If playing a tough guy doesn't work for him, I'll try another approach.
dsun6040.jpg

dsun6041.jpg

dsun6042.jpg

dsun6043.jpg

Yes, they must be important.

dsun6044.jpg

Quite a liberal place: some old fart is masturbating in public and nobody have anything against it!

dsun6045.jpg

Yes, I can see, keep working.

Lost update had some crazy men so this one can't be much worse.
dsun6046.jpg

dsun6047.jpg

dsun6048.jpg

Looks like my every day job.

dsun6049.jpg

dsun6050.jpg

dsun6051.jpg

I think I must have it written on my forehead.

dsun6052.jpg

dsun6053.jpg

dsun6054.jpg

dsun6055.jpg

dsun_6_056.jpg

There are whole villages of ex-gladiators? Running away from arena wasn't that easy!

dsun6057.jpg

dsun6058.jpg

dsun6059.jpg

Show some respect to the half-goblin!

dsun6060.jpg

dsun_6_061.jpg

dsun6062.jpg

dsun6063.jpg

dsun6064.jpg

And that's all for this update. Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Explore the well.

Also, I played the game a few times and somehow it never occured to me you could go out of the fields to the north and almost straight to the village. I always took the eastern route... which is perhaps the only place in the game with some challenge (save for the final battle), since you (usually) still have low level chars there.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
30000 coins? So you sold the gloves? These gloves make for a good offhand-weapon.
Right-Hand Els Drinker, left-hand gloves that cause Blindness...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
never sell the large gems (needed for the obilisks - teleporter device), be careful about selling enchanted weaponry - enchanted weapons are rare and you'll need them to hurt certain monsters (fiends/demons and elementals)

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter VII: Actually, it's mostly just desert

In this update I'll <s>be running through the desert and killing things</s> take the advantage from the fact that the world has become much more open: I'll explore the world and probably find a quest or two. And after the update I'll alow you to chose where to go next.

There is another person in the Teaquetzl I haven't already spoken to, the local priest.
dsun7000.jpg

dsun7001.jpg

dsun7002.jpg

I was asked to bring some important ingredient for a potion.

dsun7003.jpg

dsun7004.jpg

I've drawn a map for you so you'll be able to tell where am I and you'll admire my great skills. Unfortunately, I haven't considered the fact that I don't have such skills.

map001.jpg

Some four-eyed dogs. They're rather weak but can paralyse.
dsun7005.jpg

This is the place village cleric ask me to go.
dsun7006.jpg

dsun7007.jpg

He can tell me about the history of magical weapons I'm wielding, like this background:
dsun7012.jpg

And also gave me a gem that I can use on obelisks but haven't realised what can I achieve by doing this.

dsun7013.jpg

dsun7014.jpg

dsun7015.jpg

dsun7016.jpg

dsun7017.jpg

dsun7018.jpg

dsun7019.jpg

dsun7020.jpg

dsun7021.jpg

dsun7022.jpg

dsun7023.jpg

And finally I meet cleric's friend.

dsun7024.jpg

dsun7025.jpg

Which means I have to do the extract. It doesn't matter because it is not a difficult work.

dsun7026.jpg

dsun7027.jpg

dsun7028.jpg

dsun7029.jpg

dsun7030.jpg

Terror bloom? Sounds like decline but he will pay. And "greed is good".

dsun7031.jpg

dsun7032.jpg

dsun7033.jpg

dsun7034.jpg

dsun7035.jpg

To Cerdite!

dsun7036.jpg

Another lizard-man.
dsun7037.jpg

dsun7038.jpg

Looks like losing a tribe is common in these regions.

dsun7044.jpg

dsun7045.jpg

dsun7046.jpg

dsun7047.jpg

dsun7048.jpg

dsun7049.jpg

dsun7050.jpg

When we arrive in Cerdite at last...
dsun7051.jpg

dsun7052.jpg

The last time I visited the village, it was so prosperous I considered retiring there.
Much has changed. The locals should tell us where is the source of attacks.

dsun7053.jpg

dsun7054.jpg

dsun7055.jpg

dsun7056.jpg

dsun7057.jpg

dsun7058.jpg

dsun7059.jpg

The loremaster is busy but we helped during the bandits raid so he finds some time to tell us how to get terror bloom, even though the only purpose one would have in obtaining a terror bloom is to make a deadly poison. I'm sure Notaku's client, uncle Todd, is a reliable person and our actions won't lead to anyone's harm.

dsun7060.jpg

dsun7061.jpg

dsun7062.jpg

dsun7063.jpg

dsun7064.jpg

dsun7065.jpg

dsun7066.jpg

dsun7067.jpg

dsun7091.jpg

Ravager's attacks are strong and destroy armor, he has many hp and can terrify enemies. After killing the beast we'll talk to the village leader.

dsun7068.jpg

dsun7069.jpg

dsun7070.jpg

dsun7071.jpg

dsun7072.jpg

dsun7073.jpg

dsun7074.jpg

dsun7075.jpg

dsun7076.jpg

dsun7077.jpg

Is this guy Krikor?
dsun7078.jpg

dsun7079.jpg

Nope.

So he must be the one I'm searching for.

dsun7084.jpg

dsun7085.jpg

dsun7086.jpg

dsun7087.jpg

dsun7088.jpg

dsun7089.jpg

dsun7090.jpg

We'll come back here later.

dsun7092.jpg

Decline points: +1.

dsun7093.jpg

dsun7094.jpg

You should remember where one of mastyrials is. I can buy it for salt.

dsun7095.jpg

dsun7096.jpg

dsun7097.jpg

dsun7098.jpg

dsun7099.jpg

dsun7100.jpg

dsun7101.jpg

dsun7102.jpg

We should look at the beautiful map again:

map001.jpg

So where do we go next? My propositions are:
- explore the well in Teaquetzl,
- attack the bandits' castle,
- go to the Gedron (northwest from Teaquetzl) and deliver the extract,
- explore the eastern parts of the desert.

crakkie

Arcane
I can't remember how far I got. I know I never finished it (I think I lost my saves and the thought of going through dagolar's lair again was too much). I'm pretty sure I found the terror bloom (remember fighting ravager in a painted desert), and I believe I stopped in the bandit's castle.

So go there.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I suggest you go east now. You might as well explore the well first.

You didn't give corn to the starving Celdrite people - although you could find a lot of these corn sacks in Dagolars lair. Then you've been impolite to Chaya and she did not give you her treasure chest. Choices and Consequences.

Elwro

Arcane
Shh, he doesn't know anything about the dragon's eye yet.

I'd suggest checking out the well in Teaquetzl and then going to see what's going on in the south-eastern part of the desert. (East of the fields.)

(Although in my last playthrough I first finished the Gedron business and dealing with the Cedrilte bandits was one of the last things I did. It's nice the game permits doing stuff in various orders.)

@crakkie: Dagolar's lair is entirely optional.

Waterd103

Novice
Personal i found darksun shattered lands to be the best rpg.
I really wonder why more RPGS didn't use a lot of the darksun good points.
It has a lot of options to solve things, all fights are meaningfull (there is no grind or filler fights wtih rats and stuff). The dialogs are fun. The game has a lot of variety (you fill find that you will find new monsteres with new abilites all the time). The story, problems and solutions make sense.

The combat system is easy to use, there is a lot of freedom in the game. I think shattered lands is an example to follow in rts, but no one did, i wonder why.

Bad things? It was completly unbalanced, some spells are super imba, and other spells are useless, same with psionics. Also, there was little benefit on no multiclassing, finally how the stats worked was horrible. Charisma is practically useless, intelligence is pretty much useless and Strength scalates in the most stupid way possible.Shopping in general is badly done. Also the character creation made no sense.

I always wished someone modded the game to fix all the unbalanced stuff, sadly, it never happend.

Elwro

Arcane
Well, I found charisma useful in at least two conversations, where it allowed me to skip two major fights. Intelligence is sometimes useful when deciphering old texts - the game makes a stat-check.

Also, if you're playing a druid or preserver you need the stats to have the 10% XP bonus.

As for not multiclassing: I chose not to multiclass my gladiator since that class gets nifty (not properly documented) combat bonuses at higher levels - more attacks, faster attacks etc. After the whole playthrough, I think it was worth it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
Blood Omen (if I find why the game freezes sometimes after cutscenes)

Had the same problem for a while, but all you need to do is alt-tab to make it defreeze.

dsun4a014.jpg

Classic

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Darth Roxor said:
Jim Cojones said:
Blood Omen (if I find why the game freezes sometimes after cutscenes)
Had the same problem for a while, but all you need to do is alt-tab to make it defreeze.
It didn't work for me because I wasn't even able to use alt-tab. This problem has been solved with a fan made patch which I did use but it didn't work for some reason. Everything runs fine after reinstallation.

At least the game doesn't tell you to look for the specific paragraph in the manual to check the details of the story every five minutes.

ghostdog said:
Are you sure it was a good move to look for the Terror BLOOM ?
Jim Cojones said:
I'm sure Notaku's client, uncle Todd, is a reliable person and our actions won't lead to anyone's harm.

I have some free time today (and I will be rather busy during next days) so I will prepare an update. But it would be nice if there were a few votes more and I wouldn't have to decide from the tied options - you have an hour or two to before I start playing.

xantrius

Liturgist
Thanks for LP. Seems like quite a charming game, I'd ought to try it out at some point; now if only I could finish my studies of that time-stop spell and make it work in practice ...

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Well, do ya, punk?

Chapter VIII: Well, do ya, punk?

Very short, not much comment from me but I guess it's better than nothing.

dsun8001.jpg

dsun8002.jpg

Wow, I was thirsty.

dsun8003.jpg

Not much to do here, in the picture you can see the only room I can access at the moment. I will be able to get to other parts of the level later.
dsun8004.jpg

On the other note, I managed to find out how does teleportation work in the game so the gem lying on the floor will be useful.

dsun8005.jpg

dsun8006.jpg

dsun8007.jpg

dsun8008.jpg

dsun8009.jpg

dsun8010.jpg

dsun8011.jpg

dsun8012.jpg

dsun8013.jpg

dsun8014.jpg

dsun8015.jpg

dsun8016.jpg

I was hoping for explaining how does such crystal look so I'd known when I found one.

dsun8017.jpg

dsun8018.jpg

dsun8019.jpg

dsun8020.jpg

dsun8021.jpg

dsun8022.jpg

dsun8023.jpg

Yes, you've said that just five seconds before.

dsun8000.jpg

Next time we'll be fighting NMA!

Andhaira

Arcane
Ah yes, this is the only pace in the game where turn undead is truly useful. I wuiped out the entire bunch of shades with only 1 turn undead. (basically, druids are superior to clerics in this game)

Elwro

Arcane
Well, for a low level party Turn Undead is really useful in Dagolar's Lair, too.

Why are druids superior to clerics? Being able to cast Cure Serious Wounds is one thing, but what about other differences? Is their Turn Undead ability better or what?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jeesh, what a wordy ghost...

And the girl's name is Tristram? There's a twist on a classic tale, I guess.

Fight NMA? FOR THE GLORY OF THE CODEX!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom