Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - completed

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter IV: Don't trust the skull

Remember when I mentioned Mizquetzl had blinding attacks? I have just realised Tank won't be able to see until cleric gains 3 level spells. This sucks.
dsun4a003.jpg

During defence of the skull temple, as previously, we fight against against the furrys in brown clothing while the other ones try to help:
dsun_4_000.jpg

dsun_4_001.jpg

The first three die quickly and we can use the door to avoid fighting more than one ratman at once.
dsun4002.jpg

If only this retard moved a little!

Fortunately there is another way to the temple but we have to waste a lot of time. In the end we're victorious again.

dsun_4_003.jpg

dsun4004.jpg

dsun4005.jpg

dsun4006.jpg

dsun4007.jpg

dsun4008.jpg

Now to the elders.
dsun4009.jpg

dsun4010.jpg

dsun4011.jpg

dsun4012.jpg

Not sure why would I want to say no but the effect could be interesting. But mummy told me never to lie.

skullrzq.png
You're worthy of great praise! How can the elders help you?

avsmall.jpg
I seek guidance.

skullrzq.png
To provide guidance is our sole purpose, as Dagolar instructed. Our knowledge is great, our wisdom profound. Ask, and we shall enlighten you.

avsmall.jpg
Who is Dagolar?

skullrzq.png
Dagolar is a man of infinite knowledge. It was he who preserved our thoughts in these bones. Dagolar is the reason for the Tari.

Sound like someone I'd like to meet.

avsmall.jpg
You mean Dagolar made the Tari?

skullrzq.png
Such knowledge is forbidden to the uninitiated.

avsmall.jpg
Where is Dagolar?

skullrzq.png
The answer to your question is beyond your understanding.

avsmall.jpg
He must be close by, though, right?

skullrzq.png
That is only logical since we take our dead to him. But you cannot enter his domain without the Staff of Parting.

avsmall.jpg
What is the Staff of Parting?

skullrzq.png
The Staff of Parting allows our guardians to enter Dagolar's domain beneath the water, but you have not the years of wisdom to understand its magic.

avsmall.jpg
Where do I find the Staff of Parting?

skullrzq.png
Some questions are better left unasked.

avsmall.jpg
Please, tell me where to find this staff.

Some diplomacy options in this game are amazing: "Tell me." "No." "Please?" "OK."

skullrzq.png
Very well. You have done much for us. The Staff of Parting is in that drain in the wall. Take it to the pool in the north east corner of the flushing tunnels. It will reveal the entrance to Dagolar's Domain.

avsmall.jpg
Some questions must be asked, yes?

skullrzq.png
The wisdom of the elders must be given out carefully, Young minds are fragile.

avsmall.jpg
How did he reanimate you?

skullrzq.png
The answer to your question is too complicated and would take too long to explain.

avsmall.jpg
I'm in no rush. Please, explain it.

Yes, the following response doesn't have anything to do with the question. No, I didn't cut out any part of the dialogue.
skullrzq.png
Is there anything more you want to ask?

avsmall.jpg
Can you help me escape the sewers?

dsun4025.jpg

dsun4026.jpg

dsun4027.jpg

dsun4028.jpg

dsun4029.jpg

dsun4030.jpg

The flashing tunnels are the only not explored yet location in the area so that's were we're heading now.

And finally a chance to find out how thief climbing ability works:
dsun4a000.jpg

dsun_4a_001.jpg

dsun_4a_002.jpg

I found a magic axe in the lair of another easy monster. But this trap was more tricky:
dsun4a004.jpg

Slimes deal more than ten damage in one hit so it's highly probable attacked will be killed instead of turning unconscious. They are also able to cast web which not only prevents from walking but also from any other action. And have some immunities, at least I wasn't able to harm them with fireball.
dsun4a005.jpg

dsun4a006.jpg

But these ones will be prefect material to test the recently gained spell:
dsun_4a_007.jpg

And I am able to kill them from distance while they fight a good summoned elemental:
dsun4a008.jpg

dsun4a009.jpg

dsun4a010.jpg

So we could go out from the sewers but we haven't been to Dagolar lair yet.

dsun4a011.jpg

dsun4a012.jpg

dsun4a013.jpg

Fantastic! A challenge!

dsun4a014.jpg

... And people are bitching about DRM these days. Let's check:

manual.jpg

dsun4a015.jpg

In the next chapter:

We'll try to free another group of prisoners!
dsun050.png

And face horrible and almost indestructible monsters!*
dsun062.png

Gore! Blood! Brother fighting against the brother! The most dark and gritty LP update ever!

*Actual power of monsters might not match the description.

Last edited:

Jim Cojones

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Also there are fruits to restore Psipoints.
Lemons. But I think their amount will be very limited because of the setting.

How big is the game in terms of number of the areas? So far I have explored only two in the LP (slave pens plus sewers, maybe arena could also count) and haven't presented that but I've been to the next one. And I've already advanced to 7 level with characters who aren't multi-classing.

Is the sequel any good?

Turok

Erudite
This LP and the Doom like LP are really good.

Funny i remember i try to play this game, but my system was not good to run it, it gimme errors, not sure if was emm386 error or something like that, i think was because i got 4 mb ram on those time on my poor pc. or was less, really dont remember :D

ecliptic

Liturgist
Jim Cojones said:
How big is the game in terms of number of the areas? So far I have explored only two in the LP (slave pens plus sewers, maybe arena could also count) and haven't presented that but I've been to the next one. And I've already advanced to 7 level with characters who aren't multi-classing.

Is the sequel any good?

It's been about thirteen or fourteen years, but my gut says there's probably 16-20+ areas. After escaping the sewers, I remember mapping each cell of the overworld to keep it straight on paper, and it took up the better part of an 8x11.

The sequel was great fun, but unfortuantely was very buggy. I'd recommend playing it if you enjoy this one, but keep lots of save backups cycling, and read the up so you know to avoid the game-breakers.

I had a game of Wake of the Ravager about 80% finished, but one of the main quest keys simply vanished when the NPC carrying it went MIA. I suppose that's what I get for doing things out of order.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If you don't multiclass, you'll quickly reach the maximal XP level. If you want to reach it just before the endgame (which is not necessary the best idea), you should TRIPLE-class. (I had a fighter-thief-preserver who was the last char to gain any level - at least 12 hours after my single-class gladiator stopped advancing.) Having two classes is fine.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jim Cojones said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Also there are fruits to restore Psipoints.
Lemons. But I think their amount will be very limited because of the setting.

Is the sequel any good?

You have a long way to go, you might have finished 10% of the game so far. Cool areas and lots of things to do are still to come.
Number of areas? I count in my head 25 areas - when you come out of the sewers , but maybe I forget something.

So you will max out your characters way before the end. Just make sure to go to Tequila Village or however this was called, and don't go to the Magera Mines before you brought the Doom Blossom to the Alchimist in Red Sands Area. Also make the Gedron-Village areas last. Don't forget to go back to the pens later and rescue Trustee.

The sequel is not quite as awesome but still worth it. Just continue with this LP through DS2 as well!

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Chapter V: And Cain talked with Abel his brother

Chapter V: And Cain talked with Abel his brother

We could taste freedom know that we were told how to get out of the sewers but there's something more to do: visiting mysterious Dagolar's lair!

Another warm welcome:
dsun5001.jpg

These slimes are very similar to the green ones we met before but are probably a little tougher despite the fact we're told they're first level monsters.

dsun5002.jpg

So here we are: we start near the pink entrance and Dagolar's room is in the top left corner. As we can see we'll have to go around.

dsun_5_003.jpg

And we'll be able to use some help against Dagolar. The rat doesn't look trustworthy but we'll stick with him anyway.
dsun5004.jpg

dsun_5_005.jpg

dsun5006.jpg

dsun5007.jpg

dsun_5_008.jpg

dsun_5_009.jpg

dsun5010.jpg

dsun5011.jpg

Leg cloning is a high level ability! Respect, man!

dsun5012.jpg

Finally! A chance to use clerics' abilities against undeads.
dsun5013.jpg

Zombie was hit for 999hp. Zombie is dead.
Zom...

dsun_5_014.jpg

dsun5015.jpg

Here are some necklaces. Guards will have no use for them after we kill them.
dsun5016.jpg

dsun5017.jpg

dsun5018.jpg

dsun5019.jpg

dsun5020.jpg

dsun5021.jpg

dsun5022.jpg

I see the owner tries to show himself as a person of culture. I'm not sure how is it corresponding to living in a sewers in home defended with a moat of lava.

dsun5023.jpg

dsun5024.jpg

dsun_5_025.jpg

Sarcasm detection failed:
dsun5026.jpg

dsun_5_027.jpg

dsun5028.jpg

He run away leaving us with some monsters. And he seemed to be such a charming person. We'll meet him again anyway, so there will be time to get know him more.
dsun5029.jpg

dsun5030.jpg

That's the red-haired psycho again.
dsun5031.jpg

dsun5032.jpg

dsun5033.jpg

dsun5034.jpg

That's the spirit of a true villain! Have I already said I like his style? So now is the time to admit it.

dsun5035.jpg

dsun_5_036.jpg

dsun5037.jpg

And once again he run away and we had to fight identical group of foes. Turn undead is useful in this area.

Prepare for a dialogue that strongly resembles some Torment experiences.
dsun5038.jpg

dsun5039.jpg

dsun5040.jpg

dsun5041.jpg

dsun5042.jpg

dsun5043.jpg

dsun_5_044.jpg

dsun5045.jpg

dsun_5_046.jpg

dsun_5_047.jpg

dsun_5_048.jpg

dsun5049.jpg

dsun5050.jpg

dsun5051.jpg

dsun5052.jpg

dsun5053.jpg

dsun5054.jpg

dsun_5_055.jpg

dsun5056.jpg

dsun5057.jpg

dsun5058.jpg

Another filler combat encounter:
dsun5059.jpg

And we can deal with the prisoners.
dsun5060.jpg

Ouch. Next time we'll try to talk to one of the prisoners without having an amulet.

dsun5061.jpg

dsun5062.jpg

dsun5063.jpg

dsun5064.jpg

dsun5065.jpg

I should have bought a fire extinguisher when I had a chance. What will I do know when there's no possibility to come back?
dsun5066.jpg

I will wait until somebody helps me.
dsun_5_067.jpg

dsun5068.jpg

Here's the owner of this place. I don't think he's happy to see us.
dsun_5_069.jpg

dsun_5_070.jpg

dsun_5_071.jpg

dsun_5_072.jpg

dsun_5_073.jpg

dsun5074.jpg

I will miss him. Dagolar will pay.

dsun_5_075.jpg

dsun5076.jpg

dsun5077.jpg

dsun5078.jpg

dsun5079.jpg

dsun5080.jpg

dsun5081.jpg

dsun_5_082.jpg

dsun5083.jpg

dsun_5_084.jpg

Retreat! Retreat!

dsun5085.jpg

Dagolar isn't difficult to kill if he's hit every round what prevents him from casting spells. On the other side, his slimes...

Control body allow me to make some of them fight each other but still there were plenty of them to attack me.

dsun5086.jpg

dsun_5_087.jpg

Have you noticed there're only two members of my party on the screen? Other two had run away so I'll be able to avoid defeat even if other two party members' hp hit zero. Off course there still is a chance they'll be killed instead of turning unconscious.

dsun_5_088.jpg

Victory!

dsun5000.jpg

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Keldar is a really funny NPC.

On a side note, what are your dosbox settings, Jim? I remember the game having speed problems and when I increased the CPU cycles , the sound went out of sync. In the end , I had to play it without sound.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I play with standard 3000 cycles and sometimes it gets a bit slower but the games run fine for the most time. Probably because I play with animations turned off. I checked how it works with more cycles and didn't have any problems with sound although I couldn't go to another location (nothing happened when I approached the edge of the map) and I'm not sure if it this change was the reason or was it just a random bug.

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The sequel is not quite as awesome but still worth it. Just continue with this LP through DS2 as well!
I will try but after finishing the game I'll probably check Strife (thanks for LP, Ghostdog!) or Blood Omen (if I find why the game freezes sometimes after cutscenes) and play DS2 after that. Although I can change my mind, off course, and there's a chance I'll continue LP with the sequel without taking a break.

Wyrmlord said:
I am detecting inordinate amounts of furfaggery in this section of thread.

Seriously, good god, it's nibblers everywhere.
Don't worry, there will be scalies, too.

And one question, should I wait with the next update (there's already about 140 pics on one page), or does anyone want
Major_Boobage said:
MOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
now?

Zomg

Arbiter
It would be pretty uncool for me to do that for two posts in a row tho

Turok

Erudite
How is that your party go away??

You lost 2 guys or is just temporal? they come back?

Nice update, keep going and thanks :D

Señor Cojones if you can put more today is welcome :D

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Zomg said:

I also think posts just to get a new page are lame. That's why this post very specifically isn't for that purpose, no sir.

That said: more.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
With Dagolar dead, one of the 2 high level defilers who would like to rule Athas is DEAD.
Now what about the other one? He has demons and stuff...

Turok

Erudite
VentilatorOfDoom said:
With Dagolar dead, one of the 2 high level defilers who would like to rule Athas is DEAD.

Who know, lets see whats comming next.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Thanks for the support! I guess I'll post sixth chapter after only two more messages.

Turok said:
How is that your party go away??

You lost 2 guys or is just temporal? they come back?
They didn't go away on their own - I told them to do this - they were useless anyway: a preserver without any spells or psi points left and a character with one hit point and without a good melee weapon (you can't harm slimes with bows). And if both characters still fighting turned unconscious while the other ones were far away from slimes, the combat would end with all my characters "magically teleported" to the place where conscious characters were. Probably. It might as well bring them back to a place the party was fighting Dagolar. I'm not sure how does it work. It is good I didn't have to check this or I'd have to reload once again (because I didn't win the battle at the first time).

VentilatorOfDoom said:
I have some suspicions...
avengers.jpg

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I remember playing the heck out of Wake of the Ravager. Bought it based on the review of Shattered Lands, figured the sequel ought to be good fun. And while it might've been buggy (never saw the bugs myself), I finished it several times.

Wait, that's a lie. I saw one bug. Where you could repeatedly unearth a grave somewhere, and it kept on giving you xp. I abused that to redo my party, and reroll with fighter/preserver/clerics and have them all hit l15 in all three classes.
I was young and impressionable. But it sure did make the final battle that much easier.
Come to think of it, I must've had at least 1 druid, as I remember casting 'harm' on the end-boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom