Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty Armored Princess

Luzur

Good Sir
but, why wear armour when it leaves a huge hole across your chest? might aswell go naked or with just a loincloth.

weird fantasy fantasies.

relootz

Scholar
So...

Any news on a retail release? i read something about a duopacket KB:TL and Armored Princess?

made

Arcane
made said:
Looks like this game ain't too popular on teh codex; anyway question for the pros:

I'm playing a mage (as opposed to warrior in TL) on normal and I'm having a tough time finding battles that aren't classified as invincible, or at best, lethal, which make me lose the majority of my troops. Is the game just harder than Legend? L2P issue? Mage gimp compared to warrior?

Actually, it turns out I was playing on hard not normal. Had to cheat in a few hundred k gold to fund troop replacements and gear. Game 2 hard 4 me. :(

Big Nose George

Educated
Dudes, when you read it, tell me how you played!

Got my first 50 lossless fights in the first 60-70 fights. Some fights had to restart cause AI goes aggro on red cactus preferably.

What I did, most often used, non-exclusive tactics:
(number dont reflect how often used)

1. egg -> wake -> egg
- if you walk into a fight with enough rage
2. summon animals *2
- basic, very often at beginnig
3. summon demons
- very cheap manawise when i found it at verona in some store, often midgame
4. raise dead
- cheap at some point for me it was not long
5. 1 dragon, invis, armageddon, heal
- when you dont have much leadership, just a funny experiment
6. get a summon to get critted, mirror pain
- works wonders on unbeatable (without losses) numbers
7. fear against huge lvl1-2 creatures
- cheaply stall them for time
8. phantom lvl4 grifffons, red cactus
- summon, summon, summon, used only a few times for giggles
9. hypno, kamikaze
- first buys time, second deals cheap dmg
10. teleport forward ghost or vampires that replentish themself, "always crit on enemy" spell
- could die if enemy focuses on them
11. ressurect, reset time
- epic spells you only get later, lvl40

My fav core units:
Red inquisitors - can resurect, raise rage
Paladins - let inquisitors raise rage a second time per turn
Red cactus - summon cheap cactus
Red Griffons - summons griffons
Beholders - control for 1 attack
Necros - raise dead
Demons - summon demons
Demonologist - summon demons

Run past enemies to find spells or high level creatures! For example, I ran to Verona and if you circle it, you'll find a place to go on land and you can buy there lvl4 griffons and red cactus thingies. Both creatures summon for you. I still have both types of them in my army at level 45. Red cactus in combination with a head gear that gives them 100% to damage works wonders. Especially when you have 2000 of those pesky little green cactus thingies nya and they make 25.000 dmg crits.
Again run around stores just to get spells. As soon as you have a map of Verona, try to run for Summon demons and Hypno. Hypno can also be found in an item if you can beat it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The beginning of the game is easily the hardest part. I played on hard but after reaching Verona money just started piling. The problem is in the start you don't have many units to chose from, and those you can buy are low level = die often and need to be replaced.
So in short: get high level units ASAP. Dont rely on lvl 1-2 troops, they will die too much. Dont buy archers (crap hp, high leadership, crap dmg). Use swordsmen and guardsmen and other armored units (droids are excellent).
@made if you run out of money travel to new locations and collect treasure by ship, it often allowed me to buy enough armies to fight new enemies.
And yes, I fought lethal/invincidible enemies for the most part of the game. Its just how the it is in armored princess.

Norfleet

Luzur said:
but, why wear armour when it leaves a huge hole across your chest? might aswell go naked or with just a loincloth.
Well, obviously, it's not really armor, it's some kind of fetishwear. The rules of practicality do not apply to fetishwear.

made said:
Actually, it turns out I was playing on hard not normal. Had to cheat in a few hundred k gold to fund troop replacements and gear. Game 2 hard 4 me. :(
I guess "Hard" is really what it says on the tin.

relootz

Scholar
I am currently level 15 mage on hard and the game is challenging to say the least :). At the moment i am facing 1 very strong, 1 letal and all other opponents invincible.

I hope i am not going to be stuck

Malacal how could u in godsname beat invincible all the time? AI abuse with summons? I cant win vs invincible cause they are 'invincible' get it

Big Nose George

Educated
relootz, just stop. Restart on normal and cheat through to where you were. Its not gonna get any better...

I stopped playing when I last posted. Too many fights again as in Legend. Just to tedious. For giggles, I ran through to some of them bosses and he had 90k! hp and dealt 3-5k dmg every other turn on all! my stacks. I figured that I need quite a few lvls more. So I stopped. I cant even find new tactics. Well, found 1. AI goes pref aggro on Shaman poles that they summon. 2 actually. You can have a big stack of skeleton archers with some item that adds dmg. They deal with their special arrows ability evil dmg. Mostly kill one stack at first turn. Thats where Necros come in.

Ashery

Prophet
relootz said:
I am currently level 15 mage on hard and the game is challenging to say the least :). At the moment i am facing 1 very strong, 1 letal and all other opponents invincible.

Malacal how could u in godsname beat invincible all the time? AI abuse with summons? I cant win vs invincible cause they are 'invincible' get it

I'm at almost exactly the same spot with the same character and difficulty level.

The game may, however, be comparing the strength of your army sans hero. If that's so, that definitely means mages will always be fighting strong/lethal/etc enemies.

Unit wise, all I can say is that orc veterans are a fucking bitch. High initiative and can move across the entire map with running. Royal snakes were amazing early on due to their high initiative (esp with snake boots) and their denial of counterattacks, but are becoming difficult to replace as I'm down to maybe 50 or so left at the snake charmer's house.

Really need to find a new high initiative unit to use. Gotta love locking two high level stacks down with traps and going to town on the weaker troops...Fucking orc veterans...

What kind of skill distribution do you have, Zero?

Current army setup uses inquisitors, paladins, evil beholders, polar bears, and ancient bears (Which replaced my royal snakes). The bears are primarily there to act as cannon fodder due to their large supply. Pain in the ass to constantly sail around replenish the damn bears after every other fight (If not more frequently :\)

made

Arcane
Ashery said:
The game may, however, be comparing the strength of your army sans hero. If that's so, that definitely means mages will always be fighting strong/lethal/etc enemies.

That is indeed the case. With smart use of spells/pet dragon even invincible armies can be quite easy, depending on their unit composition.

What worked for me was having several high hp/high defense units (dragons for example) that could "tank" and be healed every round, minimizing losses. "Cannon fodder" units drain gold reserves very fast.

Ashery

Prophet
made said:
Ashery said:

That is indeed the case. With smart use of spells/pet dragon even invincible armies can be quite easy, depending on their unit composition.

What worked for me was having several high hp/high defense units (dragons for example) that could "tank" and be healed every round, minimizing losses. "Cannon fodder" units drain gold reserves very fast.

Cannon fodder probably wasn't the correct term. I just don't mourn their loss if they happen to die in a fight where some casualties were unavoidable. Evil beholders and paladins, however, are a different matter, as they're still fairly rare. And despite having classified them as being cannon fodder, they're often doing ~15% of my total damage in a fight (Spells and the pet dragon are usually between 15-25% for comparison).

Dragons *can* be healed, but at this point in time they don't do enough damage (Only can have one dragon per stack at this point) and would require me to use my only spell of the round to heal them. Even then, 40 orc veterans would make quick work of that lone dragon.

Gold isn't much of an issue at the moment, either, as I'm getting at least one buried chest per fight. While they're usually just a few hundred gold, I'm frequently getting several thousand at my current level (high teens). Had over 100k in my reserves just recently.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That isn't right Ashery. Dragons, even one dragon, is a very valuable addon to any army. Yes, healing them may waste your turn but heal at level 3 costs only 2 mana. After using their running most units wont be able to even reach a dragon, so by waiting-attacking-moving back in the next turn you can easily outmanouver almost any unit (especially paladins and knights). Dragons hardly ever die so they are cheap to maintain. They have awesome resistances so one stone skin will give them 95% resist = unkillable. Seriously you will notice full enemy stacks dealing 14 dmg to a dragon. Also dragons (red and black) have good aoe attack and aoe skills.

Just don't use level 1-2 units and you will notice that you are ok with money.

And for me the most valuable/rare recruits were necromancers and demonologist. At one point in game I simply ran out of them. A pity since they are one of the best units in the game, with awesome utility spells high initiative and ranged attack.

relootz

Scholar
Ashery said:
relootz said:

I'm at almost exactly the same spot with the same character and difficulty level.

Unit wise, all I can say is that orc veterans are a fucking bitch. High initiative and can move across the entire map with running. Royal snakes were amazing early on due to their high initiative (esp with snake boots) and their denial of counterattacks, but are becoming difficult to replace as I'm down to maybe 50 or so left at the snake charmer's house.

Really need to find a new high initiative unit to use. Gotta love locking two high level stacks down with traps and going to town on the weaker troops...Fucking orc veterans...

What kind of skill distribution do you have, Zero?

Current army setup uses inquisitors, paladins, evil beholders, polar bears, and ancient bears (Which replaced my royal snakes). The bears are primarily there to act as cannon fodder due to their large supply. Pain in the ass to constantly sail around replenish the damn bears after every other fight (If not more frequently :\)

I am a mage, so its understandable that opponents are harder. I have no problems at all fighting very strong, but letal is a whole other area. The casualties are very high on letal because of the incredible numbers of opponents. I fought one letal battle where only the paladins measured 50, thats 11000 point when i only have 3500 points of leadership myself.

armoredprincess.jpg

I have some offensive spells like fireball (level 3 + destruction skill + 50%) but even that only does 1000 damage at the center for 20 mana.

I also wasted some money on artifacts which i shouldnt have so now i hardly have any money left, i think i have maybe 10k left at the moment. And i only have 4 stacks, so it is looking really dire.

My stacks at the moment are :

Inquisitor, demonologist, assasin, cyclops. I had guard droids and repair droids but the repair droids ran out and in my last fight i lost all of my guard droids too.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Whoa, that was non hero fight? Your loses are way too high.

Slow paladins, guardsmen in first turn. Slow should last at least 3 turns and give them 1 move each turn.

Focus fire on marauders as they will reach you first, they have low hp/defense. Use sumoned demons as meatshields. Assasinate archmages.

Time your last hits on stacks for assasins if you use them. But you shouldn't, enemy loves to focus them and they are not cost effective.

When slow ends slow again one stack and finish other. Remember that poison and burning on big stacks is way better than direct damage. Use spells to control battlefield not to decimate oponnents.

Use trap spell to deal damage/waste opponents turn. Use slow. If you need damage use rain of fire not fireball. Change inquisitors to repair droids.

Big Nose George

Educated
Any tips on how to beat the bosses disregarding losses as a level 45 mage?

Magic skilltree is full. I guess I'll try just buying some heavy duty troops and go for direct damage.
282kky1.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Playing a mage and having lots of fun. Although I really miss a resurrection spell. Didn't find it yet but desperately want it.

Currently using 4 emerald dragons and a bunch of archmages, assassins, paladins and royal snakes.

Astaroth

Educated
The Legend was way better. With the rage demons and stuff. I mean, whats the deal with the retarded looking tiny dragon thing? What the hell did the want to achieve by making "cute" dragons?
Dragons are not meant to be cute. The are to be feared, revered, or hated. They are not supposed to be CUTE!!!!!

Compare that pokemon thing with the Reaper of The Legend and you'll know what I mean.BTW I played the Russian release, and have no idea whether they made the dragon any more..imposing....in the more recent English release.I mean A PINK dragon? For fuck's sake...

PS:
1. Resurrection spell IS available.
2. Language conversion packs are available. I found them AFTER I finished my tryst with my limited knowledge of Russian.
3.Nothing's better than elven archers+ Archmages+Paladins/Knights/Berserkers.

cruel

Cipher
<necro>

For some reason today I started thinking about those games, and realized they clearly belong to the 'hidden gem' category and deserve much more attention, so happy to necro the thread. If you're looking for a charming, yet challenging (if played as 'no units lost' self-imposed mode) turn-based fantasy, it's hard to go better than this. Highly recommended.

I see they are dirt cheap as well:

King's Bounty: The Legend
King's Bounty: Armored Princess
King's Bounty: Crossworlds

or 3 pack instead

Crossworlds is basically an enhanced Armored Princess, but not sure if I liked some of the balance changes they made (eg. Goblin Shamans being OP). Playing no-loss also became harder, with so many enemies using spells on your units.

Those games, along with Disciples 2, are one of my best turn-based experiences in last 10 years. If somebody hadn't tried it, it's definitely worth it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played The Legend and Armored Princess. I had a lot of fun with those two. For some reason, I never got hooked on Crossworlds and dumped it after 45 minutes. Maybe I will give it another go some day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom