Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty Armored Princess

Stabwound

Arcane
For the record, this isn't really an expansion, which I guess they're using as justification for the high price. It's stand alone; you don't need the original game to play this at all, and I don't think they combine or interact in any way. You could just by Armored Princess even if you don't own the original.

relootz

Scholar
It's almost impossible to find this game anywhere on the internet though.. No major retailer i checked amazon, play, wow et cetera has any mention of this game.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Now I'm wondering if I should buy it on GG or wait for the boxed copy. There were a few months of difference between the Atari and Nobilis releases.

MetalCraze

Arcane
KB is ridiculously overrated.

It's a boring game full of very bad "quests" and forced combat which is the only way to grind exp to have combat again. There is no exploration, no interesting story to give you a motivation. And combat isn't tactical or anything - you just spam whatever most powerful spell you have. And 0% of replayability as maps are always the same and you must do the same stuff each time you start a game.

The same with Armored Princess which is more of the same.

A huge disappointment after SR where the world was truly living and you had something else to do, not just having mediocre combat.

Micmu

Magister
Lesifoere said:
vazquez595654 said:
I'm not a big HOMM player either, but the charm and presentation of the first one was just enough to get me addicted to it for a while... until I got tired of the battles. That is the biggest flaw with this game. It's basically one battle after another. I wish they had at least one other game system. Maybe having an economy, trading, or delivery quests where you didn't have to always fight. Or maybe some text quests would hide the fact that all you really do in the game is fight over and over again.

Same. After a time, it becomes monotonous, a bit like playing Diablo in singleplayer--too one-dimensional and repetitive, not enough things to manage. An economy system is exactly what it needs.
Same here. Not to mention it's not a strategy game at all.
I'd like to punch anyone who said it's like HoMM. :roll:

1eyedking said:
So basically it's a dumbed-down HoMM with shittier music and art?

No, it's HoMM minus the(extemely retarded) strategy part with better graphics and slighly worse music.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
AP is a standalone expansion. You don't need TL and the games don't 'merge' as campaigns in one program or anything. In terms of a physical release, I am yet to hear of one although I imagine it's coming. Given that the Russian release was 6+ months ago, it is perplexing that there is no physical release yet. If I had to guess, I'd say it won't be out in a box until early next year.

What's this crap about it being a dumbed down HoMM? It's a different style of game entirely, one that has more in common with Disciples 2 (and you can't say that had empire management, can you? :roll: ) The core gameplay is tactical combat, and it does this exceptionally well. If skyway and co were complaining about the storyline I would agree wholeheartedly, but the combat mechanics? What the fuck is wrong with that? :shock:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Because fighting 500 fights is extremely boring especially when that's all that you can do and all fights go down to holding off enemies long enough to spam them all out with fireballs? I dropped the game after ~100 fights because I couldn't take it anymore. I mean I have less than that in a typical 4-5 player HoMM game.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Spamming fireballs only works for the first 2-3 hours of gameplay, if that long. Pretty soon you will find yourself having to change tactics. If you don't like the game because there's too much combat and you don't like that sort of thing, fine, but that's not the same as saying it's a shit game.

To an extent I agree that there was too much grinding in TL, especially around Kordar, the dwarven area. Katauri responded to this very valid criticism by reducing the amount of fights in AP to less than 300. They also made it so that enemies that are weaker than you will run away and if you engage them, you can avoid having to fight them.

There's also a greater proportion of 'special' fights in AP - 5 bosses compared to 3 in TL, more enemy heroes, special guardian stacks that defend maps to new islands, and particular bounty missions.

1eyedking

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Do you think he knows that there was another, original KB game from HoMM creators themselves?
Of course I know. But even the original King's Bounty is shit when compared to HoMM.

AlaCarcuss said:
Great, now there's another thread they can shit all over. Wonder how long it will be before Black, circ and the rest of thier cronies turn up to help?
Thread is about KB:TL/AP, it's already shit, and generic shit at that.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I wonder if Skyway and 1eyedking are the same person.

Black won't probably appear as he is mostly interested in bashing Bioware. It's not like he's trying to be hip and just bash for the sake of bashing.

relootz

Scholar
Even in this thread we are not safe from the whiners.

Who cares if it isnt as tactical as HOMM, i have played more HOMM then you and i still enjoy the 'retarded non tactical combat' and the game overall.

MetalCraze

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Phantasmal said:
Skyway vs 1eyedking: who's worse and why?

Great, now there's another thread they can shit all over. Wonder how long it will be before Black, circ and the rest of thier cronies turn up to help?

Let me make fun of your idiocy kind sir.

It's more like

*circle jerk circle jerk circle jerk*
Metalcraze: well I think the game is overrated and boring because because and because
Zhiuzangi: I think you are incorrect because because and be...
Alacarcuss: OMG skywayz shits in this thread! *shits in this thread by a completely worthless post*

Go bawww in that topic in feedback more, no need to have two.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zhuangzi said:
Spamming fireballs only works for the first 2-3 hours of gameplay, if that long.
I played the game for two days actually which is like 10 hours total. And fireball still worked just as well. Then there was some other spell which was growing in effectiveness too. But my point is that it is better to throw a huge dmg-dealing spell than f.e. try to heal a single unit (out of 200) or cast some debuff because enemies will remain at their very same numbers so they'll kill more of your soldiers than it would've been the other way.
Somehow I don't think that magically changes 5 minutes after I stopped playing.

Pretty soon you will find yourself having to change tactics. If you don't like the game because there's too much combat and you don't like that sort of thing, fine, but that's not the same as saying it's a shit game.
Hundreds of same-ish combat encounters that don't require any real thoughts from a player and nothing else but terribly boring FedEx quests straight from MMOs. Is it anything but a bad game with ridiculous amounts of forced grinding? Because it really scraps the bottom with its design.

Katauri responded to this very valid criticism by reducing the amount of fights in AP to less than 300. They also made it so that enemies that are weaker than you will run away and if you engage them, you can avoid having to fight them.
~300 is still a huge amount and Katauri should've done more instead of reducing the number of combat encounters or making low-level mobs run away. Like giving the game a soul and not just combat-after-combat-after-combat.
Katauri is like Wardell with his remakes - done by the book and thus too vapid.

The game had great potential for exploration - but it isn't there because you just fight every 30 meters of the very small map. The game could've had a strategic part not just "grabbing soldiers from towers". But instead it's just a collection of not really good combat encounters. 100-300-500 of them would've been ok if there was something more to the game.

Just what the heck happened to Katauri since Space Rangers 2 with its hugeass variety of stuff to do?

Zhuangzi

Scholar
Skyway, your criticism boils down to the fact that you don't like the combat. Fair enough. Plenty of others do. I don't think it's fair to compare KB to Galciv etc though, which I agree are soulless spreadsheet sims.

Anyone who's played this game more extensively will tell you that direct damage spells soon lose their effectiveness in comparison to other spells (presumably you played as a Mage, which gives you Fireball 1 in your spellbook). Later on, even Fireball 3 is puny and worthless, and spells like Trap, Phantom and Haste become much more valuable.

Anyway, the demo is out:

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/king-s- ... -available

Apparently the game will be available from Steam and the 1C site for those who don't want to use Gamersgate.

relootz

Scholar
No retail ? What the hell? I wont do a digital buy :evil:

First they take away my Big Boxes and now not even a small one and no price reduction.

How about nooooooooooooooooooooooo. :x

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
ap2.jpg

Atleast they grabbed my attention enough to download the demo. We'll see...

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
GarfunkeL said:
This game should apply to Draq atleast:

YAY.
Turn based + half nekkid things = AWESOME!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom