Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is KoToR worth playing?

Exar Kun

Scholar
I just learned turning off vsync makes KOTOR 2 run so freaking smooth on my PC. I feel like such a retard. The shear beauty of the high frame rate makes me want to do another play through..!

Exar Kun

Scholar
Seriously fuck vsync!! Well at least I have an excuse to do a dark side playthrough, just didn't expect it to be so soon as I beat the game again a few weeks ago.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Dude, it's like Luke vs Vader in ep 6. He wins because of the fact that he is inherently powerful even though he had just become a Jedi.
If we aren't taking the movies on their own (i.e., not ignoring the EU), then Vader only lost because he pretty much threw the fight. EU Vader is a beast, and Luke wasn't that good at that stage.

'Course, the EU can be a silly place, but it's what KotOR is.
Now that I remember, in Force Unleased the protagonist (an emo brooding faggot) beats both Darth Vader and Palpatine, then throws the fight and sacrifices himself.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I always thought Vader lost because he was losing his hatred and feeling love for his son, and thus couldn't command his dark side powers anymore.

Now that I remember, in Force Unleased the protagonist (an emo brooding faggot) beats both Darth Vader and Palpatine, then throws the fight and sacrifices himself.
Just Vader. He tries to fight Palpatine but doesn't win that one (you 'win' in terms of game mechanics, I suppose) and sacrifices himself to try to kill him (which fails). He just gets stomped by Palpatine in the dark side ending.

Vader puts up more of a fight in TFU2 and it takes more contrived circumstances to beat him.

Galen Marek (and most of TFU, really) was one of those silly things I was talking about, anyway.

Psquit

Arcane
I always thought Vader lost because he was losing his hatred and feeling love for his son, and thus couldn't command his dark side powers anymore.
He lost because he was more of a robot than a human. He needed his suit in order to breathe, etc.
also he wasnt able to use the force lightning because of his suit and the fact that darth sidious never train vader or teach him new tricks.

Ovg

Cipher
Nah, he lost because power of love for his son and all. It's George "Han never shot first" Lucas we're talking about here.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
He lost because he was more of a robot than a human. He needed his suit in order to breathe, etc.
also he wasnt able to use the force lightning because of his suit and the fact that darth sidious never train vader or teach him new tricks.
:lol: Sidious has no tricks + I hate how his name is some poor play attempt to convert the word insidious, whoever thought of that needs to be neutered.

Psquit

Arcane
:lol: Sidious has no tricks + I hate how his name is some poor play attempt to convert the word insidious, whoever thought of that needs to be neutered.

I thought Sidious was able to resurrect the dead with the force or some shit like that... or at least he claim to be able to do that.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

I thought Sidious was able to resurrect the dead with the force or some shit like that... or at least he claim to be able to do that.
Considering he hates everyone and in fact has a completely pointless existence with no desire for creature comforts/having the spotlight, his only driving force seeming to be killing jedi. My point is why would he ever revive anyone to begin with?

Psquit

Arcane

Considering he hates everyone and in fact has a completely pointless existence with no desire for creature comforts/having the spotlight, his only driving force seeming to be killing jedi. My point is why would he ever revive anyone to begin with?

pointless torture or maybe find a way to revive himself.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
KotOR is an unintelligent rehash of every "hero rises from humble origins and defeats cackling villain with a cast of cooky allies plus Plot Twist near the end" story, as well as a propagator of the Biowhorian "tutorial -> into level -> four areas completed in optional order -> outro level -> endgame" gameplay formula. There's very little in it for a Star Wars fan or any other kind of gamer. KotOR is thoroughly passable.
KotOR is an intelligent rehash of every "hero rises from humble origins(Luke) and defeats cackling villain(Vader and Emperah) with a cast of cooky allies(Han solo,leia,chewbacca,r2-d2...) plus Plot Twist near the end(I'm your father)" story, as well as a propagator of the Biowhorian "tutorial -> into level -> four areas completed in optional order -> outro level -> endgame" gameplay formula. It's the same old space adventure formula and it does it well enough to make us play it to the end.

If you're playing it expecting it to be a timeless classic that chanced the entire industry you are looking at the wrong game.If you want to play entertaining console-rpg this series delivers.(Second game interestingly had more grimdark feeling to it and didn't felt like like star wars at all so first game gets the prize for giving more star wars feel)
Bioware turned shit,no one argues with that but that does not mean everything they did automatically turns into shit.

Except for Kreia pointing out the holes in Star Wars philisophy and the Force in general, KOTOR ain't got much to it. 2 is even worse than 1, gameplay-wise, because prestige classes make you so overpowered it should've been a visual novel after you reach level 15 and take on the uberclass. Not that KOTOR 1 was much in that department anyway, could be easily cheesed, AI was dumb and not much planning was needed during battle. Shame, because I enjoy it as a setting. Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Tie-Fighter, Rogue Squadron, lots of fun games in it.

Anyone remember the name of that huge star wars arcade machine? The one where you blow up the first death star, then fight snow crawlers (AT-something they are called I think) on Hoth then back to blow up the second death star. Now that was a coin leech.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bioware turned shit,no one argues with that but that does not mean everything they did automatically turns into shit.
I argue with that. Most of the games they've released since kotor have been better. :)

Glyphwright

KotOR is an unintelligent rehash of every "hero rises from humble origins and defeats cackling villain with a cast of cooky allies plus Plot Twist near the end" story, as well as a propagator of the Biowhorian "tutorial -> into level -> four areas completed in optional order -> outro level -> endgame" gameplay formula. There's very little in it for a Star Wars fan or any other kind of gamer. KotOR is thoroughly passable.
KotOR is an intelligent rehash of every "hero rises from humble origins(Luke) and defeats cackling villain(Vader and Emperah) with a cast of cooky allies(Han solo,leia,chewbacca,r2-d2...) plus Plot Twist near the end(I'm your father)" story, as well as a propagator of the Biowhorian "tutorial -> into level -> four areas completed in optional order -> outro level -> endgame" gameplay formula. It's the same old space adventure formula and it does it well enough to make us play it to the end.

If you're playing it expecting it to be a timeless classic that chanced the entire industry you are looking at the wrong game.If you want to play entertaining console-rpg this series delivers.(Second game interestingly had more grimdark feeling to it and didn't felt like like star wars at all so first game gets the prize for giving more star wars feel)
Star Wars became an iconic piece of modern fiction because it took a coming-of-age story and told it very well. KotOR was riddled with typical Biowarian nonsense and failed to impart any originality or meaning on top of the template. Comparing SW to KotOR is like comparing a dick with a finger.

How are we going to care for an infant under those conditions? I won’t risk the life of our child like that. And I know you won’t, either.”

Bastila reached two fingers up and pressed them gently against Revan’s lips. “If I say you’re right,” she whispered, “will you please shut up?” He nodded silently. “Because I can think of better things to do on the last night before you leave than talking.” Revan couldn’t have agreed with her more.

:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::dead::necro:

roll-a-die

Magister

It's actually his master that he alleged to have raised the dead, there's also hints in the EU that Anakin was a creation of said master. Sidious himself, killed his master after his master let out that he had been working on artificial life, assuming that his master was thinking about killing him and taking on a more impressive apprentice. Sidious stabbed him in his sleep, but showed fear of his master as he did so, thereby in Sith terms, lost the conflict. He was literally the least powerful Sith lord in awhile, his only real talents in force manipulation being flowing sith lightning. Where previous other ones could turn people into bombs or manipulate midichlorians in the body.

God, I'm a nerd.

anus_pounder

Arcane

It's actually his master that he alleged to have raised the dead, there's also hints in the EU that Anakin was a creation of said master. Sidious himself, killed his master after his master let out that he had been working on artificial life, assuming that his master was thinking about killing him and taking on a more impressive apprentice. Sidious stabbed him in his sleep, but showed fear of his master as he did so, thereby in Sith terms, lost the conflict. He was literally the least powerful Sith lord in awhile, his only real talents in force manipulation being flowing sith lightning. Where previous other ones could turn people into bombs or manipulate midichlorians in the body.

God, I'm a nerd.

No no, do go on. Reading wookiepedia and fan summaries of star wars is more exciting than the source material itself.

EDIT: :oops: I'm not kidding. I sometimes just go to the site, search up random jedi and sith and scroll right down to 'powers and abilities' section.

roll-a-die

Magister
Well for instance, he preferred technology because he had no talent in sith alchemy, which is badass. He also disregarded the rule of 2, and allowed Dooku to train the robot guy that had bug limbs. Also he supposedly trained Darth Maul at the same time he converted Dooku.

He disregarded it further when in the imperial period, you had things like the Imperial Knights and the Hands of the Emperor.

The rule of two being what allowed the sith to survive long enough that they had someone in a position of such authority that he was Supreme Chancellor without the jedi sensing anything. One to have the power and pass it on, another to crave the power and do anything to have it.

There are also 3 versions of the Jedi code, one from the beginning of the order, another from the Old Republic Era and one from the New Republic Era,

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

being the original, literally being a reminder that you should accept that you have all these things and not attempt to deny them but rather to use both aspects, have emotion, but be peaceful, have ignorance, but seek knowledge, have passion, but seek to be serene. Accept chaos but seek to make harmony, and know that death leads only to the force/heaven.
Then comes the Old Republic Version, which was made by an Old Jedi Fart who believed that their code was too permissive, and needed to be clearer on things, this led to generations of Jedi who literally couldn't follow the code to the letter, there was also a distinct schism between the young jedi and the new jedi. The Jedi were given the choice between the codes originally, but afterwords the code ceased to be taught for the longest time.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Literally, telling you to tell all those emotions to bugger off. To let people know that you aren't ignorant, even when you are. Have no passion, only be serene, to litterally deny that death happens, and it's only a function of the force. It's dumb as shit. And the original code led to far more well adjusted Jedi. Even then, the Jedi in the modern era allowed people to have wives, which is why Anakin is totally inconsistent, because most of the jedi masters had lovers at one point. Hell Obi-Wan had Siri Tachi that he banged while he was still in the Academy. So telling him that people who love get kicked out of the order, was not only dumb, but an outright lie.

Something that is interesting is that the code completely changes after this point because Luke realized the flaws in both of the codes and actually makes an oath similar to the oath police officers take.

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy
.Jedi use their powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others, rather than rule over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training

anus_pounder

Arcane

Interesting, didn't know about the original Jedi Code. Sounds like whoever made the 2nd one fucked the galaxy right up the ass.

And on Sidious, didn't he follow a loose interpretation of 'rule of 1/himself'? At least after he became emperor. The Imperial Knights and Hands of the Emperor were only mediocre in the force, from what I read. He had trained force users under his command like Sedriss QL, but no 'apprentice' in the sense that Bane had Zannah, for example. He used them as agents, tools and weapons but never trained them to be successors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom