Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is KoToR worth playing?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What can I say it is better than any new Biowhore game and is less gay so if you're into Heroic Epic, Whiny Companions, Lazors and Light zabers pick this up.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Exar Kun

Scholar
Drew Karpyshyn is the George Lucas of the Old Republic, and was the lead writer on KOTOR, wrote the Revan novel, Jedi Knight MMO storyline, and Bane trilogy. I kinda worship this dude.
That mound of fat is a terrible writer. http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2...s-to-prove-that-tie-in-writers-are-worthless/

Its funny how this pulls out the feminist argument for Bastila, meanwhile the whole point of the story is that Revan is sacrificing everything including his own family to confront whatever evil he faced after the Mandolarian wars. Right, Bastilla didn't go with him, but neither did any of men characters like Canderous, Carth, Etc... Noone even knew where the fuck he was going. So yeah, Bastilla was kinda left with the kid.

Funny also that you have main female characters throughout his novels, including Darth Zannah who I don't know carrys on the entire fucking sith dynasty leading into the movies... not to mention Meetra Surik who confronts the emperor with Revan..

Yeah it may be b-rate but I enjoy it. I don't need the codex hivemind telling me what to like and what not to, so I guess it can be called a "guilty pleasure"...:roll:

Its a fucking STAR WARS book after all...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

Gozma

Arcane
KotOR was pretty cool in the time between the prequels when it came out, because it was like, "Jesus Christ finally some nice simple pandering Star Wars shit that plays on my kid nostalgia instead of being bizarrely awful and incompetent." Looking at it now it's a pretty shitty RPG and just being competent Star Wars isn't really acceptable now that the franchise has been mostly killed, but that's probably why it was successful originally.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
One plot detail that always bothered me: Bastila was supposed to be a mere Padawan, a new initiate into the Order. Yet she was capable of a Battle Meditation (used by Joruus C'Baoth in the Thrawn novels), a highly advanced Jedi practice. And the Order put her to use in the most delicate and difficult tasks, such as confronting a Sith Lord herself.

It's like having a fresh recruit in the army placed as both a general and a front line special forces officer.

The importance given to this 18-21 year old young lady is a bit baffling.

Exar Kun

Scholar
One plot detail that always bothered me: Bastila was supposed to be a mere Padawan, a new initiate into the Order. Yet she was capable of a Battle Meditation (used by Joruus C'Baoth in the Thrawn novels), a highly advanced Jedi practice. And the Order put her to use in the most delicate and difficult tasks, such as confronting a Sith Lord herself.

It's like having a fresh recruit in the army placed as both a general and a front line special forces officer.

Well its because she's inherently very powerful in the force. Carth makes a point of explaining that she's a prodigy. Because she was so young and powerful, she was very arrogant which helped explain how Malak seduced her to the dark side. It's far more believable for a young, power hungry Jedi to turn to the dark side rather then a more wise member of the order.

And she isn't a new iniate, she was trained since she was a small child.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

It's a case of ludonarrative dissonance. She's only powerful in cutscenes, yet during actual gameplay both the cat girl Jedi and the old guy eclipse her in every way.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think that's *quite* ludonarrative dissonance because in the Star Wars mythos there is more to being Jedi than martial prowess. So it makes sense that she could be a more powerful Jedi than the other 2 while being a worse combatant. However, I don't remember the cutscenes so they might have shown her being a terrifying combatant, but that's just plain jane inconsistency not ludonarrative dissonance.

Also, I thought she was a full blown Jedi, not a padawan, but I haven't played the game in years so I'll defer to the robot's memory.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I think at one point the Jedi council calls her a padawan, but it doesn't really make sense. She should be a Jedi knight at least.

In the first cutscene/video of the game you see her take down a Dark Jedi and facing off against Revan himself before the latter gets shot at. She was clearly meant to be a formidable combatant (not to mention using a double-bladed lightsaber which takes considerable skill).

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Yeah, I don't think Padawans are meant to survive against powerful Sith Force-users.

There is definitely some dissonance.

Exar Kun

Scholar
Yeah, I don't think Padawans are meant to survive against powerful Sith Force-users.

There is definitely some dissonance.
Dude, it's like Luke vs Vader in ep 6. He wins because of the fact that he is inherently powerful even though he had just become a Jedi.
Not to mention she had a full Jedi strike team backing her up.

It's called plot/fanservice armor. Same way how Stahkillah can pull down Star Destroyers and slaughter legions of Sturmtruppen with insane Skrillex drops in the background.

Dude, it's like Luke vs Vader in ep 6. He wins because of the fact that he is inherently powerful even though he had just become a Jedi.
If we aren't taking the movies on their own (i.e., not ignoring the EU), then Vader only lost because he pretty much threw the fight. EU Vader is a beast, and Luke wasn't that good at that stage.

'Course, the EU can be a silly place, but it's what KotOR is.

Grimlorn

Arcane
both Kotors were pretty bad. People just give Kotor 2 a pass because it was slightly better than Kotor in a couple areas and written by MCA. But the writing still isn't as good as people remember it to be. It was terribly unfinished. Visas almost immediately has feelings for you when she joins your crew and Last Handmaiden is immediately jealous of her. It has that same Bioware romance formula, a few conversations and they're in love with you. Kreia was really the only well written character, but because the ending and game wasn't finished it largely goes nowhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom