Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

mastroego

Arcane
I'm fairly happy with my Requiem mod list.
Mod directory is about 10 GBs, IIRC.

thesecret1

Arcane
When I feel like modding a bethesda game, I usually download a 300+GB modlist, play it for a couple days, then delete it to free up space. Never really understood people who leave shit they're done with on their drives indefinitely.

BruceVC

Magister
third worlder detected
It's still bonkers to have an overhaul that exceeds the base game by that much..
Yep. Grunker is coping because the mods are a bunch of unoptimized crap.

The game will still look like ass by today's standards, and it will still play like garbage, with garbage writing.

My SSD has space. I'm just not wasting my time to download all that and get very little for it.

The only mod I really cared about when I played Skyrim was the alternate start mod that let me ignore the story for a while. It's a few kilobytes and helped me enjoy the game for a bit before I had to tackle the dumb stuff
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/40282

And the Viconia mod, dont forget how much we love the Viconia mod, Romance included for free :bounce:

Quillon

Arcane
Viconia mod
40282-1599681361-41482484.jpeg

nightmare material

mastroego

Arcane

BruceVC

Magister
I'm fairly happy with my Requiem mod list.
Mod directory is about 10 GBs, IIRC.
Masie what about the Nolvus mod collection, it installs over 2000 mods !!!!

And its highly recommended and you need about 300GB of space and it obviously installs automatically through a Nexus premium account :incline:

https://www.nolvus.net/modlist
I really don't get these people...
Masie remember when did that comprehensive and pertinent breakdown and testing of a mod list for Skyrim, you confirmed what was good and works

I want to ask you a favor, can you do the same for this mod collection? I dont have time and your skills to do it

And then there is another mod collection called Vagabond which has over 4500 mods !!! So when you done with Novlus can you can do the same with Vagabond and then post your findings :bounce:

https://loadorderlibrary.com/lists/vagabond

mastroego

Arcane
Masie remember when did that comprehensive and pertinent breakdown and testing of a mod list for Skyrim, you confirmed what was good and works

I want to ask you a favor, can you do the same for this mod collection? I dont have time and your skills to do it

And then there is another mod collection called Vagabond which has over 4500 mods !!! So when you done with Novlus can you can do the same with Vagabond and then post your findings :bounce:

I'll be honest, I doubt I'll have the time for such a research effort...
And my experience is limited to the mods I've personally tried and used.
But I'll try to have a look in the we if I have time.

BruceVC

Magister

I'll be honest, I doubt I'll have the time for such a research effort...
And my experience is limited to the mods I've personally tried and used.
But I'll try to have a look in the we if I have time.
Im just teasing you, I would never expect you to spend the next 2 years testing a 4000+ mod list :lol:

These large mod collections are already tested and confirmed to work together. Novlus has good documentation on how to instal them and possible issues but of course as you know that doesnt mean you wont necessarily experience some problems

I have mentioned I have never played Skyrim and Im considering Requiem or Nolvus because they are different with Requiem being the more "realistic " and "harder " mod experience but it looks overall better than Nolvus

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I need to stop using this fucking game as a frame of reference for others but playing BG1 & BG2 again with mods led me back to reflecting on time spent modding Skyrim. Concluded yet again that my issues with the game are largely beyond the capabilities of the current and any probable future mod community to address.

In retrospect my biggest problem with Skyrim is a lack of thoughtful encounter design. You'll generally have an idea of the types of enemies you'll get in a given encounter and their range of possible equipment but little else beyond that. To fix that you'd have to remove every random spawn and replace them with thousands of unique npc/creature references. Then you'd have to make each enemy mechanically relevant within the party-less action combat framework and indeed make said action combat framework engaging to begin with. Huge amount of work involved in both. It would also need a significant amount of playtesting which is something that most TES modders almost never bother to do or accept feedback from.

The quest design leading to said encounters suffers from a similar lack of attention to detail and the dialogue system is poor. Very difficult to wring any motivations or interest out of three short lines of voiced NPC dialogue, a crap scripted sequence or worst of all the radiant system selecting a random location for a quest. Impossible for modders to do the amount of writing that would be required to fix this, nevermind the likely poor quality of the output that would be the result. Even if they could it would be impossible to implement because of the voice acting barrier, especially since the use of decent A.I. voice acting tools was killed off by a community sex panic. This also applies to specific NPCs. Lydia can now look like Jennifer Connelly and have a 32K areola texture but she'll never be a character with a background or agenda of her own (though that might for the best given previous community efforts).

Even if addressing all of the above was feasible the amount of crossmod integration and agreement on common frameworks that would be required is beyond the TES modding community that currently exists and likely always will exist. The Parlor side decisively lost the battle years ago and now the fuckers that remain are as a rule too toxic, navel-gazing or outright stupid for any sustained collaborative effort. All reinforced by years of file hosting sites abetting their behaviour and now with an added real financial incentive courtesy of individual modder Patreons. Also the asset fidelity barrier to entry for big projects is probably too high for anything but a seriously dedicated team by the time of Oblivion.

Bottom line – I don’t think Skyrim will ever get a good encounter mod like SCS or even a mediocre NPC expansion mod like the BG1NPC project. Stick to getting Elisif into an F cup fur bikini with jiggle physics if you want to go modding, you'll end up with the best experience vs time invested ratio.

Last edited:

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
The fundamental problem is the people who spend their time modding skyrim think the game is great as it is. They don't see it as a canvas for something actually good to be developed, they think it was great as it was, and adding supermodels and sex with lizards and armor sets from popular games just makes it even betterer. Its the gaming world equivalent of running into normie retards in your workplace and them being like oh man have you seen transformers10/fastfuriousslop20/marvelslop15? when the guy did the thing with the other thing and boom! so fucking awesome dood! and you're sitting there going
Fk6dANfWYAE7iKG.jpg

The fundamental problem is the people who spend their time modding skyrim think the game is great as it is. They don't see it as a canvas for something actually good to be developed, they think it was great as it was, and adding supermodels and sex with lizards and armor sets from popular games just makes it even betterer. Its the gaming world equivalent of running into normie retards in your workplace and them being like oh man have you seen transformers10/fastfuriousslop20/marvelslop15? when the guy did the thing with the other thing and boom! so fucking awesome dood! and you're sitting there going
Fk6dANfWYAE7iKG.jpg
Rarely felt more like a Lovecraftian protagonist than when I heard an otherwise very competent senior colleague of mine describe to another how into the whole MCU expanded universe he was about a year ago. To be fair the other guy did look at him like he had 10 heads when he did.

Ryzer

Arcane
The things I like about Skyrim are the Nordic atmosphere and mythology within it, I wish more games use nordic esthetics effectively without a dogshit art direction.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
a crap scripted sequence or worst of all the radiant system selecting a random location for a quest.
Just wanted to note.
As I understand 'radiant quests' they're essentially putting quest locations in a loot table, and having it pick the corresponding location's 'boss chest'.
The designer still needs to populate this loot table of course, so there is plenty of room for modders to adjust these so it's not base Skyrim's: "Here's a note with the target."

It's a very rudimentary system.
I personally see it less as a means of giving the player 'infinite quests', but rather giving them an excuse to explore points of interest they'd otherwise miss.

Modron

Arcane
Games handle fov differently just maxing the thing isn't always the right way, I think it was cynical brit complaining about the FoV in that newly kickstarted tex murphy game because it was limited to 90 but turning it up to 90 there just gave it a considerable fisheye lens effect.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Games handle fov differently just maxing the thing isn't always the right way, I think it was cynical brit complaining about the FoV in that newly kickstarted tex murphy game because it was limited to 90 but turning it up to 90 there just gave it a considerable fisheye lens effect.

FOV hype is competing for the most retarded of all modern gamer brain fads

Yosharian

Arcane

FOV hype is competing for the most retarded of all modern gamer brain fads
Fov hype? Wtf are you talking about

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom