Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lemming42

Arcane
Never had a good experience with any of these. Less said about what some of these modpacks think constitutes a "visual overhaul" the better, especially when it comes to NPCs, but the real shit sandwich arrives when combat is either changed into Dark Souls (which I don't enjoy when it's actually in a Soulsborne game, and enjoy even left when it's some bullshit ersatz mimicry) or mutilated it so badly that it no longer looks or plays like anything designed by a human.

I reckon the answer to "is Skyrim worth reinstalling for this modpack" is "that depends if you feel like playing Skyrim again", because ultimately you're going to be playing the same game only with slightly different flavours and a multitude of compounding fuckups as the mods start to break apart mid-game. Thinking "should I play modded Skyrim?" is like thinking "should I eat a cheese pizza with peppers on it?"; the answer is "yes, if you already wanted to play vanilla Skyrim/eat a cheese pizza".

Yosharian

Arcane
Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Never had a good experience with any of these. Less said about what some of these modpacks think constitutes a "visual overhaul" the better, especially when it comes to NPCs, but the real shit sandwich arrives when combat is either changed into Dark Souls (which I don't enjoy when it's actually in a Soulsborne game, and enjoy even left when it's some bullshit ersatz mimicry) or mutilated it so badly that it no longer looks or plays like anything designed by a human.

I reckon the answer to "is Skyrim worth reinstalling for this modpack" is "that depends if you feel like playing Skyrim again", because ultimately you're going to be playing the same game only with slightly different flavours and a multitude of compounding fuckups as the mods start to break apart mid-game. Thinking "should I play modded Skyrim?" is like thinking "should I eat a cheese pizza with peppers on it?"; the answer is "yes, if you already wanted to play vanilla Skyrim/eat a cheese pizza".

Skyrim is worthless except as a big puddle of survival mechanics, which is why the only fun you can derive from it is by tightening the noose on frost, stamina, economy, enemy design, RPG mechanics and exploration (i.e. handplaced design).

At least I've had fun like that. It turns the game into an actual RPG with hard-won progression.

Still won't fix any of the game's remaining multitude of problems though.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

More or less. There's some superflous shit like expanded locations and NPCs, but I don't really give a fuck about that. It also expands the game systems much more than Requiem does, which I guess is a YMMV kindda thing.

I play it because it is a neat, easily installed and well-supported package of Requiem + survival stuff. The support especially impressed me last time I played it - when I broke the mod by installing other mods on top of it once I inevitably got bored, I received something akin to paid customer IT support from the moderators when I asked for help. Not even for fixing the mod itself, but for fixing my own shoddy modding of it.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Skyrim is worthless except as a big puddle of survival mechanics, which is why the only fun you can derive from it is by tightening the noose on frost, stamina, economy, enemy design and exploration (i.e. handplaced design).
I've never quite understood those (if we're thinking of the same thing), I tried Frostfall or whatever that one that gives you a portable tent is and it just seemed like a bizarre way to introduce tedium into a game that's already perpetually on the brink of becoming tedious. The time between the dungeons (the best bit of the game) is broken up by having to stand next to a fire for a while. And of course the eating/drinking mods which are just batshit, having to carry around Apple (12) with you to open the inventory and click on it when the game tells you you're on the precipice of starvation. I dunno, maybe I never found the right ones.

Definitely interested in any mods that expand upon enemy design and exploration, I think the game is at its best when it's fully embraced as the dungeon crawler that it was ultimately designed as.

Spike

Educated
Skyrim is worthless except as a big puddle of survival mechanics, which is why the only fun you can derive from it is by tightening the noose on frost, stamina, economy, enemy design and exploration (i.e. handplaced design).
I've never quite understood those (if we're thinking of the same thing), I tried Frostfall or whatever that one that gives you a portable tent is and it just seemed like a bizarre way to introduce tedium into a game that's already perpetually on the brink of becoming tedious. The time between the dungeons (the best bit of the game) is broken up by having to stand next to a fire for a while. And of course the eating/drinking mods which are just batshit, having to carry around Apple (12) with you to open the inventory and click on it when the game tells you you're on the precipice of starvation. I dunno, maybe I never found the right ones.

Definitely interested in any mods that expand upon enemy design and exploration, I think the game is at its best when it's fully embraced as the dungeon crawler that it was ultimately designed as.
Big, fat, sloppy agree. Dungeons/encounter design/exploration is king.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
third worlder detected
It's still bonkers to have an overhaul that exceeds the base game by that much..
Yep. Grunker is coping because the mods are a bunch of unoptimized crap.

The game will still look like ass by today's standards, and it will still play like garbage, with garbage writing.

My SSD has space. I'm just not wasting my time to download all that and get very little for it.

The only mod I really cared about when I played Skyrim was the alternate start mod that let me ignore the story for a while. It's a few kilobytes and helped me enjoy the game for a bit before I had to tackle the dumb stuff

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Last edited:

Spike

Educated
third worlder detected
It's still bonkers to have an overhaul that exceeds the base game by that much..
Yep. Grunker is coping

Yes. I am "coping" about a file size that literally doesn't have any practical implications for me (???)

I'm sorry you guys can't afford internet and M.2 drives, but the civilized worlds are long past caring about file sizes
Tremendous cope. I have like 10TB or more and 135 gigs or whatever is still obnoxious (mostly because I have a metric ton of anime and cartoons on my drives but point stands).

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm sorry you guys can't afford internet and M.2 drives, but the civilized worlds are long past caring about file sizes
I have a 2 terabyte secondary SSD in addition to my main one. I use it mainly for multi-gigabyte AI models, but I can always fit more games on it too.

My internet is 1gb per second upload and download fiber. I can afford the 5gb version, but I simply don't need it.

Again, you're coping. Why you're coping is up to you, but you are.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
what "problems and difficulties" does 135gb pose for me? i think we may be dealing with your third world ineptitude at understanding the English language, here

cope​

verb

ˈkōp
coped; coping
intransitive verb
: to deal with and attempt to overcome problems and difficulties

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

If you don't enjoy that sort of survival thing (incrementally progressing your crafting, gathering and itemization to overcome those obstacles) I honestly don't think Skyrim has much enjoyment. The sandbox is cool, it's just lacking in much of any systems to make it meaningful and while I agree with this:

I don't even think Requiem alone, great as it is, is enough to carry that load with how poor most of Skyrim's basic systems are.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Wildlander is kind of shit and no skyrim mod list can justify taking up 135gb, especially when 133 of that is completely superfluous asset replacement shit and not anything related to gameplay or systems. Just obnoxious. Also the curator is a homosexual pederast.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Also the curator is a homosexual pederast.
Please expound on this minor detail...

edit:
1706011510215.png

Uh oh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom