Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

goregasm

Scholar
Have had wildlander installed on pc for awhile, been screwing around with that a bit for my "end of day" gaming the last few nights.

Enjoying it thus far. Not a huge fan of skyrim in general, always liked daggerfall and morrowind, but I am impressed with all of the autistic shit people can cram into it.

The creators of the modlist seem like degenerates but..well it's skyrim modding. They at least kept the modlist free of that shit.

Losus4

Literate
The best way to play Skyrim is with a permadeath mod. This is the one I use - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57269

It will immediately delete all saves in My Documents/Skyrim the moment you die with no possibility of retrieving them.

I used to use all the hunger and survival mods, but none of them come close to matching the absolute dread of knowing one false move could be the end of everything. Playing this way makes you have to carefully consider every little action you take. I first tried permadeath as a joke, but after a while I couldn't go back. Playing vanilla after permadeath, even if you have all those other survival mods feels incredibly shallow.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Is the blocking in CGO "directionized" yet?
I mean, the mod did some very cool things, but I have always had problems with blocks ending up with the shield "in front" and not corresponding to which direction the character was facing, as in blocking an attack from the side, from behind, etc.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
The best way to play Skyrim is with a permadeath mod. This is the one I use - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57269

It will immediately delete all saves in My Documents/Skyrim the moment you die with no possibility of retrieving them.

I used to use all the hunger and survival mods, but none of them come close to matching the absolute dread of knowing one false move could be the end of everything. Playing this way makes you have to carefully consider every little action you take. I first tried permadeath as a joke, but after a while I couldn't go back. Playing vanilla after permadeath, even if you have all those other survival mods feels incredibly shallow.
Just play Lalaland already. Or at least Arkay's Commandment.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Both are shit. Wildlander probably less so. If you want a gfx whoring list with some "improvements" but without taking up all your SDD space I suggest Nordic Souls. If you want something different from Requiem it's The Northern Experience.

Yosharian

Arcane
Both are shit. Wildlander probably less so. If you want a gfx whoring list with some "improvements" but without taking up all your SDD space I suggest Nordic Souls. If you want something different from Requiem it's The Northern Experience.
Nah, I want hardcore survival and challenging combat

I don't have AE edition and I'm not buying it

Yosharian

Arcane
Hmm looks like Arkay's Commandment/Lalaland or the Northern Experience might be the best options

Although AC/LL don't include survival mechanics I guess but maybe that's not such a big deal

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Anyone have any thoughts on Elysium Remastered vs Wildlander
ER uses Wildcat for combat, Wildlander uses Requiem. I can't stand I'm just tired of Requiem.

ER is a truly monster list. It'll bring your system to its knees, especially if you don't rely on at least DLSS/FSR if not some form of frame generation. Even with that, don't expect anything over 60fps unless you're running a 4080+.

I like ER a lot better. There's no sign of any weeb shit in it and almost all its included mods have been p. carefully curated to not be irritating or inconsistent with Skyrim's original formula.

Not really sure what coldcrow's problem is with it other than his complaint about drive space. It does take up over 500GB of space if you keep the original downloads folder that Wabbajack generates for it.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've only tried a couple, ER and Vagabond (although I'm not 100% certain Vagabond doesn't use Requiem).

I couldn't stand Vagabond about five minutes into playing it. I almost got physically angry it was so retarded.

ER is almost perfect for what I wanted. So far there's only one area of it that I'm avoiding, and that's the very substandard (and completely optional) Bruma expansion it includes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What is everyone's SSD size these days? I only have about 1TB from 2019 so it is obviously dated. Good gravy; the meat and potatoes these games cook up these days.

Yosharian

Arcane
I have 2x 2TB gaming SSDs, 1TB system drive, 1TB library drive, 1TB for editing, 4TB for recording

Yeah I bought too many SSDs last time I was building my machine

Spike

Educated
What is everyone's SSD size these days? I only have about 1TB from 2019 so it is obviously dated. Good gravy; the meat and potatoes these games cook up these days.
You told me yours so I'll tell you mine: actually only 500 gigs. But I have two, so 1TB as well. But I have several HDDs that are like 15TB all combined. :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I have 2x 2TB gaming SSDs, 1TB system drive, 1TB library drive, 1TB for editing, 4TB for recording

Yeah I bought too many SSDs last time I was building my machine
You can never have too many. Going from SSD to portable HDD feels like high speed to dialup at times.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Not that it's hard, everything good already fits on my old ssd. The only things that need much space are bad games.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I mean, you're posting this in a thread dedicated (at least within the last two hundred pages) to heavily modifying Skyrim, which, by definition, would benefit greatly from as much drive read speed as poss---

Oh, forget it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is looking like going laptop is a bad option if drive space, RAM, and video needs to be top notch. True, my last purchase was a 2019 machine which was really likely to be a 2018 machine since it was on sale and had a DVD drive built in. Yeah, a second drive would have been nice. Originally, it had a 500gb drive and I managed to upgrade it to 1tb but I had to let some geek squad do it since I'm inept at that shit. How many internal SSD can you fit in a laptop if it was designed to house more? I love the portable nature but I feel laptops may be a sign of the times gone by.

Cologno

Educated
SKSE, Engine Fixes, and SkyUI, maybe Simonrim along with upscaled textures and a lighting mod, what more do you need?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom