Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I feel desire to play Fallout 3

Endemic

Arcane
You should be banned for playing New Vegas

2n707m1.png

:)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Since you can't play F3 with that computer anyway (changing the video card and installing windows would allow You to play it - barely), why don't You play some good games instead?
I'm burned out. Also, I play Command Ops a lot nowadays and a bit of Fallout - though I can't play the latter normally, because I'm in process of updating my mod and I have to edit every map before entering it.

Fallout 2 mixed with a FPS is pure heresy. I'm from the old guard, believing in the sacredness of Turn-Based and Isometric until the end - to be honest, something like New Vegas what I was worried about, I didn't even know how bad Fallout 3 will turn out to be.

Damn, that sounds pretty restricting. Is it a part-time job or the "free" expenses you're left with after paying bills with a regular one?
I'm supported by my mother now. I just do small things like drawing some plans or going somewhere for her company and that's all I get for my own expenses.

I remember that once you were looking for a job on Gumtree, but that's where are only the worst offers & terms are, and actively applying at workplace worked for people I knew much better. Anyway, I don't really want to give shallow tips to you since I can't really relate to your position, but I hope things will get better.
Yeah, I got hired only once by replying a job offer and it was long time ago - in 2006. The other two times I got a job through someone recommending me. I remember reading that the effectiveness of searching for work by replying offers is pitifully small - like 28% for searching for half a year or something like that. Apparently asking around is more than two times more effective.
Though I don't know where I should apply. I only finished high school and a two year informatics school, but I don't even have a technician exam done. I was interested in cleaning, but it turned out that cleaning went to shit and they pay less than minimal wage for more than full-time. I was thinking about a warehouse job or something like that but I have no idea where to look for one outside work agencies and stuff like that.

As for the video card, I think it would do quite a lot, since it's the weakest link and does the most difference. 2,4 ghz and 1gb ram isn't actually that terrible. I know I was surprised at how many games I could play with my integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 on similar specs.
What video card would you recommend?

Yeah, I got hired only once by replying a job offer and it was long time ago - in 2006. The other two times I got a job through someone recommending me. I remember reading that the effectiveness of searching for work by replying offers is pitifully small - like 28% for searching for half a year or something like that. Apparently asking around is more than two times more effective.
Though I don't know where I should apply. I only finished high school and a two year informatics school, but I don't even have a technician exam done. I was interested in cleaning, but it turned out that cleaning went to shit and they pay less than minimal wage for more than full-time. I was thinking about a warehouse job or something like that but I have no idea where to look for one outside work agencies and stuff like that.

Well, there's this whole "security", which would be basically "portier". While it pays like shit it's basically "free" money; you don't actually do any work and you can read books or do something productive during this time. That's the huge advantage.

Katowice is a big city, there are a lot of schools and stand-alone buildings like this. You can try there.

My friend has no qualifications and he was personally looking for job in services. He asked employees specifically for a talk with an employer(leaving CVs to employees is thrown to bin); he got himself a job in a car showroom.

I believe that there is in some form an option to apply for a free, for example, forklift training. I'm not really familiar with how it works, but if you're living with your mother and you don't really have a formal income you may qualify for such "help". I think it happens on an institutional level and that's what my friend got after applying to (welding training).

As for the video card, I think it would do quite a lot, since it's the weakest link and does the most difference. 2,4 ghz and 1gb ram isn't actually that terrible. I know I was surprised at how many games I could play with my integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 on similar specs.
What video card would you recommend?

I'm not really an expert. About a year and a half ago I shelled ~350zł on Allegro for GeForce GTX 260. It's surprisingly quite a beast, some of the modern games I played often tend to work smoothly on high settings

Right now it's apparently 250zł on Allegro so I believe even 100-150zł should give you a really decent one.

Maybe something like this?

http://allegro.pl/listing/listing.php?string=geforce+9800

http://allegro.pl/listing/listing.php?order=p&string=geforce+9600

http://allegro.pl/listing/listing.php?string=hd+4850

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess You're screwed then.

But seriously, there is no point in investing money in an AGP graphics card. I'd prefer to save up and buy a motherboard with an in-built card.
But if you're really desperate, this is probably the best You can get for ~100 PLN:
http://allegro.pl/ati-radeon-sapphire-hd-3850-512mb-gddr3-agp-i3296610917.html

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since you can't play F3 with that computer anyway (changing the video card and installing windows would allow You to play it - barely), why don't You play some good games instead?
I'm burned out. Also, I play Command Ops a lot nowadays and a bit of Fallout - though I can't play the latter normally, because I'm in process of updating my mod and I have to edit every map before entering it.

Fallout 2 mixed with a FPS is pure heresy. I'm from the old guard, believing in the sacredness of Turn-Based and Isometric until the end - to be honest, something like New Vegas what I was worried about, I didn't even know how bad Fallout 3 will turn out to be.

Once you play Fallout 3, New Vegas will feel like a blessing.

Endemic

Arcane

If the Codex likes Vampire Bloodlines, why is a first person RPG heresy? That's why I quoted the NCR doctor - he summed it up quite well. But hey, I'm talking to someone who wants to play Fallout 3, so go figure.

No point upgrading that system, the Celeron can't compute for crap even with a good graphics card: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1201

Even if you could put in a Pentium 4 in there and an AGP Radeon X1950 or something (a waste of money, just buy a new system), the game would still stutter horribly.

Krivol

Magister
I had sempron 2,4 k or something about this number and radeon x800 or 850 and played F3 for some time with minimum details and low res and it was playable (but sometimes slow). Shitty game with even more shitty graphics didn't turn into something good, I'm affraid.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The desire to play Fallout 3 has disappeared. Weird stuff.

If the Codex likes Vampire Bloodlines, why is a first person RPG heresy?
First person perspective RPG isn't a heresy. First person perspective "Fallout" is.

But hey, I'm talking to someone who wants to play Fallout 3, so go figure.
Except that it has nothing to do with gameplay of Fallout 3, only with environments and certain mods. I just want to fuck around in a sandbox.

No point upgrading that system, the Celeron can't compute for crap even with a good graphics card: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1201

Even if you could put in a Pentium 4 in there and an AGP Radeon X1950 or something (a waste of money, just buy a new system), the game would still stutter horribly.
I guess I'll have to wait a few years and buy myself a new used comp with a dual core processor.

Once you play Fallout 3, New Vegas will feel like a blessing.
I guess that's why there are so many race traitors.

Well, there's this whole "security", which would be basically "portier". While it pays like shit it's basically "free" money; you don't actually do any work and you can read books or do something productive during this time. That's the huge advantage.

Katowice is a big city, there are a lot of schools and stand-alone buildings like this. You can try there.
So, one should go to such a building directly? Or to a security company?

I believe that there is in some form an option to apply for a free, for example, forklift training. I'm not really familiar with how it works, but if you're living with your mother and you don't really have a formal income you may qualify for such "help". I think it happens on an institutional level and that's what my friend got after applying to (welding training).
They changed the rules and now one first have to have a guarantee of getting hired to get the training. I don't know where to ask for warehouse jobs, though. In agencies they are interested only in those who already have training.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Simple solution: Get the STALKER series and play some game that are actually fun to run around "sandboxing". No good can come from experimentation with FO3.

Endemic

Arcane
I guess I'll have to wait a few years and buy myself a new used comp with a dual core processor.

I don't know how expensive used hardware is in Poland, but it isn't that much here and England is a much more expensive country to live in. A used PC capable of running most 2010 games is about 100-150 euros, excluding peripherals.

They changed the rules and now one first have to have a guarantee of getting hired to get the training. I don't know where to ask for warehouse jobs, though. In agencies they are interested only in those who already have training.

Judging by the fact many of your countrymen have returned home from here in recent years, it can't be that bad. My suggestion would be to find a charity to volunteer with (use some common sense, don't try to volunteer for something too complicated) while putting together a resume\CV and approaching employment agencies. I don't have much knowledge of business in Poland, my work never extended that far so I can't offer anything more specific. Good luck :)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Simple solution: Get the STALKER series and play some game that are actually fun to run around "sandboxing". No good can come from experimentation with FO3.
Thanks for reminding me about it. I've read a description of some shit that happens in game and it sounds awesome :D . Though from I heard the environments are full of Soviet shittyness. Are there any total conversions for Stalker?

I don't know how expensive used hardware is in Poland, but it isn't that much here and England is a much more expensive country to live in. A used PC capable of running most 2010 games is about 100-150 euros, excluding peripherals.
I know. I'm aiming for something around that price or less. The problem is that the cost in work is as much as if it was 400-450 Euro in UK.

From what I heard from Poles who work in England, England is much cheaper to live. 40h/week work for a minimal wage is enough to pay for a room, living expenses and one is left with a whole Polish minimal wage in money to spend on stuff or save up.
In Poland 40h/week work for minimal wage is barely enough to pay for a room and living expenses.

Judging by the fact many of your countrymen have returned home from here in recent years, it can't be that bad.
"Returning home" usually involves coming here, getting sick of it after a short time and going abroad again. Or coming here and getting stuck here due to lack of money.
Then there was always a lot of people who got abroad and didn't find any/enough work.

Judging by the fact many of your countrymen have returned home from here in recent years, it can't be that bad. My suggestion would be to find a charity to volunteer with (use some common sense, don't try to volunteer for something too complicated) while putting together a resume\CV and approaching employment agencies. I don't have much knowledge of business in Poland, my work never extended that far so I can't offer anything more specific. Good luck :)
I already have work experience and I'm in 6 employment agencies. Never got any offer from them. I suspect that they look for people with work experience in that specific job they offer. Or I'm overeducated or something.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks for reminding me about it. I've read a description of some shit that happens in game and it sounds awesome :D . Though from I heard the environments are full of Soviet shittyness.

But it is good soviet shittiness! They really nailed the looks of those post soviet degrading enviroments, it reminds me a lot of my hometown. :D Seriously, play it.

Endemic

Arcane
From what I heard from Poles who work in England, England is much cheaper to live. 40h/week work for a minimal wage is enough to pay for a room, living expenses and one is left with a whole Polish minimal wage in money to spend on stuff or save up. In Poland 40h/week work for minimal wage is barely enough to pay for a room and living expenses.

I don't agree, on the whole that isn't true. Especially since the beginning of 2008, with the drastic price rises in basic goods (eg food, fuel) and services (eg utilities). Minimum wage is circa £6 an hour (pre-tax), an average room in a good location is in excess of £400 a month including bills - about half of your post-tax income is spent on accommodation. Any void in employment is very dangerous for your prospects of survival, given the cuts to welfare recently.

I already have work experience and I'm in 6 employment agencies. Never got any offer from them. I suspect that they look for people with work experience in that specific job they offer. Or I'm overeducated or something.

Not sure what you mean by over-educated. Drop me a PM if you like, I don't think this thread is the place for me to carry on this discussion. Again, I wish you luck in your search.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

I don't agree, on the whole that isn't true. Especially since the beginning of 2008, with the drastic price rises in basic goods (eg food, fuel) and services (eg utilities). Minimum wage is circa £6 an hour (pre-tax), an average room in a good location is in excess of £400 a month including bills - about half of your post-tax income is spent on accommodation. Any void in employment is very dangerous for your prospects of survival, given the cuts to welfare recently.
We also have drastic raises of prices of basic goods and these goods are more expensive here anyway - for example food is 1,5 x more expensive and fuel is 2,2 x more expensive.

So, one should go to such a building directly? Or to a security company?
All I know is that my mother applied (through friend's recommendation) to this whole Gwarant company. It's a long (and sad) story, but I'm supposed to go to work there during holiday season as I'm cut off from scholarship during that period. From what I've seen/heard from my mother; it seems people can be "picked for work" directly as well.

I'll try to ask specifically (I'm actually curious too), but one thing's for sure: you're 100% more likely to get a job from direct contact than "indirectly" from gumtree. But I think even "indirect" contact with a company involves actively applying to them, so that still would count as "direct".

They changed the rules and now one first have to have a guarantee of getting hired to get the training. I don't know where to ask for warehouse jobs, though. In agencies they are interested only in those who already have training.[/quote]

I'll try to ask my friend about that too.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fuck it:

Awor, you are shit. Go buy an Xbone and shove that Kinect right up your ass so Microsoft can spy on your asshole and rape you.

Edit: nvm, you lost the desire to play Fallout 3.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As horrible as Fallout 3 can be I didn't feel suicidal until I played Mothership Zeta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom