Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has anyone ever read this Torment review?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bewundernswerterweise bumst Barbie bald beide Bauern; beim Bumsen begrapschen beide Bauern Barbie's Brueste, besonders Berndt.

Hegel

Arcane
MV5BMTM4MTgxMDgxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjEzMjMzMQ@@._V1._SX96_SY140_.jpg

Looks like her ingame counterpart

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Secondly, the point being made was that people who act like children are ruining something that should be fun for everyone.

How exactly? Who forces you to come and read this forum? How are the opinions of others affecting you?

Oh, let me guess, there's that tiny feeling inside gnawing at your self-respect when not everybody likes the same things you do?

Maybe deep inside you know what you like actually sucks and that really bums you.

See? Case solved. Thank you very much for your attention.

Carceri

Arcane
Ogsomething said:
It would be something else if he was advocating the total destruction of the Jews

Hey, wait a minute! Is this...bad?! I'm confused, I don't don't know anymore.

0gh3r

Novice
FeelTheRads said:
Secondly, the point being made was that people who act like children are ruining something that should be fun for everyone.

How exactly? Who forces you to come and read this forum? How are the opinions of others affecting you?

Oh, let me guess, there's that tiny feeling inside gnawing at your self-respect when not everybody likes the same things you do?

Maybe deep inside you know what you like actually sucks and that really bums you.

See? Case solved. Thank you very much for your attention.
No, I don't see kid. lol

No where in my post was I disputing the right of other's to have their opinion. Their conduct, however, is quite uncalled for. That's all I have to say though. You idiots can keep defending your pathetic attempts at courtesy, and I'll go and enjoy the real-world where people don't call strangers "fucking morons" when they say something they don't like. Good day, and I hope you put a bit more thought in your posts.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Trekkie, chill the fuck out.

You are not winning any more sympathy at FAG than you are here, by digging up an ages old topic to rant in it and then going back to FAG to talk about how much you hate the Codex for it.

Jesus, some of you have really been on the drama roll since Carl left, and you have to advertise it everywhere.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
reading? in a video game?

fuck this

Seriously, we bash "professional" reviewers for complaining about too much text but if an amateur does it it's ok, because he plays old games? what the fuck, codex.

Qwinn

Scholar
and I'll go and enjoy the real-world where people don't call strangers "fucking morons" when they say something they don't like.

Were we reading the same thread? Those doing the bashing weren't calling anyone a "fucking morons" for hearing an opinion we didn't like. We were bashing them for being aggressively, badly wrong on the -facts-, and claiming they did things (or had things done to them) in game that are utterly impossible, and worse, kept insisting on those false claims even after being called out on 'em.

There's a vast difference between calling someone a "fucking moron" for stating an opinion you disagree with, and calling someone a "fucking moron" for constantly repeating easily disproven falsehoods and then using those to justify their baseless and slanderous "opinion", and being unable to admit they were wrong even after evidence to the contrary is presented.

The former is stupid, the latter is not only acceptable but necessary. It is precisely the same kind of fucking moronism in the latter example that people employ in order to avoid facing up to the North Korean genocides cause it served their ideological ends, and that kind of willful ignorance should be called out wherever it is found, no matter how trivial the subject. Opinion is opinion and can't be argued with (as long as the facts used to support that opinion are accurate), but Objective Truth is intrinsically worthy of aggressive defense regardless of the importance of the context.

Qwinn

EyeNixon

Novice
FeelTheRads said:
little care.

Made you register and post, though. No, no care at all.

Could've at least try to defend yourself... you've been owned pretty bad.

More of a response to Trekkie, who decided to start flaming Wyrmlord on my forums. As I said, big drama, little care for the shenanigans, all I would like is that it stopped and the cross-site trolling would stop leaking over the pointless spam section into the actual forums, which is now disrupting the tender fiber of order maintained there.
There are valid arguments in here, some good things that I overlooked since I'm not as familiar with the mechanics of the games as many of the fans here are.
The thing is, that review is old, I should rewrite it since it's obviously not very polished and many of my opinions regarding the game have altered, including the quality of the story itself.

I still maintain that it's below average however, and I don't feel a need to defend myself because the review has already been written, if there are things people disagree with, that's fine, but there's not much to argue about regarding my opinion and why exactly I believe what I do, if there are technical inaccuracies, it's simply because I didn't bother mulling over the information in the game all that much. I didn't check the exact values your alignment would shift according to certain actions, I only noticed when it did change and which actions would alter it according to my perceptions.

I think it's only natural that since I didn't like the game, I didn't bother playing it through more than twice - that's already a stretch -, I played a good aligned mage, and an evil aligned fighter, and I considered that enough to be well informed regarding the game and its systems.

One thing I would like to defend myself on however, is the fact that the review was written with a better than average understanding of the game despite that I didn't play it as much as most fans would have, I knew all the characters, played with them all, and I still do believe that Morte is in fact a useless character, his ability as a tank falters once you hit Curst and his damage potential simply isn't high enough. As I said in the review, it's a stark contrast to characters such as Dak'kon or Nordom which remain useful throughout the entire length of the game, possibly being even a bit too powerful.

Other than that, no, nothing I feel that should honestly bother me all that much about the comments in here. People get riled up over their favorite games, it happens, it happens to me with Ultima and Wasteland, Fallout, whatever the hell names you'd want to drop. But I don't need to defend myself against inflammatory comments since I don't mind them in the first place, censorship on the net be lame bro's.

Oh, and Major_Boobage, I am a South African, not a United States born citizen, :D .
Although I guess you didn't feel like reading the part where I praised the story, no, I guess it's easier to look at my residing location instead. Perfectly understandable.
Or maybe I missed the sarcasm, hurr duhr on me.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
EyeNixon said:
Oh, and Major_Boobage, I am a South African, not a United States born citizen, :D .Although I guess you didn't feel like reading the part where I praised the story, no, I guess it's easier to look at my residing location instead. Perfectly understandable.Or maybe I missed the sarcasm, hurr duhr on me.

I did read the entire review and living in the KWA makes you a KWA, thats common knowledge.

I still maintain that it's below average however, and I don't feel a need to defend myself because the review has already been written

Yeah its all good my man. Run away, run away.
paytriotardsm.gif

Carceri

Arcane
EyeNixon said:
I still do believe that Morte is in fact a useless character, his ability as a tank falters once you hit Curst and his damage potential simply isn't high enough. As I said in the review, it's a stark contrast to characters such as Dak'kon or Nordom

Ziiing! This. There is this thingie that bothered me alot. I do not know what this fellow is talking about, but during my Torment escapades Morte was one hell of a tank, from the start till the end, and Dak'kon the worst, despite the fact that he had the best AC and even with blur on him he was always beaten senseless. He endured like a mule but he never grew stronger. His morale was pretty high tough, his zerth blade upgraded just fine and yet the bastard was still a disappointment. Did someone else experienced something similar? Could have been a bug or something or is it just me not being very familiar with the ad&d rules? Someone? Umm, Quinn?

Hegel

Arcane
Major_Boobage said:
EyeNixon said:
Oh, and Major_Boobage, I am a South African, not a United States born citizen, :D .Although I guess you didn't feel like reading the part where I praised the story, no, I guess it's easier to look at my residing location instead. Perfectly understandable.Or maybe I missed the sarcasm, hurr duhr on me.

I did read the entire review and living in the KWA makes you a KWA, thats common knowledge.

I still maintain that it's below average however, and I don't feel a need to defend myself because the review has already been written

Yeah its all good my man. Run away, run away.
paytriotardsm.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFg46Uwrge0&feature=related

Hegel

Arcane
Carceri said:
EyeNixon said:
I still do believe that Morte is in fact a useless character, his ability as a tank falters once you hit Curst and his damage potential simply isn't high enough. As I said in the review, it's a stark contrast to characters such as Dak'kon or Nordom

Ziiing! This. There is this thingie that bothered me alot. I do not know what this fellow is talking about, but during my Torment escapades Morte was one hell of a tank, from the start till the end, and Dak'kon the worst, despite the fact that he had the best AC and even with blur on him he was always beaten senseless. He endured like a mule but he never grew stronger. His morale was pretty high tough, his zerth blade upgraded just fine and yet the bastard was still a disappointment. Did someone else experienced something similar? Could have been a bug or something or is it just me not being very familiar with the ad&d rules? Someone? Umm, Quinn?
Yes, he was a mage.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Carceri said:
EyeNixon said:

I dont understand this too. Morte was a good fighter once you found those best pair of teeth. Maybe he didnt find those.

Qwinn

Scholar
Just a quick aside, on Dak'kon's sword upgrade:

Dak'kon's blade was meant to upgrade in two ways: based on level (upgrades at 4, 7, and 10), and further based on what your morale is when he reaches those levels. The level upgrades always worked, the morale upgrade barely did because your morale reset every 8 game hours, so unless you just happened to reach levels 4, 7 or 10 within 8 game hours of doing the Circle with him, you never saw the morale upgrades. For those who don't know, scient fixed the morale reset thing in my Fixpack version 3.0.

That said, the "medium morale" swords were really the best sword he could get - unless you think one extra 3rd level spell slot is better than a permanent -3 AC. I don't. So, the fact that his upgrade didn't work didn't matter - you always got his best sword (with a whopping total -6 AC bonus) for free anyway. With my Fixpack, you actually gotta treat him right to get his best blade now.

Anyways.

As far as tanking, it does partly depend on whether Morte was ever upgraded. That gives him some important improvements to his AC and such. With the upgrade, Morte's AC is about the same as Vhailor's. It is much worse than Dak'kon's, though. Dak'kon can get impressive AC, whereas it never gets much better than AC2 for Morte.

BUT. Morte takes 25% of the damage that Dak'kon, Vhailor, or anyone else do. That is an incredible bonus, better than a higher AC IMO. Why? Well, it's pretty much equivalent to Morte having 4 times as many hit points, except, no, it's even better than that. If it really were 4x the hit points, then no way could any healer ever keep up with the damage he's taking. When he's really only taking 7 hit points of damage when that Curst Gone demon lashes out 28, Fall from Grace can easily keep up with the heals.

I've tried it. It works. Morte can easily tank the Moridor's Box demon, and FFG can just barely keep up healing him. Try tanking it with any other character, and they will die, FAST. Even with their better AC, they take too much damage and die and FFG cannot keep up.

That's the definition of a "good tank" to me. Well that, and the abiliity to taunt and take aggro, and Morte is the ONLY one that can do that in the game. I'm curious what definition our reviewer has. Did he just look at the AC, and say, oh wow, this guy can't tank, ignoring the damage resistances?

Fact is, even if Morte had an AC of 10, any enemy would still have to dish out over 400 points of damage to Morte to kill him, assuming no heals. That's gonna take a really long time, I don't care who's hitting you. With heals, a -hell- of a lot longer (cause, for all intents and purposes, FFG's heals on Morte are quadrupled). Any creature with a high THACO can pretty much ignore Dak'kon's AC and wipe him out with a 100 or so points of damage, and heals won't make much of a difference.

So who's the better tank? Morte, by a mile, IMO.

Qwinn

Qwinn

Scholar
Oh, and on paper, the best teeth for Morte are the highest upgraded version of Ingress's Teeth. Mostly because of that THACO +3.

Except that THACO bonus doesn't work in the vanilla game :( It doesn't work on my Fixpack 3.0 yet either, cause I just discovered that recently. The THACO bonus on Ingress's teeth will work in Fixpack 4.0.

Qwinn

Carceri

Arcane
No surprise then, that Morte was the best fighter in my party.

Anyway

Qwinn said:
Dak'kon's blade was meant to upgrade in two ways: based on level (upgrades at 4, 7, and 10), and further based on what your morale is when he reaches those levels. The level upgrades always worked, the morale upgrade barely did because your morale reset every 8 game hours, so unless you just happened to reach levels 4, 7 or 10 within 8 game hours of doing the Circle with him, you never saw the morale upgrades.

Heh, this explains why Dak'kon got the best morale upgrade blade first and after that only the medium. I was wondering what the hell did I said wrong to him. Thank you for clarifying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom